Mockingjay

by Suzanne Collins

Series: The Hunger Games (3)

35,444164045 (3.92)1 / 837
Having survived the Hunger Games twice before, Katniss Everdeen is lucky to be alive. However, she is far from safe. With the Capitol and President Snow blaming her for the strife plaguing District 12, Katniss must sacrifice herself to protect her loved ones.
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (mariah2)
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (mariah2)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (sarkisi_beyaz)
    Tomorrow, When the War Began by John Marsden (zimzimzoo)
    zimzimzoo: The Hunger Games and Tomorrow, When the War Began have the same kind of feel - technically they're Science Fiction novels, but they feel more like survival stories with a bit of romance mixed in. I highly recommend both series.
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (airdna)
    The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau (callen610)
    The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness (jm501)
    The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer (mariah2)
    Wither by Lauren DeStefano (Bellyn)
    The Rebel Within by Lance Erlick (magelet87)
    magelet87: Ultimate Girl Power about a girl who wants to change her place in the world and think for herself and make her own opinions on how things should be. And change them.
    The Dead Republic by Roddy Doyle (Othemts)
    Othemts: Both books tell of the torment of a revolutionary used and abused by both sides in the battle and finally broken in their humanity.
    Roadside Picnic by Arkady Strugatsky (aethercowboy)
    aethercowboy: The rebel assault in Mockingjay is very reminiscent of the Strugatsky bros. book.
    Matched by Ally Condie (glade1)
    The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing, Traitor to the Nation, Volume II: The Kingdom on the Waves by M. T. Anderson (Othemts)
    Battle Royale Ultimate Edition Volume 1 (v. 1) by Koushun Takami (gaialover)
    Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore (cransell)

English (1,581)  German (10)  Dutch (8)  Spanish (7)  Italian (6)  French (3)  Catalan (3)  Hungarian (2)  Finnish (2)  Romanian (1)  Danish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (1,625)
Ending seemed rushed and could been more detailed ( )
  DanJlaf | May 13, 2021 |
On one hand, I admire Collins for keeping to the reality of the world she created and not turning this into an action-adventure created by Hollywood. There are no heroes here. At least, there aren't any Hero archetypes, not really. Everyone is stuck making choices between bad decisions and worse decisions. Coin is so totally Animal Farming all over the place. Plutarch is a Gamemaker, whether it's the Hunger Games or the rebel war. Gale's full of hate for the Capitol and doesn't care if his traps will kill innocent people, because in his eyes, none of them are innocent. Beetee's just doing his job, giving the rebels every advantage that he can. Katniss is nothing more than a spokesperson in someone else's agenda. Peeta can barely tell reality from the twisted memories Snow subjected him to. They didn't find some inspirational goodness deep down in themselves at the 11th hour. They didn't plan some grand scheme to sneak anyone into the Capitol to kill Snow and end the war by clandestine maneuvers. Katniss and the victors weren't put on the front lines, where they had zero training or right to be. They were saved for the propos and the cameras, to be the faces of the war campaign. Katniss's PTSD is actually given time and breadth in the book, not just done lip service to like I've seen in too many other books that pretend to have a hero suffering from PTSD. The rebels win, but no one's partying in the streets as if there's no other battles to fight. It's grim and it's realistic. I fully believe this is an author who came up with this world and these characters and then let them tell the tale, rather than push the characters around like chess pieces to get the result she wanted whether it made sense or not. That takes guts, especially because readers are going to expect Katniss to be in charge, to be on the front lines, actually fighting. But she's just one girl in a much larger scheme that really has nothing to do with her, except she captured a nation's heart. So she's the heart of the story, but not the war.

On the other hand, the story did drag at times because Katniss wasn't in the action. She does have PTSD that she's wrestling with, so a lot of her time is spent ignoring everything going on around her just so she can get through a fricking day. We're forced into an outsider's perspective when we want to know what's going on because Katniss keeps herself on the fringes as much as she can. And while I do admire Collins for actually portraying Katniss's PTSD realistically, I was also frustrated at times by our Heroine constantly being Overcome With Emotions and Unable to Function, because don't we have enough girls who act like this in media already? It's saved somewhat from being an unfortunate gender implication since we get Peeta struggling with his hijacking issues, and Finnick struggling with his own PTSD, and pretty much all of Haymitch's scenes in the previous two books. So it's clearly not just because "she's a girl" but yet it also sort of does come across as "she's a girl" - though I realize that's probably more to do with preconditioning on my part than what's actually being intended here. It doesn't help when Katniss is constantly having all these men speaking for her, making decisions for her, and saving her.

So overall, I enjoyed the book for what it was and I admire Collins for sticking to her guns. I also understand why so many readers felt disappointed by this book. I'm glad I read the series, since it gives a lot of background you'd miss by just watching the movies, but I will probably never reread these books. I'll certainly rewatch the movies though. ( )
  Linda_Bookworm | May 6, 2021 |
Aunque me ha gustado mucho este libro, se queda con cuatro estrellas (que tampoco está nada mal,eh). La razón es porque a mi parecer el final ha sido precipitado, y por supuesto me hubiese gustado saber un poco sobre la vida de los personajes que también formaron parte de la vida de Katniss. ( )
  ItsAkirex | May 6, 2021 |
It's all downhill from here... Things get incredibly worse for Katniss in the final book of the series... Very different pace than the previous books, found this one to be almost too much with so many different things going on at the same time... Interesting to finally find out about the history of Panem as well... All in all, it was a good finale to the first 2 books... ( )
  sjh4255 | May 4, 2021 |
I love this whole trilogy, but especially the first and third book. This is a book about trust and sacrifice, what happens when you need to trust someone, but you've learn to trust no one. How do you know when something is real or not, when much of what you've been told are lies. When you find that what you are running toward is almost as bad as what you are running from. Katniss the main character has to make decisions that no person should have too make, but especially a 17 year old girl. It is the type of story that at the end of it you are left with more questions the answers and that is a good thing. I highly recommend this trilogy for anyone 11 and above. ( )
  klrabbit58 | May 3, 2021 |
Collins is absolutely ruthless in her depictions of war in all its cruelty, violence, and loss, leaving readers, in turn, repulsed, shocked, grieving and, finally, hopeful for the characters they've grown to empathize with and love. Mockingjay is a fitting end to the series that began with The Hunger Games (2008) and Catching Fire (2009) and will have the same lasting resonance as William Golding's Lord of the Flies and Stephen King's The Stand. However, the book is not a stand-alone; readers do need to be familiar with the first two titles in order to appreciate the events and characters in this one.

The series ends on an ostensibly happy note, but the heartbreaking effects of war and loss aren't sugar-coated. This is one YA novel that will leave you thinking about the ramifications of war on society, not just the coming-of-age of a young woman.

All in all, Mockingjay confirms what we've suspected already — The Hunger Games isn't just a powerful saga about a unique, memorable hero struggling to do the right thing in the public gaze. It's also an important work of science fiction that everyone should read, because if you don't, you'll be left out of all the best conversations.

The novel's biggest surprises are found elsewhere. Hope emerges from despair. Even in a dystopian future, there's a better future.

Fans will be happy to hear that Mockingjay is every bit as complex and imaginative as Hunger Games and Catching Fire.

Collins, SuzanneAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
McCormick, CarolynNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
O'Brien, TimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Parisi, Elizabeth B.Cover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ramírez Tello, PilarTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Cap, Charlie, and Isabel
I stare down at my shoes, watching as a fine layer of ash settles on the worn leather.
My arms rise slightly - as if recalling the black-and-white wings Cinna gave me - then come to rest at my sides. "I'm going to be the Mockingjay."
He understands I don't want anyone with me today. Not even him. Some walks you have to take alone.
And it takes too much energy to stay angry with someone who cries so much.
"No, I want you to rethink it and come up with the right opinion," I tell him.
Frankly, our ancestors don't seem much to brag about. I mean, look at the state they left us in, with the wars and the broken planet. Clearly, they didn't care about what would happen to the people who came after them.

Peeta, Katniss, Gale,
The Hunger Games they had played.
Now it's war they face.
In the aftermath
of the Quarter Quell, all have
to fight their demons.
(passion4reading)
Book one was so good
My appetite waned by two
By three, not hungry

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Suzanne Collins's book Mockingjay was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 158,029,576 books! | Top bar: Always visible