Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

Mockingjay

by Suzanne Collins

Series: The Hunger Games (3)

29,688153431 (3.94)1 / 824
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (mariah2)
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (mariah2)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (sarkisi_beyaz)
    Tomorrow, When The War Began by John Marsden (zimzimzoo)
    zimzimzoo: The Hunger Games and Tomorrow, When the War Began have the same kind of feel - technically they're Science Fiction novels, but they feel more like survival stories with a bit of romance mixed in. I highly recommend both series.
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (airdna)
    The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau (callen610)
    The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness (jm501)
    The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer (mariah2)
    Wither by Lauren DeStefano (Bellyn)
    Matched by Ally Condie (glade1)
    The Rebel Within by Lance Erlick (magelet87)
    magelet87: Ultimate Girl Power about a girl who wants to change her place in the world and think for herself and make her own opinions on how things should be. And change them.
    The Dead Republic by Roddy Doyle (Othemts)
    Othemts: Both books tell of the torment of a revolutionary used and abused by both sides in the battle and finally broken in their humanity.
    Roadside Picnic by Arkady Strugatsky (aethercowboy)
    aethercowboy: The rebel assault in Mockingjay is very reminiscent of the Strugatsky bros. book.
    Battle Royale Ultimate Edition Volume 1 (v. 1) by Koushun Takami (gaialover)
    The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing, Traitor to the Nation, Volume II: The Kingdom on the Waves by M. T. Anderson (Othemts)
    Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore (cransell)

English (1,501)  German (11)  Dutch (8)  Spanish (8)  Italian (5)  French (3)  Catalan (3)  Hungarian (2)  Finnish (2)  Romanian (1)  Danish (1)  All (1)  All (1,546)
4.5 stars ( )
  mitabird | Jun 10, 2018 |
Katniss is waked in the destroyed district 12 which is her former home. She is still traumatized from the rescue at the quarter quell arena and is recovering. Katniss decided to live in district 13 in which people thought was the poorest district of them all. There is a secret underground nuclear development program and threatened to send a nuke to the capitol. Katniss, Prim, Gale. and her mother lives there for now. Katniss doesn't quite trust the president Coin militant but is still there. Coin needs Katniss for the symbol of the rebellion which is a Mockingjay, which might get other districts to join. They want the Mockingjay to keep up hopes within districts and to show president Snow that they will not give up and lose. Katniss first job was to film Propos. Fulvia tries to put Katniss on stage, but her bad acting she decides she's better off just being natural and herself. Gale and Katniss go to district 8 to a makeshift hospital. The capitol attacks district 8 including the hospital. Katniss's film crew was also there with her and she says to the camera "If we burn, you burn with us" Katniss really needs to come out of all of this alive and sane. President Snow has every intention to break and destroy Katniss. She's not only in an arena, she's in a war. The rebels decide to have a rescue mission to Peeta, Annie, and Johanna. The mission was successful and Katniss was thrilled to see Peeta, but he tries to strangle her. Katniss finds out that the capitol decided to brainwash Peeta and put fake memories into him, he thinks Katniss is a mortal enemy. Katniss is needed in district 2 to get inside a mountain which is where the capitol keeps all its weaponry. Gale creates a ruthless plan not worrying about the miners trying to get inside in the mountain, the plan was to create an avalanche which will alert the capitol and trap miners inside the mountain. It's an insane idea which could risk Katniss and everyone trying to get inside. Coin likes the idea and it surprisingly succeeds. Katniss is shocked and shaking, she uses this opportunity to demand and message the capitol to step down and surrender since it's obvious they're losing it. While she was filming, two trains full of survivors come out of the mountain many armed. A battle starts and Katniss tries to negotiate with them, she gets shot in the process.

Mockingjay is all about a story in real life of people broken by war and PTSD survivors. Katniss in this book is in a cycle of just broken and normal throughout the book. I know I skipped some parts of the book, but this book was more of a narrative experience than an action experience. The previous two books were more of an action type. The ending was more realistic than ever, with them winning the war. Katniss and Peeta are sent back to district 12 in freedom, Gale gets a fancy job in district 2, Paylor is now president, Coin and Snow are now dead, and Katniss and Peeta try to grow together and move on with life. 20 years after they have children and even though they're still cursed and haunted by the memories of the Hunger Games, both of them are trying to stay together and be there for each other. Katniss chose Peeta since she can't have Gale for his inner fire which Katniss already has. It wouldn't be impossible, it's just realistic. All of them have been through hell and back since war is really just everything you don't want it to be. It's amazing how much Katniss has grown to sustain the memories and everything that has happened to her. ( )
  GabrielG.G1 | Jun 1, 2018 |
I loved this book because of how the conflict was resolved ( )
  Anthony_Perez | May 30, 2018 |
The hijacking of the 2010 Bookerthon continues. After the cliffhanger at the end of Catching Fire, it's impossible NOT to pick up Mockingjay at the first opportunity. Also, my kids were dying for me to finish the series so we can discuss it.

I was okay with the way everything wrapped up. (So were the kids--none of them were invested in the love triangle, so no one was upset about how it ended. Also, my nine-year-old loved the epilogue--he said it pulled the whole series together.) My problem with the book was that it seemed oddly paced. The ending felt rushed, and yet there were sections of the book in which little seemed to be happening.

But I still like Katniss and Haymitch and Peeta and Gale, and I was still happy to discover the resolution of their story. ( )
  GaylaBassham | May 27, 2018 |
Heartbreaking conclusion... that's all I can really say. I read it awhile back but I was looking at it on my bookshelf the other day after seeing Mockingjay Part 2 at the movies. I remember being slightly numb after finishing this book, as if I couldn't believe what had happened. Its a really great book series that I would recommend to anyone. While this wasn't my favorite book in the series, it was still great and deserves all the love it had received. ( )
  spellbindingstories | May 24, 2018 |
Collins is absolutely ruthless in her depictions of war in all its cruelty, violence, and loss, leaving readers, in turn, repulsed, shocked, grieving and, finally, hopeful for the characters they've grown to empathize with and love. Mockingjay is a fitting end to the series that began with The Hunger Games (2008) and Catching Fire (2009) and will have the same lasting resonance as William Golding's Lord of the Flies and Stephen King's The Stand. However, the book is not a stand-alone; readers do need to be familiar with the first two titles in order to appreciate the events and characters in this one.

The series ends on an ostensibly happy note, but the heartbreaking effects of war and loss aren't sugar-coated. This is one YA novel that will leave you thinking about the ramifications of war on society, not just the coming-of-age of a young woman.

All in all, Mockingjay confirms what we've suspected already — The Hunger Games isn't just a powerful saga about a unique, memorable hero struggling to do the right thing in the public gaze. It's also an important work of science fiction that everyone should read, because if you don't, you'll be left out of all the best conversations.

The novel's biggest surprises are found elsewhere. Hope emerges from despair. Even in a dystopian future, there's a better future.

Fans will be happy to hear that Mockingjay is every bit as complex and imaginative as Hunger Games and Catching Fire.

Collins, Suzanneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
McCormick, CarolynNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
O'Brien, TimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Parisi, Elizabeth B.Cover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ramírez Tello, PilarTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Cap, Charlie, and Isabel
I stare down at my shoes, watching as a fine layer of ash settles on the worn leather.
My arms rise slightly - as if recalling the black-and-white wings Cinna gave me - then come to rest at my sides. "I'm going to be the Mockingjay."
He understands I don't want anyone with me today. Not even him. Some walks you have to take alone.
And it takes too much energy to stay angry with someone who cries so much.
"No, I want you to rethink it and come up with the right opinion," I tell him.
Frankly, our ancestors don't seem much to brag about. I mean, look at the state they left us in, with the wars and the broken planet. Clearly, they didn't care about what would happen to the people who came after them.
MY NAME IS KATNISS EVERDEEN.
WHY AM I NOT DEAD?
I SHOULD BE DEAD.

Katniss Everdeen, girl on fire, has survived, even though her home has been destroyed. Gale has escaped. Katniss's family is safe. Peeta has been captured by the Capitol. District 13 really does exist. There are rebels. There are new leaders. A revolution is unfolding.

It is by design that Katniss was rescued from the arena in the cruel and haunting Quarter Quell, and it is by design that she has long been part of the revolution without knowing it. District 13 has come out of the shadows and is plotting to overthrow the Capitol. Everyone, it seems, has had a hand in the carefully laid plans — except Katniss.

The success of the rebellion hinges on Katniss's willingness to be a pawn, to accept responsibility for countless lives, and to change the course of the future of Panem. To do this, she must put aside her feelings of anger and distrust. She must become the Mockingjay of the rebels — no matter what the personal cost.

BL: 5.3 - AR Pts: 15.0
Peeta, Katniss, Gale, The Hunger Games they had played. Now it's war they face.
In the aftermath
of the Quarter Quell, all have
to fight their demons.
(passion4reading)
Book one was so good
My appetite waned by two
By three, not hungry

Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has survived the Hunger Games twice. But now that she's made it out of the bloody arena alive, she's still not safe. A revolution is unfolding, and it is up to Katniss to accept responsibility for countless lives and to change the course of the future of Panem.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Suzanne Collins's book Mockingjay was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,545,971 books! | Top bar: Always visible