Mockingjay

by Suzanne Collins

Series: The Hunger Games (3)

35,609163245 (3.92)1 / 839
Having survived the Hunger Games twice before, Katniss Everdeen is lucky to be alive. However, she is far from safe. With the Capitol and President Snow blaming her for the strife plaguing District 12, Katniss must sacrifice herself to protect her loved ones.
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (mariah2)
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (mariah2)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (sarkisi_beyaz)
    Tomorrow, When the War Began by John Marsden (zimzimzoo)
    zimzimzoo: The Hunger Games and Tomorrow, When the War Began have the same kind of feel - technically they're Science Fiction novels, but they feel more like survival stories with a bit of romance mixed in. I highly recommend both series.
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (airdna)
    The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau (callen610)
    The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness (jm501)
    The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer (mariah2)
    Wither by Lauren DeStefano (Bellyn)
    The Rebel Within by Lance Erlick (magelet87)
    magelet87: Ultimate Girl Power about a girl who wants to change her place in the world and think for herself and make her own opinions on how things should be. And change them.
    The Dead Republic by Roddy Doyle (Othemts)
    Othemts: Both books tell of the torment of a revolutionary used and abused by both sides in the battle and finally broken in their humanity.
    Roadside Picnic by Arkady Strugatsky (aethercowboy)
    aethercowboy: The rebel assault in Mockingjay is very reminiscent of the Strugatsky bros. book.
    Matched by Ally Condie (glade1)
    The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing, Traitor to the Nation, Volume II: The Kingdom on the Waves by M. T. Anderson (Othemts)
    Battle Royale Ultimate Edition Volume 1 (v. 1) by Koushun Takami (gaialover)
    Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore (cransell)

English (1,583)  German (10)  Dutch (8)  Spanish (7)  Italian (6)  French (3)  Catalan (3)  Hungarian (2)  Finnish (2)  Romanian (1)  Danish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (1,627)
This review containers spoilers for Mockingjay.

At one point in the book, Joanna Mason, one of the victors from Catching Fire, has this exchange with Katniss:

"Is that why you hate me?" I ask.
"Partly," she admits. "Jealousy is certainly involved. I also think you're a little hard to swallow. With your tacky romantic drama and your defender-of-the-helpless act. Only it isn't an act, which make you more unbearable. Please feel free to take this personally."

I like Joanna because she sums up why I only give Mockinjay, the last book in the Hunger Games trilogy, a 3.5 -- although Goodreads only allows me to give full stars. About half of the book is Katniss moping around or mooning or complaining or whining or otherwise not moving the plot along much at all. Entire chapters devolve into "and Katniss feels bad." I get she feels bad and she's had some unbelievably bad life experiences at the hands of the Capital that defy belief but she's also the main viewpoint character and the complaining got old.

The other half of the book is full of action sequences, one more implausible than the next. And here are some of my bigger plot gripes:

- Anyone notice Katniss gets turned into Hawkeye? Anyone? I couldn't decide if this was good or bad, honestly. On one hand, thumbs up Avengers! On the other hand... isn't Hawkeye in the Avengers? It turns out I like the character of Beetee and I did like District 13s crazy cache of technology and weaponry but this felt silly.

- The bombing of District 12 which, on any level of examination, makes no sense. If District 12 is mining, and the military uses coal to run its generators for the mountain military base for the scene with District 2, doesn't blowing up District 12... shoot the Capital in the foot? Or, as everything seems to run on nuclear -- those hovercraft ain't steampunk -- what was the point of District 12 the whole time? A buffer to District 13?

- Everyone forgets Peeta is missing a leg. The whole book forgets Peeta is missing a leg. I suppose the new leg is so awesome it no longer needs mention? And why does Peeta, who, I should mention, is missing a leg sent on a military mission for District 13 after they made such a hoopty-do about military training and people going on military missions being in military fit condition? Why is Peeta thrown in with their squad? This makes no sense whatsoever.

- Why is the entire military of the Capital housed under one mountain in District 12? Can they not... find two mountains? A mountain and a big sprawling fort? I dunno, a mountain and a freaking castle? Who designs their military to have one massive point of failure?

- And my biggest gripe: why the hell did the Capital trap the entire city where normal people live like the Arena? I was completely down with the Arena-like mobile pods of death. Those rocked hard. But when streets opened up into whirring meatwheels of death, I was like... okay, shark? You have been jumped.

I can go on and on. The whole book doesn't work.

It sounds and feels like sour grapes for a kid's book that never made the slightest pretension of sci-fi worldbuilding. I rolled with it in Hunger Games and Catching Fire because the centerpiece, Katniss, and what happened to her was gripping and awful enough to keep the book rolling. Here, in Mockingjay, the actual rebellion is abstracted out as big events unfold offscreen (notably Peeta's rescue). The whole world is in flames and we see Katniss curled up in a corner. Good sequences, like the bombing of District 13 and the firefight in District 8, are overshadowed by strings of "buh" moments. For a big global rebellion, the book is missing some essential meat. I can't see it. Even the news updates aren't enough. Like Katniss, I can only know about it in the abstract, and it makes the first 70% of the book unsatisfying.

The final end is good. Mockingjay gets back a star for the final pages.

I wanted more. I didn't get more. The book is the weakest of the three. Of course read it to finish off the series, but no reason to re-read a second time. ( )
  multiplexer | Jun 20, 2021 |
K pub 2009? read 2010
  18cran | Jun 2, 2021 |
God.

I don't know what to say.

This was amazing. And depressing. And so not enjoyable, till you come to the conclusion that it's realistic.

So, knowing this was the last past of this series, I expected some bloodshed. Some of my favourite characters to go. But I most certainly did not expect anything close to this book.

This book. *shakes head**starts wailing and sobbing again*

This cannot be discussed without spoilers, so: WHHHYYYYYYY!!??!?!?!?!?!?? WHHHHYYY?!?!?!?!?!

I thought the last book was heartbreaking.

Evidently, I was wrong.

So, lets start out with who all died I didn't want to die. The first and foremost name is Prim. Why did she have to die?!?!?!? You could have killed anyone else?!?!?! Like Gale maybe??!?!?!?! I wouldn't have minded that as much (I think). WHHHHYYYYY PRIM!?!?!?!??!? I thought I would be strong-willed enough to give this book a one star to deliver on my threats.....but then the ending.......

Next, we have Finnick. That was uncalled for. I don't have a lot to say on this, but that was uncalled for In fact, all those deaths helping her escape were UNCALLED FOR

Now that I think of it, there weren't that many deaths that I wanted reversed at all. I think it was Prim and Finnick's death that overshadowed.....

The next thing, Peeta was......Not okay.....But I'm seriously glad he got better. And, I'm really glad Gale was rejected (more or less).

Now, why this book was a little depressing: it was realistic. This is a good thing, but I don't love realistic when it's to this degree. So happy with the realisticness, but really sad with the degree.

I think almost all last books of series are depressing when you think about it. Everyone's dying, people are realising a lot of stuff...everything is ending, in one way or another.

What I probably loved most in this series, is the realisticness. (I know that sounds contradictory, but that's the way it is). The way media is portrayed, scenes are choreographed, how people seem to be something, but might be something else entirely, how dictatorships and democracies work, how all governments work, how politics works, how the human mind works.......this series provides an insight into all of that, and makes you question some of your heartfelt beliefs; Gale's and Katniss' arguments in this book portray that very accurately.

I...... think I loved it and I recommend it to anyone who likes fantasy, read the first two books, and wants a bit of realisticness. ( )
  trisha_tomy | Jun 1, 2021 |
I have mixed feelings about the book. I need to think about it more to sort my thoughts. This one is my least favorite of the trilogy. ( )
  amcheri | May 25, 2021 |
Ending seemed rushed and could been more detailed ( )
  DanJlaf | May 13, 2021 |
Collins is absolutely ruthless in her depictions of war in all its cruelty, violence, and loss, leaving readers, in turn, repulsed, shocked, grieving and, finally, hopeful for the characters they've grown to empathize with and love. Mockingjay is a fitting end to the series that began with The Hunger Games (2008) and Catching Fire (2009) and will have the same lasting resonance as William Golding's Lord of the Flies and Stephen King's The Stand. However, the book is not a stand-alone; readers do need to be familiar with the first two titles in order to appreciate the events and characters in this one.

The series ends on an ostensibly happy note, but the heartbreaking effects of war and loss aren't sugar-coated. This is one YA novel that will leave you thinking about the ramifications of war on society, not just the coming-of-age of a young woman.

All in all, Mockingjay confirms what we've suspected already — The Hunger Games isn't just a powerful saga about a unique, memorable hero struggling to do the right thing in the public gaze. It's also an important work of science fiction that everyone should read, because if you don't, you'll be left out of all the best conversations.

The novel's biggest surprises are found elsewhere. Hope emerges from despair. Even in a dystopian future, there's a better future.

Fans will be happy to hear that Mockingjay is every bit as complex and imaginative as Hunger Games and Catching Fire.

Collins, SuzanneAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
McCormick, CarolynNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
O'Brien, TimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Parisi, Elizabeth B.Cover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ramírez Tello, PilarTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Cap, Charlie, and Isabel
I stare down at my shoes, watching as a fine layer of ash settles on the worn leather.
My arms rise slightly - as if recalling the black-and-white wings Cinna gave me - then come to rest at my sides. "I'm going to be the Mockingjay."
He understands I don't want anyone with me today. Not even him. Some walks you have to take alone.
And it takes too much energy to stay angry with someone who cries so much.
"No, I want you to rethink it and come up with the right opinion," I tell him.
Frankly, our ancestors don't seem much to brag about. I mean, look at the state they left us in, with the wars and the broken planet. Clearly, they didn't care about what would happen to the people who came after them.

Peeta, Katniss, Gale,
The Hunger Games they had played.
Now it's war they face.
In the aftermath
of the Quarter Quell, all have
to fight their demons.
(passion4reading)
Book one was so good
My appetite waned by two
By three, not hungry

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Suzanne Collins's book Mockingjay was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,088,369 books! | Top bar: Always visible