The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken

The Darkest Minds

by Alexandra Bracken

Series: Darkest Minds (1)

Unwind by Neal Shusterman (aeleone)
    aeleone: Similar set up with children abandoned by their parents sent to a camp. The Unwind series does not have supernatural powers, but it does have a very messed up world in which children are not valued.

English (108)  German (2)  All languages (110)
(delayed review) - good enough I finished the book - not enough to read the next volume ( )
  jason9292 | Jul 13, 2018 |
I will first start off by saying this was a good book, not my favorite, but certainly not my worst. Of all the books I have read this would be top thirty of about five or six hundred books. As the story progressed I was a little confused by how some backstory elements were hinted at, but not explained until almost the end of the novel, but that is not necessarily a horrible thing, it adds to the drama towards the end of the novel. I enjoyed the end as it left clear room for another book (or the addition of an entire series) and reading the introduction to the next book left me waiting to get the next copy the following day. I have already read the rest of the series, but at the time I just finished book one, I was thinking, I hope the rest of the books don't take a crazy spin where buddy boy Liam turns bad. I was not disappointed. ( )
  ShadowCorbin | Jul 13, 2018 |
When she was ten years old, Ruby survived a disease killing off children in America. But the survivors get special powers ranked by color, green, blue, yellow, red, and orange. When Ruby escapes Thurmond, a "rehabilitation" camp years later she meets Liam, Chubs, and Zu. But they are being hunted by Lady Jane. The foursome make it to the east river, a safe haven for psi kids, but they barely escape forcing Ruby to join the Children's Leauge where Lady Jane works. ( )
  JaycieG.B2 | May 31, 2018 |
A pretty good book, and while I look forward to reading the rest of the series, I am afraid the rest won't be as good. ( )
  Freakinmarypoppins | May 13, 2018 |
This book should really be getting 4.5 stars.

First things first: major props to the characters for not losing their shit and acting incredibly stupid every single time that something went bad for them/those around them. And trust me, these guys had a ton of bad things go wrong for them.

Second: I actually cried when we found out that Cole died. I'll be honest, though I love Liam, I was really hoping that if one of the brothers had to die it would have been him. I really wanted Cole to see that being a Red didn't make him a monster and for him to finally get to step back and relax while others took care of things for once, but instead he ended up dying a horrific death. I certainly don't begrudge Liam surviving though.

Third: The humor in this book was great! I absolutely LOVE Chubs and Vida, the two of them together were hilarious. I was cheering Chubs on whole-heartedly when he spoke up about the government's shitty plans for the psi kids at the end.

Fourth: Vida. Mother fucking Vida, man. She was my favorite character. She was so hilarious in all her interactions with people. I also liked getting to see that she wasn't a total hard-case when she freaked out about Cate and Jude, and eventually started getting close to Zu.

Fifth: The government's plan for the psi kids. What the shit was up with that? (good writing, but the plan was infuriating on a human level). They really thought that they could get away with that? Good on Chubs for speaking up and Senator Cruz for supporting him, although not in an outspoken way.

Sixth: That ending. That ending was sweet and had me feeling happy for the characters. I thought they were going to end up in a black van though to end up going full circle with Black Betty, but no dice! haha.

Seventh: The "cure" & cause for the psi abilities. What the hell? After everything the children have gone through, they should ALL be able to choose if they want to receive the operation, no one should be able to make that choice for them (with the exceptions of the ones so mentally damaged that they couldn't be trusted not to harm/kill others). However, I believe that Ruby made the right choice concerning Clancy.

Eighth: I still think Clancy was right about one thing, that their abilities should be considered gifts and exercised, but his methods for use were waaay out of line. ( )
  Moore31 | Feb 25, 2018 |

Alexandra Brackenprimary authorall editionscalculated
McFadden, AmyReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bezzenberger, Marie-Luisesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lemoine, DanielTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Murillo, IsabelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Yuen, SammyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Stephanie and Daniel, who were in every minivan with me
PROLOGUE: When the white noise went off, we were in the garden, pulling weeds.
Grace Somerfield was the first to die.

"Sixteen-year-old Ruby breaks out of a government-run 'rehabilitation camp' for teens who acquired dangerous powers after surviving a virus that wiped out most American children"--

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,985,542 books! | Top bar: Always visible