The Darkest Minds

by Alexandra Bracken

Series: Darkest Minds (1)

"Sixteen-year-old Ruby breaks out of a government-run 'rehabilitation camp' for teens who acquired dangerous powers after surviving a virus that wiped out most American children"--
    Unwind by Neal Shusterman (aeleone)
    aeleone: Similar set up with children abandoned by their parents sent to a camp. The Unwind series does not have supernatural powers, but it does have a very messed up world in which children are not valued.

English (131)  German (1)  All languages (132)
I enjoyed this book and I really look forward to watching the movie this weekend. Ok, so in this story all children have suffered from some kind of illness that has killed most of them. The ones that survive end up with special abilities. The world doesn't really know what to do with them so they are sent to the "rehabilitation camps" which are pretty much prison camps where the children are tested on and treated terribly. After spending 6 years in one, Ruby finally manages to get out and joins a group of other kids that have also managed to escape their own camp. Everyone seems to have some kind of secret or agenda and knowing who can be trusted is tricky.

4 stars when I read it in 2018
5 stars when I read it in 2021.

For my full 2021 review check out my wrap up vlog. https://youtu.be/6_EFasi4gAE ( )
  Completely_Melanie | Sep 10, 2021 |
"The darkest minds tend to hide behind the most unlikely faces."

So, finally walls have been built on the US borders against Canada and Mexico, but it's to keep the American people in. NOT to keep other countries out. Only kids between the ages of 8-14 have been susceptible to a plague. It's not about all of the kids dying though, it's about the survivors. They came out with special abilities ranked Green, Blue, Yellow, Orange, and Red (in that order). The kids have been rounded up by the government and were put into 'rehabilitation' camps so that the kids can 'one day be brought back to society' basically a bunch of BS told by the president. The kids are treated like slaves, aren't allowed to talk or use their abilities, and work at gun point. Our main character, Ruby, has done some pretty terrible stuff, and I love how everything is explained to the reader through events. The entire book was entertaining and didn't slow down. I loved every moment, from her escape to every other thing that I won't mention for sake of not spoiling haha.

I loved the characters so much I just wanted to be part of the book and have a group hug
Liam and Ruby's relationship was the best ( )
  Nikki_Sojkowski | Aug 26, 2021 |
I read this book after seeing the movie (back in 2018) and honestly I loved the movie then and love this book now. I'm a sucker for YA dystopian, so this really checked all my boxes. ( )
  thinktink93 | Jul 5, 2021 |
SUCH A GOOD BOOK!FIVE STARS!

I'm not exaggerating. I love Ruby and Liam. I'm definitely going to read the next book(s)!

Good job Alexandra Bracken! :) Thanks for the wonderful read! ( )
  sraazad | Jul 1, 2021 |
The comparisons to The Hunger Games seem pretty inevitable when talking about this book because all dystopian YA novels featuring a female main character will be compared to The Hunger Games now and until the heat-death of the universe. I definitely liked this book's approach to its dystopia however. Many of these books take place years after whatever event carved up their society into weird castes but in this the characters are the first generation in the Event. They're the Patient Zeros of their apocalypse and following Ruby as she explores this disintegrating America was interesting and unsettlingly familiar at times. The standard YA dystopian romance was fine. Personally I was more interested in the growing friendship between Ruby and Chubs and I hope that it doesn't morph into a love triangle because books that feature a platonic friendship between teenage boys and girls are way too rare. Some of the road-trip parts dragged a bit and the endgame villain was so obvious that it was insulting that Ruby didn't make him right away but overall, I think this series is bringing some unique elements to the table and I want to see what Ruby is going to do next. ( )
1 vote jobinsonlis | May 11, 2021 |

Alexandra Brackenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bezzenberger, Marie-LuiseTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Borzobohata-Sawicka, MariaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lemoine, DanielTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McFadden, AmyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Murillo, IsabelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Yuen, SammyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Stephanie and Daniel, who were in every minivan with me
PROLOGUE: When the white noise went off, we were in the garden, pulling weeds.
Grace Somerfield was the first to die.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,261,112 books! | Top bar: Always visible