The Chrysalids

by John Wyndham

4,1731092,332 (3.91)1 / 321
In the community of Waknut, it is believed that mutants are the products of the Devil and must be stamped out. When David befriends a girl with a slight abnormality, he begins to understand the nature of fear and oppression. When he develops his own deviation, he must learn to conceal his secret.
Recently added bybibliophile_pgh, framji, SwatiRavi, Bram-Kaandorp, private library
    The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (bertilak)
    The Midwich Cuckoos by John Wyndham (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    SomeGuyInVirginia: Each book compliments the other, describing the same fundamental theme from two points of view. I enjoyed the Midwich Cuckoos more.
    The Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham (sturlington)
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (Z-Ryan)
    Obernewtyn by Isobelle Carmody (_Zoe_, bookel)
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (Anonymous user)
    The Long Tomorrow by Leigh Brackett (Z-Ryan, craso)
    craso: Post-Apocalyptic novels with religious zealots.
    Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes (hilge)
    hilge: Not so much based on characters or storyline more a general feel to the book that make them feel like good matches
    Foundation by Isaac Asimov (br77rino)
    The Mind Traders by J. Hunter Holly (bookel)
    Sunburst by Phyllis Gotlieb (ShelfMonkey)
    Children of Morrow by H. M. Hoover (infiniteletters)
    Touch Not the Cat by Mary Stewart (KayCliff)
    Child of the Hive by Jessica Meats (MinaKelly)
    Groogleman by Debra Doyle (bmlg)
    bmlg: post-collapse stories with young protagonists confronting issues of humanity and identity
    The Long Mynd by Edward P. Hughes (infiniteletters)
    X-Men: God Loves, Man Kills by Chris Claremont (JGKC)
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (br77rino)
1950s (53)

English (111)  Italian (1)  All languages (112)
I was surprised at how interested I became as I read this. A very believable world, with believable characters. I enjoyed it. ( )
  Michael_J | Jun 2, 2022 |
This is Wyndham's third sci-fi novel from the 1950s, and it's a considerable step up from the earlier two books. All three share a dystopian view of the future, but this one excels in the story telling. The other two were unpolished and lacking some spark - like watching a black-and-white movie, while this one is compelling reading.
The scenario and plot are simple, but the writing grips the reader - the characters develop through the book, and I found myself willing them along as the book progressed. ( )
  mbmackay | Feb 6, 2022 |
1000 years after a nuclear apocalypse, some children have psychic powers.

3/4 (Good).

It's short and engaging, set in an interesting world. It doesn't have much in the way of surprises beyond the early world-building - especially the ending, which very much just wraps everything up because it's time for the book to be over.

(Jan. 2022) ( )
  comfypants | Jan 22, 2022 |
Wyndham is a wonderful story teller, and this is another of his gifts to us. Humanity is getting a bit much these days. The idea that change is the only constant does make sense, as does the idea that to survive we must evolve. Given that this was written almost 70 years ago, it feels very modern, so little have we progressed. A pity. ( )
  TomMcGreevy | Dec 28, 2021 |
This post-apocalyptic novel has really good pacing, telling a nightmarish story in a lighter way than I would have thought possible. Also, as a Canadian, I was tickled pink that the story took place in Labrador. Was definitely trying to guess how the places they talked about mapped onto present-day place names.

This book was a possible choice for students in Grade 9 where I went to high school, and I can see this being a good book for that age group to study. ( )
  rabbitprincess | Dec 19, 2021 |
Wyndham lumbers his characters with some verbose, pompous speeches about human nature, but his points are still interesting and as relevant today as when he wrote the book in 1955. It's also a ripping adventure.
added by andyl | editThe Observer, Alice Fisher (Dec 7, 2008)

Wyndham, Johnprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Powell, RobertNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Powers, Richard M.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Priest, ChristopherIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Salwowski, MarkCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
When I was quite small I would sometimes dream of a city -- which was strange because it began before I even knew what a city was.
There was the power of gods in the hands of children, we know: but were they MAD children, all of them quite mad?
The essential quality of life is living; the essential quality of living is change; change is evolution: and we are part of it.
No one would dream of mentioning [childbirth] openly until the inspector should have called to issue his certificate that it was a human baby in the true image. Should it unhappily turn out to violate the image and thus be ineligible for a certificate, everyone would continue to be unaware of it, and the whole regrettable incident would be deemed not to have occurred.
Re-Birth is the US title of The Chrysalids.

In the community of Waknuk it is believed mutants are the products of the Devil and must be stamped out. When David befriends a girl with a slight abnormality, he begins to understand the nature of fear and oppression. When he develops his own deviation, he must learn to conceal his secret.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

John Wyndham's book The Chrysalids was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141181478, 0141032979, 0141045434

NYRB Classics

An edition of this book was published by NYRB Classics.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,748,807 books! | Top bar: Always visible