HomeGroupsTalkExplore

The Midwich Cuckoos (1957)

by John Wyndham

2,718764,628 (3.79)1 / 324
In the sleepy English village of Midwich, a mysterious silver object appears and all the inhabitants fall unconscious. A day later the object is gone and everyone awakens unharmed - except that all the women in the village are discovered to be pregnant. The resultant children of Midwich do not belong to their parents: all are blonde, all are golden eyed. They grow up too fast and their minds exhibit frightening abilities that give them control over others and brings them into conflict with the villagers just as a chilling realisation dawns on the world outside . . . The Midwich Cuckoos is the classic tale of aliens in our midst, exploring how we respond when confronted by those who are innately superior to us in every conceivable way.… (more)

Group TopicMessagesLast Message
 And we Recommend...: The Midwich Cuckoos1 unread / 1zjakkelien, August 2011

English (75)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (76)
The Midwich Cuckoos by John Wyndham is a disturbing science fiction tale of group think and alien fertilisation of human beings. Read my book review at John C Adams Reviews.

https://www.johncadamsreviews.com/single-post/the-midwich-cuckoos-by-john-wyndha... ( )
  johncadamssf | Dec 7, 2022 |
I read a few Wyndham books when I was a teenager and "Triffids" remains one of my favourite books. I almost certainly read this one then too but had forgotten most of it although like most people I know the general outline. I thoroughly enjoyed this audiobook. It doesn't touch "Triffids" but it's still a great book. Some bits made me wince - as very reflective of 1950s attitudes but a reader just has to accept that. But it also had hints of more modern attitudes as well. Hints of a gay relationship, women who don't accept that they have to give up their careers for the children. I have been tempted to reread some Wyndham books & this has made it more likely. ( )
  infjsarah | Oct 26, 2022 |
A great book, and the basis for two of my favorite movies. Unfortunately, this edition was marred by numerous typos, but they didn’t distract from the story. ( )
  luke66 | Oct 22, 2022 |
(I have 2 different copies of this book as I am unable to resist buying more John Wyndham editions whenever i come across them)

I re-read this in June 2022 after starting to watch the new TV series while I was stuck home with Covid. I realised I couldn't remember much detail of the book as it had been ages since I had read it. This started a mini Wyndham phase. Shortly after there was a Backlisted episode covering it too, so it certainly felt like something was in the air about Cuckoos.

It's a really great book, as ever with John Wyndham he sets up a weird situation and then examines how people react to it. There is interesting gender politics and proto-feminism here, oblique mentions of abortion and a lesbian relationship, both of which were illegal when it was written I think. The cuckoos are creepy and unsettling and the ending is blunt. ( )
  AlisonSakai | Aug 2, 2022 |

van den Haak-Janzen, J.R.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Veillon, AdrienTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Willock, HarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zhouf, MartinCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
One of the luckiest accidents in my wife's life is that she happened to marry a man who was born on the 26th of September.

Cuckoos lay eggs in other birds' nests. The clutch that was fathered on the quiet little village of Midwich, one night in September, proved to possess a monstrous will of its own. It promised to make the human race look as dated as the dinosaur

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 182,982,338 books! | Top bar: Always visible