Anthem

by Ayn Rand

Other authors: Leonard Peikoff

9,628196628 (3.58)195
Equality 7-2521 lives in the Dark Ages of the future, where all decisions are made by committee, all people live in collectives, all traces of individualism have been wiped out. But the spark of individual thought and freedom still burns in Equality 7-2521, a passion which he has been taught to call sinful. In a purely egalitarian world, he dares to stand forth from the herd -- to think and choose for himself, to discover electricity, and to love the woman of his choice. Now he has been marked for death for committing the ultimate sin: in a world where the great "we" reign supreme, he has rediscovered the lost and holy word "I". This provocative book is an anthem sung in praise of man's ego.… (more)
    Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell (MMSequeira)
    MMSequeira: Both 1984 and Anthem we're inspired by Zamyatin's We. Both are worth reading, as cautionary tales.
    Essays on Ayn Rand's Anthem by Robert Mayhew (mcaution)
    mcaution: Gain a deeper understanding and appreciation of Rand's novella through this unique collection of scholarly criticism.
    We: A Novel by Yevgeny Zamyatin (myshelves)
    myshelves: Classic dystopian novel.
    Progress by Charles Stampul (Anonymous user)
    The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (coolsnak3)
    coolsnak3: more dystopia for you. :)
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (TaylorReynolds)
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (kxlly)
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (Unionhawk)

English (194)  German (1)  All languages (195)
As much Ayn Rand as I could take. "I will it" is the world view of a sociopath. ( )
  mjduigou | Feb 27, 2022 |
Anthem by Ayn Rand

Why I picked this book: I never read an Ayn Rand book and was interested to see what I would find.

The collective. what it is about. The Us? the we, No more, I, me, nothing individual, no choice, no freedom after the world council took over. Jobs were given to people, numbers for names, no looking at ourselves, things had to change from the awful unmentionable times have passed. Equality 7-2521 had the desire, the curiosity, the drive, the attraction and ran off with the golden one. He found the “we” and the long lost “I” that belongs to every person.

Why I finished this read: This book made me look around at the USA today, the push for socialism, the ideas of equity vs. equality the Marxism and communism that NEVER crossed my mind growing up during the Cold War waiting for nuclear war heads flying towards us. I finished this book to revel in the choices made and value was we have in America.

When reading this the author’s different language seemed to seep through, idk, maybe the words were too focused on or something but because it was a good messsge I rated it as a 3.5 stars. ( )
  DrT | Feb 10, 2022 |
Highly recommended! It's an easy read, and gives excellent insight into Libertarian thinking. Libertarians are a bit too aggressively anti-religion for my tastes, but I respect them as close cousins in liberty. ( )
  dksmiffs | Jan 28, 2022 |
"Our name is Equality 7-2521..."

yeah, try saying that over and over again....it's not pleasant, and neither was this short---but really long---read. ( )
  ennuiprayer | Jan 14, 2022 |

reneeg | Dec 25, 2021 |

Ayn Randprimary authorall editionscalculated
Peikoff, Leonardsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Peikoff, LeonardIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It is a sin to write this. It is a sin to think words no others think and to put them down upon a paper no others are to see. It is base and evil. It is as if we were speaking alone to no ears but our own. And we know well that there is no transgression blacker than to do or think alone. We have broken the laws. The laws say that men may not write unless the Council of Vocations bid them so. May we be forgiven!
This, my body and spirit, this is the end of the quest.
Rather would we be damned with you than blessed with all our brothers.
The fortunes of my spirit are not to be made into coins of brass and be flung into the wind as alms for the poor of spirit.
I understood that centuries of chains and lashes will not kill the spirit of man nor the sense of truth within him.

Legacy Library: Ayn Rand

Ayn Rand has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Ayn Rand's legacy profile.

See Ayn Rand's author page.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0451191137, 0141189614

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,875,166 books! | Top bar: Always visible