Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? (1968)

by Philip K. Dick

Series: Blade Runner (01)

19,550476242 (3.96)3 / 760
Fiction. Science Fiction. HTML:A masterpiece ahead of its time, a prescient rendering of a dark future, and the inspiration for the blockbuster film Blade Runner

By 2021, the World War has killed millions, driving entire species into extinction and sending mankind off-planet. Those who remain covet any living creature, and for people who cant afford one, companies built incredibly realistic simulacra: horses, birds, cats, sheep. Theyve even built humans. Immigrants to Mars receive androids so sophisticated they are indistinguishable from true men or women. Fearful of the havoc these artificial humans can wreak, the government bans them from Earth. Driven into hiding, unauthorized androids live among human beings, undetected. Rick Deckard, an officially sanctioned bounty hunter, is commissioned to find rogue androids and retire them. But when cornered, androids fight backwith lethal force.

Praise for Philip K. Dick

The most...
… (more)
Recently added bykadlib, curiousneuron, rdoyloo, niklaus, private library, Caragh, Brosalyn, doomedfire
Legacy LibrariesTerence Kemp McKenna
1960s (132)
Books (2)
My TBR (36)
Florida (196)

English (444)  Spanish (8)  Italian (6)  French (5)  Finnish (2)  Swedish (2)  German (2)  Danish (1)  Catalan (1)  Romanian (1)  Portuguese (1)  Polish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (475)

This was one of the most bizarre and intense books I’ve read in recent memory. About halfway through, I thought, “I’m going to have to re-read this as soon as I finish it.” That thought wasn’t anxiety, it was thrill. I’m going to do all I can to resist that urge and give it some space before a re-read. I loved this but couldn’t tell you at all what I thought about it in detail yet, 5 minutes after finishing it. ( )
  ThomasEB | Jul 4, 2024 |
Inspiração para um dos maiores clássicos do cinema, dirigido por Ridley Scott, este romance é de autoria do prolífico e revolucionário Philip K. Dick, um dos maiores expoentes da contracultura na ficção científica durante as décadas de 60 e 70. Rick Deckard é um caçador de recompensas, vivendo em uma San Francisco decadente, coberta pela poeira radioativa que dizimou inúmeras espécies de animais e plantas. Um novo trabalho pode ser o ponto de virada para melhorar seu padrão de vida e realizar seu sonho de consumo: uma ovelha de verdade, para substituir a réplica elétrica que ele cria em casa. Para isso, Deckard precisa perseguir e aposentar seis androides que estão foragidos, se passando por humanos. Mas as convicções do detetive podem mudar quando percebe que a linha que separa o real do fabricado não é mais tão nítida quanto ele acreditava. Em Androides sonham com ovelhas elétricas?, título original deste livro, Philip K. Dick cria uma atmosfera sombria e perturbadora para contar uma história impressionante, e abordar questões filosóficas profundas sobre a natureza da vida, da religião, da tecnologia e da própria condição humana. Esta nova edição conta com capa ilustrada por Rafael Coutinho, com design de Giovanna Cianelli. A cena imaginada por Coutinho homenageia o filme e retoma o ar policial noir do romance, ao mesmo tempo em que explora a atmosfera de dúvida e segredos presente na obra de Dick.
  saladeleituraberna_ | Jul 2, 2024 |
I'll say despite having quite a few flaws (much of the writing, and specifically action, could do with some work. I had to frequently read back to understand what was going on - and it wasn't intentionally unclear, like at later parts), this is certainly deserving of attention. Particularly because of how layered the thematic work is, and how relentless it is. It doesn't shy away from the heady implications of the very nature of life itself, and it certainly manages to ask questions just about anyone will find troubling.

Certainly a very different beast from the movie, and I actually wonder why they didn't include all the animal stuff, which now seems almost vital to this story. The valuing of life as a possession, of something quantifiable, the the greatest goal of a person is to own life, to posses it or to create it. That there is something inherently more real about non-artificial life, though characters are frequently mistaking fakes for the real thing left and right throughout the book. And yet, something is missing in the artificial, like when the fascinated androids start cutting off the legs of a spider, and I feel like most people will recoil at this scene - its a sudden realization that these creatures, though quite probably real, are still frighteningly different.

The book is ambiguous, but in a way that this story requires. It's something that sure will stick with anyone that reads it. ( )
  SaltyPitchfork | Jun 30, 2024 |
This is a P K Dick classic, you could almost compile a check list of dystopian sci-fi must haves and it would tick nearly all of them. But this would be doing it a disservice as it is much more more than that.

The only thing that I regret about reading this book, is that I like the film Bladerunner a little less. The book is deeper, more engaging and more complete and it makes the film feel shallow by comparison, but I guess that's books and films for you... ( )
  Embassy9625 | Jun 24, 2024 |

Has the (non-series) prequel

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a student's study guide

And still I dream he treads the lawn,
walking ghostly in the dew,
pierced by my glad singing through.
~ Yeats
To Tim and Serena Powers, my dearest friends
To Maren Augusta Bergrud
August 10, 1923 - June 14, 1967
A merry little surge of electricity piped by automatic alarm from the mood organ beside his bed awakened Rick Deckard.
My schedule for today lists a six-hour self-accusatory depression.
You will be required to do wrong no matter where you go. It is the basic condition of life, to be required to violate your own identity. At some time, every creature which lives must do so. It is the ultimate shadow, the defeat of creation; this is the curse at work, the curse that feeds on all life. Everywhere in the universe
In 1968, Philip K. Dick wrote Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, a brilliant sf novel that became the source of the motion picture Blade Runner. Though the novel's characters and backgrounds differ in some respects from those of the film, readers who enjoy the latter will discover an added dimension on encountering the original work. Del Rey Books returned this classic novel to print with a movie tie-in edition titled Blade Runner: (Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?).

Praise for Philip K. Dick

The most...

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,339,337 books! | Top bar: Always visible