Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut

Slaughterhouse-Five (1969)

by Kurt Vonnegut

34,86553932 (4.11)1 / 855
    Catch-22 by Joseph Heller (kiwiflowa, Anonymous user)
    Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut (seojen)
    Mother Night by Kurt Vonnegut (weener)
    Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut (esswedl)
    esswedl: Both of these Vonnegut novels involve the question of free will (and both are great).
    The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (weener)
    Johnny Got His Gun by Dalton Trumbo (waitingtoderail)
    Crash Gordon and the Mysteries of Kingsburg by Derek Swannson (jasbro)
    The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami (andomck)
    andomck: Both books, besides having science fiction/magical realism elements, discuss bloody episodes of WWII from the point of view of everyday people.
    God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater by Kurt Vonnegut (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Elliot Rosewater, the main character of God Bless You, Mr Rosewater, appears in Slaughterhouse-Five. Also, they both feature books from fictional author Kilgore Trout.
    Candide by Voltaire (SCPeterson)
    SCPeterson: Vonnegut is the Voltaire of our age of un-enlightenment.
    Spaceman of Bohemia by Jaroslav Kalfar (CGlanovsky)
    Life After Life by Kate Atkinson (JenMDB)
    Payback by Gert Ledig (hvg)
    Armageddon in Retrospect by Kurt Vonnegut (Ronoc)
    Kurt Vonnegut's crusade; or, How a postmodern harlequin preached a new kind of humanism by Todd F. Davis (pyrocow)
    Tertium Organum by P. D. Ouspensky (sombrio)
    1968 by Joe Haldeman (snat)
    The Book of Jonas by Stephen Dau (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: War is not glorious and even survivors are not unscathed.
    Einstein's Dreams by Alan Lightman (ateolf)
    The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (chwiggy)

Satire (3)
1960s (23)
Read (36)
Reiny (3)
Books (22)
Read (6)

English (513)  Italian (6)  French (4)  German (3)  Spanish (3)  Swedish (2)  Dutch (2)  Czech (1)  Hebrew (1)  Hungarian (1)  Catalan (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (539)
What a unique and engaging reading experience. Took me years to finally sit down and read this classic and it did not disappoint. The horrors of war and the effect one war had on one Billy Pilgrim. The lifelong trauma that can befall soldiers is the theme here, flavored with pathos and cynicism. ( )
  dugmel | Apr 24, 2019 |
The star ratings are defined deceptively, or at least in a way that causes difficulty in rating a work like this. Three stars says I "liked" it. I did not. This book seems to go out of its way to be vulgar and to keep the reader from caring about the characters except in a philosophical sense. I would not have finished reading this if it weren't on my list of classics to be conquered. There's also, for me, the brain-block caused by black humor. It's not something I find funny. At all. (I would not know this book was supposed to be funny if I hadn't read reviews calling it so. Acerbic wit? Yes. Actually funny? If you say so.)

So I originally rated it two stars, because my personal reading tastes find it completely unlikable.

However ... the books to which I give two stars usually have a lot of craft problems, or make me crazy with their unrealistic psychology and/or exaggeratedly insufferable characters. That doesn't describe this book. Slaughterhouse-Five is really smart. And devastating as the author intended. And challenging. Will I read it (or Vonnegut) again? Heck no. Did I enjoy it? Absolutely not. Did it broaden my reading experience in a way that was worth my time? Yes, it did. ( )
  AmandaGStevens | Mar 2, 2019 |
Vonnegut is funny and bitter and honest, as he should be when writing about that most ridiculous of topics: war. This was an incredibly fast read, it seems like no sooner had I picked it up for my book club it was finished.

It seems like my all of book-club books, despite the long discussions I have about them with my friends, seem to get short-shafted in the review department. So it goes. ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |
Literally a trip, as in hallucinogenic. Very strange string of words. Sad, depressing, a bit sarcastic. The mastery is it all fits the horror of the subject matter. He certainly made his persuasive points. For me the sarcastic flippancy seemed overkill. So it goes. ( )
  DonaldPowell | Feb 5, 2019 |
I must have started this book a while back, because the first chapter was really familiar. Well. Vonnegut is certainly not a conventional author, and this is not a conventional book about war; not that I've read that many. The detached narrative really shows a unique perspective of war and it's horrors that is not easily forgotten. ( )
  BigSki | Jan 12, 2019 |

The Baby awakes.
But the little Lord Jesus
No crying He makes.
For Mary O'Hare and Gerhard Müller
All this happened, more or less.
Like so many Americans, she was trying to construct a life that made sense from things she found in gift shops.
There was a a soft drink bottle on the windowsill. Its label boasted that it contained no nourishment whatsoever.
I have told my sons that they are not under any circumstances to take part in massacres, and that the news of massacres of enemies is not to fill them with satisfaction or glee.
So it goes.
Listen:

Billy Pilgrim has come unstuck in time.

[R.L. 6.0]
From the World War Two firebombing of Dresden to the distant planet called Tralfamadore, the reader follows Billy Pilgrim in his attempt to understand the natures of time and existence.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385333846, Paperback)

Kurt Vonnegut's absurdist classic Slaughterhouse-Five introduces us to Billy Pilgrim, a man who becomes unstuck in time after he is abducted by aliens from the planet Tralfamadore. In a plot-scrambling display of virtuosity, we follow Pilgrim simultaneously through all phases of his life, concentrating on his (and Vonnegut's) shattering experience as an American prisoner of war who witnesses the firebombing of Dresden.

Don't let the ease of reading fool you--Vonnegut's isn't a conventional, or simple, novel. He writes, "There are almost no characters in this story, and almost no dramatic confrontations, because most of the people in it are so sick, and so much the listless playthings of enormous forces. One of the main effects of war, after all, is that people are discouraged from being characters..." Slaughterhouse-Five (taken from the name of the building where the POWs were held) is not only Vonnegut's most powerful book, it is as important as any written since 1945. Like Catch- 22, it fashions the author's experiences in the Second World War into an eloquent and deeply funny plea against butchery in the service of authority. Slaughterhouse-Five boasts the same imagination, humanity, and gleeful appreciation of the absurd found in Vonnegut's other works, but the book's basis in rock-hard, tragic fact gives it a unique poignancy--and humor.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:01 -0400)

Billy Pilgrim returns home from the Second World War only to be kidnapped by aliens from the planet Tralfamadore, who teach him that time is an eternal present.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,213,711 books! | Top bar: Always visible