The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle (1995)

by Haruki Murakami

15,951343250 (4.19)4 / 986
While searching for his missing wife, Japanese lawyer Toru Okada has strange experiences and meets strange characters. A woman wants phone sex, a man describes wartime torture, he finds himself at the bottom of a well. Part detective story, part philosophical meditation.
    Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell (derelicious)
    1Q84 by Haruki Murakami (PaulBerauer)
    Ghostwritten by David Mitchell (derelicious)
    One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez (eromsted)
    Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins (Alialibobali)
    A Spot of Bother by Mark Haddon (DeDeNoel)
    DeDeNoel: Both this and Wind-Up Bird are about a man dealing with odd circumstances and going through a change. If you like the way Murakami writes, you probably will enjoy Mark Haddon's writing.
    Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut (andomck)
    andomck: Both books, besides having science fiction/magical realism elements, discuss bloody episodes of WWII from the point of view of everyday people.
    The Little Friend by Donna Tartt (ainsleytewce)
    The New York Trilogy by Paul Auster (alzo)
    The Magus by John Fowles (WoodsieGirl)
    The Sea Came in at Midnight by Steve Erickson (alzo)
    Oh!: A mystery of 'mono no aware' by Todd Shimoda (Magus_Manders)
    After the Quake by Haruki Murakami (andomck)
    Phantastes by George MacDonald (charlie68)
    How the Hula Girl Sings by Joe Meno (andomck)
    Vilnius Poker by Ricardas Gavelis (Sarasamsara)
    Harbor by John Ajvide Lindqvist (aethercowboy)
    The Bus Driver Who Wanted To Be God & Other Stories by Etgar Keret (-Eva-)
    The Interpreter by Suki Kim (booklove2)
    booklove2: Both books involve a displaced from the world character searching for clues to solve mysteries.
1990s (4)
Asia (47)
Reiny (14)
hopes (23)

English (307)  Dutch (8)  Spanish (5)  French (5)  Swedish (4)  Danish (4)  German (3)  Italian (2)  Norwegian (2)  Catalan (1)  Hebrew (1)  Arabic (1)  All languages (343)
something happens on every page of this book and Im not really sure if that's a good thing.

Nonetheless I really enjoyed reading it even if in retrospect the book was much too busy, too many ideas crammed together.

Would I read it again? Probably not but I'm glad I did. ( )
  jooniper | Sep 10, 2021 |
I love this book so much. I haven't been brave enough to pick up anything else by Murakami because, by the end, I felt as though I'd been deconstructed then pieced back together again. ( )
  JenelleB | Aug 23, 2021 |
Japanese novel, man's wife disappears, surrealistic scenes in well, very strange
  ritaer | Aug 19, 2021 |
I feel unqualified to write out a review of this book. So I'm not. At least not right now.

---------

You know what? I'm gonna do it. I'm going to give it one star. It's been seven months since I read it...I was willing to give it time to roll it over (and over and over and over) in my brain, heart, soul, and whatnot, but it isn't working. I thought it was kind of boring. I only was relatively interested in the old man's story--the rest of the characters were entirely too narcissistic to give a damn about whatever trials they faced. Maybe the sheer boredom was supposed to make a point, but that would be a lousy point. I like magical realism, but nothing felt unique about this.

Believe me. I was willing to seeing the error of my ways. Almost every single person I know who has read it loves it...people whose opinions of books I respect and with which I generally agree. I read tons of fans' reviews. I can sort of see where some people are coming from, but it just didn't do it for me. At first I thought I was missing something, that I was emotionally stunted, but I think it just simply just doesn't live up to the hype. ( )
1 vote LibroLindsay | Jun 18, 2021 |
Very dreamy story, the main character kept on going down a well to meditate, trying to walk through a wall in his mind. Very typical Murakami. Teenage girl speaks of putting rice pudding in a microwave and retrieving macaroni cheese. I wasn't too fond of the world war two stories, but everything in the book was well written and connected. ( )
  AChild | May 19, 2021 |
By the book's midway point, the novelist-juggler has tossed so many balls into the air that he inevitably misses a few on the way down. Visionary artists aren't always neat: who reads Kafka for his tight construction? In ''The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle'' Murakami has written a bold and generous book, and one that would have lost a great deal by being tidied up.

Mr. Murakami seems to have tried to write a book with the esthetic heft and vision of, say, Don DeLillo's ''Underworld'' or Salman Rushdie's ''The Moor's Last Sigh,'' he is only intermittently successful. ''Wind-Up Bird'' has some powerful scenes of antic comedy and some shattering scenes of historical power, but such moments do not add up to a satisfying, fully fashioned novel. In trying to depict a fragmented, chaotic and ultimately unknowable world, Mr. Murakami has written a fragmentary and chaotic book.

Murakami, Harukiprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bandini, DitteÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bandini, GiovanniÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gall,JohnCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Haughton, RichardCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pastore, AntoniettaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rubin, JayTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
When the phone rang I was in the kitchen, boiling a potful of spaghetti and whistling along with an FM broadcast of the overture to Rossini's The Thieving Magpie, which has to be the perfect music for cooking pasta.
«Ah, così lei ama la letteratura! – mi avrebbero detto, – anch'io. Da giovane ho letto parecchio». Per loro la letteratura era qualcosa che si leggeva da giovani. Come in primavera si colgono le fragole, e in autunno si vendemmia.
«Io ho solo sedici anni, e il mondo non lo conosco ancora bene, ma una cosa sola posso affermare con sicurezza: se io sono pessimista, un adulto che non lo sia, in questo mondo, è proprio un cretino».

Toru Okada lever et yderst stilfærdigt liv med sin kone Kumiko i Japan. Han har sagt sit arbejde op og går egentlig bare hjemme og passer kat. Toru Okadas kone arbejder som redaktør på et forlag og den ene dag følger hurtigt den anden.

Lige indtil alting ændrer sig. I "Trækopfuglens krønike" kan du læse, hvordan alting falder sammen om ørene på Toru Okada, da katten og herefter konen forsvinder sporløst. Og hertil hvordan det hele bliver endnu mere forvirrende, da Toru Okada modtager mystiske opkald af mindst så mystiske mennesker.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,559,125 books! | Top bar: Always visible