The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle (1995)

by Haruki Murakami

16,652351259 (4.18)4 / 1002
While searching for his missing wife, Japanese lawyer Toru Okada has strange experiences and meets strange characters. A woman wants phone sex, a man describes wartime torture, he finds himself at the bottom of a well. Part detective story, part philosophical meditation.
    Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell (derelicious)
    1Q84 by Haruki Murakami (PaulBerauer)
    Ghostwritten by David Mitchell (derelicious)
    One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez (eromsted)
    Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins (Alialibobali)
    A Spot of Bother by Mark Haddon (DeDeNoel)
    DeDeNoel: Both this and Wind-Up Bird are about a man dealing with odd circumstances and going through a change. If you like the way Murakami writes, you probably will enjoy Mark Haddon's writing.
    Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut (andomck)
    andomck: Both books, besides having science fiction/magical realism elements, discuss bloody episodes of WWII from the point of view of everyday people.
    The Little Friend by Donna Tartt (ainsleytewce)
    The New York Trilogy by Paul Auster (alzo)
    The Magus by John Fowles (WoodsieGirl)
    The Sea Came in at Midnight by Steve Erickson (alzo)
    Oh!: A mystery of 'mono no aware' by Todd Shimoda (Magus_Manders)
    After the Quake by Haruki Murakami (andomck)
    Phantastes by George MacDonald (charlie68)
    How the Hula Girl Sings by Joe Meno (andomck)
    Vilnius Poker by Ricardas Gavelis (Sarasamsara)
    Harbor by John Ajvide Lindqvist (aethercowboy)
    The Bus Driver Who Wanted To Be God & Other Stories by Etgar Keret (-Eva-)
    The Interpreter by Suki Kim (booklove2)
    booklove2: Both books involve a displaced from the world character searching for clues to solve mysteries.
1990s (4)
Asia (71)
Reiny (14)
hopes (23)

English (313)  Dutch (9)  Spanish (5)  French (5)  Swedish (4)  Danish (4)  German (3)  Italian (2)  Norwegian (2)  Catalan (1)  Hebrew (1)  Arabic (1)  All languages (350)
Less immediate than Kafka on the Shore, and less innocent too. Murakami writes some of the most horrific passages I have ever read. There's humour too, as the world of Mr. Wind-Up Bird is often too absurd to take seriously. I love the way Murakami pulls from some of the worst parts of Japanese history to parallel key plot points and make the book an extremely significant work of fiction.

It's no easy read. Even with my complete engagement, the lengthy periods of storytelling make this novel much less of a page-turner than Kafka was for me. But, by the end, I felt like the experience was thoroughly rewarding, further pushing the boundaries of my perception of what literature can be.

I'll miss these characters as much as I hope I never have to meet them again; the pain they carry is just too much to bear. As Mr. Wind-Up Bird would say, oh well... ( )
  Danisstillalive | Sep 6, 2022 |
Uniquely amazing! So so so surreal. The storylines are all over the place, yet connected in this nonlinear fashion. It kept me out of my usual left-brain-reading comfort zone, and I felt keenly amazed as I propelled through the last third ( )
  ds_db | Apr 25, 2022 |
When I think about Murakami I think of lonesomeness embraced, the everyday supernatural, wise cats, and simple but satisfying meals. ( )
  invisiblecityzen | Mar 13, 2022 |
  invisiblecityzen | Mar 13, 2022 |
Surreal but realistic all at the same time. Not really sure what it's all about, but well worth reading. ( )
  hierogrammate | Jan 31, 2022 |
By the book's midway point, the novelist-juggler has tossed so many balls into the air that he inevitably misses a few on the way down. Visionary artists aren't always neat: who reads Kafka for his tight construction? In ''The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle'' Murakami has written a bold and generous book, and one that would have lost a great deal by being tidied up.

Mr. Murakami seems to have tried to write a book with the esthetic heft and vision of, say, Don DeLillo's ''Underworld'' or Salman Rushdie's ''The Moor's Last Sigh,'' he is only intermittently successful. ''Wind-Up Bird'' has some powerful scenes of antic comedy and some shattering scenes of historical power, but such moments do not add up to a satisfying, fully fashioned novel. In trying to depict a fragmented, chaotic and ultimately unknowable world, Mr. Murakami has written a fragmentary and chaotic book.

Murakami, Harukiprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bandini, DitteÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bandini, GiovanniÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Haughton, RichardCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pastore, AntoniettaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rubin, JayTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
When the phone rang I was in the kitchen, boiling a potful of spaghetti and whistling along with an FM broadcast of the overture to Rossini's The Thieving Magpie, which has to be the perfect music for cooking pasta.
«Ah, così lei ama la letteratura! – mi avrebbero detto, – anch'io. Da giovane ho letto parecchio». Per loro la letteratura era qualcosa che si leggeva da giovani. Come in primavera si colgono le fragole, e in autunno si vendemmia.
«Io ho solo sedici anni, e il mondo non lo conosco ancora bene, ma una cosa sola posso affermare con sicurezza: se io sono pessimista, un adulto che non lo sia, in questo mondo, è proprio un cretino».

Toru Okada lever et yderst stilfærdigt liv med sin kone Kumiko i Japan. Han har sagt sit arbejde op og går egentlig bare hjemme og passer kat. Toru Okadas kone arbejder som redaktør på et forlag og den ene dag følger hurtigt den anden.

Lige indtil alting ændrer sig. I "Trækopfuglens krønike" kan du læse, hvordan alting falder sammen om ørene på Toru Okada, da katten og herefter konen forsvinder sporløst. Og hertil hvordan det hele bliver endnu mere forvirrende, da Toru Okada modtager mystiske opkald af mindst så mystiske mennesker.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 176,523,921 books! | Top bar: Always visible