dismiss

One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel…

One Hundred Years of Solitude (1967)

by Gabriel García Márquez

36,77054433 (4.19)1 / 845
The rise and fall, birth and death, of the mythical town of Macondo through the history of the Buendia family.
    The House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende (chrisharpe, roby72, krizia_lazaro, browner56)
    browner56: Superb multi-generational sagas of two South American families, told in the magical realism style
    The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov (Mouseear)
    The Deptford Trilogy by Robertson Davies (Gayle_C._Bull)
    The Feast of the Goat by Mario Vargas Llosa (mcenroeucsb)
    Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie (Nickelini)
    Pedro Páramo by Juan Rulfo (hippietrail)
    The Famished Road by Ben Okri (Medellia)
    Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel (Aturuxo)
    Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra (caflores)
    Aunt Julia and the Scriptwriter by Mario Vargas Llosa (SilentInAWay)
    The Devil to Pay in the Backlands by João Guimarães Rosa (roby72)
    The Adventures and Misadventures of Maqroll by Alvaro Mutis (chrisharpe)
    Purgatory by Tomás Eloy Martínez (philosojerk)
    philosojerk: I found Martinez's style in Purgatory very reminiscent of Marquez's in One Hundred Years. If you enjoyed one of them, you would probably enjoy the other.
    The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (derelicious)
    White Teeth by Zadie Smith (renardkitsune)
    Little, Big by John Crowley (britchey)
    britchey: By interweaving magic and the real, both stories tell a multi-generational family epic about birth, death, and destiny.
    Primeval and Other Times by Olga Tokarczuk (MaidMeri)
    Paravion by Hafid Bouazza (EMS_24)
    EMS_24: Generations in a village in the mountains, colourful surrealism
    Dona Flor and Her Two Husbands by Jorge Amado (hubertguillaud)
    Lovesick by Angeles Mastretta (chrisharpe)

1960s (20)
hopes (4)
Read (6)

English (444)  Spanish (59)  Italian (8)  Dutch (8)  French (6)  Catalan (5)  Portuguese (Brazil) (2)  Portuguese (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Hungarian (2)  German (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (540)
What can one say to adequately comment on the genius of Garcia Marquez? What more is needed but this? That when I read the book, I discovered what I had long known in the core of my soul, indeed, the very depth and width and height of what language is capable of achieving. It isn't hard to see the influence of Faulkner: the nonlinear storytelling, the plot that builds like a musical crescendo, the dense, erudite prose. And then there is the social and political commentary, some of which can be found in these charged yet humorous lines: " 'Look at the mess we've got ourselves into,' Colonel Aureliano Buendia said at that time, 'just because we invited a gringo to eat some bananas.' " ( )
  TheaJean | Jun 2, 2020 |
I'd like to think this book defies description, but I lie. It's pretty much an epic 5 generation story of a mythical Columbian town rife with magical realism. There's a lot of walking dead, dead stored in bags, dead bleeding on the streets, and the not quite dead of a peep that lives for over 500 years. Never mind the magic carpets or the thousands of people with the same damn name. It's a family that will damn well reuse a loved name over and over because they loved the originals so damn much.

Huh. Well, as long as I've now given up on tracking them except by their place in time and the events, I rolled with it and listened to the ever-growing complexity of the cyclical tales written simply and passionately, feeling like the town is the MC, from it's founding (birth), it's part in the civil war (troubled teens), and it's modernity (this came out in 1967, so just assume there's lots of passionate free-love sex (in marriage)).

Here's the thing about preconceptions. I never looked up what the novel was about, so I based it entirely on the book cover and the freaking title. So what did I think as I read this?

Where's the freaking solitude!!!!!????

Sigh. This novel is FULL OF PEOPLE, people. I mean, lordy, they're everywhere and in everyone's faces. I kept looking forward to the science-minded and scholarly peeps because they, at least, wanted a little time alone! It was tiring for me to keep up with so many damn people! (except, of course, in a flowing tapestry of sensation and recurring themes, of course. That part was actually damn pleasing.)

Did I study and draw diagrams to keep track of everything in this novel? Hell no. I considered it, but in the end, I didn't care enough to do much other than take it all in with huge gulps, burping every once in a while, but determined to drink every last drop.

It was good, dammit. The writing was smooth as silk and managed to accomplish so much so economically, that I see why it's considered a classic. Will I ever try this one again?

No. Likely not. I don't like admitting that a novel tired me out. :) ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
This is the last book in recent memory I was excited to read. I took it on dates to the park, the cemetery, the front lawn of the Nelson. What a beautiful book. Hi Lauren!

"I only made it through about fifty years of solitude"- Dad. ( )
  uncleflannery | May 16, 2020 |
DNF - quit reading after 60 pages ( )
  Phaer1 | May 15, 2020 |

García Márquez, Gabrielprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Broek, C.A.G. van denTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cicogna, EnricoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for
Jomí García Ascot
and
María Luisa Elío
Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Colonel Aureliano Buendía was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice.
Muchos años después, frente al pelotón de fusilamiento, el coronel Aureliano Buendía había de recordar aquella tarde remota en que su padre lo llevó a conocer el hielo.
(Albanian)
Shumë vjet më vonë, përballë togës së pushkatimit, kolonel Aureliano Buendía-s do t’i kujtohej ajo pasdite e largët kur i ati e çoi të shihte akullin.
(Bulgarian)
Много години по-късно, пред взвода за разстрел, полковник Аурелиано Буендия щеше да си спомни онзи далечен подиробед, когато баща му го заведе да види леда.
(Chinese, Taiwan, Traditional script)
許多年後,當邦廸亞上校面對行刑槍隊時,他便會想起他父親帶他去找冰塊的那個遙遠的下午。
"[Y]ou'd be good in a war," she said. "Where you put your eye, you put your bullet."

Da José Arcadio ad Aureliano, dalla scoperta del ghiaccio alla decifrazione delle pergamene di Melquíades: sette generazioni di Buendía inseguono un destino ineluttabile. Con questo romanzo tumultuoso che usa i toni della favola, sorretto da un linguaggio portentoso e da una prodigiosa fantasia, Gabriel García Márquez ha saputo rifondare la realtà e, attraverso Macondo, creare un vero e proprio paradigma dell'esistenza umana. Un universo di solitudini incrociate, impenetrabili ed eterne, in cui galleggia una moltitudine di eroi. Edizione del cinquantenario (1967-2017).
(piopas)
Melquiades warns,
a message recieved late,
beware of the ants.
(leahdawn)

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014118499X, 014103243X, 0141045639

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,686,748 books! | Top bar: Always visible