One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel…

One Hundred Years of Solitude (1967)

by Gabriel García Márquez

33,04748721 (4.2)1 / 770
    The House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende (chrisharpe, roby72, krizia_lazaro, browner56)
    browner56: Superb multi-generational sagas of two South American families, told in the magic realism style
    The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov (Mouseear)
    The Deptford Trilogy by Robertson Davies (Gayle_C._Bull)
    The Feast of the Goat by Mario Vargas Llosa (mcenroeucsb)
    Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie (Nickelini)
    The Famished Road by Ben Okri (Medellia)
    Pedro Páramo by Juan Rulfo (hippietrail)
    Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel (Aturuxo)
    Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra (caflores)
    The Devil to Pay in the Backlands by Joao Guimaraes Rosa (roby72)
    Purgatory by Tomás Eloy Martínez (philosojerk)
    philosojerk: I found Martinez's style in Purgatory very reminiscent of Marquez's in One Hundred Years. If you enjoyed one of them, you would probably enjoy the other.
    Aunt Julia and the Scriptwriter by Mario Vargas Llosa (SilentInAWay)
    The Adventures and Misadventures of Maqroll by Alvaro Mutis (chrisharpe)
    The War of Don Emmanuel's Nether Parts by Louis De Bernières (ShaneTierney)
    White Teeth by Zadie Smith (renardkitsune)
    La saga/fuga de J. B. by Gonzalo Torrente Ballester (Aturuxo)
    Little, Big by John Crowley (britchey)
    britchey: By interweaving magic and the real, both stories tell a multi-generational family epic about birth, death, and destiny.
    Primeval and Other Times by Olga Tokarczuk (MaidMeri)
    Dona Flor and Her Two Husbands by Jorge Amado (hubertguillaud)
    The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (derelicious)

1960s (17)
Read (6)

English (396)  Spanish (57)  Italian (8)  Dutch (7)  French (5)  All (3)  Catalan (3)  Portuguese (2)  All (2)  German (1)  Hungarian (1)  Hebrew (1)  All (486)
The story of the town of Macondo told through several generations of the Buendia family. I loved it. It was magical, funny and tragic. The beauty of Marquez’s writing is in the poetic and surreal way he presents the world. Marquez quickly wraps you up and takes you on an imaginative and delightful journey.

The history of Macondo is a metaphor to the history of Columbia. I'm not well versed with Latin American history but the events in this book like the struggle with modernisation, the civil wars and the exploitation by foreign imperialists are something that any third world person can relate to.

The themes of solitude and the cyclical nature of history is dealt with throughout the book through the generations of Buendia’s all bearing the same names and the same personalities and so doomed to repeat the same mistakes.

And almost in the end this line blew me away..

“…..that the past was a lie, that memory has no return, that every spring gone by could never be recovered, and that the wildest and most tenacious love was an ephemeral truth in the end.”

On the whole for me, i can only describe this book as beautiful. ( )
1 vote kasyapa | Oct 9, 2017 |
Libro #11 en la lista de los 100 libros de Pasión por la lectura.
  celia.castro | Oct 4, 2017 |
I knew going in that I'm not a fan of magical realism as a technique, but I felt before I said that definitively I should try possibly the most respected example of the form. I recognize the achievement for what it is, mythological in both style and scope. But I can't say I enjoyed it. ( )
1 vote TheBentley | Oct 3, 2017 |
I've been seven days living in Macondo. I've felt the solitude, I've seen generations come and go and I've cried during whole chapters. I don't think I have words to express how I feel after reading One Hundred Years of Solitude.
Marvelous masterpiece. ( )
  lucidreams | Sep 24, 2017 |
The first time I read this book, I was living abroad in London in 2004. I devoured the book in a few days. Perhaps it was three; it couldn't have been more than seven.

In 2017, I listened to the audiobook and I found the experience the same. I couldn't wait to start back up again. There were so many scenes I'd forgotten or barely remembered. I was struck most by the idea that if the theory of Chekov's gun says that a gun above the mantle in the first act must be fired in the third, then in One Hundred Years, Garcia shows us the floor littered with spent shells and says "now watch" as he re-arms the armada. ( )
  jscape2000 | Sep 20, 2017 |
A trickle of blood came out under the door, crossed the living room, went out into the street, continued on in a straight line across the uneven terraces, went down steps and climbed over curbs, passed along the Street of the Turks, turned a corner to the right and another to the left, made a right angle at the Buendía house, went in under the closed door, crossed through the parlor, hugging the walls so as not to stain the rugs, went on to the other living room, made a wide curve to avoid the dining-room table, went along the porch with the begonias, and passed without being seen under Amaranta's chair as she gave an arithmetic lesson to Aureliano José, and went through the pantry and came out in the kitchen, where Úrsula was getting ready to crack thirty-six eggs to make bread.
"Holy Mother of God!" Úrsula shouted.

This is good Book for me... , The plot made me curious, Best ..

[García Márquez] creates a continuum, a web of connections and relationships. However bizarre or grotesque some particulars may be, the larger effect is one of great gusto and good humor and, even more, of sanity and compassion. The author seems to be letting his people half-dream and half-remember their own story and what is best, he is wise enough not to offer excuses for the way they do it. No excuse is really necessary. For Macondo is no never-never land. Its inhabitants do suffer, grow old and die, but in their own way.

buenisimo muy buena obra
added by tatianaerazo | editcolombia, tatianaerazo

García Márquez, Gabrielprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Broek, C.A.G. van denTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cicogna, EnricoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Packer, NeilIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rabassa, GregoryTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rossi, MattiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for
Jomí García Ascot
and
María Luisa Elío
Muchos años después, frente al pelotón de fusilamiento, el coronel Aureliano Buendía había de recordar aquella tarde remota en que su padre lo llevó a conocer el hielo.
(Bulgarian)
Много години по-късно, пред взвода за разстрел, полковник Аурелиано Буендия щеше да си спомни онзи далечен подиробед, когато баща му го заведе да види леда.
(Chinese, Taiwan, Traditional script)
許多年後,當邦廸亞上校面對行刑槍隊時,他便會想起他父親帶他去找冰塊的那個遙遠的下午。
(Croatian)
Mnogo će se godina kasnije, pred streljačkim vodom, pukovnik Aureliano Buendía sjetiti tog davnog poslijepodneva kada ga je otac poveo da upozna led.
"[Y]ou'd be good in a war," she said. "Where you put your eye, you put your bullet."
Melquiades warns,
a message recieved late,
beware of the ants. (leahdawn)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060883286, Paperback)

"Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Colonel Aureliano Buendía was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice."

It is typical of Gabriel García Márquez that it will be many pages before his narrative circles back to the ice, and many chapters before the hero of One Hundred Years of Solitude, Buendía, stands before the firing squad. In between, he recounts such wonders as an entire town struck with insomnia, a woman who ascends to heaven while hanging laundry, and a suicide that defies the laws of physics:

"Holy Mother of God!" Úrsula shouted.

The story follows 100 years in the life of Macondo, a village founded by José Arcadio Buendía and occupied by descendants all sporting variations on their progenitor's name: his sons, José Arcadio and Aureliano, and grandsons, Aureliano José, Aureliano Segundo, and José Arcadio Segundo. Then there are the women--the two Úrsulas, a handful of Remedios, Fernanda, and Pilar--who struggle to remain grounded even as their menfolk build castles in the air. If it is possible for a novel to be highly comic and deeply tragic at the same time, then One Hundred Years of Solitude does the trick. Civil war rages throughout, hearts break, dreams shatter, and lives are lost, yet the effect is literary pentimento, with sorrow's outlines bleeding through the vibrant colors of García Márquez's magical realism. Consider, for example, the ghost of Prudencio Aguilar, whom José Arcadio Buendía has killed in a fight. So lonely is the man's shade that it haunts Buendía's house, searching anxiously for water with which to clean its wound. Buendía's wife, Úrsula, is so moved that "the next time she saw the dead man uncovering the pots on the stove she understood what he was looking for, and from then on she placed water jugs all about the house."

With One Hundred Years of Solitude Gabriel García Márquez introduced Latin American literature to a world-wide readership. Translated into more than two dozen languages, his brilliant novel of love and loss in Macondo stands at the apex of 20th-century literature. --Alix Wilber

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:14 -0400)

Tells the story of the Buendia family, set against the background of the evolution and eventual decadence of a small South American town.

4 2044

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014118499X, 014103243X, 0141045639

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,495,379 books! | Top bar: Always visible