As I Lay Dying (1930)

by William Faulkner

13,752204353 (3.89)1 / 599
One of William Faulkner's finest novels, "As I lay dying" was originally published in 1930, and remains a captivating and stylistically innovative work. The story revolves around a grim yet darkly humorous pilgrimage, as Addie Bundren's family sets out to fulfill her last wish: to be buried in her native Jefferson, Mississippi, far from the miserable backwater surroundings of her married life. Told through multiple voices, it vividly brings to life Faulkner's imaginary South, one of the great invented landscapes in all of literature, and is replete with the poignant, impoverished, violent, and hypnotically fascinating characters that were his trademark.… (more)
    Wise Blood by Flannery O'Connor (jordantaylor)
    The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway (2below)
    2below: Both involve complicated characters (some might say messed up), crazy mishaps, and fascinating unstable and unreliable narratives. Also excellent examples of Modernist fiction.
    Getting Mother's Body by Suzan-Lori Parks (aethercowboy)
    aethercowboy: Getting Mother's Body is a reimagining of As I Lay Dying through a different culture's point of view.
    The Death of Ivan Ilyich by Leo Tolstoy (SanctiSpiritus)
    A Death in the Family by James Agee (goodwinter)
    Salvage the Bones by Jesmyn Ward (LottaBerling)
    Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders (CGlanovsky)
    Pélagie: The Return to Acadie by Antonine Maillet (Serviette, Serviette)
1930s (92)
Reiny (6)

English (189)  Spanish (5)  French (2)  Catalan (2)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (1)  All languages (201)
Klassieker. Een familie van vader, 4 zoons en 1 dochter maakt een tocht met de grafkist van moeder om haar 40 mijl verderop te begraven. Allerlei rampen voltrekken zich: brand, overstroming, een gebroken been, gevangenschap. Het verhaal wordt beurtelings verteld door leden van de familie en buren en toevallige passanten. Vreemd, verontrustend en geweldig geschreven. ( )
  elsmvst | Nov 7, 2022 |
At the opening of this novel, Addie Bundren is dying. She soon dies and the rest of the novel describes her family’s journey to take her corpse to the town of Jefferson for burial, in accordance with her wishes. They encounter one obstacle after another, including the death of animals, loss of money, washed-out bridges, floods, and fire. Faulkner employs fifteen different narrators that reflect their inner dialogues, values, and feelings. The reader gets to know their mental states in the aftermath of Addie’s death. It is a book about relationships between parents and children. It reflects social mores of the time period in rural Mississippi, such as hard work, frugality, hospitality, and self-sacrifice. It is a tragedy but there is a tiny bit of hope amid the bleakness. Definitely not a cheery read, but I’m glad I finally got around to reading this classic. ( )
  Castlelass | Oct 30, 2022 |
My first Faulkner, I was completely lost and confused as to what was going on. I also noticed that I didn't feel good when I would read this, like I felt bad for the characters. I kept reading it and began to read it as if each chapter was 'that person' talking/thinking. Then, it became a part of my thoughts daily and I kept wondering how the story would end. The ending was shocking, for me and I must say, and this book is one I shall never forget nor the characters. ( )
  MorrisonLibrary21512 | Sep 27, 2022 |
Faulkner is an author I discovered in high school and come back to periodically. I think his writing is pretty close to brilliant. I also find it difficult to really understand one of his novels with only one reading. [As I Lay Dying] is no exception.

In this novel Addie Bundren, mother and wife, dies, and at her request the family is tasked to bring her body to her home town of Jefferson, Mississippi for burial. For this poor, large, rural family, this is a large undertaking. It's a slim novel, but so much happens - destroyed bridges and dangerous river crossings, a broken leg idiotically set with cement, a hard-earned horse sold by a shiftless father, an arson and arrest, and a quest for an abortion. Seriously, all of that. But I didn't even realize how much I was learning about the family until the short book ended and I reflected back.

The story is told by 15 different narrators and each has a distinctive voice and point of view to add. It did make it hard to get in the flow of the book, but it also works very well. ( )
  japaul22 | Sep 10, 2022 |
What a theme of mortality
  eraj-riaz18 | Sep 4, 2022 |

Is contained in

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

To Hal Smith
Jewel and I come up from the field, following the path in single file.
"She's a-going," he says. "Her mind is set on it."
Sometimes I aint so sho who's got ere a right to say when a man is crazy and when he aint. Sometimes I think it aint none of us pure crazy and aint none of us pure sane until the balance of us talks him that-a-way. It's like it aint so much what a fellow does, but it's the way the majority of folks is looking at him when he does it.
My mother is a fish.

Legacy Library: William Faulkner

William Faulkner has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See William Faulkner's legacy profile.

See William Faulkner's author page.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,338,349 books! | Top bar: Always visible