dismiss

The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway

The Sun Also Rises (1926)

by Ernest Hemingway

19,131277138 (3.78)1 / 550
A story of expatriate Americans and British living in Paris after the First World War.
    The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (sturlington)
    sturlington: Great novels of the Jazz Age.
    As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner (2below)
    2below: Both involve complicated characters (some might say messed up), crazy mishaps, and fascinating unstable and unreliable narratives. Also excellent examples of Modernist fiction.
    The Professor's House by Willa Cather (2below)
    2below: These are both poignant stories about the disruption and disorder that results from not being where we want to be in life and living in denial of that sad truth.
    Dangerous Friends by Peter Viertel (SnootyBaronet)
    SnootyBaronet: Hemingway's friend Viertel describes the making of the disastrous film of Sun Also Rises.
    The Dangerous Summer by Ernest Hemingway (GYKM)
    The Garden of Eden by Ernest Hemingway (John_Vaughan)
    A Moveable Feast by Ernest Hemingway (John_Vaughan)
    Death in the Afternoon by Ernest Hemingway (GYKM)
1920s (29)
Read (37)
Europe (229)
Books (40)

English (265)  Swedish (3)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (2)  Italian (1)  Norwegian (1)  German (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (276)
Well, I've finally read my first Hemingway. It probably won't be my last, despite my three-star rating. I wanted to like this enough to give it five stars--it is clever in places, and I'm generally ok with the "iceberg theory" and concision in writing.

I just had a difficult time connecting to any of the characters enough to care. Paired with the fact that bullfighting interests me not a whit, there wasn't a lot here to keep me interested. People drinking, talking about drinking, having sex, not having sex, fighting, not fighting...it also bothered me that the only female character was "liberated" (by 1920s standards) yet seemed to have very little else to do other than find a man de jour (or semaine). That this novel is semi-autobiographical does not help matters.

There are moments of very wry humor that I enjoyed, although parsing it from the anti-semitism was difficult. I did some background reading on the debate over the anti-semitic characterization of Robert Cohn. Jeremy Kaye, in the Spring 2006 issue of the The Hemingway Review suggests a re-imagining and re-reading of Cohn's character. That it dialogues with Hemingway's ideas of masculinity is certain. I'm just not sure I care for Hemingway's ideas of masculinity, or femininity, while we are at it. Sure, I get that gender fluidity was not a mainstay for most authors in the 1920s, but Hemingway's characterizations seem to reinforce the binary with such starkness that I found it difficult to engage.

I'm sure there will be those that read this and disagree heartily with my review. As I said, I haven't given up on Hemingway, and I'll probably turn to Old Man and the Sea next. ( )
  rebcamuse | May 20, 2020 |
Rating 6/10

A book that I finished today. Not one I liked very much. The book almost smelled like a bar on Saturday, that much alcohol was consumed by the characters. And the I dislike the fiesta in Pamplona, the description of which took another chunk of the book.
The part that was left seems to be mostly about Brett and her actions and I don't that it'll be staying with me for a longer time after reading. ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Apr 29, 2020 |
For much of the novel I didn't give damn about Jake, Brett, or really any character that have been described to me as unforgettable. The largesse of their lifestyles is off-putting, sneer inducing, until the very end where the cracks and fissures begin to emerge in the constant reverie that's working to obliterate all sorts of pain. It's a pain I felt and appreciated Hemingway's style, to bury, show, reveal, in implication, which didn't totally kill my intial impression of the novel but lent it a weightier substance that I cannot easily dismiss.
  b.masonjudy | Apr 3, 2020 |
Hemingways first published novel was well written with a descriptive sense of place and occassional insights, esp. to bullfighting w a good description of the running of the bulls. I had no sense of lostness of a lost generation, just some drunkards and self-pitying fools who don't appeared to have grown up. The dialogue was week. The second time I've read it. ( )
  JBreedlove | Mar 31, 2020 |
It seems to me readers either love Hemingway or hate him. I tend to be in the love camp and now, after reading The Sun Also Rises, never more so.
A group of expatriates, residing in Paris, take a summer vacation in Pamplona to watch Running of the Bulls and enjoy it's 7 days of fiesta. Central to the story are Jake Barnes and Lady Brett Ashley. They love each other but because of medical reasons their future together, is just not feasible. So what's there to do but drink and party with your friends. In fact, many of the party members seem confused, unfulfilled and depressed. The result is a bunch of 30 year old adults on spring break, looking
for relief in booze and sex.
The thing is, this book was written in 1926 and women were thought of very differently so perhaps that's why Hemingway is not a favorite but I appreciate this book for the snapshot in time it provides. He writes of a post WWI world and a generation still coming to terms with the affects of the war. To leverage that he puts Jake and his friend, Bill, on a train and Hemingway's description of the French and Spanish countryside reads like a travelogue. Their sojourn in a small fishing town sounds idyllic and acts as a sharp contrast to the description he provides of the brutal bullfights, they will shortly witness.
I enjoyed being a part of this crowd for a short spell but also glad to leave them in their sullen lives. ( )
1 vote Carmenere | Mar 29, 2020 |
No amount of analysis can convey the quality of "The Sun Also Rises." It is a truly gripping story, told in a lean, hard, athletic narrative prose that puts more literary English to shame. Mr. Hemingway knows how not only to make words be specific but how to arrange a collection of words which shall betray a great deal more than is to be found in the individual parts. It is magnificent writing, filled with that organic action which gives a compelling picture of character. This novel is unquestionably one of the events of an unusually rich year in literature.

Ernest Hemingwayprimary authorall editionscalculated
Scholz, WilhemCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tóibín, ColmIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Romanzi: Volume I by Ernest Hemingway

Five Novels: The Sun Also Rises / A Farewell to Arms / To Have and Have Not / The Old Man and the Sea / For Whom the Bell Tolls by Ernest Hemingway

The Essential Hemingway by Ernest Hemingway

The Sun Also Rises / A Farewell to Arms / The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway

For Whom the Bell Tolls / The Snows of Kilimanjaro / Fiesta / The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber / Across the River and into the Trees / The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway

The Sun Also Rises / A Farewell to Arms / For Whom the Bell Tolls by Ernest Hemingway

Contains

Has the adaptation

Inspired

Has as a student's study guide

"You are all a lost generation." -- Gertrude Stein in conversation
"One generation passeth away, and another generation cometh; but the earth abideth forever... The sun also ariseth, and the sun goeth down, and hasteth to the place where he arose...The wind goeth toward the south, and turneth about unto the north; it whirleth about continually, and the wind returneth again according to his circuits...All the rivers run into the sea; yet the sea is not full; unto the place from whence the rivers come, thither they return again." -- Ecclesiastes
This book is for Hadley and for John Hadley Nicanor
Robert Cohn was once middleweight boxing champion of Princeton.
They only want to kill when they're alone.
Published under two titles:
The Sun Also Rises
Fiesta

At the beginning of The Sun Also Rises, Hemingway's first novel, he quotes Gertrude Stein as saying “You are all a lost generation.” He and his peers were soon known as “The Lost Generation,” a nickname still used for these post World War I artists and writers and their modern style.

With the book's publication in 1926, the American expatriate community in Paris tried to identify the originals of the characters. Jake Barnes seemed to bear a close resemblance in some ways to Robert McAlmon and in others to William Bird; Lady Brett Ashley was considered a portrait of Lady Duff Twysden; Robert Cohn a version of Harold Loeb; Mike Campbell a version of Patrick Guthrie; and Bill Gorton patterned after Hemingway's pal Donald Ogden Stewart.

Lady Duff Twysden, an Englishwoman born Mary Smurthwaite, was an aristocrat by marriage to her second husband. Known as a hard drinker, Twysden was popular with the mainly male ex-pat crowd. She embodied the new liberated woman of the 1920s and photos of her at the time show a tall, thin boyish-looking woman with short hair. She was also fond of referring to herself as a “chap."

Lady Brett dominates the novel, even when she's not present.  Jake drinks a lot but Brett drinks more. Brett goes from relationship to relationship. And Brett makes a connection between the major male characters in the novel — Barnes, Cohn, and Romero.

Many people were angered by some of the portrayals. However, the novel won rave reviews. The New York Times said its “hard athletic narrative prose puts more literary English to shame."

Legacy Library: Ernest Hemingway

Ernest Hemingway has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Ernest Hemingway's legacy profile.

See Ernest Hemingway's author page.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,349,483 books! | Top bar: Always visible