The Sun Also Rises (1926)

by Ernest Hemingway

19,926285144 (3.77)1 / 555
A story of expatriate Americans and British living in Paris after the First World War.
    The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (sturlington)
    sturlington: Great novels of the Jazz Age.
    As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner (2below)
    2below: Both involve complicated characters (some might say messed up), crazy mishaps, and fascinating unstable and unreliable narratives. Also excellent examples of Modernist fiction.
    The Dangerous Summer by Ernest Hemingway (GYKM)
    The Garden of Eden by Ernest Hemingway (John_Vaughan)
    The Professor's House by Willa Cather (2below)
    2below: These are both poignant stories about the disruption and disorder that results from not being where we want to be in life and living in denial of that sad truth.
    Death in the Afternoon by Ernest Hemingway (GYKM)
    Dangerous Friends by Peter Viertel (SnootyBaronet)
    SnootyBaronet: Hemingway's friend Viertel describes the making of the disastrous film of Sun Also Rises.
    A Moveable Feast by Ernest Hemingway (John_Vaughan)
Read (37)
Europe (229)
Books (40)

English (272)  Swedish (3)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (2)  Norwegian (1)  Italian (1)  German (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (284)
Hemingway is the most toxically masculine person to ever live. ( )
  Rachel_Cucinella | Apr 24, 2021 |
I love this book. It's one of my all-time favorites and I've read it every few years since I was in junior high school.

The narrator, Jake Barnes, is an American reporter living in Paris in the 1920's. The book has a very loose plot that centers around his friends' lives as expatriates and their travel to Pamplona, Spain to watch the bullfighting matches during the Fiesta. Woven throughout the story is Jake's romantic interest in Lady Brett Ashley. He sits by and watches as she becomes involved with most of his friends but he knows they can never have a relationship. This is because Jake suffered a certain injury during the war and Brett is never satisfied and quickly discards men anyway. The book sums up the entire relationship in the last few lines when Brett states "We could have had such a damned good time together." and Jakes replies "Isn't it pretty to think so?"

What I enjoy most about this book is the extreme detail that Hemingway provides in his description of settings and scenery. You have a sense of reading someone's travel journal. This is in direct contrast to his approach with dialogue, however. Here, he is very precise and minimalistic. Character interactions become almost stilted and robotic. However, the characters are "tight" most of the time and the writing mimics a stuporous dialect.

This leads me to the one element that always takes me by surprise; the vast quantity of alcohol consumed by the characters. As they travel between cafes, restaurants and bars in the course of an evening, it's not uncommon for each to have drunk 3 or more bottles of wine and numerous cocktails; mainly whiskey and absinthe.

If you've ever dreamed of dropping everything and leisurely traveling the world or are interested in fishing, boxing or bullfighting, then you'll enjoy this book. ( )
  pmtracy | Mar 15, 2021 |
Date approximate ( )
  fmc712 | Feb 18, 2021 |
I enjoyed this quite a bit more than the other Hemingway novel I read - everything feels more sharply drawn and whole. Weirdly, I actually wish there was more of it - the beginning and ending both feel kind of incomplete to me. ( )
  skolastic | Feb 2, 2021 |
I truly enjoyed this book a lot. And I really start to like Hemingways writing style and prose. Wonderful, great, amazing.

I would say I enjoyed it even more than "A moveable feast".

Recommended! ( )
  gullevek | Dec 15, 2020 |
No amount of analysis can convey the quality of "The Sun Also Rises." It is a truly gripping story, told in a lean, hard, athletic narrative prose that puts more literary English to shame. Mr. Hemingway knows how not only to make words be specific but how to arrange a collection of words which shall betray a great deal more than is to be found in the individual parts. It is magnificent writing, filled with that organic action which gives a compelling picture of character. This novel is unquestionably one of the events of an unusually rich year in literature.

Ernest Hemingwayprimary authorall editionscalculated

Is contained in

Contains

Has the adaptation

Inspired

Has as a student's study guide

"You are all a lost generation." -- Gertrude Stein in conversation
"One generation passeth away, and another generation cometh; but the earth abideth forever... The sun also ariseth, and the sun goeth down, and hasteth to the place where he arose...The wind goeth toward the south, and turneth about unto the north; it whirleth about continually, and the wind returneth again according to his circuits...All the rivers run into the sea; yet the sea is not full; unto the place from whence the rivers come, thither they return again." -- Ecclesiastes
This book is for Hadley and for John Hadley Nicanor
Robert Cohn was once middleweight boxing champion of Princeton.
They only want to kill when they're alone.
Published under two titles:
The Sun Also Rises
Fiesta

At the beginning of The Sun Also Rises, Hemingway's first novel, he quotes Gertrude Stein as saying “You are all a lost generation.” He and his peers were soon known as “The Lost Generation,” a nickname still used for these post World War I artists and writers and their modern style.

With the book's publication in 1926, the American expatriate community in Paris tried to identify the originals of the characters. Jake Barnes seemed to bear a close resemblance in some ways to Robert McAlmon and in others to William Bird; Lady Brett Ashley was considered a portrait of Lady Duff Twysden; Robert Cohn a version of Harold Loeb; Mike Campbell a version of Patrick Guthrie; and Bill Gorton patterned after Hemingway's pal Donald Ogden Stewart.

Lady Duff Twysden, an Englishwoman born Mary Smurthwaite, was an aristocrat by marriage to her second husband. Known as a hard drinker, Twysden was popular with the mainly male ex-pat crowd. She embodied the new liberated woman of the 1920s and photos of her at the time show a tall, thin boyish-looking woman with short hair. She was also fond of referring to herself as a “chap."

Lady Brett dominates the novel, even when she's not present.  Jake drinks a lot but Brett drinks more. Brett goes from relationship to relationship. And Brett makes a connection between the major male characters in the novel — Barnes, Cohn, and Romero.

Many people were angered by some of the portrayals. However, the novel won rave reviews. The New York Times said its “hard athletic narrative prose puts more literary English to shame."

Legacy Library: Ernest Hemingway

Ernest Hemingway has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Ernest Hemingway's legacy profile.

See Ernest Hemingway's author page.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,850,356 books! | Top bar: Always visible