A Moveable Feast (1964)

by Ernest Hemingway

8,422171837 (3.96)1 / 467
Published posthumously in 1964, A Moveable Feast remains one of Ernest Hemingway's most beloved works. It is his classic memoir of Paris in the 1920s, filled with irreverent portraits of other expatriate luminaries such as F. Scott Fitzgerald and Gertrude Stein; tender memories of his first wife, Hadley; and insightful recollections of his own early experiments with his craft. It is a literary feast, brilliantly evoking the exuberant mood of Paris after World War I and the youthful spirit, unbridled creativity, and unquenchable enthusiasm that Hemingway himself epitomized.… (more)

English (157)  Spanish (4)  Swedish (2)  Danish (2)  Hebrew (1)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  French (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Catalan (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (172)
delicious

(and I don't think 5 stars of all Hemingway) ( )
  graceandbenji | Sep 1, 2022 |
A series of true to life vignettes surrounding Hemingway's early Paris life. Collection includes interludes with Fitzgerald, Pound, Ford, Stein and mentions other great arts figures. Not for the easily offended or without historical context. A rich tableau of what a creative existence was in the early 1900's without heavy existential conundrums.

Recommended for adults (21+) and/or college level readers who have historical context of society and human-interaction/activity in the 1900's.

**All thoughts and opinions are my own.** ( )
  The_Literary_Jedi | Jun 28, 2022 |
2000, April ( )
  carladp | Feb 20, 2022 |
Great look at Hemingway and Fitzgerald in Paris in the 1920's. Inspired me to dig out some of those classic novels. ( )
  kevn57 | Dec 8, 2021 |
Finally got around to reading this one. I had been wanting to after finishing "The Paris Wife" a couple of years ago, which I liked very much, and which anyone wanting to know Hadley's (possibly lightly fictionalized) version of these events should seek out. Having read the first book, I was - let's say -pretty disgusted by the way Hemingway deals with the end of their marriage in "A Moveable Feast". I guess he had to be circumspect and indirect to avoid looking like a complete cad and jerk. A very poignant moment in "The Paris Wife" depicts Hadley reading a draft of "The Sun Also Rises" and realizing as she makes her way through it "I am nowhere in here". It's when she knows he is done with her. Oh, and he also doesn't hesitate to eviscerate F. Scott Fitzgerald many years after his death. At least he does allow Scott to say "You don't know anything about Zelda" when Hemingway dismisses her as simply "crazy". That bit about the Ritz Hotel bartender not having the faintest recollection of Fitzgerald had the whiff of jealousy to me, because finally after all those years of being forgotten and his fiction neglected Scott's reputation as an emblematic American writer had risen to the place it remains today, at the pinnacle. When I was in college in 1975 and took my university's course in The American Novel, we read Gatsby, of course, as well as The Sun Also Rises, and a bunch of other books by white men and one black man (Native Son). Cut to 2010 and my daughter is taking the same course at the same university. Gone from the syllabus are Hemingway, Dreiser, Henry James, Melville, etc. in favor of Marilynne Robinson and Zora Neale Hurston. Which authors remained 35 years later? Hawthorne, Twain, and Fitzgerald. ( )
  Octavia78 | Nov 28, 2021 |
Important note!: this review is of the edition that Hemingway's grandson revised because he didn't like the original's contents. Hotchner argues for ignoring this edition in favor of the original.

"The grandson has removed several sections of the book’s final chapter and replaced them with other writing of Hemingway’s that the grandson feels paints his grandma in a more sympathetic light. Ten other chapters that roused the grandson’s displeasure have been relegated to an appendix."

"All publishers, Scribner included, are guardians of the books that authors entrust to them. Someone who inherits an author’s copyright is not entitled to amend his work. There is always the possibility that the inheritor could write his own book offering his own corrections. Ernest was very protective of the words he wrote, words that gave the literary world a new style of writing. Surely he has the right to have these words protected against frivolous incursion, like this reworked volume that should be called “A Moveable Book.” I hope the Authors Guild is paying attention."

He is gentle, wistful, and almost nostalgic. One writer friend once described Hemingway to me as "that bully" and in many ways my friend was right. Hemingway had created his own public personae that included a brusque way of conducting himself; of a kind of machismo that would be called out for what it was these days; and an insensitivity to other people that bordered on the cruel. A lot of that 'Grace under pressure" is crap, and in his better moments, Heminway probably knew that. But the stories in A Moveable Feast belie all that. He remembers those days in Paris with a fondness and kindness that is remarkable, considering his usual public displays.

For that voice of a shattered Hemingway alone, the new edition of A Moveable Feast is worth taking note of. Otherwise, what I'm calling the "classic" edition is the more coherent narrative.

"Though this may seem at first blush a fragmentary book, it is not so. It should be read as a novel, belongs among the author's better works and is, as 'mere writing,' vintage Hemingway."
added by GYKM | editNew York Times, Lewis Galantiere (May 10, 1964)

Ernest Hemingwayprimary authorall editionscalculated
Schuck, MaryCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Storm, ArieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vandenbergh, JohnTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wildschut, MarjolijnAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
If you are lucky enough to have lived in Paris as a young man, then wherever you go for the rest of your life, it stays with you, for Paris is a moveable feast. --Ernest Hemingway to a friend, 1950
Then there was the bad weather.
When I saw my wife again standing by the tracks...I wished I had died before I ever loved anyone but her.
But this is how Paris was in the early days when we were very poor and very happy.
Work could cure almost anything, I believed then, and I believe now. Then all I had to be cured of, I decided Miss Stein felt, was youth and loving my wife.

Legacy Library: Ernest Hemingway

Ernest Hemingway has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Ernest Hemingway's legacy profile.

See Ernest Hemingway's author page.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,152,564 books! | Top bar: Always visible