A Moveable Feast by Ernest Hemingway

A Moveable Feast

by Ernest Hemingway

6,924142796 (3.98)1 / 410

English (133)  Spanish (2)  Danish (2)  Swedish (2)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  French (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (143)
I recognize that Hemingway's memories of Paris are flawed and romanticized, but I still love this book, one of my go-to comfort reads. I never get tired of it. ( )
  GaylaBassham | May 27, 2018 |
Had read this before so listened to it this time. Unfortunately, there's a reason Hemingway is subject so often to parody. His intentional avoidance of all adjectives or variation in sentences makes him difficult to listen to as well as to read. Enjoyed his portraits of his peers, but would not have made it all the way thru had this not been for a book club. ( )
  abycats | May 11, 2018 |
A Moveable Feast is documented as a work of fiction. The characters referenced were real people in Hemingway's life during his first marriage. If you want a want a glimpse into Hemingway's life, this is the book to read.

I read The Paris Wife which was written from his wife's perspective. A Moveable Feast is like reading the male perspective without a ghost writer.

A few reviews mentioned the importance of having been to Paris to read this book. I have been to Europe but not Paris. I did not feel lost. I just felt the urge to grab my passport and pack my bags. ( )
  godmotherx5 | Apr 5, 2018 |
Yes, Hemingway is a giant of American literature. Still, I do not like his writing style. His descriptions are literal but his sentences can be long, rambling and nonsensical. While this was interesting to read as a writer, only readers well versed in Hemingway’s biography will be able to fill in all the blanks Hemingway leaves. ( )
  MelissaLenhardt | Mar 11, 2018 |
My first Hemingway book and it took me a chapter or two to hear his voice. Thankfully the chapters are short or I may not have persevered. I'm glad I did. This is a remembrance of Hemingway's life in Paris at that time early in the 1920s when the Bohemian Set were starting to assemble themselves in this city full of expatriates. He was friends with some of the big names, James Joyce, Ezra Pound, Ford Maddox Ford, Gertrude Stein and Scott Fitzgerald. A bookshop called Shakespeare and Company run by Sylvia Beach was where they could all meet and talk about their writing, and it was Sylvia Beach who published Jame's Joyce's Ulysees, which was banned in Britain and the United States! Hemingway has a particular writing style, very pared back and yet descriptive. How he manages to do both at the same time is indeed his special skill. I was reminded of the writing style in Early Readers, where the sentences are short and clipped - We went to the zoo. We saw a lion and a tiger. This made us happy. But then Mr Hemingway will give you a sentence like this - " To have come on all this new world of writing, with time to read in a city like Paris where there was a way of living well and working, no matter how poor you were, was like having a great treasure given to you." (page 117) Paris in the 20's was where Ernest and his wife lived happily with their first born son, poor financially but rich in the happiness of their life. ( )
  Fliss88 | Dec 30, 2017 |
Important note!: this review is of the edition that Hemingway's grandson revised because he didn't like the original's contents. Hotchner argues for ignoring this edition in favor of the original.

"The grandson has removed several sections of the book’s final chapter and replaced them with other writing of Hemingway’s that the grandson feels paints his grandma in a more sympathetic light. Ten other chapters that roused the grandson’s displeasure have been relegated to an appendix."

"All publishers, Scribner included, are guardians of the books that authors entrust to them. Someone who inherits an author’s copyright is not entitled to amend his work. There is always the possibility that the inheritor could write his own book offering his own corrections. Ernest was very protective of the words he wrote, words that gave the literary world a new style of writing. Surely he has the right to have these words protected against frivolous incursion, like this reworked volume that should be called “A Moveable Book.” I hope the Authors Guild is paying attention."

He is gentle, wistful, and almost nostalgic. One writer friend once described Hemingway to me as "that bully" and in many ways my friend was right. Hemingway had created his own public personae that included a brusque way of conducting himself; of a kind of machismo that would be called out for what it was these days; and an insensitivity to other people that bordered on the cruel. A lot of that 'Grace under pressure" is crap, and in his better moments, Heminway probably knew that. But the stories in A Moveable Feast belie all that. He remembers those days in Paris with a fondness and kindness that is remarkable, considering his usual public displays.

For that voice of a shattered Hemingway alone, the new edition of A Moveable Feast is worth taking note of. Otherwise, what I'm calling the "classic" edition is the more coherent narrative.

"Though this may seem at first blush a fragmentary book, it is not so. It should be read as a novel, belongs among the author's better works and is, as 'mere writing,' vintage Hemingway."
added by GYKM | editNew York Times, Lewis Galantiere (May 10, 1964)

Hemingway, Ernestprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fritz-Crone, PelleTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hemingway, MaryIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hemingway, PatrickForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hemingway, SeánEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schuck, MaryCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vandenbergh, JohnTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wildschut, MarjolijnAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
If you are lucky enough to have lived in Paris as a young man, then wherever you go for the rest of your life, it stays with you, for Paris is a moveable feast. --Ernest Hemingway to a friend, 1950
Then there was the bad weather.
When I saw my wife again standing by the tracks...I wished I had died before I ever loved anyone but her.
But this is how Paris was in the early days when we were very poor and very happy.
Work could cure almost anything, I believed then, and I believe now. Then all I had to be cured of, I decided Miss Stein felt, was youth and loving my wife.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 068482499X, Paperback)

In the preface to A Moveable Feast, Hemingway remarks casually that "if the reader prefers, this book may be regarded as fiction"--and, indeed, fact or fiction, it doesn't matter, for his slim memoir of Paris in the 1920s is as enchanting as anything made up and has become the stuff of legend. Paris in the '20s! Hemingway and his first wife, Hadley, lived happily on $5 a day and still had money for drinks at the Closerie des Lilas, skiing in the Alps, and fishing trips to Spain. On every corner and at every café table, there were the most extraordinary people living wonderful lives and telling fantastic stories. Gertrude Stein invited Hemingway to come every afternoon and sip "fragrant, colorless alcohols" and chat admid her great pictures. He taught Ezra Pound how to box, gossiped with James Joyce, caroused with the fatally insecure Scott Fitzgerald (the acid portraits of him and his wife, Zelda, are notorious). Meanwhile, Hemingway invented a new way of writing based on this simple premise: "All you have to do is write one true sentence. Write the truest sentence you know."

Hemingway beautifully captures the fragile magic of a special time and place, and he manages to be nostalgic without hitting any false notes of sentimentality. "This is how Paris was in the early days when we were very poor and very happy," he concludes. Originally published in 1964, three years after his suicide, A Moveable Feast was the first of his posthumous books and remains the best. --David Laskin

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:36 -0400)

Hemingway records his five years in Paris, describing his own creative struggles and providing portraits of such fellow expatriates as Fitzgerald, Pound, and Stein

Legacy Library: Ernest Hemingway

Ernest Hemingway has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Ernest Hemingway's legacy profile.

See Ernest Hemingway's author page.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,033,084 books! | Top bar: Always visible