dismiss

The Great Gatsby (1925)

by F. Scott Fitzgerald

57,80595114 (3.87)3 / 1157
Jay Gatsby had once loved beautiful, spoiled Daisy Buchanan, then lost her to a rich boy. Now, mysteriously wealthy, he is ready to risk everything to woo her back. This is the definitive, textually accurate edition of a classic of twentieth-century literature, The Great Gatsby. The story of the fabulously wealthy Jay Gatsby and his love for the beautiful Daisy Buchanan has been acclaimed by generations of readers. But the first edition contained a number of errors resulting from Fitzgerald's extensive revisions and a rushed production schedule.… (more)
    The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway (themephi, sturlington)
    sturlington: Great novels of the Jazz Age.
    Flappers, Flasks and Foul Play by Ellen Mansoor Collier (TomWaitsTables)
    The Green Hat by Michael Arlen (Rebeki)
    Rebeki: Also narrated by a shadowy "outsider" figure and set in the glamorous 1920s.
    Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut (chwiggy)
    The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton (kara.shamy)
    Look at Me by Anita Brookner (KayCliff)
    The Red and the Black by Stendhal (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Shady social upstarts rising to prominence in societies dealing with fundamental class upheaval and entertaining romantic aspirations outside their traditional spheres.
    Garden by the Sea by Mercè Rodoreda (bluepiano)
    bluepiano: Garden by the Sea is set in same period & milieu & leaves behind a deeper impression.
    The Spoils of Poynton by Henry James (lottpoet)
    lottpoet: similarly has a peripheral narrator showing rich people behaving badly about some of the strangest things
    Goodbye to Berlin by Christopher Isherwood (LottaBerling)
    The Other Typist by Suzanne Rindell (akblanchard)
    akblanchard: In the afterword of The Other Typist, Suzanne Rindell acknowledges that her work was inspired by The Great Gatsby.
    Trust by Cynthia Ozick (citygirl)
    Le Grand Meaulnes by Alain-Fournier (mountebank)
    A Whistling Woman by A. S. Byatt (KayCliff)
    Kleider machen Leute by Gottfried Keller (chwiggy)
    An American Tragedy by Theodore Dreiser (Waldstein)
    Waldstein: Ten times longer, a hundred times harder to read, and a thousand times greater than Fitzgerald's lame and hysterical melodrama. Published only eight months later and nowadays largely forgotten, Dreiser's magnum opus is a much more powerful depiction of the rich and poor in America of the 1920s.… (more)
    Linden Hills by Gloria Naylor (lottpoet)
    lottpoet: This book features a well-off family, pillars of the community, taking things to quite tragic lengths. It follows an African-American family and so adds colorism and racism to the mix.
    An Unfinished Season: A Novel by Ward Just (elenchus)
    elenchus: Unfinished Season is set in the 1950s in and around Chicago, but elsewise an interesting parallel to The Great Gatsby in terms of setting and basic plot: class and manners among the society elite, and a young man wrestling with changes in family, caste, and personal relations.… (more)
    A Hundred Summers by Beatriz Williams (FFortuna)
    Vile Bodies by Evelyn Waugh (Sylak)

1920s (1)
Read (3)

English (898)  Spanish (16)  Italian (9)  French (5)  Swedish (4)  Dutch (3)  German (2)  Catalan (2)  Danish (1)  Hebrew (1)  Norwegian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (944)
Flappertastic. ( )
  leezeebee | Jul 6, 2020 |
“So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”

I have never read The Great Gatsby before now and somehow managed to not watch either movie about this book. Reading this book and having it end the way that it does, I just want to watch the Leonardo DiCaprio version since the gifs alone has me feel like this version captures the book quite well.

This book takes place during the Jazz Age, just before World War II erupts. Narrated by Nick Carraway, we have him tell the tale of Jay Gatsby and his unending love for Daisy.

Nick's character is there as a reader stand-in. We get to read about his thoughts about some of the people in the book here and there, but often he is merely re-telling a story to us that seems as if he has told it to himself repeatedly over and over again.

What I thought was well done is that we have Nick introduce us to Tom and Daisy Buchanan as well as to their friend Jordan Baker before we meet the mysterious Jay Gatsby. The three of them (Tom, Daisy, and Jordan) seem to be the very best epitome of the Jazz Age. Three people who don't seem to have a care in the world. Who look to their own pleasures first, and people second.

It's not surprising to find that Tom is backwards in his thinking (he goes in on the darker races rising up to crush the whites) and we quickly find out that he is not the husband that Daisy wishes him to be.

Daisy from our first glimpses of him seems shrewd and lost. She apparently knows what Tom is about when he is not with her. And it kills Daisy time and time again that no matter what she does, her husband is out there on one of his little "sprees."

Daisy seems to be everything that is golden and right though readers and Nick quickly get to see how shallow inside and out she is.

When we finally have Nick meet Gatsby you can read his disapproval and fascination of this man throughout the entire book. Eventually you realize that Nick in his own way though pitied Gatsby and wanted to protect him, because Nick saw way before Gatsby that his dream of Daisy and the life they should have had together, was not going to ever come.

When Jay comes upon Daisy the first time, you just feel for him. He is awkward and you know that he wants everything to happen as he has pictured it, probably a million times at that point.

What to do when you find out that everything that Gatsby has become, bought, made, was all for Daisy. The one woman that he feels understands him and has loved him, even though she has been married five years at this point to Tom. I could feel Nick's impatience and also love for Gatsby at times. Gatsby is quite childlike, when talking of Daisy, his belief that she could not have loved Tom ever, that she was forced because of Gatsby's circumstances to marry Tom.

But Gatsby's blindness to Daisy's failings is ultimately his undoing.

And in the end Nick is right, you can't repeat the past.

I thought that the writing was fantastic. From beginning to end. This book flows together so nicely you often wonder how you were able to get from one chapter to another since it feels so seamless.

The setting of New York, with Gatsby's home, Daisy's, home, and all of the other places in the book mentioned feels so real. The dock where the green light from Daisy's home is and where Gatsby looked to frequently for her, felt like a place I could trace with my own steps if one day I wanted to.

The parties, the drinking, the laughing, the music, the people. The way that Fitzgerald writes it, you might as well have been standing alongside Nick while he was a guest too.

What makes a great book to me is that you become so invested in the characters you want a different ending than the one you are provided. And so at the end, I wish for a different ending for Jay Gatsby than the one he got.

As one characters says to Nick in the end, "the poor son of a bitch." ( )
  ObsidianBlue | Jul 1, 2020 |
I loved the writing itself. It's clear and melodious, with an engaging rhythm that keeps you moving forward. If the story has a weakness, it's that a big part of the book hangs on a pretty large coincidence. It's also not a great novel if you're looking for an uplifting story of human triumph. But, for in depth characters and an honest look at human frailties, it's top notch. ( )
  James_Maxey | Jun 29, 2020 |
Hated it so much
might improve on second read
if I can stand to. ( )
1 vote Eggpants | Jun 25, 2020 |
This was one of my year twelve books. The first time I read it, I wasn't that excited by it, but I loved it more with each reading. As I said, it was a year twelve book, so there were a lot of re-reads. ( )
  Tara_Calaby | Jun 22, 2020 |
The Great Gatsby is a romance novel that written by American Author F.Scott Fitzgerald.This novel is talk about the New Yorker in 1900s.The Great Gatsby is a classic piece of American fiction. It is a novel full of triumph and tragedy.Nick Carraway is the narrator, or storyteller, of The Great Gatsby, but he is not the story's protagonist, or main character. Instead, Jay Gatsby is the protagonist of the novel that bears his name. Tom Buchanan is the book's antagonist, opposing Gatsby's attempts to get what he wants: Tom's wife Daisy.

The weakness of this book is they using the classic languange and a little difficult to understand.The weakness also about Gatsby affection to Daisy,He spends that money on lavish parties in the hopes that she will show up.When she finally spends time with him, for the first time in many years, he naively believes that she will leave Tom for him but,unfortunately she is not.

However,the strength of this book is the writer are using the unique title so the reader are feel sympathy and curious about it, also the characteristic about Jay Gatsby that teach the reader many lesson.

To conclude,this book is the very recommended book,especially High School students because Fitzgerald’s novel is a portal to the savage heart of the human spirit, and wonders at our enormous capacity to dream, to imagine, to hope and to persevere.
added by Billy_Kululu | editMedia Indonesia, Billy Kululu (Dec 2, 2016)

The great Gatsby is truly a romance book like no other.F.SCOTT.Switzgerald describing about the life of New Yorker in 1900s.This novel is very popular many students if high school are required by their teachers to read this book.The narrator of The Great Gatsby is a young man from Minnesota named Nick Carraway. He not only narrates the story but casts himself as the book’s author.As ive read about this book,Gatsby’s personality was nothing short of “gorgeous.”

moreover,the weakness about this book is hard to understand if u are not really pay attention on it.this novel is about a contradiction,Gatsby's idealism makes him blind.He doesn't see that Daisy can't have love and money, just money. Gatsby can't turn back time.He even doesn't see death coming toward him.

However,the strength of this book something quite different from others,it is the charm and beauty of writing,has many important meanings that should be learned early on in life.

To conclude,what i can say is don't be too obsessed just because you have so much money,money ain't last forever.but overall its a magnificent,fantastically, entertaining and enthralling story.
added by Nadilla-Syawie | editThe New York Times, Nadilla Syawie (Dec 1, 2016)

"The Great Gatsby" is in form no more than a glorified anecdote, and not too probable at that

What gives the story distinction is something quite different from the management of the action or the handling of the characters; it is the charm and beauty of the writing.
added by danielx | editChicago Tribune, HL Mencken (Jan 23, 2015)

I find Gatsby aesthetically overrated, psychologically vacant, and morally complacent; I think we kid ourselves about the lessons it contains. None of this would matter much to me if Gatsby were not also sacrosanct.

There is the convoluted moral logic, simultaneously Romantic and Machiavellian, by which the most epically crooked character in the book is the one we are commanded to admire. There’s the command itself: the controlling need to tell us what to think, both in and about the book. There’s the blanket embrace of that great American delusion by which wealth, poverty, and class itself stem from private virtue and vice. There’s Fitzgerald’s unthinking commitment to a gender order so archaic as to be Premodern: corrupt woman occasioning the fall of man. There is, relatedly, the travesty of his female characters—single parenthesis every one, thoughtless and thin. (Don’t talk to me about the standards of his time; the man hell-bent on being the voice of his generation was a contemporary of Dorothy Parker, Gertrude Stein, and Virginia Woolf, not to mention the great groundswell of activists who achieved the passage of the Nineteenth Amendment. Yet here he is in A Short Autobiography: “Women learn best not from books or from their own dreams but from reality and from contact with first-class men.”)
added by danielx | editVulture, Kathryn Schultz (Jul 4, 2013)

It is an impressive accomplishment. And yet, apart from the restrained, intelligent, beautifully constructed opening pages and a few stray passages thereafter—a melancholy twilight walk in Manhattan; some billowing curtains settling into place at the closing of a drawing-room door—Gatsby as a literary creation leaves me cold. Like one of those manicured European parks patrolled on all sides by officious gendarmes, it is pleasant to look at, but you will not find any people inside.

Indeed, The Great Gatsby is less involved with human emotion than any book of comparable fame I can think of. None of its characters are likable. None of them are even dislikable, though nearly all of them are despicable. They function here only as types, walking through the pages of the book like kids in a school play who wear sashes telling the audience what they represent: OLD MONEY, THE AMERICAN DREAM, ORGANIZED CRIME.

Fitzgerald, F. ScottAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Is retold in

Has the adaptation

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a concordance

Has as a student's study guide

Has as a teacher's guide

Then wear the gold hat, if that will move her;
      If you can bounce high, bounce for her too,
Till she cry "Lover, gold-hatted, high-bouncing lover,
      I must have you!"
—Thomas Parke D'Invilliers
ONCE AGAIN
TO
ZELDA
In my younger and more vulnerable years my father gave me some advice that I've been turning over in my mind ever since.
Let us learn to show our friendship for a man when he is alive and not after he is dead.
All right ... I'm glad it's a girl. And I hope she'll be a fool—that's the best thing a girl can be in this world, a beautiful little fool.
This is a valley of ashes—a fantastic farm where ashes grow like wheat into ridges and hills and grotesque gardens, where ashes take the forms of houses and chimneys and rising smoke and finally, with a transcendent effort, of men who move dimly and already crumbling through the powdery air. Occasionally a line of gray cars crawls along an invisible track, gives out a ghastly creak and comes to rest, and immediately the ash-gray men swarm up with leaden spades and stir up an impenetrable cloud which screens their obscure operations from your sight.
"Whenever you feel like criticizing any one," he told me. "just remember that all the people in this world haven't had the advantages that you've had."
I rented a house ... on that slender riotous island which extends itself due east of new york -- where there are, among other natural curiosities, two unusual formations of land. Twenty miles from the city a pair of enormous eggs, identical in contour and seprated only by a courtesy bay, jut out into the most domesticated body of salt water in the Western hemisphere, the great wet barnyard of Long Island Sound. They are not perfect ovals ... but their physical resembalnce must be a source of perpetual wonder to the gullsthat fly overhead.
This work is the book.
Wordsworth Classics publication of "The Great Gatsby" by F. Scott Fitzgerald, KS3 Success Workbook Maths Levels 5-8, and "Driving Democracy: Do Power-Sharing Institutions Work?" by Norris, Pippa were falsely combined. This seemed to be driven by the ISBNs.

[R.L. 7.3, 8 pts]
Set in the 1920s, this is the tragic love story of Jay Gatsby, a dashing, enigmatic millionaire, obsessed with an elusive, spoiled young woman, Daisy Buchanan.
New neighbor is rich
and throws wild parties for friends.
The American dream.

7 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141182636, 0140007466, 0141023430, 0141037636, 024195147X, 1922079553, 0734306865

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1907832564, 1907832572

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,942,983 books! | Top bar: Always visible