The Great Gatsby (1925)

by F. Scott Fitzgerald

60,285100614 (3.86)3 / 1200
After the Great War, the mysterious Jay Gatsby, a self-made millionaire, pursues wealth, riches and the lady he lost to another man with stoic determination. He buys a mansion across from her house and throws lavish parties to entice her. When Gatsby finally does reunite with Daisy Buchanan, tragic events are set in motion. Told through the eyes of his detached and omnipresent neighbour and friend, Nick Carraway, Fitzgerald's succinct and powerful prose hints at the destruction and tragedy that awaits.… (more)
    The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway (themephi, sturlington)
    sturlington: Great novels of the Jazz Age.
    Flappers, Flasks and Foul Play by Ellen Mansoor Collier (TomWaitsTables)
    Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut (chwiggy)
    The Green Hat by Michael Arlen (Rebeki)
    Rebeki: Also narrated by a shadowy "outsider" figure and set in the glamorous 1920s.
    The Red and the Black by Stendhal (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Shady social upstarts rising to prominence in societies dealing with fundamental class upheaval and entertaining romantic aspirations outside their traditional spheres.
    The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton (kara.shamy)
    Look at Me by Anita Brookner (KayCliff)
    Garden by the Sea by Mercè Rodoreda (bluepiano)
    bluepiano: Garden by the Sea is set in same period & similar milieu & leaves behind a deeper impression.
    The Spoils of Poynton by Henry James (lottpoet)
    lottpoet: similarly has a peripheral narrator showing rich people behaving badly about some of the strangest things
    Goodbye to Berlin by Christopher Isherwood (LottaBerling)
    The Other Typist by Suzanne Rindell (akblanchard)
    akblanchard: In the afterword of The Other Typist, Suzanne Rindell acknowledges that her work was inspired by The Great Gatsby.
    Le Grand Meaulnes by Alain-Fournier (mountebank)
    A Whistling Woman by A. S. Byatt (KayCliff)
    Trust by Cynthia Ozick (citygirl)
    Kleider machen Leute by Gottfried Keller (chwiggy)
    Linden Hills by Gloria Naylor (lottpoet)
    lottpoet: This book features a well-off family, pillars of the community, taking things to quite tragic lengths. It follows an African-American family and so adds colorism and racism to the mix.
    Gentlemen Prefer Blondes by Anita Loos (acceptance)
    acceptance: Two short novels of the Jazz age, published in the same year. Fun to compare the two.
    An Unfinished Season: A Novel by Ward Just (elenchus)
    elenchus: Unfinished Season is set in the 1950s in and around Chicago, but elsewise an interesting parallel to The Great Gatsby in terms of setting and basic plot: class and manners among the society elite, and a young man wrestling with changes in family, caste, and personal relations.… (more)
    An American Tragedy by Theodore Dreiser (Waldstein)
    Waldstein: Ten times longer, a hundred times harder to read, and a thousand times greater than Fitzgerald's lame and hysterical melodrama. Published only eight months later and nowadays largely forgotten, Dreiser's magnum opus is a much more powerful depiction of the rich and poor in America of the 1920s.… (more)
    A Hundred Summers by Beatriz Williams (FFortuna)

Read (3)

English (948)  Spanish (16)  Italian (10)  French (6)  Swedish (5)  Dutch (3)  Catalan (2)  German (2)  Hebrew (1)  Danish (1)  Hungarian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (997)
Video review/thoughts: http://youtu.be/LMPtrQfvH8c

# 2019 Grappling Continued #
Maureen Corrigan's book, [b:So We Read On: How The Great Gatsby Came to Be and Why It Endures|20454072|So We Read On How The Great Gatsby Came to Be and Why It Endures|Maureen Corrigan|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1414350915l/20454072._SY75_.jpg|32073856], depresses me with its author's sheer passion. I want this passion for Gatsby too! Her sumptuous text boils down to:
(1) "powerhouse poetic style,"
(2) "nails who we want to be as Americans,"
(3) "say[s] something big about America and...[is] beautifully written,"
(4) "every line, every page of the work...is just about perfect,"
(5) "foregrounds class instead of race,"
(6) "Fitzgerald always wants to want."

Corrigan particularly emphasizes the greatness of the writing. Of course, this list severely reduces the scope of the book, but it seems that the more one reads the book the more one begins to succumb to its charms. (What was it Flaubert said about being more of a scholar if one stuck to just a half dozen books?)

I decided to re-read Jonathan Yardley's article on Gatsby in his collection, [b:Second Reading: Notable and Neglected Books Revisited|10119992|Second Reading Notable and Neglected Books Revisited|Jonathan Yardley|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1328000565l/10119992._SY75_.jpg|15017656]. His claims are in the same vein as Corrigan's:

"Reading it now for the seventh or eighth time, I am more convinced than ever not merely that it is Fitzgerald's masterwork but that it is the American masterwork, the finest work of fiction by any of this country's writers" (242).

So, my conclusion after this second reading is that I have at least five more readings of the novel to go before it may start to open up to me.

# 2019 Reading #
I'd like to think my reading abilities have matured in the last seven years, and, certainly, I got way more out of this than the first time I read it (upgrading rating from two to three stars). Yet I still fail to see its enormous appeal. I am reading Maureen Corrigan's hagiography of the book and its author, [b:So We Read On: How The Great Gatsby Came to Be and Why It Endures|20454072|So We Read On How The Great Gatsby Came to Be and Why It Endures|Maureen Corrigan|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1414350915l/20454072._SY75_.jpg|32073856], so perhaps it will open my eyes. One thing I can go ahead and say is that the last four chapters outweighed the first five by far. I will reserve all further judgments, however, until I read it through again.

# 2012 Reading #
This was the first time I read it, and I didn't get anything out of it. Gave it 2 stars. ( )
  chrisvia | Apr 30, 2021 |
Set in the Roaring Twenties era in America, this book explores the interactions that Nick Carraway has with his millionaire neighbor Jay Gatsby. While exploring the divide between new money and old money, Carraway lays witness to Gatsby's obsessive efforts to win back his old lover, Daisy Buchanan, who is married to the harrowing, "old money" millionaire Tom Buchanan. This book is recommended for high school students, as the descriptive text of the roaring twenty presents a great opportunity for these students to analyze historical motifs present in the story. ( )
  amassa1994 | Apr 25, 2021 |
I loved the writing style but not the plot. ( )
  afrozenbookparadise | Apr 22, 2021 |
Reading a couple of other reviews on here showed me how polarizing The Great Gatsby could be. On the one hand most people thought this book was fantastic and gave it 5 stars. Others gave it a lowly 1 star. I guess I'm somewhere in between.

I found the prose to be flowery and descriptive. And I enjoy that kind of writing, so in that sense I found the book to be wonderful. Fitzgerald has a way of explaining things that paints vivid imagery on the minds' easel as your eyes flow over the pages.

The plot itself I didn't find particularly special or captivating. I never found myself wondering what would happen next to any of the characters. I found the events as they unfolded strange and disjointed-- almost unbelievable how everything came to.

Some have mentioned that they fell in love with the book after their 2nd reading. Maybe that will be the case for me. Only time will tell. ( )
  ProfessorEX | Apr 15, 2021 |
I love the narrator's voice and the crisp clean prose. ( )
  mbellucci | Apr 10, 2021 |
The Great Gatsby is a romance novel that written by American Author F.Scott Fitzgerald.This novel is talk about the New Yorker in 1900s.The Great Gatsby is a classic piece of American fiction. It is a novel full of triumph and tragedy.Nick Carraway is the narrator, or storyteller, of The Great Gatsby, but he is not the story's protagonist, or main character. Instead, Jay Gatsby is the protagonist of the novel that bears his name. Tom Buchanan is the book's antagonist, opposing Gatsby's attempts to get what he wants: Tom's wife Daisy.

The weakness of this book is they using the classic languange and a little difficult to understand.The weakness also about Gatsby affection to Daisy,He spends that money on lavish parties in the hopes that she will show up.When she finally spends time with him, for the first time in many years, he naively believes that she will leave Tom for him but,unfortunately she is not.

However,the strength of this book is the writer are using the unique title so the reader are feel sympathy and curious about it, also the characteristic about Jay Gatsby that teach the reader many lesson.

To conclude,this book is the very recommended book,especially High School students because Fitzgerald’s novel is a portal to the savage heart of the human spirit, and wonders at our enormous capacity to dream, to imagine, to hope and to persevere.
added by Billy_Kululu | editMedia Indonesia, Billy Kululu (Dec 2, 2016)

The great Gatsby is truly a romance book like no other.F.SCOTT.Switzgerald describing about the life of New Yorker in 1900s.This novel is very popular many students if high school are required by their teachers to read this book.The narrator of The Great Gatsby is a young man from Minnesota named Nick Carraway. He not only narrates the story but casts himself as the book’s author.As ive read about this book,Gatsby’s personality was nothing short of “gorgeous.”

moreover,the weakness about this book is hard to understand if u are not really pay attention on it.this novel is about a contradiction,Gatsby's idealism makes him blind.He doesn't see that Daisy can't have love and money, just money. Gatsby can't turn back time.He even doesn't see death coming toward him.

However,the strength of this book something quite different from others,it is the charm and beauty of writing,has many important meanings that should be learned early on in life.

To conclude,what i can say is don't be too obsessed just because you have so much money,money ain't last forever.but overall its a magnificent,fantastically, entertaining and enthralling story.
added by Nadilla-Syawie | editThe New York Times, Nadilla Syawie (Dec 1, 2016)

"The Great Gatsby" is in form no more than a glorified anecdote, and not too probable at that

What gives the story distinction is something quite different from the management of the action or the handling of the characters; it is the charm and beauty of the writing.
added by danielx | editChicago Tribune, HL Mencken (Jan 23, 2015)

I find Gatsby aesthetically overrated, psychologically vacant, and morally complacent; I think we kid ourselves about the lessons it contains. None of this would matter much to me if Gatsby were not also sacrosanct.

There is the convoluted moral logic, simultaneously Romantic and Machiavellian, by which the most epically crooked character in the book is the one we are commanded to admire. There’s the command itself: the controlling need to tell us what to think, both in and about the book. There’s the blanket embrace of that great American delusion by which wealth, poverty, and class itself stem from private virtue and vice. There’s Fitzgerald’s unthinking commitment to a gender order so archaic as to be Premodern: corrupt woman occasioning the fall of man. There is, relatedly, the travesty of his female characters—single parenthesis every one, thoughtless and thin. (Don’t talk to me about the standards of his time; the man hell-bent on being the voice of his generation was a contemporary of Dorothy Parker, Gertrude Stein, and Virginia Woolf, not to mention the great groundswell of activists who achieved the passage of the Nineteenth Amendment. Yet here he is in A Short Autobiography: “Women learn best not from books or from their own dreams but from reality and from contact with first-class men.”)
added by danielx | editVulture, Kathryn Schultz (Jul 4, 2013)

It is an impressive accomplishment. And yet, apart from the restrained, intelligent, beautifully constructed opening pages and a few stray passages thereafter—a melancholy twilight walk in Manhattan; some billowing curtains settling into place at the closing of a drawing-room door—Gatsby as a literary creation leaves me cold. Like one of those manicured European parks patrolled on all sides by officious gendarmes, it is pleasant to look at, but you will not find any people inside.

Indeed, The Great Gatsby is less involved with human emotion than any book of comparable fame I can think of. None of its characters are likable. None of them are even dislikable, though nearly all of them are despicable. They function here only as types, walking through the pages of the book like kids in a school play who wear sashes telling the audience what they represent: OLD MONEY, THE AMERICAN DREAM, ORGANIZED CRIME.

Fitzgerald, F. Scottprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

Is retold in

Has the (non-series) prequel

Has the adaptation

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a concordance

Has as a student's study guide

Has as a teacher's guide

Then wear the gold hat, if that will move her;
      If you can bounce high, bounce for her too,
Till she cry "Lover, gold-hatted, high-bouncing lover,
      I must have you!"
—Thomas Parke D'Invilliers
ONCE AGAIN
TO
ZELDA
In my younger and more vulnerable years my father gave me some advice that I've been turning over in my mind ever since.
Let us learn to show our friendship for a man when he is alive and not after he is dead.
All right ... I'm glad it's a girl. And I hope she'll be a fool—that's the best thing a girl can be in this world, a beautiful little fool.
This is a valley of ashes—a fantastic farm where ashes grow like wheat into ridges and hills and grotesque gardens, where ashes take the forms of houses and chimneys and rising smoke and finally, with a transcendent effort, of men who move dimly and already crumbling through the powdery air. Occasionally a line of gray cars crawls along an invisible track, gives out a ghastly creak and comes to rest, and immediately the ash-gray men swarm up with leaden spades and stir up an impenetrable cloud which screens their obscure operations from your sight.
"Whenever you feel like criticizing any one," he told me. "just remember that all the people in this world haven't had the advantages that you've had."
I rented a house ... on that slender riotous island which extends itself due east of new york -- where there are, among other natural curiosities, two unusual formations of land. Twenty miles from the city a pair of enormous eggs, identical in contour and seprated only by a courtesy bay, jut out into the most domesticated body of salt water in the Western hemisphere, the great wet barnyard of Long Island Sound. They are not perfect ovals ... but their physical resembalnce must be a source of perpetual wonder to the gullsthat fly overhead.
This work is the book.
Wordsworth Classics publication of "The Great Gatsby" by F. Scott Fitzgerald, KS3 Success Workbook Maths Levels 5-8, and "Driving Democracy: Do Power-Sharing Institutions Work?" by Norris, Pippa were falsely combined. This seemed to be driven by the ISBNs.

[R.L. 7.3, 8 pts]
Set in the 1920s, this is the tragic love story of Jay Gatsby, a dashing, enigmatic millionaire, obsessed with an elusive, spoiled young woman, Daisy Buchanan.
New neighbor is rich
and throws wild parties for friends.
The American dream.

7 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141182636, 0140007466, 0141023430, 0141037636, 024195147X, 1922079553, 0734306865

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1907832564, 1907832572

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,941,620 books! | Top bar: Always visible