Death of a Salesman (1948)

by Arthur Miller

Reprint of the 1967 ed. published by Viking Press, New York.
    All My Sons by Arthur Miller (timspalding)
    timspalding: Similar, if not as good.
    Our Town by Thornton Wilder (kxlly)
    The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (FFortuna)
    A View from the Bridge by Arthur Miller (varwenea)
    varwenea: A shared thread of angst amongst the common men ties these two plays. Both leads are flawed. Both pay for their mistakes.
    1933 Was A Bad Year by John Fante (Babou_wk)
    Babou_wk: Le fils refuse de suivre la carrière professionnelle de son père.

English (99)  Spanish (3)  Catalan (2)  Norwegian (1)  Italian (1)  French (1)  All languages (107)
Play read with my granddaughter. She didn't like it. I didn't mind it at all. ( )
  Kristelh | Aug 7, 2022 |
It was definitely a bit confusing to read at first, but as I got more into it, it made a lot more sense. I recently read The Crucible from the same other and I loved it. Normally, this wouldn’t be the type of play that I’d enjoy reading, but I really loved it! ( )
  eshea | Jun 27, 2022 |
I'm sure it's brilliant, but I didn't enjoy it. I think I just have a problem with plays in general. ( )
  AlainaZ | Jun 5, 2022 |
A very distressing read, so well done. I look forward to seeing the play performed. ( )
  brakketh | Dec 31, 2021 |
There are any number of applicable descriptors like well written and controversial. I am comfortable reviewing the work because by playing a character in community theater, I read and saw it performed many times. Willy is likeable, obviously loves his son but at every test of virtue he chooses the wrong option leading him to a poor end. ( )
  MichealJimerson | Dec 12, 2021 |

Miller, ArthurAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Boehlke, HenningCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Has as a study

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

A melody is heard, played upon a flute.
You don't understand: Willy was a salesman. And for a salesman, there is no rock bottom to the life... He's a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back - that's an earthquake.
He's liked, but he's not well liked.
Biff : Shouldn’t we do anything?

Linda : Oh, my dear, you should do a lot of things, but there’s nothing to do, so go to sleep.
Charley : Howard fired you?

Willy : That snotnose. Imagine that? I named him. I named him Howard.

Charley : Willy, when’re you gonna realize that them things don’t mean anything? You named him Howard, but you can’t sell that. The only thing you got in this world is what you can sell. And the funny thing is that you’re a salesman, and you don’t know that.

Willy : I’ve always tried to think otherwise, I guess. I always felt that if a man was impressive, and well liked, that nothing-

Charley : Why must everybody like you? Who liked J. P. Morgan? Was he impressive?...But with his pockets on he was very well liked.
1949 stage play

Reprint of the 1967 ed. published by Viking Press, New York.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,976,077 books! | Top bar: Always visible