The Mysteries of Pittsburgh by Michael…

The Mysteries of Pittsburgh (1988)

by Michael Chabon

Recently added byveredi, private library, Aneal93, mothus, tylerjedrey, copyedit52, ameliatriest, Schwing1
Legacy LibrariesNewton 'Bud' Flounders
    The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (zhejw)
    zhejw: The Great Gatsby also takes place over the course of one summer after the protagonist graduates from college. Chabon has acknowledged it as one of the influences for his book.
    Werewolves in Their Youth: Stories by Michael Chabon (Patangel)
    Patangel: La même humanité transparait dans ces deux ouvrages du même auteur.
    The Buddha of Suburbia by Hanif Kureishi (brianjungwi)

English (36)  French (1)  Hebrew (1)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  All (40)
If it weren't my Chabon, much of whose work I have enjoyed, I would not even have tried this.  After all, one reviewer compares the hero to Holden Caulfield, whom I find both boring and annoying.  And from the first the book is turning me off, with the hard-partying youth who really need to get a grip and either choose joy or worry about something real, instead of about existential philosophy or Jr. High style crushes.  Still, Chabon does have a style, a grace, a voice... I did manage to get to p72 before deciding that I have better things to do with my time.
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 5, 2016 |
Sort of a "coming of age" affair, or is that "coming out", or just "coming"? Sort of Chabon's calling card as a writer, the book demonstrates an early skill at writing, not so much at plot and character development. I wouldn't start here if I wanted to read Chabon and hadn't done so. ( )
  nog | Jul 31, 2015 |
I loved this book. It's a great spring/summer read. I read most of it lying on my stomach on a blanket in the backyard on the most beautiful day in May. Michael Chabon before he was MICHAEL CHABON! A coming of age story full of wonder and adventure and just a touch of sadness. ( )
  KristySP | Apr 21, 2013 |
It's an okay first novel. Coming of age type of story with few twists and turns. More an inside the head of the lead character that I didn't really like. There wasn't any characters that I liked really. Not Arthur "Art" Bechstein, the "hero" of the tale, certainly not Phlox, the young woman or Arthur the young man both working at the library whom Art's heart both love. It's one summer of not really growing up, not really choosing your path but more a summer of indecision and choosing the only way that's left to oneself after blowing up the other ways by your indecision. Not really my cup of tea but won't stop me from reading Chabon again. I have Gentlemen of the Road in my to read pile sometimes this year. ( )
  writerlibrarian | Apr 4, 2013 |
Well, I think this book is a little socially immature..the writing is still of pretty high quality but I would not recommend ever reading this book over The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay unless you're going through a sexual identity crisis. I do like the bit about the Cloud Factory though... ( )
  kirstiecat | Mar 31, 2013 |
We have shared it out like thieves
the amazing treasure of nights and days
J.L.Borges
To Lollie
At the beginning of the summer I had lunch with my father, the gangster, who was in town for the weekend to transact some of his vague business.

By the Pulitzer Prize-winning author of The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay

This P.S. edition features an extra 16 pages of insights into the book, including author interviews, recommended reading, and more.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:13 -0400)

Now reissued, Michael Chabon's "New York Times" bestselling first novel is a funny, tender coming-of-age novel that introduces readers to Art Bechstein, a Holden Caulfield for the post-Boomer/pre-Gen X-er generation. Chabon's first novel was universally lauded as the arrival of a rare and remarkable new literary talent who has proved to be one of our most profound and original writers.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,322,473 books! | Top bar: Always visible