Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders

Lincoln in the Bardo (2017)

by George Saunders

2,7042003,248 (3.99)348

English (196)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (199)
Extraordinarily creative format, alternating between ghost dialogue and real, historical source material. I found Saunders’ writing to be both raw and visceral, yet poignant and sympathetic. I found the main message of this book to be to live without regrets, but even then, what we consider regrets may be perceived very differently by others. ( )
  Brauer11431 | Apr 16, 2019 |
Wow, well written. Whether you love the book or hate it. It is a masterpiece of research and writing! ( )
  skyeval | Apr 1, 2019 |
A creative, unique book but I did not enjoy it. ( )
  Milehighlibrarian | Mar 28, 2019 |
I've already noted the Saundersization of short fiction in recent years. I can't imagine anyone trying to emulate what he's done with this novel. Written almost as a screenplay with every paragraph assigned to a different speaker, this is a wacky and heartbreaking tale of the afterlife as experienced by Abraham Lincoln's son. This won't be for everyone, but it's a terrific riff on life, death, war, slavery and fatherhood that is never boring, often hilarious and quite without peer. ( )
  asxz | Mar 13, 2019 |
If I had the time, I would write a long review about this one--it blew my mind. In every way possible this book is a game changer. LOVED IT. This author has a transcendent vision of the world. ( )
  KellyFordon | Mar 6, 2019 |

Sedaris, DavidNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stiller, BenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Webb, E.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Caitlin and Alena
On our wedding day I was forty-six, she was eighteen.
I will never forget those solemn moments—genius and greatness weeping over the love's lost idol.
Having never loved or been loved in that previous place, they were frozen here in a youthful state of perpetual emotional vacuity; interested only in freedom, profligacy, and high-jinks, railing against any limitation or commitment whatsoever.
In truth, we were bored, so very bored, so continually bored.
Birds being distrustful of our ilk.
Any admiration we might once have felt for their endurance had long since devolved into revulsion.

Unread I hold it,
a new Saunders book is come.
My evening expands.
(SomeGuyInVirginia)

From the seed of historical truth that is the death of President Lincoln's beloved eleven-year-old son Willie, George Saunders spins a "story of familial love and loss that breaks free of its realistic, historical framework into a supernatural realm ... Willie Lincoln finds himself in a strange purgatory where ghosts mingle, gripe, commiserate, quarrel, and enact bizarre acts of penance. Within this transitional state--called, in the Tibetan tradition, the bardo--a monumental struggle erupts over young Willie's soul"--Amazon.com.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,090,786 books! | Top bar: Always visible