dismiss

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

The Graveyard Book (2008)

by Neil Gaiman

17,5081129182 (4.18)1 / 1273
Nobody Owens is a normal boy, except that he has been raised by ghosts and other denizens of the graveyard.
Recently added bybradleyhorner, private library, Nicole.M.Brothers, Daisyreadthat, Nery17, BPowell.ELA4, rena40, dcdfn
Legacy LibrariesTim Spalding
    Coraline by Neil Gaiman (FFortuna, moonstormer)
    The Jungle Books by Rudyard Kipling (veracity)
    James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl (ut.tecum.loquerer)
    A Fine and Private Place by Peter S. Beagle (lorax)
    lorax: Beagle's work is not YA, but it is a classic, beautifully written love story involving ghosts and a man living in a cemetary.
    The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman (emperatrix)
    Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones (ut.tecum.loquerer)
    Un Lun Dun by China Miéville (heidialice)
    heidialice: Both are fantastical YA at its best. Gaiman is an acknowledged inspiration for Mieville, and it shows, though he has his own distinctive style and voice.
    The House with a Clock in Its Walls by John Bellairs (timspalding)
    The Wolves in the Walls by Neil Gaiman (moonstormer)
    From the Dust Returned by Ray Bradbury (Ape)
    Ape: Eerily similar stories...
    The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman (ut.tecum.loquerer)
    The Thief of Always by Clive Barker (kawika)
    Fragile Things: Short Fictions and Wonders by Neil Gaiman (PghDragonMan)
    The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly (jonathankws)
    Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger (heidialice)
    heidialice: Similar in setting, and both ghost stories, these are very different books, but fans of one should be interested in the other.
    The Palace of Laughter by Jon Berkeley (FFortuna)
    Abarat by Clive Barker (kawika)
    A Night in the Lonesome October by Roger Zelazny (MyriadBooks)
    Down the Mysterly River by Bill Willingham (keeneam)
    A Monster Calls: Inspired by an idea from Siobhan Dowd by Patrick Ness (kaledrina)

Ghosts (2)
To Read (18)

English (1,111)  German (4)  Portuguese (Brazil) (2)  Dutch (2)  French (2)  Romanian (1)  Hungarian (1)  Spanish (1)  Finnish (1)  Norwegian (1)  Italian (1)  Catalan (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (1,129)
I love Neil Gaiman and this story really was magical (kinda reminded me a of Harry Potter-like world) but was not impressed with the overall story. I hate to say this, but if I knew this book was part of a series, I'd probably give it a higher rating. Just too many plot lines that were not explored deeper, and other plot lines that were needlessly drawn out.

Though the book's main character is a child, this book is not for children. There is nothing inappropriate in there, but the themes are too advanced for children. I suppose it could also be quite scary.

This book being read near Halloween would give it an extra scare.

Above all, recommended but keep your expectations low.

Edit: Many, many typos. Perhaps I originally wrote this on my phone? I hope...? ( )
  cgfaulknerog | May 28, 2020 |
I really enjoyed the premise of this book, and the imagery was classic Gaiman. If I had the option I'd give it 4 1/2 stars, because there were some questions that I felt were really obvious (due to the main character's age) left unanswered at the end of the book, but since I don't have a half-star option in Goodreads, I'll round up. The unanswered questions were more annoyances than anything. ( )
  ca.bookwyrm | May 18, 2020 |
A re-read for me, the first time through for Charlie. Between readings of Gaiman, I tend to forget how he rarely comes right out and tells you anything at all, but instead hints at things and has things peak round corners at you, shows you a quarter of a smile, or half a talon. I love him for that. And I loved reading this one to Charlie and watching out of the corner of my eye as he soaked all that in, along with the fantastic story, the idea that there are so many ways to tell a thing, that some of the best of them are ways that involve not actually telling the thing at all. ( )
1 vote scaifea | May 13, 2020 |
Read for the first time in or around 2010, or there-abouts.

Listened to the first time/ read the second, 2016.
Full cast audiobook production done by Harper Collins, at Strathmore Studios, London. Cast includes these actors/actresses:

Narrated by Derek Jacobi
and Mr. Kirby: Reece Shearsmith
Mrs. Owens & Mrs. Lopeskew: Miriam Margolyes
Jack/Jay Frost: Andrew Scott
Hon. Archibald Fitzhough: Lenny Henry

Other cast member voices include:
Tim Dann,
Sean Baker,
Elizabeth Bennett
Alan Corduna
Adua Ando
Jenny Gannon
Daniel Wayman
Daniel Bockelbank

(Any misspellings of any names are my own doing, and are completely by accident. I'm not the best speller, and I had to sound this out on my own, from the audiobook. I hope I have not offended anyone.)

Please, give this wonderfully done audiobook a listen to, today. It's well worth your while. Seriously. Five stars, yet again. ( )
  stephanie_M | Apr 30, 2020 |
Neil Gaiman has so much imagination, and writes great stories. Loved the book. A story of hope and courage and living. ( )
  aarondesk | Apr 22, 2020 |
Gaiman writes with charm and humor, and again he has a real winner.
added by lampbane | editVOYA, Rayna Patton (Jul 24, 2009)

Like a bite of dark Halloween chocolate, this novel proves rich, bittersweet and very satisfying.

This is fine work, from beginning to end, and the best bedtime story read-aloud material I've encountered in a long time. Can't wait until my daughter's old enough to read this to.
added by lampbane | editBoing Boing, Cory Doctorow (Oct 10, 2008)

When the chilling moments do come, they are as genuinely frightening as only Gaiman can make them, and redeem any shortcomings.

While “The Graveyard Book” will entertain people of all ages, it’s especially a tale for children. Gaiman’s remarkable cemetery is a place that children more than anyone would want to visit. They would certainly want to look for Silas in his chapel, maybe climb down (if they were as brave as Bod) to the oldest burial chamber, or (if they were as reckless) search for the ghoul gate. Children will appreciate Bod’s occasional mistakes and bad manners, and relish his good acts and eventual great ones. The story’s language and humor are sophisticated, but Gaiman respects his readers and trusts them to understand.

Neil Gaimanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Over the stones
It's only a pauper
Who nobody owns

-- Traditional Nursery Rhyme
There was a hand in the darkness, and it held a knife.
Fortinbras Bartleby, ten years old when he had died (of consumption, he had told Bod, who had mistakenly believed for several years that Fortinbras had been eaten by lions or bears, and was extremely disappointed to learn it was merely a disease), now apologized to Bod.
“You’re always you, and that doesn’t change, and you’re always changing, and there’s nothing you can do about it.”
Nehemiah Trot said, “Ah, list to me, young Leander, young Hero, young Alexander. If you dare nothing, then when the day is over, nothing is all you will have gained.”
“And for that reason, if for no other, it is vital that the child be raised with as little disruption as possible to the, if you’ll forgive the expression, the life of the graveyard.”
"It's like the people who believe they'll be happy if they go and live somewhere else, but who learn it doesn't work that way. Wherever you go, you take yourself with you." p. 104
This is the original prose book. Please don't combine it with any other format (Graphic novel, movie, etc).

Nobody Owens lost his "really" family when he was infant and became adopted by a ghost family in his local cemetery. Aside from having ghosts for parents and guardians he also persued by the mysterious man who killed his family.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,533,469 books! | Top bar: Always visible