The Graveyard Book (2008)

by Neil Gaiman

18,5141173178 (4.18)1 / 1281
Nobody Owens is a normal boy, except that he has been raised by ghosts and other denizens of the graveyard.
Recently added byArina42, mforrest, JustGerry, private library, GilsumLibrary, literarylifelines, fairy.bookmother
Legacy LibrariesTim Spalding
    Coraline by Neil Gaiman (FFortuna, moonstormer)
    The Jungle Books by Rudyard Kipling (veracity)
    James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl (ut.tecum.loquerer)
    A Fine and Private Place by Peter S. Beagle (lorax)
    lorax: Beagle's work is not YA, but it is a classic, beautifully written love story involving ghosts and a man living in a cemetary.
    The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman (emperatrix)
    Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones (ut.tecum.loquerer)
    Un Lun Dun by China Miéville (heidialice)
    heidialice: Both are fantastical YA at its best. Gaiman is an acknowledged inspiration for Mieville, and it shows, though he has his own distinctive style and voice.
    The House with a Clock in Its Walls by John Bellairs (timspalding)
    The Wolves in the Walls by Neil Gaiman (moonstormer)
    From the Dust Returned by Ray Bradbury (Ape)
    Ape: Eerily similar stories...
    Northern Lights by Philip Pullman (ut.tecum.loquerer)
    The Thief of Always by Clive Barker (kawika)
    Fragile Things: Short Fictions and Wonders by Neil Gaiman (PghDragonMan)
    The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly (jonathankws)
    Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger (heidialice)
    heidialice: Similar in setting, and both ghost stories, these are very different books, but fans of one should be interested in the other.
    The Palace of Laughter by Jon Berkeley (FFortuna)
    Abarat by Clive Barker (kawika)
    A Night in the Lonesome October by Roger Zelazny (MyriadBooks)
    Down the Mysterly River by Bill Willingham (keeneam)
    A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness (kaledrina)

Ghosts (2)
To Read (18)

English (1,149)  German (4)  Portuguese (Brazil) (2)  Dutch (2)  French (2)  Romanian (1)  Hungarian (1)  Spanish (1)  Finnish (1)  Norwegian (1)  Italian (1)  Catalan (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (1,167)
It was good; I liked it. I haven’t read a lot of Neil Gaiman but I think he comes up with some of the coolest ideas out there. His characters always leave me a little cold, however, and I’m never quite as emotionally invested in their relationships as I want to be. This book had a lot of that for me. Still, this had a great premise and it’s well-executed so, yeah, read it. You’ll know based on the summary if you’ll like it. ( )
  jobinsonlis | May 11, 2021 |
I enjoyed this story. I think my 12 yo nephew would like it, but not his 9 yo sister. Age difference not gender difference being the divider. It fits very comfortably alongside Coraline on the bookshelf. ( )
  KittyCunningham | Apr 26, 2021 |
4.3 How Nobody came to the graveyard. There was a hand in the darkness, and it held a knife.

At fist the first two lines of the book did not make much sense, but as I read on they were ingenious. I'm not the biggest fan of the storytelling style Gaiman used for th novel, where each chapter is like a separate adventure, but the story was so unique and hooking this I just had to read on. I absolutely love the concept, the relationships, and the mysteries. ( )
  afrozenbookparadise | Apr 22, 2021 |
This was a good book. I tried reading it when I was younger and I found that I didn't like it, but now that I read it, it was good. I especially like the ending.
Anyways, this book isn't really written just to be enjoyed by children, and people of all ages can enjoy this book. ( )
1 vote Mithra_Azad | Mar 26, 2021 |
This was a lovely read. This is a story that can definitely be appreciated at different layers and is for many different ages. Younger readers will definitely find a lot of adventure and maybe even some moments of suspense and horror. Adult readers will also be able to understand the older characters in the book and be able to look at Bod in a different way.

While Gaiman never explains directly the 'rules' that the ghosts and others exist by, his world building still feels very consistent and readers are able to follow along on this different way of viewing ghosts, graveyards, etc. than they may have encountered before.

I do hope that one day we get a story more about Silas, especially.

Note: If you are reading the 10th Anniversary Edition, be warned that the foreword by Margret Atwood contains mild spoilers. (I was very, very glad I didn't read it till after finishing the book) ( )
1 vote Sara_Cat | Mar 6, 2021 |
Gaiman writes with charm and humor, and again he has a real winner.
added by lampbane | editVOYA, Rayna Patton (Jul 24, 2009)

Like a bite of dark Halloween chocolate, this novel proves rich, bittersweet and very satisfying.

This is fine work, from beginning to end, and the best bedtime story read-aloud material I've encountered in a long time. Can't wait until my daughter's old enough to read this to.
added by lampbane | editBoing Boing, Cory Doctorow (Oct 10, 2008)

When the chilling moments do come, they are as genuinely frightening as only Gaiman can make them, and redeem any shortcomings.

While “The Graveyard Book” will entertain people of all ages, it’s especially a tale for children. Gaiman’s remarkable cemetery is a place that children more than anyone would want to visit. They would certainly want to look for Silas in his chapel, maybe climb down (if they were as brave as Bod) to the oldest burial chamber, or (if they were as reckless) search for the ghoul gate. Children will appreciate Bod’s occasional mistakes and bad manners, and relish his good acts and eventual great ones. The story’s language and humor are sophisticated, but Gaiman respects his readers and trusts them to understand.

Neil Gaimanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Over the stones
It's only a pauper
Who nobody owns

-- Traditional Nursery Rhyme
There was a hand in the darkness, and it held a knife.
Fortinbras Bartleby, ten years old when he had died (of consumption, he had told Bod, who had mistakenly believed for several years that Fortinbras had been eaten by lions or bears, and was extremely disappointed to learn it was merely a disease), now apologized to Bod.
“You’re always you, and that doesn’t change, and you’re always changing, and there’s nothing you can do about it.”
Nehemiah Trot said, “Ah, list to me, young Leander, young Hero, young Alexander. If you dare nothing, then when the day is over, nothing is all you will have gained.”
“And for that reason, if for no other, it is vital that the child be raised with as little disruption as possible to the, if you’ll forgive the expression, the life of the graveyard.”
"It's like the people who believe they'll be happy if they go and live somewhere else, but who learn it doesn't work that way. Wherever you go, you take yourself with you." p. 104
This is the original prose book. Please don't combine it with any other format (Graphic novel, movie, etc).

Nobody Owens lost his "really" family when he was infant and became adopted by a ghost family in his local cemetery. Aside from having ghosts for parents and guardians he also persued by the mysterious man who killed his family.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,931,616 books! | Top bar: Always visible