Gil's All Fright Diner by A. Lee Martinez

Gil's All Fright Diner (2005)

by A. Lee Martinez

Hired by the owner of an all night diner to eliminate the zombie problem that is costing her customers, werewolf Duke and vampire Earl tackle an even stickier adversary who is out to take over the diner. Bloodier than Fried Green Tomatoes, funnier than the Texas Chainsaw Massacre! Welcome to Gil's all Night Diner, where zombie attacks are a regular occurrence and you never know what might be lurking in the freezer. Duke and Earl are just passing through Rockwood County in their pick-up truck when they stop at the diner for a quick bite to eat. They aren't planning to stick around until Loretta, the eatery's owner, offers them $100 to take care of her zombie problem. Given that Duke is a werewolf and Earl's a vampire, this looks right up their alley, but the shambling dead are just the tip of a particularly spiky iceberg. Seems someone's out to drive Loretta from the diner, and more than willing to raise a little hell on earth if that's what it takes. Before Duke and Earl get to the bottom of the diner's troubles, they'll run into such otherworldly complications as undead cattle, an amorous ghost, a jailbait sorceress, and the terrifying occult power of pig Latin, and maybe, just maybe, the end of the world, too. Gory, sexy, and flat out hilarious, Gil's all Fright Diner will tickle your funny bone before ripping it out of its socket.… (more)
Recently added bysterlingfink, private library, fortheloveof4, Jabbro, larryz223

English (54)  Italian (1)  German (1)  All languages (56)
Earl and Duke, a redneck vampire and werewolf duo, pull into a diner on a dusty desert road and find themselves in the middle of strange doings involving zombies, ghosts, and apocalypse-craving elder gods.

This is very much a horror-comedy, something I love when it's done right, but which can be difficult to pull off. I'm not sure this one quite hits the sweet spot between the two genres consistently. Certainly not as well as the same author did in blending pulp SF and noir detective genres in The Automatic Detective, which I thoroughly enjoyed. The humor is sometimes funny and clever, and sometimes just kind of silly. The horror isn't necessarily scary, but it does do a nice job of putting its own stamp on some familiar tropes (although I could have done without the evil sexy teenage sexpot who manipulates people with sex), and there are some very well-done cinematic-feeling descriptions of monsters and supernatural happenings.

Really, it's mostly just trying to be fun, and while it's not perfect, it succeeds reasonably well. Not a must-read for comedy-horror fans, but not a disappointment, either. If there was a sequel -- and the ending, while it's definitely an ending, is certainly left open for one -- I would probably read it. ( )
  bragan | Sep 2, 2018 |
This book was not at all what I expected it to be. Somehow I had gained the impression that it was a YA book, which it certainly was not. Several f-bombs and underage sex within the first fifty pages destroyed that impression. A few reviewers previously placed it under YA so.. that should be fixed.

All of that aside, this book was genuinely cool. A throwback to the old Lovecraftian horror mixed with some funky present day Texas wit. The book was refreshing in terms of what modern "horror" can offer. Creepy bits mixed with heavy humor, a bit of turning the genre around while maintaining a good view of what it was.. I liked it, it was a good read. Earl and Duke were both great characters. ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
Great for anyone who's a fan of the funny Supernatural or X-Files episodes! ( )
  kayceel | Apr 30, 2018 |
Totally absurd-loved it. Great book to read when you need pure entertainment. ( )
  gossamerchild88 | Mar 30, 2018 |
If you like Christopher Moore's work you'll like this. Very similar style in my opinion. ( )
  Verkruissen | Jul 8, 2017 |
This book is dedicated to the following people in the order of importance: To Me, because I wrote it. To Mom, without whom I probably wouldn't have. To the men and women of the DFW Writer's Workshop. Their wise advice made this book better, although I'll later deny I ever said anything of the sort and claim this part of the dedication is a typo. And to Don "The Dragon" Wilson.
In the middle of nowhere, along a quiet stretch of road, the diner dreamt of the hungry dead. And of two men. Well, not men exactly.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,115,227 books! | Top bar: Always visible