The Wolves in the Walls (2003)

by Neil Gaiman

Lucy is sure there are wolves living in the walls of her house, although others in her family disagree, and when the wolves come out, the adventure begins.

English (66)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (67)
In the very best possible way, "What the actual hell did I just read?"

Yeah, it was that good. ( )
  wetdryvac | Mar 2, 2021 |
I absolutely love the story and the pictures, but it's not for everyone, as a more sensitive child could develop a fear that there really are wolves in the walls.
Adults and teens will enjoy the subtle (and sometimes not so subtle) humor.
The artwork is frenetic (for my taste) but suits the story.

Read originally while children's librarian in 2003 for Halloween program. ( )
  librisissimo | Feb 6, 2021 |
This is a great story about parents not listening to their daughter and said daughter saving their home. It also has wolves...in the walls! It comes with a CD of Gaiman reading the story aloud, which I haven't heard yet...but if the readings from The Ocean at the End of the Lane I heard him give last week are anything to go by, it should be excellent. It is just the kind of story that should be read aloud, too, full of the rhythms and repeated refrains that fit with oral story telling.

McKean's illustrations are not readily described, which is a good thing because that means they are not cliched or boring. They seem to be some kind of digital fusion of photographic and painted elements that create a sort of collage effect I've not really seen before. They are very evocative of mood and are just as excellent as the story, which makes a doubly excellent book, overall.

Great stuff. ( )
  Arbieroo | Jul 17, 2020 |
I read this for the "A Book With The Letter W In The Title" part of my 2020 reading challenge. It was really unique, I liked how the parents were so accepting that they didn't live there anymore. ( )
  Linyarai | Feb 16, 2020 |
Short and intriguing, with some scary and engaging moments, as with most of Neil Gaiman's stories, there's a good element of suspense, but ultimately it's more whimsy than anything else. A fun little book. ( )
  Pepperwings | Jul 1, 2019 |

Neil Gaimanprimary authorall editionscalculated
McKean, DaveIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lucy walked around the house.

AR 3.9, Pts 0.5

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,445,925 books! | Top bar: Always visible