SantaThing sign up ends in 5 minutes (23:00 GMT) » Find out more about our bookish Secret Santa!

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by…

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (2003)

by J. K. Rowling

Series: Harry Potter (5), Harry Potter (Book 5)

72,2686302 (4.27)10 / 843

English (600)  German (7)  French (5)  Italian (4)  Dutch (4)  Spanish (3)  Swedish (2)  Latvian (1)  Korean (1)  Portuguese (1)  English (1)  Finnish (1)  Danish (1)  English (631)
My least favorite in the series - too drawn out in places and Harry's angst starts becoming contagious after awhile. However, I must point out that how I felt while ready must have mirrored Harry's emotions and that makes Rowling a true artist. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Nov 19, 2016 |
Summary: When the government of the magic world and authorities at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry refuse to believe in the growing threat of a freshly revived Lord Voldemort, fifteen-year-old Harry Potter finds support from his loyal friends in facing the evil wizard and other new terrors. Harry Potter is furious that he is stuck at the Dursleys' house for the summer, when he suspects that Voldemort is gathering an army, and the wizarding authorities seem unwilling to do anything. Harry's so-called friends are trying to keep him in the dark. But he knows that Voldemort's forces can find him wherever he is; he could be attacked at any moment. Harry is finally rescued from Privet Drive by members of the Order of the Phoenix - a secret society first formed years ago to fight Voldemort - and discovers that maybe he is not alone in this battle after all." Fabulous! ( )
  DebbieMcCauley | Nov 7, 2016 |
First read: mid 2000s
Reread: January 2016 ( )
  leahlo89 | Nov 2, 2016 |
In the past, this book has always been my favorite, and it's usually my go-to book when I want to randomly re-read part of the series.

I still really enjoyed this one, but upon this re-reading, I understand why others hate this book, calling it dark, dreary, depressing.

Harry is both very whiny and very angry throughout this book, and I honestly don't like him very much. I still LOVE him, but I don't like him very much (don't tell me you've never felt that way about your partner or a parent!) Especially the bit at the end where he's so obsessed with saving Sirius, seriously, he's a KID on how EARTH is he going to save him? And then letting all the others join him in saving Sirius and then getting upset when they get injured, come on? What did you THINK was going to happen? Idiots!!

Of course, all of this happens in the book for a reason, as we soon find out in the following two books, but it just drove me nuts reading it. And Harry being so upset to find out his father isn't perfect and that Snape was really correct in calling his father arrogant; why was that such a surprise? It's been hinted at all along throughout all of the books, Harry IS arrogant himself, where did he think that arrogance came from? Of course it's easy for me to knit pick Harry's actions through out the books; if it had been me, I would've hid in the attic cowering with fear, so who am I to talk?

I was a little surprised that the DA parts wasn't MORE; I remember it seemed like most of the book was about the DA. I think I'm getting my movie & my book version a bit mixed up about the DA. ( )
  anastaciaknits | Oct 29, 2016 |
I found this installment of the series to be somewhat more of a drag then the previous Goblet of Fire, which so far is my favorite. There were components that frustrated me. Primarily Harry's attitude for the majority of the novel. There is an element of age, in that he is only 15 years old in the book, and most 15 year olds are moody brats, so I suppose that fits. However, given all that he has gone through in the last five years of the story, it felt a little out of place for me. This drastic change of character was jarring, and to me, distracted from the story. He was nasty to pretty much everyone, including the people who have been his allies from day one. It just left a sour taste in my mouth for him. I wanted to smack him, pretty much every time he opened his mouth, or didn't.
There were other, less than thought out aspects as well. For example, Dumbledore choosing Snape to teach Harry Occulemency. Regardless of whether Snape is good or bad (which I still cannot decide), Dumbledore is no fool, and he has to be aware of how horribly Snape treats Potter and that he is constantly harassing him and failing to properly teach him in his potions class. There is just no way, fitting in with the character Rowling has created in Dumbledore, that he would choose Snape to teach Harry the tool. Why not choose McGonnagel? It just felt a bit sloppy of a choice in my opinion.
Still, the book moved the story along, and there were other elements that were great. The final battle scene was epic in scale, and heartwrenching in conclusion. Dumbledore is as always, brilliant! Though I do wish he had been a bigger part of the story. He was absent through most of it, which is explained at the end, but it didn't make me miss him any less. I have no problem saying that I am absolutely in love with him by this point.
The book left me wanting to see so much more of certain characters, specifically Neville, Ginny and Luna. I found these three so intriguing and wished they had been spotlighted more in the book. It was a nice break to have supporting roles other then Ron and Hermione. I can only hope those three have more of a role in the next two books, as they were great additions to the cast!
JK Rowling did the best job, I feel, however with Umbridge. This character made me so angry and filled me with so much rage, I found myself shaking visibly at times. This is a hard feat to do with a fictional character, which only makes me love Rowling as an author more. How she was able to make me hate someone so much, speaks volumes of her abilities as a writer. I almost detest Umbridge more then I detest Voldemort...yeah I said his name! I'm not scared!
Overall I felt the book dragged a little too much. I understand the need to set up the Order and put us on track for the next war, however after how the last book progressed and ended and this one started, I was hoping it would race along, but sort of fell flat in that area for me. There was a lot of sulking teenage angst, and less action than I would have liked.
Still, a solid addition to the series. I'm hooked for sure, and cannot wait to find out how this all plays out! ( )
  Kiddboyblue | Oct 27, 2016 |
But tally the book’s strengths and weaknesses as you may, the fact remains that Rowling has once again created a fully-fledged world, and for the experience of being there with Harry, HP5 can’t be beat.

''Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix'' is rich and satisfying in almost every respect.

A considerably darker, more psychological book than its predecessors, "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" occupies the same emotional and storytelling place in the Potter series as "The Empire Strikes Back" held in the first "Star Wars" trilogy. It provides a sort of fulcrum for the series, marking Harry's emergence from boyhood, and his newfound knowledge that an ancient prophecy holds the secret to Voldemort's obsession with him and his family.

Las tediosas vacaciones de verano en casa de sus tíos todavía no han acabado y Harry se encuentra más inquieto que nunca. Apenas ha tenido noticias de Ron y Hermione, y presiente que algo extraño está sucediendo en Hogwarts. En efecto, cuando por fin comienza otro curso en el famoso colegio de magia y hechicería, sus temores se vuelven realidad. El Ministerio de Magia niega que Voldemort haya regresado y ha iniciado una campaña de desprestigio contra Harry y Dumbledore, para lo cual ha asignado a la horrible profesora Dolores Umbridge la tarea de vigilar todos sus movimientos. Así pues, además de sentirse solo e incomprendido, Harry sospecha que Voldemort puede adivinar sus pensamientos, e intuye que el temible mago trata de apoderarse de un objeto secreto que le permitiría recuperar su poder destructivo.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

Kibuishi, KazuCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Masini, BeatriceTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ragusa, AngelaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Neil, Jessica, and David,
who make my world magical.
The hottest day of the summer so far was drawing to a close and a drowsy silence lay over the large, square houses of Privet Drive.
'You two have just apparated on my knees.' - Ron Weasley

As his fifth year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry approaches, 15-year-old Harry Potter is in full-blown adolescence, complete with regular outbursts of rage, a nearly debilitating crush, and the blooming of a powerful sense of rebellion. Harry is feeling especially edgy at the lack of news from the magic world, wondering when the freshly revived evil Lord Voldemort will strike. Returning to Hogwarts will be a relief...or will it?
New teacher is a
psychopath. Don’t believe me?
Then talk to the hand!
(CathWhitney)
Evil just got a
makeover. Pink has never
been so menacing.
(CathWhitney)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0439358078, Paperback)

As his fifth year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry approaches, 15-year-old Harry Potter is in full-blown adolescence, complete with regular outbursts of rage, a nearly debilitating crush, and the blooming of a powerful sense of rebellion. It's been yet another infuriating and boring summer with the despicable Dursleys, this time with minimal contact from our hero's non-Muggle friends from school. Harry is feeling especially edgy at the lack of news from the magic world, wondering when the freshly revived evil Lord Voldemort will strike. Returning to Hogwarts will be a relief... or will it?

The fifth book in J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter series follows the darkest year yet for our young wizard, who finds himself knocked down a peg or three after the events of last year. Somehow, over the summer, gossip (usually traced back to the magic world's newspaper, the Daily Prophet) has turned Harry's tragic and heroic encounter with Voldemort at the Triwizard Tournament into an excuse to ridicule and discount the teen. Even Professor Dumbledore, headmaster of the school, has come under scrutiny by the Ministry of Magic, which refuses to officially acknowledge the terrifying truth that Voldemort is back. Enter a particularly loathsome new character: the toadlike and simpering ("hem, hem") Dolores Umbridge, senior undersecretary to the Minister of Magic, who takes over the vacant position of Defense Against Dark Arts teacher--and in no time manages to become the High Inquisitor of Hogwarts, as well. Life isn't getting any easier for Harry Potter. With an overwhelming course load as the fifth years prepare for their Ordinary Wizarding Levels examinations (O.W.Ls), devastating changes in the Gryffindor Quidditch team lineup, vivid dreams about long hallways and closed doors, and increasing pain in his lightning-shaped scar, Harry's resilience is sorely tested.

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, more than any of the four previous novels in the series, is a coming-of-age story. Harry faces the thorny transition into adulthood, when adult heroes are revealed to be fallible, and matters that seemed black-and-white suddenly come out in shades of gray. Gone is the wide-eyed innocent, the whiz kid of Sorcerer's Stone. Here we have an adolescent who's sometimes sullen, often confused (especially about girls), and always self-questioning. Confronting death again, as well as a startling prophecy, Harry ends his year at Hogwarts exhausted and pensive. Readers, on the other hand, will be energized as they enter yet again the long waiting period for the next title in the marvelous, magical series. (Ages 9 and older) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:37 -0400)

Harry Potter, now a fifth-year student at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, struggles with a threatening teacher, a problematic house elf, the dread of upcoming final exams, and haunting dreams that hint toward his mysterious past.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 1405321520, 1405903376

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,654,178 books! | Top bar: Always visible