Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by…

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (2003)

by J. K. Rowling

Series: Harry Potter (5)

68,9255742 (4.26)10 / 779

English (547)  German (7)  French (5)  Italian (4)  Spanish (2)  Swedish (2)  Dutch (2)  Korean (1)  Latvian (1)  Portuguese (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Finnish (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (575)
A really good read! ( )
  AR_bookbird | Nov 20, 2015 |
Wonderful series that teaches courage and bravery in order to save the innocent. ( )
  Blaire_Stewart | Nov 16, 2015 |
I decided to do a re-read of these books this year because it has been a pretty hard one and Harry Potter has been my comfort read since I was in middle school. Again, even after reading this book a hundred times it still has the power to affect me. I love this book, I feel that this book so full of plot and essential information. The 4th book is when the more adult story lines pick up but in this book we are starting to get a feel for the end and it makes me both happy and sad.

I usually cry when I read this book because of the ending but...I did not this time. That is ok, I have read it a million times, as I said. I can't really add anymore, I love this book and you have read it you know what I mean, and if you haven't (you should) you won't. ( )
  mojo09226 | Nov 12, 2015 |
At the beginning of Harry Potter, book five, The Order of The Phoenix Harry was once again at the Privet Drive with the Dursley's as miserable as ever. And Harry went on walks a lot to get away from them at night. One night when he was heading back home from the park he ran into his cousin Dudley and they were attacked by dementors and Harry saved his cousins life and his own. When they got back to the house the Ministry of Magic sent some letters saying that they were going to snap his wand in half for under aged magic outside of school and this made lots of people upset. Luckily before they did that a group of wizards called the Order of the Phoenix came and took him to their headquarters in Sirius's house where the Weasley family and Hermione were waiting. Harry was put on trial where Dumbledore defended him and won. Once the summer was over they went back to Hogwarts and the new Defense Against the Arts teacher was a lady from the Ministry named Professor Umbridge who was a very mean lady. She fallowed all the Ministry's rules and therefore made them read how to do the magic but not teacher it and also hated Harry like most of the students at the school. Everyone hated Harry because at the end of the last book he watched Voldemort return and the Ministry refused to believe him for he was the only one who said he witnessed it so why would they believe some child. There were a select few who trusted him and who trusted Dumbledore who believes Harry. So Hermione and Ron came up with an idea for Harry to teach Defense Against the Arts to some students who wanted to be able to defend themselves from Voldemort. It was a secret after hours class in the room of requirements called the D.A. short for Dumbledore's Army. This class went well and lasted a while but unfortunately Professor Umbridge forbid any clubs or teams unless she approved it. One member of the D.A, snitched and told Professor Umbridge who captured the Harry running back to the Gryffindor Tower so he wouldn't get caught. When the girl gave away the name of the group what it meant Dumbledore took responds ability for the illegal group and when they tried to arrest him he disappeared and went into hiding. The Ministry appointed Umbridge as head Mistress and continued her ran of terror on the school.
Now school was terrible, everyone hated Harry still and Harry kept having visions in his dreams and couldn’t stop the pain in his scar. He had nightmares every day and he could feel and see what Voldemort could. At one point he saw Ron’s dad in danger and told some members of the Order who saved his life thanks to Harry. He was supposed to try and get rid of these visions because they could be bad but no one told him why.
Then he had another vision, it was the same he had had for a long time but it finally ended and in the room he had been dreaming about there was Sirius, his godfather, in danger being kept by Voldemort in the Ministry, when Harry and some of the old D.A. members got to the ministry they found out it was a trap and that Voldemort wanted a prophecy that no one but Harry or Voldemort could touch. When Harry picked up the prophecy tons of Death Eaters appeared out of the darkness and tried to get him to hand over the prophecy safely to their master but Harry wouldn’t hand it over. They were cornered and they eventually got out by knocking over the shelves that held all the prophecies that have been made. They ran out but got lost and separated in the Ministry while fighting Death Eaters. At one point Harry found a room he saw when he entered the ministry where the Order of the Phoenix were fight off Death Eaters. At one point Neville had the prophecy and dropped it but it wasn’t a big deal. As Harry looked across the room he saw Bellatrix fighting Sirius. Bellatrix hit Sirius square in the chest and he fell into a veiled arch and never returned, he was dead.
Harry was still in shock and as mad as ever continued to fight. Harry fought Bellatrix with all he had left in him. When Bellatrix found out the Prophecy was gone she became scared and Harry’s scar was in so much pain he could barely see. Then Voldemort appeared. When Voldemort send an unforgivable spell at him Dumbledore appeared and saved his life. Dumbledore and Voldemort dueled and dueled but before anyone won Voldemort disappeared. Voldemort put himself into Harry’s body said some words and disappeared again. Now the Ministry saw it and they knew what had happened. That all along Harry was right and they should have listened, but no matter what Sirius was still dead. ( )
  tessal.b1 | Oct 24, 2015 |
Here we go! Here we go! Here we go!

Rowling kicks into overdrive with HP5; moody, creepy, violent (and I'm just talking about Harry here!-wink)..

Some folks didn't get that HP5 was the set-up-- think of 5, 6 and 7 as either ONE BIG NOVEL, or a tightly woven trilogy at the end of a loosely associated quartet.

Yep, HP5 rocked, and may that's me too. maybe I just dig all the angst and drama. Sure Harry bothered me often--but I was 15 once and I'm sure I was a whiny pain in the arse... ( )
  VladVerano | Oct 20, 2015 |
But tally the book’s strengths and weaknesses as you may, the fact remains that Rowling has once again created a fully-fledged world, and for the experience of being there with Harry, HP5 can’t be beat.
''Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix'' is rich and satisfying in almost every respect.
A considerably darker, more psychological book than its predecessors, "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" occupies the same emotional and storytelling place in the Potter series as "The Empire Strikes Back" held in the first "Star Wars" trilogy. It provides a sort of fulcrum for the series, marking Harry's emergence from boyhood, and his newfound knowledge that an ancient prophecy holds the secret to Voldemort's obsession with him and his family.
Las tediosas vacaciones de verano en casa de sus tíos todavía no han acabado y Harry se encuentra más inquieto que nunca. Apenas ha tenido noticias de Ron y Hermione, y presiente que algo extraño está sucediendo en Hogwarts. En efecto, cuando por fin comienza otro curso en el famoso colegio de magia y hechicería, sus temores se vuelven realidad. El Ministerio de Magia niega que Voldemort haya regresado y ha iniciado una campaña de desprestigio contra Harry y Dumbledore, para lo cual ha asignado a la horrible profesora Dolores Umbridge la tarea de vigilar todos sus movimientos. Así pues, además de sentirse solo e incomprendido, Harry sospecha que Voldemort puede adivinar sus pensamientos, e intuye que el temible mago trata de apoderarse de un objeto secreto que le permitiría recuperar su poder destructivo.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

Kibuishi, KazuCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Masini, BeatriceTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ragusa, AngelaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Neil, Jessica, and David,
who make my world magical.
The hottest day of the summer so far was drawing to a close and a drowsy silence lay over the large, square houses of Privet Drive.
'You two have just apparated on my knees.' - Ron Weasley
As his fifth year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry approaches, 15-year-old Harry Potter is in full-blown adolescence, complete with regular outbursts of rage, a nearly debilitating crush, and the blooming of a powerful sense of rebellion. Harry is feeling especially edgy at the lack of news from the magic world, wondering when the freshly revived evil Lord Voldemort will strike. Returning to Hogwarts will be a relief...or will it?

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0439358078, Paperback)

As his fifth year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry approaches, 15-year-old Harry Potter is in full-blown adolescence, complete with regular outbursts of rage, a nearly debilitating crush, and the blooming of a powerful sense of rebellion. It's been yet another infuriating and boring summer with the despicable Dursleys, this time with minimal contact from our hero's non-Muggle friends from school. Harry is feeling especially edgy at the lack of news from the magic world, wondering when the freshly revived evil Lord Voldemort will strike. Returning to Hogwarts will be a relief... or will it?

The fifth book in J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter series follows the darkest year yet for our young wizard, who finds himself knocked down a peg or three after the events of last year. Somehow, over the summer, gossip (usually traced back to the magic world's newspaper, the Daily Prophet) has turned Harry's tragic and heroic encounter with Voldemort at the Triwizard Tournament into an excuse to ridicule and discount the teen. Even Professor Dumbledore, headmaster of the school, has come under scrutiny by the Ministry of Magic, which refuses to officially acknowledge the terrifying truth that Voldemort is back. Enter a particularly loathsome new character: the toadlike and simpering ("hem, hem") Dolores Umbridge, senior undersecretary to the Minister of Magic, who takes over the vacant position of Defense Against Dark Arts teacher--and in no time manages to become the High Inquisitor of Hogwarts, as well. Life isn't getting any easier for Harry Potter. With an overwhelming course load as the fifth years prepare for their Ordinary Wizarding Levels examinations (O.W.Ls), devastating changes in the Gryffindor Quidditch team lineup, vivid dreams about long hallways and closed doors, and increasing pain in his lightning-shaped scar, Harry's resilience is sorely tested.

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, more than any of the four previous novels in the series, is a coming-of-age story. Harry faces the thorny transition into adulthood, when adult heroes are revealed to be fallible, and matters that seemed black-and-white suddenly come out in shades of gray. Gone is the wide-eyed innocent, the whiz kid of Sorcerer's Stone. Here we have an adolescent who's sometimes sullen, often confused (especially about girls), and always self-questioning. Confronting death again, as well as a startling prophecy, Harry ends his year at Hogwarts exhausted and pensive. Readers, on the other hand, will be energized as they enter yet again the long waiting period for the next title in the marvelous, magical series. (Ages 9 and older) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:37 -0400)

Harry is in his fifth year at Hogwarts as the adventures continue.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 1405321520, 1405903376

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,964,093 books! | Top bar: Always visible