The Titan's Curse

by Rick Riordan

Series: Percy Jackson and the Olympians (3), Camp Half-Blood (3), Riordan's Demi-Gods (1.3)

When the goddess Artemis disappears while hunting a rare, ancient monster, a group of her followers joins Percy and his friends in an attempt to find and rescue her before the winter solstice, when her influence is needed to sway the Olympian Council regarding the war with the Titans.

It's not everyday you find yourself in combat with a half-lion, half-human.

But when you're the son of a Greek god, it happens. And now my friend Annabeth is missing, a goddess is in chains and only five half-blood heroes can join the quest to defeat the doomsday monster.

Oh, and guess what? The Oracle has predicted that not all of us will survive... ( )
  rachelprice14 | Nov 14, 2022 |
Book 3 of 5 in the epic series- Percy Jackson and the Olympians! https://www.librarything.com/work/173670/reviews/227985709 ( )
  am08279 | Oct 24, 2022 |
Read Mythos between books 2 and 3 and had a lot of fun picking up on little Greek Easter eggs scattered through out the book. ( )
  saimaus | Oct 12, 2022 |
It's winter break and an urgent message from Grover sends Percy and his friends running to the satyr's aid. Naturally, things go awry, resulting in a mission to recover Annabeth and the goddess Artemis, both of whom have gone missing. On this journey, Percy uncovers revelations about the ancient power that is threatening Camp Half-Blood and Mount Olympus.

The plot of this third volume of the Percy Jackson series is virtually identical to the first two-- someone close to Percy goes missing and he goes on a quest to rescue them. As Percy travels west with his companions to rescue Annabeth and Artemis, he encounters various enemies, mythological creatures, and gods and goddesses. The story zips along quickly, glossing over many details (how can Grover control power lines with his reed pipes?), with not enough time spent on even the very emotional moments (the fate of certain characters), all the while accompanied by Riordan's familiar cheesy style of humour.

Still, The Titan's Curse introduces a few surprising twists which really changes the situation for Percy and the others, and by the end of the book, the overarching storyline has really picked up. The threat of danger from Kronos, the main antagonist, feels a lot more immediate and real, and I get the sense that the storyline is shifting away from these episodic missions and will start to deal with the greater questions of war between Olympus and Kronos, with the prophecy of the half-blood child of one of the big three gods, and Percy's role and ultimate fate in all this.

As the Percy Jackson universe expands wih these plot developments, a whole slew of new characters were introduced, both divine and human. I enjoyed meeting the goddess of the hunt, Artemis, and her irreverent, haiku-loving twin Apollo. I also love the idea that Aphrodite, goddess of love and beauty, didn't really have a distinct face. After a meeting with her, you can only remember that you saw the absolute most beautiful woman, but you can't remember what she actually looked like. Of the new half-bloods, I really only took to Nico-- it's really cute how he asks so many questions and I loved the fact that he geeks out over his games! It seems like he has an important roles to play in the rest of the series, so I will be looking forward to any scene he is in.

(Also, can I add that I really like how Riordan is developing the relationship between Percy and Annabeth? They are incredibly adorable and I also think it's hilarious that Aphrodite seems to ship them as well. I also like how Riordan actually tries to explore Percy's emotions more in this book-- perhaps a sign that Percy is slowly maturing.)

There were a lot of things going on in this book, and occasionally things felt a bit disjointed-- the quick switch from scene to scene, even after emotional moments, was kind of jarring. But it's clear that with this book, Rick Riordan was busy setting up all of the pieces, arranging them in the right places, in preparation for what I hope will be an exciting climax for the series. ( )
  serru | Oct 6, 2022 |
i luhhh this book. it was super good. definitely a step up from the sea of monsters. i’m obsessed w all the female characters in this one and i love the hunters of artemis soo much. vibed w this one

i am going to go FERAL because we get percabeth in the next one. i am not responsible for the person i become ( )
  maryobrien | Oct 3, 2022 |
So it's funny, but it's also very exciting, with the gods behaving in that disgraceful and unpredictable way that gods do. Then there are the really bad guys. If you're familiar with these ancient characters, you'll be impressed by how Riordan handles them. If they're new to you, it's a gripping introduction.

Readers who are familiar with ancient mythology will enjoy Riordan's tongue-in-cheek approach; those who aren't just might be tempted to go to the original sources to learn more.

Riordan, Rickprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bernstein, JesseNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Topher Bradfield

A camper who has made a world of difference
The Friday before winter break, my mom packed me an overnight bag and a few deadly weapons and took me to a new boarding school.
This LT work is the third volume (of five) in Rick Riordan's series, Percy Jackson and the Olympians. Please do not combine it with any other individual title or collection of titles from the series. Thank you.

When Percy Jackson receives an urgent distress call from his friend Grover, he immediately prepares for battle. He knows he'll need his powerful demigod allies, Annabeth and Thalia, at his side; his trusty bronze sword, Riptide; and ... a ride from his mom.

The demigods race to the rescue, to find that Grover has made an important discovery: two new powerful half-bloods whose parentage is unknown. But that's not all that awaits them. The Titan lord, Kronos, has set up his most devious trap yet, and the young heroes have just fallen prey.

Hilarious and action-packed, this third adventure in the series finds Percy faced with his most dangerous challenge so far: the chilling prophecy of the Titan's curse.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 179,853,401 books! | Top bar: Always visible