Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (1999)

by J. K. Rowling

Series: Harry Potter (3)

90,0728813 (4.4)9 / 889
During his third year at Hogwarts School for Witchcraft and Wizardry, Harry Potter must confront the devious and dangerous wizard responsible for his parents' deaths.
1990s (21)
Elevenses (126)
Ghosts (108)
books (1)

English (820)  Dutch (11)  German (8)  Spanish (7)  French (7)  Italian (4)  Swedish (4)  Portuguese (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Finnish (2)  Lithuanian (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (869)
I’m pretty sure this is the book that truly started my HP obsession, although GoF is still my fave. The last quarter of this book has some of the best action and drama and adventure anywhere, although whenever I reread I think of different things that could have been done. I love that Oliver Wood finally got his Quidditch Cup, and I love that we started really flirting with darkness here as it’s going to get worse as we go on. Also as many a R/S shipper said in ye olde internet days, “embraced Black like a brother” my ass; damn I miss some of the best lost fanfics.
  spinsterrevival | May 6, 2021 |
¿Qué tiene este libro? Es el que menos me gustó de la saga. Al igual que la película. ( )
  ItsAkirex | May 6, 2021 |
The second worst harry potter book. ( )
  Rachel_Cucinella | Apr 24, 2021 |
Easily my favorite of the series thus far during my reread. This book is the one that really makes me want to make a Harry Potter TV series. Just think of the way you can entangle flashbacks with the Marauders into the ongoing main plot. Two dual stories about friendships being tested, all crashing together in the climax of the story where a traitor is discovered. ( )
  thoroughlyme | Apr 23, 2021 |
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban has been my favorite book in middle school, and remains my favorite Harry Potter book. It's the first time I've read it in English and the first time I've re-read it since finishing the series (back when the final book came out).
This, combined with the fact I'm now much older and (haha)wiser, makes my reading experience... different and yet the same. I still loved it, but knowing what I do now about the ending, it feels different.
  NannyOgg13 | Mar 27, 2021 |
All current reviews of Harry Potter books should probably be addressed to some future audience for whom Harry is book rather than phenomenon; at the moment, reviews seem superfluous. For the record, then, O future reader, this latest installment in Harry’s saga is quite a good book.

So far, in terms of plot, the books do nothing very new, but they do it brilliantly

Igual que en las dos primeras partes de la serie –La piedra filosofal y La cámara secreta– Harry aguarda con impaciencia el inicio del tercer curso en el Colegio Hogwarts de Magia y Hechicería. Tras haber cumplido los trece años, solo y lejos de sus amigos de Hogwarts, Harry se pelea con su bigotuda tía Marge, a la que convierte en globo, y debe huir en un autobús mágico. Mientras tanto, de la prisión de Azkaban se ha escapado un terrible villano, Sirius Black, un asesino en serie con poderes mágicos que fue cómplice de lord Voldemort y que parece dispuesto a eliminar a Harry del mapa. Y por si esto fuera poco, Harry deberá enfrentarse también a unos terribles monstruos, los dementores, seres abominables capaces de robarles la felicidad a los magos y de borrar todo recuerdo hermoso de aquellos que osan mirarlos. Lo que ninguno de estos malvados personajes sabe es que Harry, con la ayuda de sus fieles amigos Ron y Hermione, es capaz de todo y mucho más.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

To Jill Prewett and Aine Kiely,
the Godmothers of Swing
J.K. Rowling
For Tony and Jo
with thanks for being such wonderful friends
Jim Kay
Harry Potter was a highly unusual boy in many ways.

The Wizarding world is shocked to hear a mass Murderer has escaped from the prison they call Azkaban. Sirius Black is said to have murdered countless muggles (non magic folk) and parents are locking up their children. Harry Potter has started school and is going on his first trip to Hogs Mead when by shear luck he overhears the Miniter for Magic wisper his name. Harry Follows him using his invisibility cloak and discovers why Mr Weasley warned him about Black personally before school had started. Sirius Black had been a friend of his Parents, was the one who sold them out to Voldemort and worst of all he was and still is to this day Harry's God Father. Harry knows thats why Sirius has escaped, he knows he's coming for him and he can't wait because when he finds him, Harry will be ready.......Full of death and Suspense, this book is defiantly the darkest yet and shows that Magic isn't just cool tricks and bright lights.

AR Level 6.7, 18 pts
Dvanaest dugih godina tvrđava Askaban skrivala je među svojim zidinama tajanstvenog zatvorenika po imenu Sirijus Blek. Optužen da je ubio trinaestoro ljudi bacivši na njih kletvu i za njega se smatra da je neposredni naslednik gospodara tame, lorda Voldemora.
Sada je pobegao i živi tamo gde može da bude glavni: kada je Hari Poter porazio Znate-već-koga to je bio i pad Bleka. Čuvari tvrđave Askaban čuli su kako Blek mrmlja u snu: "On je u Hogvortsu, on je u Hogvortsu..." Hari Poter nije bezbedan čak ni u čarobnjačkoj školi gde je okružen svojim prijateljima zato što se sumnja da je među njima izdajnik...
Made a mistake by

establishing time travel.

Will fix in book five.

(CathWhitney)
First teacher I like

turns out to be a monster.

Cannot catch a break.

(CathWhitney)
Sybil Trelawny
was right. The grim in Harry's
cup WAS Sirius.
(TheLittlePhrase)

Current discussions

Harry Potter and the Re/Read of The Prisoner of Azkaban in 75 Books Challenge for 2014

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,893,729 books! | Top bar: Always visible