dismiss

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by…

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (1999)

by J. K. Rowling

Series: Harry Potter (3)

86,2748313 (4.4)9 / 868
During his third year at Hogwarts School for Witchcraft and Wizardry, Harry Potter must confront the devious and dangerous wizard responsible for his parents' deaths.
Recently added byeasymac, private library, JessicaCroy, KaralynGroesbeck, matiascirillo, rabidpencil, scducey
1990s (7)
Elevenses (122)
1990s (34)
Ghosts (95)
books (1)

English (780)  Dutch (11)  German (8)  Spanish (7)  French (7)  Italian (4)  Swedish (4)  Portuguese (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Finnish (2)  Lithuanian (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (829)
I finally finished re-reading this beast.

Even though many people love this book and say that it's their favorite one for me it fell flat. In my opinion it's the best book for Harry as a character - he meets Sirius and finally gets to learn DADA from a good person and teacher, wins quidditch cup. But from the readers point of view I feel like nothing happens. Maybe there is no tension because I already know the plot, but honestly it was so boring that I couldn't finish it in months.
Also even though Hermione is forever and always in my heart, in this one she was so annoying.
I think my past self would be pretty disappointed if she saw this review but what can I say? Hype is real. ( )
  Alevis | May 17, 2020 |
I’ve always been a big fan of this one for all the specific elements it has—Harry learning more about his past and the Marauders, the time travel climax do-over, the Patronus Charm lessons with Lupin, the Quidditch final, etc. I’m always a little disappointed that Harry Potter never lets a scene settle down and develop so that we could have a really meaningful emotional arc, but it’s still fun. There’s lots to love here, and of the first 3 it comes closest to being emotionally resonant for me. ( )
  peterbmacd | May 16, 2020 |
Despite it being very simple, the first Harry Potter book was fun to read because it was new. The second book, however, was also simple but no longer felt new. It was great that Prisoner of Azkaban set itself apart by bringing some more depth to the story. There are more characters to learn about that aren't so single-dimensional as in the past, and several uncertainties to resolve. I look forward to the next book more than I looked forward to Prisoner of Azkaban. ( )
  014 | May 4, 2020 |
Loved it ( )
  Linde1 | Apr 30, 2020 |
These illustrated versions are absolutely gorgeous. I love the different artwork. ( )
  BelindaS7 | Apr 14, 2020 |
All current reviews of Harry Potter books should probably be addressed to some future audience for whom Harry is book rather than phenomenon; at the moment, reviews seem superfluous. For the record, then, O future reader, this latest installment in Harry’s saga is quite a good book.

So far, in terms of plot, the books do nothing very new, but they do it brilliantly

Igual que en las dos primeras partes de la serie –La piedra filosofal y La cámara secreta– Harry aguarda con impaciencia el inicio del tercer curso en el Colegio Hogwarts de Magia y Hechicería. Tras haber cumplido los trece años, solo y lejos de sus amigos de Hogwarts, Harry se pelea con su bigotuda tía Marge, a la que convierte en globo, y debe huir en un autobús mágico. Mientras tanto, de la prisión de Azkaban se ha escapado un terrible villano, Sirius Black, un asesino en serie con poderes mágicos que fue cómplice de lord Voldemort y que parece dispuesto a eliminar a Harry del mapa. Y por si esto fuera poco, Harry deberá enfrentarse también a unos terribles monstruos, los dementores, seres abominables capaces de robarles la felicidad a los magos y de borrar todo recuerdo hermoso de aquellos que osan mirarlos. Lo que ninguno de estos malvados personajes sabe es que Harry, con la ayuda de sus fieles amigos Ron y Hermione, es capaz de todo y mucho más.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

To Jill Prewett and Aine Kiely,
the Godmothers of Swing
J.K. Rowling
For Tony and Jo
with thanks for being such wonderful friends
Jim Kay
Harry Potter was a highly unusual boy in many ways.

The Wizarding world is shocked to hear a mass Murderer has escaped from the prison they call Azkaban. Sirius Black is said to have murdered countless muggles (non magic folk) and parents are locking up their children. Harry Potter has started school and is going on his first trip to Hogs Mead when by shear luck he overhears the Miniter for Magic wisper his name. Harry Follows him using his invisibility cloak and discovers why Mr Weasley warned him about Black personally before school had started. Sirius Black had been a friend of his Parents, was the one who sold them out to Voldemort and worst of all he was and still is to this day Harry's God Father. Harry knows thats why Sirius has escaped, he knows he's coming for him and he can't wait because when he finds him, Harry will be ready.......Full of death and Suspense, this book is defiantly the darkest yet and shows that Magic isn't just cool tricks and bright lights.

AR Level 6.7, 18 pts
Dvanaest dugih godina tvrđava Askaban skrivala je među svojim zidinama tajanstvenog zatvorenika po imenu Sirijus Blek. Optužen da je ubio trinaestoro ljudi bacivši na njih kletvu i za njega se smatra da je neposredni naslednik gospodara tame, lorda Voldemora.
Sada je pobegao i živi tamo gde može da bude glavni: kada je Hari Poter porazio Znate-već-koga to je bio i pad Bleka. Čuvari tvrđave Askaban čuli su kako Blek mrmlja u snu: "On je u Hogvortsu, on je u Hogvortsu..." Hari Poter nije bezbedan čak ni u čarobnjačkoj školi gde je okružen svojim prijateljima zato što se sumnja da je među njima izdajnik...
Made a mistake by

establishing time travel.

Will fix in book five.

(CathWhitney)
First teacher I like

turns out to be a monster.

Cannot catch a break.

(CathWhitney)
Sybil Trelawny
was right. The grim in Harry's
cup WAS Sirius.
(TheLittlePhrase)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,281,831 books! | Top bar: Always visible