On the Jellicoe Road (2006)

by Melina Marchetta

1,9142086,461 (4.25)98
Abandoned by her drug-addicted mother at the age of eleven, high school student Taylor Markham struggles with her identity and family history at a boarding school in Australia.
    If I Stay by Gayle Forman (avalon_today)
    What I Was by Meg Rosoff (amz310783)
    Jasper Jones by Craig Silvey (bluenotebookonline)
    bluenotebookonline: Also Australian, also up for the Prinz, and also mesmerizing
    The Gorgon in the Gully by Melina Marchetta (Herenya)
    Herenya: This is the story of Jonah Griggs' 10 year old brother and is set during On the Jellicoe Road. It's also a lot of fun.
    To Jaykae: Life Stinx by Jean Davies Okimoto (thesundaybookreport)
    Looking for Alaska by John Green (thesundaybookreport)

English (205)  Swedish (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (207)
I could not get into this story.

If you enjoyed it, I am glad. Please continue to support this authors' works. ( )
  The_Literary_Jedi | Jun 11, 2021 |
I was incredibly sucked in to this book and reluctant to let go when it came to an end. It was almost a five star for me but at times I felt as if there were too many characters to keep track of and it took away from the story a little. Still a really good coming of age story and definitely a story that redefines family and reminds you that not everything is as it seems. ( )
  Stacie-C | May 8, 2021 |
Such a good book. I loved how the story unfolded, especially the parallel stories of the present and past. Just beautiful. ( )
  ssperson | Apr 3, 2021 |
Many of the other students in my YA services class enjoyed this book, but it really didn't appeal to me. ( )
  resoundingjoy | Jan 1, 2021 |
(Review written in 2014)
Pros: Relationships between characters and the parallel stories. Cons: It ends!

The Bottom Line: This novel is simply amazing.

Jellicoe Road starts out very confusing. We seem to have two narrators and two stories going
on that are completely unrelated. The first time I read this book, I was honestly confused for
at least the first half of the novel. But I stuck through it and it was completely worth it as this
novel has become my absolute favorite book.

Taylor Markham was abandoned in a 7/11 on the Jellicoe Road by her mother at age 11.
Hannah picked her up and took her to the boarding school which she has attended for five
years. Now a senior, Taylor has to deal hands-on with the territory wars that go on during the
summer between her school, the town's local high school, and the Cadets who camp in the
bush (forest) for a few weeks. When Hannah suddenly disappears, Taylor knows something
must be wrong. As she tries to figure out where Hannah went and why, she also makes
discoveries about her past and her family that will transform her life. Throughout the book,
she juggles her personal life and its issues with being the reluctant leader of a school that is
quickly losing the territory wars.

Like I said, the book was very confusing to me up to halfway. Taylor's story is relatively
straightforward if peppered with secrets and unsaid things but the other stories presented
simultaneously really threw me off. But getting halfway through revealed to me a portion of
the truth of the novel and I was interested. By the end, everything made sense and I was
completely satisfied and impressed with what I had read.

Marchetta's writing is not complicated but the ideas behind it are so profound and powerful
that it left me breathless at times. The characters she created are very real people with their
own flaws, but they are each amazing in their own way.

The stories she created in the novel are unbelievable. They are all tied to each other in
surprising ways. Some of the stories are shocking and downright tragic, but in the present, the
characters come together and their stories mingle and they move on together.

This book has everything for me: romance, tragedy, humor, and pure emotion.

My first read through Jellicoe Road, I quite liked it. When I read the book a second time,
however I was in absolute awe of Melina Marchetta's storytelling skills. This book is an
extraoridinary piece of work that deserves more recognition than it currently has.

(Review written June 23rd, 2011)
The first time I read this, I really really liked it. The second time I read it, I was able to catch connections and references I didn’t see the first time that impressed me (like Inception haha). The third time I read it, I bawled my eyes out at the end. The story is tragic but beautiful. When you first start reading it, you’re confused out of your mind, because the author presents two different stories at the same time, but this book is definitely worth the read because it is such a great story and it’s well-written. The characters are so believable and tragic and funny. It’s presented in such a normal way, just a girl living her boring life at school, then the author will insert some beautifully written piece of thought and you’re just blown by the truth of it. And then something hilarious will happen and you’ll have to take a moment to laugh. I recommend reading it at least twice, so you can get the full effect. And I recommend it to everyone. ( )
  strangerrrs | Dec 21, 2020 |
For Daniel and for Max
My father took one hundred and thirty-two minutes to die.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,019,250 books! | Top bar: Always visible