On the Jellicoe Road (2006)

by Melina Marchetta

2,0202196,669 (4.24)99
Abandoned by her drug-addicted mother at the age of eleven, high school student Taylor Markham struggles with her identity and family history at a boarding school in Australia.
    If I Stay by Gayle Forman (avalon_today)
    What I Was by Meg Rosoff (amz310783)
    Jasper Jones by Craig Silvey (bluenotebookonline)
    bluenotebookonline: Also Australian, also up for the Prinz, and also mesmerizing
    The Gorgon in the Gully by Melina Marchetta (Herenya)
    Herenya: This is the story of Jonah Griggs' 10 year old brother and is set during On the Jellicoe Road. It's also a lot of fun.
    To Jaykae: Life Stinx by Jean Davies Okimoto (thesundaybookreport)
    Looking for Alaska by John Green (thesundaybookreport)

English (215)  Swedish (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (217)
To me this book has just such an essence of summer days, of being young, of friendship, of love and family, of growth, all wrapped up in the mystery that connects the past and present. Taylor’s own narrative starts off darker as the tragedy she has experienced of being abandoned by a junkie mother and being present for a man’s suicide is faced, interspersed with the lighter narratives of the friendships and relationships between Narnie, Webb, Jude, Fitz and Tate from the past. As the book progresses Taylor’s own story becomes more hopeful as she develops deeper relationships with those around her which is juxtaposed with how the narrative of the past takes a darker turn when those characters world starts to fall apart with the loss of one of their own. While the book started off a bit slow I found the characters intriguing and charming enough and was quickly fully hooked. It had me questioning everything the entire time as I got completely enveloped into the mystery of Jellicoe. It was touching and amazing and I didn’t expect to cry as much as I did at the end of it. ( )
  Oblivionsdream | Jul 18, 2022 |
It's a murder mystery and a thriller rolled into one. Glorious! HEA=2

This is so... I feel all clogged up, like weeping my soul out. To scream and to cry and to laugh and to mourn. It's beautiful and tragic and wonderful and sad.

It's raw and painful and achingly hopeful. I hate it because I love it so much. It's death, death, death, and despair and an endless well of hope.

It's complex and hard and strange. I want to lock it inside my heart, my soul and keep it forever like a secret.

FINAL VERDICT: READ, KEEP, SPREAD THE WORD

You ain't read nothing like it. ( )
  QuirkyCat_13 | Jun 20, 2022 |
This is one you still think about have you have finished reading... ( )
  hipney | May 31, 2022 |
This book was confusing at first but by the middle it all comes together and you can figure out all of the pieces. Melina Marchetta can really write. She can make you cry, then laugh, then cry some more. Her writing is so evocative. Her characters are so well-developed and likeable. ( )
  Dairyqueen84 | Mar 15, 2022 |
This book is sort of a gem. I kind of hate teen novels. Even when I was one (only 3 years ago, but still) I was not the biggest fan. I read them though, because I am not a fan of classics (something I am trying to change) and I hated reading books about adults. I couldn't relate. That being said, girl loves boy, teen angst, high school drama, love triangles, and pitiful fantasy didn't much do it for me. I liked to read though, and there is that rare teen novel that is amazing, and this is one of them.

The first line totally hooked me. I mean describing the length of your father's death?

Honestly the reason this is a 4 and not a 5 is because it took me a little while to figure out what was the past, and get into those sections. And it took me a few pages to get a grasp on what was happening.

Taylor is the main character. A seventeen year old girl abandoned by her mother at age 11 and sent to this boarding school. She is chosen to be the leader of the school's group for the games. This part confused me a bit too at first. I couldn't figure if it was supposed to be some fantasy thing or what. Its not, its just this old tradition. The kids from the school, vs. the Townies (local kids from town), and the Cadets (a group of kids from a military like boarding school that visit once a year). A long time ago these 3 groups got together and started the "wars" over territory. Hence the game. But they all take it very seriously.

Taylor is kind of a loner, not really happy with, or was she expecting this responsibility. She is now in charge of the younger kids in her dorm, dealing with the leaders of the Townies and Cadets, and hopefully winning the wars. Her mentor of sorts is Hannah, a woman who lives on the grounds and works at the school. When Hannah disappears suddenly, her world is sort of shaken up.

I don't want to say much more for fear of giving stuff away but I can say this, the author is fantastic at totally wrapping you up in her world. Her characters are very well written, believable, relatable and human. This is a story that deals with a lot, friendships, loss, grief, the characters really do go through a lot. But, it never feels melodramatic or like its just there to have a bad thing happen. Its honest.

A good teen novel is rare, but when they are good, they can really be great. That age is a pivotal one, and good stories dealing with it are what I love. Highly recommended. ( )
  banrions | Dec 7, 2021 |
For Daniel and for Max
My father took one hundred and thirty-two minutes to die.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,869,687 books! | Top bar: Always visible