If I Stay

by Gayle Forman

Series: If I Stay (1)

While in a coma following an automobile accident that killed her parents and younger brother, seventeen-year-old Mia, a gifted cellist, weighs whether to live with her grief or join her family in death.
    Elsewhere by Gabrielle Zevin (foggidawn)
    Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver (kaledrina)
    Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher (sduff222)
    Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson (meggers12)
    Where She Went by Gayle Forman (kaledrina)
    Every Day by David Levithan (melissarochelle)
    The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold (tina1969)
    Love Story by Erich Segal (Cecrow)
    The Afterlife by Gary Soto (weener)
    weener: Another book from the point of view a young person who is having an out-of-body experience.
    Life as We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: A really great book that explores tragedy through a strong female teen voice in first person.
    How To Say Goodbye In Robot by Natalie Standiford (weener)
    Midnight Hour Encores by Bruce Brooks (weener)
    weener: About young women who are interested in music and family.
    Hopeless Savages Volume 2: Ground Zero by Jen Van Meter (weener)
    weener: I was reading If I Stay, and I thought, "I recognize those grown-up punker parents. It's just like the Hopeless-Savages!"
    The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom (tina1969)
    How It Ends by Laura Wiess (weener)
    weener: Riveting and heartbreaking teen fiction.

English (522)  German (1)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (526)
I loved this book! I could really relate to Mia in her feelings of not belonging, of worrying that she wasn't enough for Adam. In turn, I adored Adam for how completely he loved Mia, how he was so sweet and perfect for her.

I thought the whole novel was presented well, switching from the present crisis to flashbacks, helping the reader understand Mia's reasons for wanting to stay, wanting to go.

The end was so perfectly satisfying, and took my breath away. ( )
  liannecollins | Jun 10, 2022 |
What a sweet story. I had no idea what it was about when I picked it up at the book rescue. The was a story of a young lady in a terrible accident and has to choose between life and death. If we had a choice between living or dying, what would make us choose one or the other. What makes life worth living when we have lost everything or think that we have? ( )
  KyleneJones | Apr 25, 2022 |
Honestly, the parts of this I appreciated the most were about the music. I am majorly into music and it doesnt have to be any one kind. I listen to metal, rock, bluegrass, punk, anything under the sun. I might even have a country song on Spotify. This book blended the past and present very well, and for once had a relationship that didn't make me want to throw it against the wall.

A solid 4/5. ( )
  worddragon | Mar 2, 2022 |
At first I was doubtful about If I Stay, figuring it was going to be some overwrought teenage melodrama. (The moody cover with the girl on it didn't help.) Boy was I wrong – it turned out to be this lyrical, deeply moving book about life, death, and love.

This is a very introspective novel with little to no plot. Mia’s body was seriously injured in a car accident, but her essence seems to be hovering in limbo. She will have to decide whether she wants to live or quietly slip away. While she considers her choice, Mia observes the various people gathered at the hospital, and she looks back on her relationships with her family, her friends, and her boyfriend, none of which will ever be the same.

I was afraid that Mia’s main concern would be TEH BOYFRIEND, but I was pleasantly surprised. He does play a large role – he is Mia’s first love, after all – but equal import is placed on her mother, her father, her younger brother, her best friend, her grandparents, even music. Gayle Forman is a master at crafting wonderful vignettes – Mia’s first date with Adam, the birth of her brother, a day in Portland with her grandfather - that showcase all the love in her life. You feel punched in the gut because Mia will never see some of these people again. But you also hope that she will realize that she has so much to stay for, despite all that she has lost.

Four (and possibly a half) stars. ( )
  doryfish | Jan 29, 2022 |
Publicado originalmente: El Extraño Gato del Cuento

Brend me engatuzó para leer el libro u.u Si, sí, su culpa... de ella de algunas personas en el Facebook del Gato. La verdad es que tenía una idea completamente equivocada del libro, no mal, sino que con la sinopsis entendía otra cosa. Me encantan las sinopsis bien hechas, esas donde no te cuentan nada, solo una vaga idea. Le sumó puntos extras al libro para mí.

Si Decido Quedarme es espectacular, narración, sentimientos, personajes, no sé exactamente que resaltar, la historia es impresionante, muy conmovedora. Verán, no soy de llorar, y que un libro de verdad, muy literalmente, me haga llorar, es difícil, pensé que este libro no lo haría, soy de aceptar muy rápido las cosas, pero los pasajes de la vida de Mía que Gayle nos traía... Juro por el gato que no soy llorona.

No puedo contarles exactamente qué partes son las que me emocionaron más porque sería desvelar un poco la trama, excepto por la escena del violonchelo y guitarra en piel, una de las escenas más sexys y sofisticadas que he podido leer, no mal entiendan, no es una novela erótica o New Adult, es una novela juvenil realista, sin caer en la exageración solo trayéndonos la verdad de una manera que no hace que salga tu cucufata interior...¡Es perfecto!

¿Qué más decir? Creo que nada, léanlo, súfranlo, amenlo, vívanlo. Cuando crees que conoces a todos los asesinos seriales literarios, te sorprendes a ti mismo encontrando otro.

Reseña completa: El Extraño Gato del Cuento

Primero pensamiento: 01. NOV. 2013

Uno como lector piensa que toda la maldad y crueldad ya está escrita, y luego vienes y descubres que hay más asesinos seriales literarios-

Reseña completa pronto, cuando mi psiquiatra me saque de la depresión, gracias. ( )
  Ella_Zegarra | Jan 18, 2022 |
If you want a story that really grabs at your heart this is perfect. Mia is a teenager who plays cello which comes almost natural to her. She even auditioned for Julliard . I really should have read this one at a better time than on a road trip. Considering the first chapter puts you right into a horrific car crash after a great morning with her family trying to decide what to do on their snow day. When I grabed this book I kind of just scimmed through it not really knowing what I was really in store for. During the car crash scene I had to stop several times because of the gore and pain I felt reading this. Of course I don't think it help stoping either for a while because every time my husband had to change lanes i was cringing inside, I'm just glad it wasn't snowing. I had to get back into the story because I just had to know what was going to happen to Mia.
The parnormal effect in this book was perfect, She was an apparition standing in the whole time looking over her life from the outside looking in. She was in a coma and heard everything but was unable to do anything. She had to decide whether to go with her family she lost or stay with the ones left be hide. Every character in this story I loved from the quite grandfather to the punk rocker boyfriend. I loved the flash backs of her family they made the book even more enjoyable. This story had me on the verge of tears several times. I was begging Mia to just stay the whole time. If this happen to me I think I would have a really hard time choosing. I will be reading this one over and over again!

Via Mia's thoughts and flashbacks, Forman (Sisters in Sanity) expertly explores the teenager's life, her passion for classical music and her strong relationships with her family, friends and boyfriend, Adam. Mia's singular perspective (which will recall Alice Sebold's adult novel, The Lovely Bones) also allows for powerful portraits of her friends and family as they cope: Please don't die. If you die, there's going to be one of those cheesy Princess Diana memorials at school, prays Mia's friend Kim. I know you'd hate that kind of thing. Intensely moving, the novel will force readers to take stock of their lives and the people and things that make them worth living.
added by sduff222 | editPublishers Weekly

Belongs to Series

For Nick
Finally . . . Always
Everyone thinks it was because of the snow.

On a day that started like any other… Mia had everything: a loving family, a gorgeous, adoring boyfriend, and a bright future full of music and full of choices. Then, in an instant, almost all of that is taken from her. Caught between life and death, between a happy past and an unknowable future, Mia spends one critical day contemplating the one decision she has left—the most important decision she’ll ever make. Simultaneously tragic and hopeful, this is a romantic, riveting and ultimately uplifting story about memory, music, living, dying, loving.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,637,006 books! | Top bar: Always visible