If I Stay

by Gayle Forman

Series: If I Stay (1)

7,296521920 (3.89)226
While in a coma following an automobile accident that killed her parents and younger brother, seventeen-year-old Mia, a gifted cellist, weighs whether to live with her grief or join her family in death.
    Elsewhere by Gabrielle Zevin (foggidawn)
    Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver (kaledrina)
    Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher (sduff222)
    Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson (meggers12)
    Where She Went by Gayle Forman (kaledrina)
    Every Day by David Levithan (melissarochelle)
    The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold (tina1969)
    Love Story by Erich Segal (Cecrow)
    The Afterlife by Gary Soto (weener)
    weener: Another book from the point of view a young person who is having an out-of-body experience.
    Life as We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: A really great book that explores tragedy through a strong female teen voice in first person.
    How To Say Goodbye In Robot by Natalie Standiford (weener)
    Midnight Hour Encores by Bruce Brooks (weener)
    weener: About young women who are interested in music and family.
    Hopeless Savages Volume 2: Ground Zero by Jen Van Meter (weener)
    weener: I was reading If I Stay, and I thought, "I recognize those grown-up punker parents. It's just like the Hopeless-Savages!"
    The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom (tina1969)
    How It Ends by Laura Wiess (weener)
    weener: Riveting and heartbreaking teen fiction.

English (518)  German (1)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (522)
I love Mia's family. I am devastated. The author does an excellent job of making the characters come to life and the music stream off the pages. Beautiful book, despite the handful of typos in it. ( )
  mbellucci | Apr 10, 2021 |
Just catching up on my reviews during this time of social distancing. 'If I Stay' is still to this day my favorite duology. I cried and cried and just went through the whole story as if I was a character — a part of this book. It was nearly impossible to put the book down, and when I've finished the last chapter, I just felt lost! Gayle Forman is definitely one of my favorite author ( )
  iamcmims | Apr 4, 2021 |
4.25* I thought parts of this did not sound like the perspective of a high school student (some of the language/dialogue didn't feel realistic). I liked the concept and storyline even though not a whole lot happened. I wanted just a little more at the end though... I wanted a little more definitive ending since the books title leads you to question. I don't think a decision like that should have stayed quite so open ended. It felt a little too like the ending of Inception for me. ( )
  courty4189 | Mar 24, 2021 |
Favorite Quote: I am seventeen years old. This is not how it's supposed to be. This is not how my life is supposed to turn out.

Oh.My.God.
My heart hurts so much, I can't believe how it can bear it. I never felt such emotions reading a book. Ever.
It was such a sad, gut-wrenching, tear-your-heart-and-leaving-it-open book. When I thought the tears would stop, another line, another word would keep 'em coming and coming, until my family started worrying about me.
Mia's story and her journey out of her body, witnissing her loved ones going through the tragedy was at times unbearable to read, even worse were the memories she relieved by each step she took and every second that ticked by.

She keeps wondering: What would it be like if I stay?

She had a life before, a pretty amzing one: a wonderful family with an ex-rockstar Dad, a feminist who doesn't chew her words Mom and a sweet little brother, her passion for classical music and pursuing her dream of becoming a famour cello player graduated from Julliard school.

But then everything has perished. Her entire family is gone, nothing is left for her in this life, everyone she cherished had been taken away that very morning, there's nothing worth staying for.

And there's Adam.

Adam.Adam.Adam.Adam.

The music-obsessed, guitar-player, sweet and swoony rock star boyfriend. Though things weren't always great with the different paths their lives were taking, they were still crazy in love and trying as hard as possible to make it work and not think about the imminent future. However, he was both her weakness and her stregnth and his disarray made me cry even harder. Him wishing for her to stay, oh God what a mess I've been when I read that passage:
"If you stay, I'll do whatever you want..."

The ending is what frustered me the most. How could Mrs. Forman leave me with such an ending? that was very wicked of her, now I can't wait untill I read the next book, and from what I heard, it will be from Adam POV and I'd better prepare a box of Kleenex...

N.B: Through the whole book, and possibly because he's a music obsessed guy, I couldn't stop picturing Adam as:

Since his role in Gimore Girls as Jesse, the troublesome, oh-so-dangerously-hot bad boy who loved music AND reading books, I had a soft spot for him. I mean, who would resist such a hottie and this lopsided mouth that would crack into such a very sexy grin... *sigh*

As for his voice, the PenguinYoungReader trailer for "Where She Went" is feautring one of the sexiest voice I've ever heard for Adam. So now, I'm fully intending on reading the next book AND listening to the audiobook.

Ash600 | Mar 19, 2021 |
Wow! How powerful is this story?? I don’t even know where to begin. To imagine having to make the choice between life and death myself with all the extenuating circumstances that were in this book would be excruciating. I think most feel they are pretty sure of what they want when their time comes, but can you imagine if that time comes and you literally have to make that choice - to stay or go... all the while watching your friends and family cry and pretty much mourn you already. I’m not sure that my current wishes would be so easy to stick with if I was in such a situation.
  purple_pisces22 | Mar 14, 2021 |
If you want a story that really grabs at your heart this is perfect. Mia is a teenager who plays cello which comes almost natural to her. She even auditioned for Julliard . I really should have read this one at a better time than on a road trip. Considering the first chapter puts you right into a horrific car crash after a great morning with her family trying to decide what to do on their snow day. When I grabed this book I kind of just scimmed through it not really knowing what I was really in store for. During the car crash scene I had to stop several times because of the gore and pain I felt reading this. Of course I don't think it help stoping either for a while because every time my husband had to change lanes i was cringing inside, I'm just glad it wasn't snowing. I had to get back into the story because I just had to know what was going to happen to Mia.
The parnormal effect in this book was perfect, She was an apparition standing in the whole time looking over her life from the outside looking in. She was in a coma and heard everything but was unable to do anything. She had to decide whether to go with her family she lost or stay with the ones left be hide. Every character in this story I loved from the quite grandfather to the punk rocker boyfriend. I loved the flash backs of her family they made the book even more enjoyable. This story had me on the verge of tears several times. I was begging Mia to just stay the whole time. If this happen to me I think I would have a really hard time choosing. I will be reading this one over and over again!

Via Mia's thoughts and flashbacks, Forman (Sisters in Sanity) expertly explores the teenager's life, her passion for classical music and her strong relationships with her family, friends and boyfriend, Adam. Mia's singular perspective (which will recall Alice Sebold's adult novel, The Lovely Bones) also allows for powerful portraits of her friends and family as they cope: Please don't die. If you die, there's going to be one of those cheesy Princess Diana memorials at school, prays Mia's friend Kim. I know you'd hate that kind of thing. Intensely moving, the novel will force readers to take stock of their lives and the people and things that make them worth living.
added by sduff222 | editPublishers Weekly

Belongs to Series

For Nick
Finally . . . Always
Everyone thinks it was because of the snow.

On a day that started like any other… Mia had everything: a loving family, a gorgeous, adoring boyfriend, and a bright future full of music and full of choices. Then, in an instant, almost all of that is taken from her. Caught between life and death, between a happy past and an unknowable future, Mia spends one critical day contemplating the one decision she has left—the most important decision she’ll ever make. Simultaneously tragic and hopeful, this is a romantic, riveting and ultimately uplifting story about memory, music, living, dying, loving.

GenreThing

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,198,395 books! | Top bar: Always visible