HomeGroupsTalkExploreZeitgeist
Search Site
This site uses cookies to deliver our services, improve performance, for analytics, and (if not signed in) for advertising. By using LibraryThing you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. Your use of the site and services is subject to these policies and terms.
Hide this

Results from Google Books

Click on a thumbnail to go to Google Books.

Loading...

Thirteen Reasons Why

by Jay Asher

Other authors: See the other authors section.

MembersReviewsPopularityAverage ratingMentions
10,987730501 (3.88)264
When high school student Clay Jenkins receives a box in the mail containing thirteen cassette tapes recorded by his classmate Hannah, who committed suicide, he spends a bewildering and heartbreaking night crisscrossing their town, listening to Hannah's voice recounting the events leading up to her death.… (more)
Loading...

Sign up for LibraryThing to find out whether you'll like this book.

No current Talk conversations about this book.

» See also 264 mentions

English (713)  German (5)  Spanish (5)  Italian (2)  French (2)  Dutch (1)  Hungarian (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (730)
Showing 1-5 of 713 (next | show all)
From my notes: review is on here, not goodreads. Maybe find goodreads? ( )
  iszevthere | Jun 20, 2022 |
Dunque... Ho pensato a come scrivere questa recensione. Ci ho pensato tanto. Ho letto questo libro velocemente, perché non potevo smettere di leggere.
Il suicidio porta con se uno stigma e ci impedisce di parlarne apertamente, in qualsiasi posizione ci troviamo, sia quello della persona che ha bisogno di aiuto che quella che dovrebbe ascoltare. Molte persone faticano a pensare che le persone che vogliono commettere il suicidio abbiano davvero bisogno di aiuto e non vogliano solo attenzioni. Ma, credetemi, e lo dico per esperienza persona a tutti e due i capi della faccenda, quelle persone stanno chiedendo aiuto.

A lot of you cared, just not enough. And that... that is what I needed to find out.
...
And I did find out.
...
And I'm sorry.


Per quanto riguarda la storia... Hannah si è suicidata, ma prima di farlo a registrato delle cassette in cui spiega le tredici ragioni (o meglio, persone) a causa di cui si è tolta la vita. Hannah le spedisce alla prima persona di cui parla nelle cassette, registrando anche che quella persona le deve spedire alla successiva e così via.

The rules are pretty simple. There are only two. Rule number one: You listen. Number two: You pass it on. Hopefully, neither one will be easy for you.

Le cassette arrivano anche a Clay, che non capisce perché lui sia in queste cassette, ma lo comprenderà quando arriverà il suo turno. E tutto avrà un senso. Tutto, alla fine, sarà collegato.
La vicenda è raccontata a due voci da Hannah tramite le cassette e Clay tramite i commenti e le reazioni rispetto a ciò che Hannah rivela.
Ciò che alla fine le persone coinvolte comprenderanno è che le nostre azioni, tutte quante, hanno delle conseguenze. E possono causare nelle altre persone ciò che mai ci aspetteremmo. Anche il suicidio.
Ciò che diciamo, che sia falso o che sia vero. Specialmente se è falso ed è negativo, perché le persone ci credono di più.

Ho dato a questo libro cinque stelle perché si legge velocemente, anche se non è una lettura piacevole. Fa pensare, però, e io mi sono rivista in Hannah. Sono rimasta coinvolta emotivamente, e sono riuscita a piangere, ma solo alla fine. Alle vere ultime parole di Hannah.

I would have helped her if she'd only let me. I would have helped her because i want her to be alive.

Il problema di Clay, secondo me, è quello di molte persone. Vorrebbero aiutare, e se non riescono a farlo danno la colpa alla persona che si è suicidata. Onestamente? Quella persona ha cercato di chiedere aiuto come poteva, ma quando prendi una decisione come quella di suicidarti... Non ti fidi più di nessuno, non vuoi parlarne, vuoi farlo e basta. Sta alle persone attorno a te, se davvero gliene importa qualcosa, farti parlare e cercare di convincerti a non farlo. E Clay non lo ha fatto. E alla fine anche lui ha compreso che, anche se non era nelle cassette per le ragioni per cui lo erano gli altri, lui ha avuto una parte nella decisione di Hannah.

Io non so cos'altro dire. Penso di essermi spiegata e mi è difficile parlarne.

la recensione si può trovare anche su thereadingpal.blogspot.it ( )
  thereadingpal | Jun 14, 2022 |
4.5 stars, def YA/high school age. This one was recommended to me by my dear cousin and she suggested seeing it on Netflix first, so that is what I did. I am glad I did it that way because the two were different and I liked them both. I know it is a controversial subject, suicide, but I think awareness of why people get to that point and sometimes how subtle it can be, is really important. People are hurting everywhere, all the time sometimes. How we treat each other is important and not fully realized either. Hannah Baker had alot of stuff going on, but if you only knew one piece, it wouldn't seem so vital; all together, not good. We also need to recognize the culmination of traumatic events in our own lives and be able to share those with kind, caring individuals to help figure the hard stuff out and get our thoughts positively straightened. It is ok to be sad and hurting or angry or fearful, but when those feelings get too big and strong for whatever reason, we need to say something. People can not guess or imagine or suppose or weed out or figure it out or see it, all on their own. So yes, Hannah's friends were not aware of the depth of her pain. Was that their fault? Neither were her parents, teacher or school counselor. Was that their fault? Were they a reason or an excuse for what she chose to do? In the end, sadly, it was Hannah's choice. Yes, life sucks, really hard sometimes. But you are here for a reason. Please, if you need help or are thinking of hurting yourself or others, get some help. Tell someone in real words, someone who cares and can help and then work hard on life and what you want it to be, until by some accident, disease or fate, your time is done. Please don't leave the party early. SPOILER: Netflix is WAY more graphic and has added some harsher details and events that may been too much for those who are empaths, children, those who have experience some of these traumas, and those who have yet to realize their worth. ( )
  BarbF410 | May 22, 2022 |
This should be a must read in every High School. It should not be banned. ( )
  paworkingmom | May 3, 2022 |
Controversial but a good book overall. ( )
  jonahdog | Apr 2, 2022 |
Showing 1-5 of 713 (next | show all)
Clay Jensen receives a package of tapes in the mail with no return address from one of his classmates Hannah baker who had killed herself two weeks before as he struggles to hear the tapes of Hannah he also follows this map that Hannah had put in his locker a week before she committed Suicide as clay travels star to star he hears the stories of people who have hurt Hannah. And drove her to kill herself you only hear the tapes if you had something to do with it so if you don't pass the tapes on they will be release to everyone clay listens to the tapes and he fails to see who he can trust person by person clay has some type of incounterment with everyone else on the tapes and trays to help Hannah out with the last tape she couldn't get around to
added by Jessalynnbanks | editNew York Times, Jessalynn banks
 

» Add other authors (5 possible)

Author nameRoleType of authorWork?Status
Jay Asherprimary authorall editionscalculated
Johnstone, JoelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wiseman, DebraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
You must log in to edit Common Knowledge data.
For more help see the Common Knowledge help page.
Canonical title
Original title
Alternative titles
Original publication date
People/Characters
Important places
Important events
Related movies
Awards and honors
Epigraph
Dedication
For JoanMarie
First words
"Sir?" she repeats. "How soon do you want it to get there?"
Quotations
But if I wanted a reminder, I could’ve made copies of the tapes or saved the map. But I never want to hear those tapes again, though her voice will never leave my head. And the houses, the streets, and the high school will always be there to remind me.
I hope you’re ready, because I’m about to tell you the story of my life. More specifically, why my life ended. And if you’re listening to these tapes, you’re one of the reasons why.
I would have helped her if she’d only let me. I would have helped her because I want her to be alive.
Who am I going to see today? Besides me, eight people at this school have already listened to the tapes. Eight people, today, are waiting to see what the tapes have done to me. And over the next week or so, as the tapes move on, I’ll be doing the same to the rest of them.
''After all, how often do we get a second chance?''
Last words
Disambiguation notice
Publisher's editors
Blurbers
Original language
Canonical DDC/MDS
Canonical LCC

References to this work on external resources.

Wikipedia in English (3)

When high school student Clay Jenkins receives a box in the mail containing thirteen cassette tapes recorded by his classmate Hannah, who committed suicide, he spends a bewildering and heartbreaking night crisscrossing their town, listening to Hannah's voice recounting the events leading up to her death.

No library descriptions found.

Book description
You can't stop the future.
You can't rewind the past.
The only way to learn the secret . . . is to press play.

Clay Jensen returns home from school to find a strange package with his name on it lying on his porch. Inside he discovers several cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Baker--his classmate and crush--who committed suicide two weeks earlier. Hannah's voice tells him that there are thirteen reasons why she decided to end her life. Clay is one of them. If he listens, he'll find out why.

Clay spends the night crisscrossing his town with Hannah as his guide. He becomes a firsthand witness to Hannah's pain, and as he follows Hannah's recorded words throughout his town, what he discovers changes his life forever.
Haiku summary

Popular covers

Quick Links

Rating

Average: (3.88)
0.5 5
1 103
1.5 5
2 213
2.5 35
3 603
3.5 126
4 1019
4.5 151
5 1006

Is this you?

Become a LibraryThing Author.

 

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,531,534 books! | Top bar: Always visible