Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Thirteen Reasons Why

by Jay Asher

8,419644558 (3.95)243

English (629)  German (5)  Spanish (4)  Italian (2)  French (2)  Dutch (1)  Hungarian (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (645)
Wow. I think every HS student should read this. Mostly it explains just how stupid, or unintentional actions and comments can lead to bigger things. Sure there are more details but no spoilers here. Just read it!
  ksmedberg | Aug 15, 2018 |
I read this book because my two daughters read it and there has been a lot of talk about it. With teen suicide in the news so often I hoped it would be a book that would give them insight into how small things can have big consequences, how to be a better friend, and how to be stronger than the haters. The book does a good job dealing with the first two concerns I had, but really, in my opinion, blew it on the third.

The MC in this book, Hannah, records tapes that "explain" her reasons for committing suicide and sends them to people she feels were a part of her decision. Each recipient gets to hear how everyone else on this list drove her to take her life. We "listen" to the tapes with Clay, a boy who had feelings for Hannah but never really reached through to her. His agonized reaction to the tapes was the part of the book that annoyed me. Here was this "perfect boy" (?!) who would have been there for Hannah, the boy she could have turned to, but instead pushed away, and she sends him the tapes to add to his agony. She is gone, his life will never be the same, she has taken him down with her. Her final act is so selfish and hurtful. While it may or may not be realistic (read other reviews for dissenting opinions) it does not bring anything positive to the discussion every parent should be having with their children. ( )
  Rdra1962 | Aug 1, 2018 |
Ugh ugh ugh. I thoroughly hated the experience of reading this book. ( )
  captainmander | Jul 19, 2018 |
Loved it. Loved Clay and cried on his tape. The last person was cruel. The ending wanted me wanting more. But, reading it the second time seemed not as thrilling. I have to forget it completely if I want to feel like what I felt when I first read it but, I think its one of those one time books. ( )
  AdrianaGarcia | Jul 10, 2018 |
Clay Jensen receives a package of tapes in the mail with no return address from one of his classmates Hannah baker who had killed herself two weeks before as he struggles to hear the tapes of Hannah he also follows this map that Hannah had put in his locker a week before she committed Suicide as clay travels star to star he hears the stories of people who have hurt Hannah. And drove her to kill herself you only hear the tapes if you had something to do with it so if you don't pass the tapes on they will be release to everyone clay listens to the tapes and he fails to see who he can trust person by person clay has some type of incounterment with everyone else on the tapes and trays to help Hannah out with the last tape she couldn't get around to
added by Jessalynnbanks | editNew York Times, Jessalynn banks

Jay Asherprimary authorall editionscalculated
Johnstone, JoelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wiseman, DebraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For JoanMarie
"Sir?" she repeats. "How soon do you want it to get there?"
But if I wanted a reminder, I could’ve made copies of the tapes or saved the map. But I never want to hear those tapes again, though her voice will never leave my head. And the houses, the streets, and the high school will always be there to remind me.
I hope you’re ready, because I’m about to tell you the story of my life. More specifically, why my life ended. And if you’re listening to these tapes, you’re one of the reasons why.
I would have helped her if she’d only let me. I would have helped her because I want her to be alive.
Who am I going to see today? Besides me, eight people at this school have already listened to the tapes. Eight people, today, are waiting to see what the tapes have done to me. And over the next week or so, as the tapes move on, I’ll be doing the same to the rest of them.
''After all, how often do we get a second chance?''

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 159514188X, Paperback)

Clay Jensen returns home from school to find a strange package with his name on it lying on his porch. Inside he discovers several cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Baker - his classmate and crush - who committed suicide two weeks earlier. Hannah's voice tells him that there are thirteen reasons why she decided to end her life. Clay is one of them. If he listens, he'll find out why. Clay spends the night crisscrossing his town with Hannah as his guide. He becomes a firsthand witness to Hannah's pain, and learns the truth about himself-a truth he never wanted to face.

Thirteen Reasons Why is the gripping, addictive international bestseller that has changed lives the world over. It's an unrelenting modern classic.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:59 -0400)

When high school student Clay Jenkins receives a box in the mail containing thirteen cassette tapes recorded by his classmate Hannah, who committed suicide, he spends a bewildering and heartbreaking night crisscrossing their town, listening to Hannah's voice recounting the events leading up to her death.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,016,803 books! | Top bar: Always visible