Thirteen Reasons Why

by Jay Asher

When high school student Clay Jenkins receives a box in the mail containing thirteen cassette tapes recorded by his classmate Hannah, who committed suicide, he spends a bewildering and heartbreaking night crisscrossing their town, listening to Hannah's voice recounting the events leading up to her death.… (more)

English (698)  German (5)  Spanish (5)  Italian (2)  French (2)  Dutch (1)  Hungarian (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (715)
Because I'm cold-hearted like that.

The 1 REASON WHY I'm not giving this one star is because I trust that it can open positive discussions about suicide with teens. I just hope people point out its crushing amount of flaws while they're at it. ( )
  LibroLindsay | Jun 18, 2021 |
Originally, I wasn't interested in watching the series at all. I'm not a person into romances or dramas, but this book came up on one of my suggested reads, and I don't deny books like I deny things I watch.

I was very wary when I started to read this book, I strongly dislike being sad or crying so I was so reluctant in giving this book a chance. However, after reading it, I must say I'm glad I did.

Clay Jensen receives 13 cassette tapes from his recently dead crush, Hannah Baker. In these tapes, Hannah explains why she ends her life, and the thirteen people that lead her to do it. Clay receives the tapes and when he listens, he tries to figure where he fits in and what he did to lead Hannah to her deadly decision.

This book speaks volumes of how the actions of one person is of consequence to another person. Poor Hannah was going through a series of unfortunate events and having no one she felt she could trust. Whenever Hannah tried to give someone a chance or reach out for help, she was later disappointed. By the time she got to know Clay, there was nothing he could have done. It's just sad that he truly liked her and by twist of fate, she was denied the fact of knowing at least she would know one person truly cared.

I am a suicide survivor. I was depressed, and had terrible thoughts six years ago. I attempted twice, but must have been fate because I am still here. I battled my way through my depression for four years. All of it alone. I am so lucky that I was raised to be that strong and born with that innate strength. I understand what it feels like to feel alone or that no one cares. The fact of the matter is: this is not true. We are not alone. No matter how alone we feel, we aren't. Also, I looked at the big picture. The world doesn't revolve around us. We are pieces to a bigger puzzle, but if we are gone, another can easily fill up that space. There is always someone worse off than us. I thought that my thoughts were selfish and took steps to change my life around. Now I am a crisis counselor, just trying to help others in similar situations. ( )
  luulaa | Jun 15, 2021 |
If this book helps young people when they need help then the author has done something great and I truly mean that. However I disliked almost every page of this book. I hated the narrative, I hated the gimmicky concept, and I hated the voices of both Clay and Hannah because they didn't sound like real people to me. The whole thing read like one of the religious tracts I read when I was a kid; clunky, patronizing, and heavy-handed. Teen suicide is a serious issue and I admire the author's willingness to approach it so openly. But I'm happy that I don't have to read this again. ( )
  jobinsonlis | May 11, 2021 |
I literally could not stop reading this book. The format is very original and the subject matter is poignant. An excellent reminder that kindness counts. ( )
  mbellucci | Apr 10, 2021 |
Clay Jensen receives a package of tapes in the mail with no return address from one of his classmates Hannah baker who had killed herself two weeks before as he struggles to hear the tapes of Hannah he also follows this map that Hannah had put in his locker a week before she committed Suicide as clay travels star to star he hears the stories of people who have hurt Hannah. And drove her to kill herself you only hear the tapes if you had something to do with it so if you don't pass the tapes on they will be release to everyone clay listens to the tapes and he fails to see who he can trust person by person clay has some type of incounterment with everyone else on the tapes and trays to help Hannah out with the last tape she couldn't get around to
added by Jessalynnbanks | editNew York Times, Jessalynn banks

Jay Asherprimary authorall editionscalculated
Johnstone, JoelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wiseman, DebraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For JoanMarie
"Sir?" she repeats. "How soon do you want it to get there?"
But if I wanted a reminder, I could’ve made copies of the tapes or saved the map. But I never want to hear those tapes again, though her voice will never leave my head. And the houses, the streets, and the high school will always be there to remind me.
I hope you’re ready, because I’m about to tell you the story of my life. More specifically, why my life ended. And if you’re listening to these tapes, you’re one of the reasons why.
I would have helped her if she’d only let me. I would have helped her because I want her to be alive.
Who am I going to see today? Besides me, eight people at this school have already listened to the tapes. Eight people, today, are waiting to see what the tapes have done to me. And over the next week or so, as the tapes move on, I’ll be doing the same to the rest of them.
''After all, how often do we get a second chance?''

You can't stop the future.
You can't rewind the past.
The only way to learn the secret . . . is to press play.

Clay Jensen returns home from school to find a strange package with his name on it lying on his porch. Inside he discovers several cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Baker--his classmate and crush--who committed suicide two weeks earlier. Hannah's voice tells him that there are thirteen reasons why she decided to end her life. Clay is one of them. If he listens, he'll find out why.

Clay spends the night crisscrossing his town with Hannah as his guide. He becomes a firsthand witness to Hannah's pain, and as he follows Hannah's recorded words throughout his town, what he discovers changes his life forever.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,089,839 books! | Top bar: Always visible