dismiss

The Pact (1998)

by Jodi Picoult

A teenage suicide pact between a pregnant girl and her boyfriend, both children of wealthy New England families. He shoots her, but fails to shoot himself and is charged with murder. At the trial he explains what made them do it.
Recently added bynelsam, nguinan, Sam_Lawson, jocelynelise_, SaRamos94, totsgram, private library, srod, Chyvalrys
    Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah (marcejewels)
    marcejewels: Similar style of writing regarding chapters etc. The friendship is between 2 girls.
    Circle of Friends by Maeve Binchy (jbvm)
    Blue Diary by Alice Hoffman (jbvm)
    A Map of the World by Jane Hamilton (ainsleytewce)

English (169)  Italian (1)  All languages (170)
A depressing read. I am a big Picoult fan, but I didn't enjoy this as much as I expected. ( )
  Chrissylou62 | Aug 1, 2020 |
4.5 stars. ( )
  kbranfield | Feb 3, 2020 |
I understand why some people enjoyed this book and I equally understand why a lot of people hate it with the fire of a thousand suns. The story is manipulative and not particularly plausible. The characters are inconsistent at best and largely unsympathetic. (Could the four parents have gotten any more blind and stupid?!) And the ending, after all that build-up, could only be called a whimper if you were feeling charitable.

But you know what... she got you thinking and talking about what she wrote. And that's really the whole point of any Jodi Picoult book. Whether or not you liked the book, whatever you think of her as a writer, she gets you involved in subjects that most people normally shy away from. Had you given much thought to teenage suicide before you read this book? Unless it has happened in your life, probably not- it's one of those uncomfortable things society doesn't like to look closely at. So I do generously give this book three stars. Because even though it really is pretty horrible, it is still able to draw passionate reactions nine years after it's release. ( )
  tiasreads | Dec 11, 2019 |
An emotional love story of two teenagers and what they would do for each other -- anything. The raw emotions are so troubling in what Jodi Picoult exposes in her stories - they make you think about situations that many people avoid. Her books are so thought provoking and true to life. They are truly gifts. ( )
  rmarcin | Jan 22, 2019 |
A story of two sets of families, neighbors, whose children are so close they are like siblings. As they mature they become lovers, but the girl doesn't feel right about it. She becomes pregnant and wants to kill herself. She has Chris help her. She dies and he's accused of murder.
Some of the errors in the book bothered me, but over all it was a good book. ( )
  VhartPowers | Dec 27, 2018 |
Who ever loved that loved not at first signt?
--CHRISTOPHER MARLOWE
Hero and Leander
Let us embrace, and from this very moment vow an eternal miserY together.
--THOMAS OTWAY
The Orphan
This one's for my brother, Jon,
who knows the cost of the Space Toilet, the spelling of Tetris, and the way to fnd a chapter accidentally lost in the bowels of my computer.
I hope you also know how terrific I think you are.
There was nothing left to say.

For eighteen years the Hartes and the Golds have lived next door to each other, sharing everything from Chinese food to chicken pox to carpool duty-- they've grown so close it seems they have always been a part of each other's lives. Parents and children alike have been best friends, so it's no surprise that in high school Chris and Emily's friendship blossoms into something more. They've been soul mates since they were born.

So when midnight calls from the hospital come in, no one is ready for the appalling truth: Emily is dead at seventeen from a gunshot wound to the head. There's a single unspent bullet in the gun that Chris took from his father's cabinet-- a bullet that Chris tells police he intended for himself. But a local detective has doubts about the suicide pact that Chris has described.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,200,734 books! | Top bar: Always visible