Circle of Friends by Maeve Binchy

Circle of Friends

by Maeve Binchy

Recently added byEvaHamill, SandyDawn, rena75, conchanna, BookHavenAZ, hopscotchdemon, private library

English (45)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  Lithuanian (1)  All languages (48)
Another great Binchy read and probably the best story in my opinion. The characters were well-developed and some you could love and some you could hate. It's a coming-of-age story that follows the lives of several girls as they grow into young women, navigate romantic relationships, and try to come to terms with who they are as people. I'm looking forward to reading Firefly Summer next and would highly recommend her books to those who love reading about Ireland. ( )
  EadieB | Mar 2, 2019 |
What a wonderful old hardback with wildly colorful red poppy end papers echoing the cover!

And, what a different perspective from the dismal Country Girls!

Maeve Binchy creates the exact feelings and behaviors of living in a small Irish country town
and adds humor, as in Benny and Eve's Wise Woman predictions about the future of their townspeople
and with the unwelcome entrance of Fonzie and Clodagh.

Knockglen will be a place to visit again and again, a place where secrets do not dominate the story:
"But it's not a mystery or a crime or anything, is it?" Maybe all three...

Favorite characters were Clodagh, Heather, and Sister Mary Francis.

Plot stretches, which led to the book being overlong, include:
men not using simple birth control after all the women they had enjoyed in their lives
and Eve forgiving Jack for betrayals to her little home and her best friend.
He should have stayed as far away as Nan.

And, I could have lived without "fly cemeteries." blech. ( )
  m.belljackson | Mar 24, 2018 |
The 5 star is a product of my younger self. I adored this book when I was a teen, and read it countless times. ( )
1 vote abergsman | Mar 20, 2018 |
When I am in between reads and waiting for the next library "hold" to come in I inevitably turn to Maeve Binchy and I am never disappointed. Her style and structure work perfectly for me. I felt as if I had met some of the characters during my time at school. The storyline was interesting and believable. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. ( )
  kimkimkim | Aug 21, 2017 |
This book has been livibg on my TBR-shelf for way too long. After reading it, I have no clue as to why I put off reading it for so long.
In short: an easy read, interesting, a bit boring for I had a very good idea of ehat eould happen next. But it was still so different, or the characters were so sell worked out and put together, that I did read it till the end AND enjoyed it as sell. ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Apr 8, 2017 |

Maeve Binchyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Huigen, RenéTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thomése, FransTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Valster, G.M.Editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To dearest Gordon with all my love
The kitchen was full of the smells of baking.

It began with Benny Hogan and Eve Malone, growing up, inseparable, in the village of Knockglen. Benny—the only child, yearning to break free from her adoring parents...Eve—the orphaned offspring of a convent handyman and a rebellious blueblood, abandoned by her mother's wealthy family to be raised by nuns. Eve and Benny—they knew the sins and secrets behind every villager's lace curtains...except their own.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:44 -0400)

It began with Benny Hogan and Eve Malone, growing up, inseparable, in the village of Knockglen. Benny--the only child, yearning to break free from her adoring parents...Eve--the orphaned offspring of a convent handyman and a rebellious blueblood, abandoned by her mother's wealthy family to be raised by nuns. Eve and Benny--they knew the sins and secrets behind every villager's lace curtains...except their own. It widened at Dublin, at the university where Benny and Eve met beautiful Nan Mahlon and Jack Foley, a doctor's handsome son. But heartbreak and betrayal would bring the worlds of Knockglen and Dublin into explosive collision. Long-hidden lies would emerge to test the meaning of love and the strength of ties held within the fragile gold bands of a...Circle Of Friends.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,363,766 books! | Top bar: Always visible