Before I Fall

by Lauren Oliver

1,9421966,672 (3.99)121
After she dies in a car crash, teenage Samantha relives the day of her death over and over again until, on the seventh day, she finally discovers a way to save herself.

English (189)  German (3)  Spanish (2)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (195)
This book was so beautifully written and really makes the reader think about so many different aspects of their own life and prioritize the important things.

Even though I already knew what was going to happen based on the very first few pages of the book, I was still holding onto the hope that the most horrible thing wasn't going to happen and that Sam would be given the second chance that she was continuing to be given throughout the entire book. I was hoping one of those chances would actually stick and that she would actually wake up the next day and have everything that she was actually able to figure out that she wanted out of life. There was a lot of wisdom going on in this book that one would not especially expect of a high schooler like Sam, but after being given several chances at the same day over and over, it was obvious that she was able to "figure it all out".

I thought this book was written so well and had just the right amount of description, inner dialogue, intra-dialogue, and connection to characters. There were definitely things you didn't like and did like with just about all the characters you spent more time with and it was really easy to identify with just about any characters. I grew up attending smaller schools (K-12), but we still had those that you considered "popular" and it was easy to see why some didn't like them, but yet how those in that group were all so close, because you had friends like that who really knew you for you.

I would highly recommend this book to any girl and maybe even some guys who would appreciate the wonderful message of this book. ( )
  courty4189 | Mar 24, 2021 |
Loved this book. A great story with great characters. Samantha and her friends felt so real and many scenes in this book to me back to my own HS years. IN the beginning I felt like I was supposed to hate Sam and she wasn't my favorite, but I loved how she grew and the realizations she had at the end. ( )
  sunshine608 | Feb 2, 2021 |
This book was great. It was interesting to "watch" Sam become more mature and realize what is more important in life as she relives the same day over and over. I would recommend any of Lauren Oliver's books to anyone! They are great! ( )
  AlizarinCrimson | Jan 7, 2021 |
Besides being teen melodrama, it was kind of overlong. ( )
  klnbennett | Oct 7, 2020 |
The writing is a tour de force, the first section is a shot through the rapids followed by a deft mix of serious and light frantic and calm. I could not for myself feel that Sam should not blame Lindsey at all for her death, but I can sort of see, with how it ended that, for Sam, Lindsey wasn't at fault. I however, wanted to dash Lindsey's brains against the wall. ( )
  quondame | Sep 18, 2020 |
Although somewhat predictable, the plot drives forward and teens will want to see where Sam's choices lead.
added by khuggard | editSchool Library Journal, Amy J. Chow

Lauren Oliverprimary authorall editionscalculated
Drew, SarahNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In loving memory of Semon Emil Knudsen
Peter: Thank you for giving me some of my greatest hits. I miss you.
Prologue:

They say that just before you die your whole life flashes before your eyes, but that's not how it happened for me.
"Beep beep", Lindsay calls out. A few weeks ago my mom yelled at her for blasting her horn at six fifty-five every morning, and this is Lindsay's solution.
''Here's one of the things I learned that morning: if you cross a line and nothing happens, the line loses meaning.''
Please do not combine with the enhanced version which has two short stories and an essay in addition to this novel.

What if you had only one day to live? What would you do? Who would you kiss? And how far would you go to save your own life?

Samantha Kingston has it all—looks, popularity, the perfect boyfriend. Friday, February 12th should be just another day in her charmed life. Instead, it’s her last. The catch: Samantha still wakes up the next morning. In fact, she re-lives the last day of her life seven times, until she realizes that by making even the slightest changes, she may hold more power than she had ever imagined.
It's like Groundhog Day

for young women- in book form

with a sad ending.

(Eskimo_Kissez)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,148,162 books! | Top bar: Always visible