We Were Liars

by E. Lockhart

Series: We Were Liars (1)

Spending the summers on her family's private island off the coast of Massachusetts with her cousins and a special boy named Gat, teenaged Cadence struggles to remember what happened during her fifteenth summer.
    How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff (amysisson)
    amysisson: Although ultimately the books are different, the love felt by the viewpoint characters seems similar, and there is a certain unusual poetic quality to the writing. Both are glorious books.
    Liar by Justine Larbalestier (legxleg)
    legxleg: Both have unreliable teen narrators
    Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver (bluenotebookonline)
    We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson (Littlemissmops)
    Every Last Word by Tamara Ireland Stone (kgriffith)
    Vanishing Girls by Lauren Oliver (BookshelfMonstrosity)

English (439)  Dutch (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (441)
The writing style wasn’t for me. I spotted the twist too early and I just did not care, at all, about any of the characters. That said, it wasn’t an awful book. I can see why it gets recommended all the time although it didn’t do anything for me. ( )
  yeffin | Jul 13, 2024 |
This book was really interesting. In a way, I feel I have a love hate relationship-as I do with many books I read-with this piece. I loved the idea and the ending to this book, but it could do with a little less pretension from all of the characters. Although, I think I understand what the author was going for and the point was quite clear, but sometimes it gets lost in the dialogue with the characters and you can't help but despise them at times.

However, not many books make my eyes water (lol), and this one managed to do so. The ending-or close to ending-was so beautifully written, that it did stir up a lot of emotions. I have to give Lockhart credit for being able to do that through the power of the pen. I feel that some authors miss the mark when trying to portray a moment of complete and utter emotional climax. But Lockhart hit it spot on. Well done!

All in all, I do recommend this book if you're not phased by pretentious rich white families who could use a huge dose of humbleness. ( )
  prebs29 | Jul 6, 2024 |
I really enjoyed this book. The writing style captured me as did the story. The main character is extremely traumatized and the question is why. I did not suspect the ending, but it made sense. I would definitely read more from this author. ( )
  Woodardja | Jan 30, 2024 |
Quick page turner about a teenaged girl with a traumatic brain injury and some memory loss.

The surprise of the story wasn't a huge surprise to me but I enjoyed the story anyway.

Once again I'm left feeling that as an adult this book is just so-so. If I was part of the YA intended audience I probably would have enjoyed it more.
  hmonkeyreads | Jan 25, 2024 |
We were rich kids and there once was a king with three daughters… hum… it’s a depressing story and not much is happy but it’s worth a quick read. The writing is good but I’m just not sure about the story. ( )
  Spiritrider1101 | Jan 18, 2024 |
Of course I won't reveal the twists and turns of the cunning plot, but I can say that when the secret at the heart of the book is finally revealed, it turns out to be nastier and more shocking than anything I had imagined. This is a cunning, clever and absolutely gripping novel, full of surprises, which sent me straight back to its first page as soon as I reached the last.
added by souloftherose | editGuardian, Josh Lacey (Jul 5, 2014)

What really makes a book of the summer is when we surprise ourselves. It’s not just about being fascinated by a book. It’s about being fascinated by the fact that we’re fascinated.

The odds:4-1
We Were Liars
E. Lockhart
Pros: Rich people on an island; sharp, funny-sad writing; a head-snapping fourth­quarter reveal.
Cons: It’s a YA novel, so some adults might pass.

E. Lockhartprimary authorall editionscalculated
Meyers, AriadneNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Awards

Distinctions

Notable Lists

For Daniel
Welcome to the beautiful Sinclair family.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,682,012 books! | Top bar: Always visible