We Were Liars

by E. Lockhart

Series: We Were Liars (1)

Spending the summers on her family's private island off the coast of Massachusetts with her cousins and a special boy named Gat, teenaged Cadence struggles to remember what happened during her fifteenth summer.
    How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff (amysisson)
    amysisson: Although ultimately the books are different, the love felt by the viewpoint characters seems similar, and there is a certain unusual poetic quality to the writing. Both are glorious books.
    Liar by Justine Larbalestier (legxleg)
    legxleg: Both have unreliable teen narrators
    Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver (bluenotebookonline)
    We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson (Littlemissmops)
    Vanishing Girls by Lauren Oliver (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Every Last Word by Tamara Ireland Stone (kgriffith)

English (389)  Swedish (1)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (392)
Nice for a weekend read. ( )
  tonimeter | May 13, 2022 |
predictable - and i kinda just hated the main character and the whole family ( )
  Aubslynn22 | May 2, 2022 |
as a whole I enjoyed this very much, though it was a bit predictable after a point it is told beautifully. ( )
  chasingholden | Apr 26, 2022 |
Well-written, realistic suspense. Difficult to put down, although not my usual fare -- has some of the wonderful dialogue that I love but tells a terrible story. The fairy tales tag is because the main character tells herself fairy tales to find her way to the truth and to understand her family -- not because of any fairy tale elements. That is particularly well done. It's a smart book.

I wish someone would leave me a green toothbrush (with note) as a sign of their affection. ( )
  jennybeast | Apr 14, 2022 |
This was okay, but only okay. It features lots of scenes of young rich people who I didn't really care about suffering from terrible boredom and trying not to be like their parents. There is a twist that isn't bad, but also isn't that great and which loses its impact if you don't care about the characters (which I didn't). Some of the writing is good (I liked the fairy tale bits) but it quite often gets carried away with itself ("my feelings leaked out of my eyes"). Overall, easy enough to read (I read 90% of it in less than a day) and inoffensive, but nowhere near as good as the best of the "disillusioned young uns" genre (John Green, Less Than Zero, etc). Then again maybe 40 something men aren't the target audience. ( )
  whatmeworry | Apr 9, 2022 |
Of course I won't reveal the twists and turns of the cunning plot, but I can say that when the secret at the heart of the book is finally revealed, it turns out to be nastier and more shocking than anything I had imagined. This is a cunning, clever and absolutely gripping novel, full of surprises, which sent me straight back to its first page as soon as I reached the last.
added by souloftherose | editGuardian, Josh Lacey (Jul 5, 2014)

What really makes a book of the summer is when we surprise ourselves. It’s not just about being fascinated by a book. It’s about being fascinated by the fact that we’re fascinated.

The odds:4-1
We Were Liars
E. Lockhart
Pros: Rich people on an island; sharp, funny-sad writing; a head-snapping fourth­quarter reveal.
Cons: It’s a YA novel, so some adults might pass.

E. Lockhartprimary authorall editionscalculated
Meyers, AriadneNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

For Daniel
Welcome to the beautiful Sinclair family.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 169,984,237 books! | Top bar: Always visible