We Were Liars by E. Lockhart

We Were Liars

by E. Lockhart

Spending the summers on her family's private island off the coast of Massachusetts with her cousins and a special boy named Gat, teenaged Cadence struggles to remember what happened during her fifteenth summer.
    How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff (amysisson)
    amysisson: Although ultimately the books are different, the love felt by the viewpoint characters seems similar, and there is a certain unusual poetic quality to the writing. Both are glorious books.
    Liar by Justine Larbalestier (legxleg)
    legxleg: Both have unreliable teen narrators
    Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver (bluenotebookonline)
    We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson (Littlemissmops)
    Vanishing Girls by Lauren Oliver (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Every Last Word by Tamara Ireland Stone (kgriffith)

English (307)  Swedish (1)  All languages (308)
Whoa. I love this book, and I hate this book. I want to read it again, and I never ever want to read it again. ( )
  akbooks | Sep 12, 2019 |
RGG: Award winning, critically acclaimed, but since I figured out the twist early on, the book didn't live up to the hype to me. A cross between King Lear, Catcher in the Rye, and a John Green novel. The time jumps and italicized pseudo-fairy tales make this a bit of a difficult read. Reading Interest: 14-YA.
  rgruberexcel | Aug 24, 2019 |
Cady’s family is tall and blonde and has its own private island. The aunties and the grandkids and the packs of goldens loll about each summer, tennis serves growing more aggressive, the fudge from nearby Martha’s Vineyard more cloying, the silences deeper. In this, Cady’s seventeenth summer, she rejoins her family after taking a summer off following an accident that no one will talk about. ‘Be normal’ her mother says. Her cousins, her love, - the Liars - no one wants to push her into remembering. But they do want to push her to see the truth about privilege and advantage; to be a little kinder than she has to. ( )
  Seafox | Jul 24, 2019 |
The ending completely surprised me. A quick read that kept me turning pages until I was done.
  Beth.Clarke | Jun 28, 2019 |

I enjoyed it. The style of prose is quite lovely. However, I didn’t get the big surprise at the end like most people are saying they got. I figured it out about half way through.

I’m not sure if I figured it out because it’s been done before in a favourite work of mine ... or because I write in a similar genre (which I think makes me recognize certain things an author drops in a plot rather deliberately.)

So ... it was a good read. I found I didn’t have much sympathy for the main character, but perhaps I wasn’t supposed to. The author presents a group of young people who seem quite oblivious to the real world around them. ( )
  Charlotte_Kinzie | Jun 20, 2019 |
Of course I won't reveal the twists and turns of the cunning plot, but I can say that when the secret at the heart of the book is finally revealed, it turns out to be nastier and more shocking than anything I had imagined. This is a cunning, clever and absolutely gripping novel, full of surprises, which sent me straight back to its first page as soon as I reached the last.
added by souloftherose | editGuardian, Josh Lacey (Jul 5, 2014)

What really makes a book of the summer is when we surprise ourselves. It’s not just about being fascinated by a book. It’s about being fascinated by the fact that we’re fascinated.

The odds:4-1
We Were Liars
E. Lockhart
Pros: Rich people on an island; sharp, funny-sad writing; a head-snapping fourth­quarter reveal.
Cons: It’s a YA novel, so some adults might pass.

E. Lockhartprimary authorall editionscalculated
Meyers, AriadneNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Daniel
Welcome to the beautiful Sinclair family.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,749,342 books! | Top bar: Always visible