The Lovely Bones (2002)

by Alice Sebold

This is the tale of family, memory, love, and living told by 14-year-old Susie Salmon, who is already in heaven. Through the voice of a precocious teenage girl, Susie relates the awful events of her death and builds out of her family's grief a hopeful and joyful story.
    Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson (Maiasaura)
    The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd (leahsimone)
    White Oleander by Janet Fitch (leahsimone)
    The Little Friend by Donna Tartt (KayCliff)
    KayCliff: Both books display the effects on a family of the murder of a child.
    The Deep End of the Ocean by Jacquelyn Mitchard (WildMaggie)
    Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver (Jen7waters)
    The Book of Fred by Abby Bardi (Bookmarque)
    Bookmarque: Not as sentimental as this. A very good coming of age novel.
    The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom (Headinherbooks_27)
    Unstolen by Wendy Jean (lucyknows)
    lucyknows: The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold may be paired withUnstolen by Wendy Jean. Both novels deal with death and crime and how it affects the families left behind
    The Age of Miracles by Karen Thompson Walker (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Despite differences in plot -- a teenager's post-murder afterlife in The Lovely Bones, and civilization's slow, steady collapse in the aftermath of disaster in The Age of Miracles -- the thoughtful young heroines of these melancholy, haunting stories are similar to one another.… (more)
    Shade by Neil Jordan (ShelfMonkey)
    Elsewhere by Gabrielle Zevin (jbarry)
    The September Sisters by Jillian Cantor (meggyweg)
    A Map of the World by Jane Hamilton (TheFlamingoReads)
    TheFlamingoReads: A melancholy story of how people deal with the death of a child.
    Atonement by Ian McEwan (RocknRain)
    La fortuna de Matilda Turpin by Álvaro Pombo (albavirtualy)
    The Mercy of Thin Air by Ronlyn Domingue (cataylor)
    cataylor: Story is told by a character from the afterlife
    Where I Want to Be by Adele Griffin (jbarry)
    jbarry: touching arration from heaven
    La mirada del otro by Fernando G Delgado (albavirtualy)
    Lark by Tracey Porter (kaledrina)

“My name is Salmon, like the fish; first name, Susie. I was fourteen when I was murdered.”

Being a massive fan of the film adaptation of this book starring Saoirse Ronan, I wonder why it took me so long to read the book. It finally happened, though, and it was just as good as the film, if not better. Of course, the book has more details and subplots and it was great getting to know what was 'missing' in the story. Reading The Lovely Bones, to me, was like having a big bonus story at the end of a book but in this case, a bonus to the film.
This is not an easy book and it's not for everyone as it deals with loss, murder and other difficult topics but people who like family stories and thrillers should give it a chance.

“Each time I told my story, I lost a bit, the smallest drop of pain. It was that day that I knew I wanted to tell the story of my family. Because horror on Earth is real and it is every day. It is like a flower or like the sun; it cannot be contained.”

_Marcia_94_ | Sep 21, 2021 |
This book is amazingly different! Started on a chilling note, lukewarm midway and ended with a twist! Definitely a WTF moment for me 😂

Here's my full review:
http://www.sholee.net/2017/06/mpov-lovely-bones.html ( )
  Sholee | Sep 9, 2021 |
This was sad and I liked the story, but I didn't like the way it was written. It was written well but it very wordy in parts, which made me lose focus.
I liked the characters, the plot, and Sebold's take on heaven. ( )
1 vote DoomLuz | Jul 20, 2021 |
aftermath of a girl's murder on her family and friends as told by her spirit
  ritaer | Jul 10, 2021 |
Adult fiction. I listened to this one on playaway and it was not narrated by the author (as the other recording is), but by the brilliant (BRILLIANT!) Alyssa Bresnahan. ( )
  reader1009 | Jul 3, 2021 |
Sebold's compelling and sometimes poetic prose style and unsparing vision transform Susie's tragedy into an ultimately rewarding novel.
added by bell7 | editLibrary Journal (Aug 25, 2009)

Although some sections tend toward melodrama... other passages are dreamy and lyrical. Most striking is Sebold's mastery of a teenager's voice, from such small details as Susie's Strawberry-Banana Kissing Potion to her completely believable thought processes.

An extraordinary, almost-successful debut that treats sensational material with literary grace, narrated from heaven by the victim of a serial killer and pedophile.
added by bell7 | editKirkus Reviews (Aug 1, 2002)

Don't start "Lovely Bones" unless you can finish it. The book begins with more horror than you could imagine, but closes with more beauty than you could hope for.

Sebold takes an enormous risk in her wonderfully strange début novel: her narrator, Susie Salmon, is dead—murdered at the age of fourteen by a disturbed neighbor—and speaks from the vantage of Heaven. Such is the author's skill that from the first page this premise seems utterly believable... If in the end she reaches too far, the book remains a stunning achievement.
added by Shortride | editThe New Yorker (Jul 15, 2002)

Alice Seboldprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bresnahan, AlyssaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Always, Glen
My name was Salmon, like the fish; first name, Susie.
Inside the snow globe on my father's desk, there was a penguin wearing a red-and-white-striped scarf.
These were the lovely bones that had grown around my absence: the connections—sometimes tenuous, sometimes made at great cost, but often magnificent—that happened after I was gone. And I began to see things in a way that let me hold the world without me in it. The events my death brought were primarily that the bones of a body that would become whole at some unpredictable time in the future. The price of what I came to see as this miraculous lifeless body had been my life.

The Lovely Bones is a moving exploration of loss and mourning that ultimately puts its faith in the living made even more powerful by a cast of convincing characters.

Hachette Book Group

8 editions of this book were published by Hachette Book Group.

Editions: 0316168815, 0316666343, 0316166685, 1600240682, 0316001821, 0316044407, 0316044938, 160024842X

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,475,973 books! | Top bar: Always visible