Love Story by Erich Segal

Love Story (1970)

by Erich Segal

Series: Oliver Barrett (1)

2,320484,082 (3.34)79

English (43)  French (1)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  Catalan (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (48)
3.5 stars

Oliver is a hockey player at an ivy league college. Jenny works in the library. Oliver is rich; Jenny is not. Yet, they still fall in love. However, we know from the first sentence that Jenny will die young.

This was surprisingly short! I thought I’d seen the movie years ago, but now I’m not sure; it’s possible I only saw bits and pieces. I think it would have been nice if things hadn’t moved so quickly in the story, if the reader had more time to get to know Oliver and Jenny. I thought the end would devastate me, even knowing how it ended, but it didn’t. It was still a good story, overall, but I guess I just expected a bit more. ( )
  LibraryCin | Mar 3, 2019 |
A little basic and simplistic, but a heartfelt yarn nonetheless. ( )
  DanielSTJ | Dec 17, 2018 |
I really loved the book, well written. Didn't care for the cussing, but it's not that bad. I could never talk to someone I loved the way Jenny talks to Oliver and then he becomes like her in that sarcastic humor.Made me cry at the end, just as the movie had done. Found myself wishing they had more time together ( )
  Kimber78 | Oct 25, 2018 |
Erich Segal's "Love Story" is a short novel. Segal writes in a clear and concise manner. The opening is engaging, "What do you say about a 25 year old girl who died?" And then on he describes her with loving words and flashback to how he first met Jenny. The story is well-written and it progresses quickly but I am not emotionally engaged or moved. I did not cry when Jenny died. I saw the movie version made circa 1979, and I watched the whole movie but I was not moved emotionally. Maybe the story is told by a man, there is an emotional element that is missing for me. I do not think "love means never having to say you're sorry." If you done me wrong, please apologize profusely! ( )
  majestic131 | Feb 26, 2018 |
Loved this story ... Also loved the movie ... This is a favorite of mine ... and always will be! ( )
  KPhotoWrtr2 | Sep 12, 2017 |

Segal, ErichAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hernández, RamónTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Sylvia Herscher and John Flaxman
...namque...solebatis
Meas ess aliquid putare nugas.
What can you say about a twenty-five-year-old girl who died?
"Love means never having to say that you're sorry" Jenny
"What the hell makes you so smart?" I asked.
"I wouldn't go for coffee with you," she answered.
"Listen—I wouldn't ask you."
"That, "she replied "is what makes you stupid."
"He had then warned his daughter not to violate the Eleventh Commandment.
"Which one is that?" I asked her.
"Do not bullshit thy father," she said."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0380017601, Mass Market Paperback)

Oliver Barrett IV, a wealthy jock from a stuffy WASP family on his way to a Harvard degree and a career in law . . . Jenny Cavilleri, a sharp-tongued, working-class beauty studying music at Radcliffe . . .

Opposites in nearly every way, Oliver and Jenny are kindred spirits from vastly different worlds. Falling deeply and powerfully, their attraction to one another defies everything they have ever believed—as they share a passion far greater than anything they dreamed possible . . . and explore the wonder of a love that must end too soon.

One of the most adored novels of our time, this is the book that defined a generation—a story of uncompromising devotion, of life as it really is . . . and love that changes everything.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:57 -0400)

The story of the relationship between Harvard law student Oliver Barrett IV and Radcliffe music student Jenny Cavilleri. Explores how these apparent opposites fall in love and how their relationship tragically ends.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,547,638 books! | Top bar: Always visible