Love Story (1970)

by Erich Segal

Series: Oliver Barrett (1)

The Phenomenal National Bestseller and Enduring Classic He is Oliver Barett IV, a rich jock from a stuffy WASP family on his way to a Harvard degree and a career in law. She is Jenny Cavilleri, a wisecracking working-class beauty studying music at Radcliffe. Opposites in nearly every way, Oliver and Jenny immediately attract, sharing a love that defies everything ... yet will end too soon. Here is a love that will linger in your heart now and forever.… (more)

English (47)  Spanish (3)  French (1)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (54)
I thought this story was brilliant. It’s short and easy to read. The characters are stereotypical rich Harvard boy, Oliver Barrett IV, meets poor girl, Jenny Cavilleri, and yet it’s so much more than that. It is a love story, where the love is something simple and true and the characters and their situation are the complication. Two people meet, and despite their opposite natures and backgrounds, fall in love. When the love is tested, it shows a refreshing honest feeling approach to how individuals come together to express their needs and problems within the relationship.

It’s also a story about a different sort of love, the love that a father has for their child and that which a child has for their father. The two children each have different relationships with their fathers, and with their partner’s fathers. Each has its own problems and each has a different solution. To me, it is this dynamic that makes the book.

The style of writing is refreshing. Short chapters capture single events drawing a pattern of emotions. Each emotion builds on the one that went before. Each scene is relevant. It’s light and amusing, and yet gets deep inside you.

I would wholeheartedly recommend this book to anybody who has loved.
  KittyCatrinCat | Aug 29, 2021 |
I havent read a lot of books that have an absolutely catchy beginning and and absolutely catchy ending. Must have read it 15 yrs back and i still know the first line and the last line so all i can say is that's amazing
  deepatarak | Jun 29, 2021 |
The stars are for the movie. Please don't tell me this movie is crap. Actually stuff like that, stuff like Romeo and Juliet, people- in-love-and-it-matters-to-them happens all the time. It just doesn't happen to people who think it's crap. That's obvious when you think about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8kzX4_VH6k ( )
  bringbackbooks | Jun 16, 2020 |
I couldn't stand the way Oliver spoke to Jenny. I had to draw a line. I tried to hate-read my way to the end, but I just couldn't make it happen.
  ChelseaMcE | Mar 19, 2020 |
Novel made into a movie...only reason tor read it. ( )
  Karen74Leigh | Sep 4, 2019 |

Segal, Erichprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hernández, RamónTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Sylvia Herscher and John Flaxman
...namque...solebatis
Meas ess aliquid putare nugas.
What can you say about a twenty-five-year-old girl who died?
"Love means never having to say that you're sorry" Jenny
"What the hell makes you so smart?" I asked.
"I wouldn't go for coffee with you," she answered.
"Listen—I wouldn't ask you."
"That, "she replied "is what makes you stupid."
"He had then warned his daughter not to violate the Eleventh Commandment.
"Which one is that?" I asked her.
"Do not bullshit thy father," she said."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,322,875 books! | Top bar: Always visible