The Voyage of the Dawn Treader by C. S.…
    The Dragon of Mith by Kate Walker (bookel)
    The Maze by Peni R. Griffin (bookel)
    The Odyssey by Homer (darlingtrk)
    darlingtrk: Dawn Treader follows the Quest archetype, and Homer is the archetypal example.
    Runestone by Anna Ciddor (bookel)
    A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle (krizia_lazaro)

English (143)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Finnish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (150)
Part of “The Chronicles of Narnia” series, “The Voyage of the Dawn Treader” was written between January and February 1950 and published on September 15, 1952. “The Voyage of the Dawn Treader” sees Edmund and Lucy Pevensie, along with their priggish cousin, Eustace Scrubb, return to Narnia. Once there, they join Caspian's voyage on the ship Dawn Treader to find the seven lords who were banished when Miraz took over the throne. This perilous journey brings them face to face with many wonders and dangers as they sail toward Aslan's country at the edge of the world.

Original date: 1952 ( )
  faithfilly | Jan 30, 2016 |
This was a strong book. Very good. Absolutely fantastic. What made it so good was the character development of Eustace and the great stories and adventures of the Dawn Treader. There was new world building with Sea People, dragons, and mysticism that expanded the Narnia universe. Lucy and Edmond will not be returning, which seems to imply that Eustace will be taking the reins from here. We got to see the end of the world, and learn where Aslan's country is, even though we didn't get to see it. The only part about the story I found a bit childish, was a "dragon's treasure". Outside of that, I loved every minute of it. ( )
  atoponce | Jan 29, 2016 |
Having recently seen the film, and then after reading 'Planet Narnia', I thought it was about time I read this book which apparently I haven't read for at least twelve years. It's one I read regularly as a child, although I often used to miss out one particularly frightening chapter.

The story is about Edmund, Lucy and their irritatingly smug cousin Eustace. He refuses to believe in Narnia... until a picture comes to life and they find themselves on board the 'Dawn Treader'. There Edmund and Lucy are reunited with their old friend Caspian who is on a quest to find seven lost Telmarine lords. Their adventures take them to several islands, and eventually to the end of the world: Aslan's country.

As well as some scary parts, there is an amusing chapter about some strange creatures whose name ends up as 'Dufflepuds', a thought-provoking scene Eustace becomes less unpleasant, and a very moving final part of the story where Reepicheep leaves the ship's company to meet his fate. There's also a powerful scene where Aslan appears as a Lamb; this was the spot at which, about forty years ago, I suddenly understood the Christian metaphors contained in the series.

The writing is excellent, the story fast-paced, and the book so much better than the film. Still, if nothing else, the film should prompt more sales of this book, making it more widely available to today's young readers.

Highly recommended. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
My favorite of the lot so far. The consequences of our actions and the grace made available come through loud and clear. Plus it's a great adventure story with fun tales and neat stops along the way. My children enjoyed it and so did I. That's a good deal. ( )
  memlhd | Jan 23, 2016 |
  memlhd | Jan 23, 2016 |
As in many other of Mr. Lewis' books, one finds a strong poetic sense and awareness of the loveliness and mystery of a universe which cannot be wholly grasped by common sense.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times Book Review, Chad Walsh (pay site) (Nov 16, 1952)

C. S. Lewisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Jacobi, Sir DerekNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Neckenauer, UllaÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Van Allsburg, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Geoffrey Barfield
There was a boy called Eustace Clarence Scrubb, and he almost deserved it.
And then all the schoolboys joined in because they also liked processions and felt that the more noise and disturbance there was the less likely they would be to have any school that morning.
What awaited them on this island was going to concern Eustace more than anyone else, but it cannot be told in his words because after September 11 he forgot about keeping his diary for a long time.
Unabridged. Please do NOT combine with any abridged editions.
Please do NOT combine "The Voyage of the Dawn Treader" with "The Chronicles of Narnia"

Lucy and Edmund, with their dreadful cousin Eustace, get magically pulled into a painting of a ship at sea. That ship is the Dawn Treader, and on board is Caspian, King of Narnia. He and his companions, including Reepicheep, the valiant warrior mouse, are searching for seven lost lords of Narnia, and their voyage will take them to the edge of the world. Their adventures include being captured by slave traders, a much-too-close encounter with a dragon, and visits to many enchanted islands, including the place where dreams come true.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0020442602, Paperback)

Book 3 in the Chronicles of Narnia.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:42 -0400)

Lucy, Edmund, and their peevish cousin Eustace travel with Prince Caspian aboard his ship, the Dawn Treader.

Legacy Library: C. S. Lewis

C. S. Lewis has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See C. S. Lewis's legacy profile.

See C. S. Lewis's author page.

HarperCollins Childrens Books

5 editions of this book were published by HarperCollins Childrens Books.

Editions: 0061714976, 0061992887, 0061969052, 0061969060, 0061969079

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,231,213 books! | Top bar: Always visible