The Voyage of the Dawn Treader by C. S.…

The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (1952)

by C. S. Lewis

12,705None183 (4.07)264
Recently added byDihudd, private library, Kirstie_Innes-Will, Kitamura, mhmr, jfclark, Carmela_123, EmilyKM, aancevski
20th century (74) adventure (141) allegory (150) British (96) C.S. Lewis (230) children (270) children's (464) children's fiction (151) children's literature (218) Christian (141) Christian Fiction (74) Christianity (128) Chronicles of Narnia (188) classic (190) classics (124) fantasy (2,235) fiction (1,435) juvenile (90) Lewis (78) literature (106) magic (115) Narnia (855) novel (126) own (71) paperback (73) read (201) religion (119) series (281) YA (131) young adult (238)

English (118)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Finnish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (125)
Putting on my 'Childhood Favorites' shelf is a misnomer, as I never read this as a child. Again, with the silly Christian undertones. Then end where Aslan tells Lucy she will never return to Narnia (riiiiiiight) but she will know him under another name in her own world, that's why she had to meet him in Narina... hmmm... what could that name be?

I think it's nearly criminal to feed such loosely veiled propaganda to our (any!) unknowing child. If Christianity is the 'One True Faith' then children will find it (as cognizant adults) without being duped or brainwashed. Ick.
2 vote steadfastreader | Mar 18, 2014 |
We take voyage to the right hand side of the map, and the sea is filled with wonders. I liked this book, perhaps the second best Narnia tale, and I always will. It was the first nudge that I received in the exploration of medieval literature.
This is the Narnia book with Pauline Baynes' greatest illustration, "The heartbroken Dragon"! ( )
  DinadansFriend | Feb 26, 2014 |
A slight book. Some of the adventures were interesting, but it didn't hold together as a story. And Aslan laid it on pretty thick there at the end, didn't he?

I really don't know what to do with Lewis's snide implication that being a vegetarian/pacifist/progressive makes you a horrible person and parent. Blecch. ( )
  thatotter | Feb 6, 2014 |
The usual mixture of very clever and humorous writing and really creepy Christian message. It's a bit more overt this time around as Aslan explains that he is in Lucy's world as well (but by a different name).

C.S. Lewis was a conservative (in the modern sentence of Christian values) so the parents and school of Eustace Scrubb come in for a few snide comments. C.S. Lewis keeps it up in the next book, "The Silver Chair".

Reepicheep's swagger is fun. ( )
  themulhern | Oct 20, 2013 |
Each Narnia book gets better and better. In this case we are introduced to Eustace Scrubb, a thoroughly unpleasant cousin of Edmond and Lucy.

They all go to Narnia, have adventures with Caspian and then go back to England.

I find it amazing how simple and concise these stories are and yet just how engaging and wonderful at the same time. I would find myself thinking "Well, what if..., or How would this..." and I would have to pull myself back and remember that Lewis was writing this primarily for children.

And yet I was never bored, nor did I ever roll my eyes at a simplification. This was great writing. And it really shows. ( )
  Bookstooge | Sep 26, 2013 |
As in many other of Mr. Lewis' books, one finds a strong poetic sense and awareness of the loveliness and mystery of a universe which cannot be wholly grasped by common sense.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times Book Review, Chad Walsh (pay site) (Nov 16, 1952)

C. S. Lewisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hämäläinen, KyllikkiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jacobi, Sir DerekNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Van Allsburg, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Geoffrey Barfield
There was a boy called Eustace Clarence Scrubb, and he almost deserved it.
And then all the schoolboys joined in because they also liked processions and felt that the more noise and disturbance there was the less likely they would be to have any school that morning.
What awaited them on this island was going to concern Eustace more than anyone else, but it cannot be told in his words because after September 11 he forgot about keeping his diary for a long time.
Unabridged. Please do NOT combine with any abridged editions.
Please do NOT combine "The Voyage of the Dawn Treader" with "The Chronicles of Narnia"

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0020442602, Paperback)

Book 3 in the Chronicles of Narnia.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:53:43 -0400)

Lucy, Edmund, and their peevish cousin Eustace travel with Prince Caspian aboard his ship, the Dawn Treader.

Legacy Library: C. S. Lewis

C. S. Lewis has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See C. S. Lewis's legacy profile.

See C. S. Lewis's author page.

Five editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

HarperCollins Childrens Books

Four editions of this book were published by HarperCollins Childrens Books.

Editions: 0061992887, 0061969052, 0061969060, 0061969079

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,485,924 books! | Top bar: Always visible