The Curious Incident of the Dog in the…

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time (2003)

by Mark Haddon

Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes (Cecrow, unlucky)
    Cecrow: A similar narrator, who undergoes a startling transformation.
    Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer (Miss-Owl)
    The Speed of Dark by Elizabeth Moon (tortoise, MyriadBooks, Lucy_Skywalker)
    tortoise: Both are well-written novels with a first-person autistic-spectrum narrator. The Curious Incident has a better-constructed plot (the villain in The Speed of Dark is a bit cartoonish), but The Speed of Dark is I think more interesting as a commentary on autism.… (more)
    MyriadBooks: Undeservedly overshadowed by the concurrent publication of The Curious Incident, I found The Speed of Dark superior in every respect.
    Lucy_Skywalker: Speed of Dark is indeed superior in every respect: plot, characters, writing style, and the author has a better understanding of autistic people being the mother of one of them.
    Born on a Blue Day: Inside the Extraordinary Mind of an Autistic Savant: A Memoir by Daniel Tammet (_Zoe_)
    _Zoe_: The autobiography of an autistic man, offering insight into his thought processes and the difficulties that he faced
    The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne (JeaniusOak)
    JeaniusOak: Both equally readable by adults and teens alike
    Motherless Brooklyn by Jonathan Lethem (jeanned)
    Look Me in the Eye: My Life with Asperger's by John Elder Robison (kaelirenee)
    Marcelo In The Real World by Francisco Stork (jbarry)
    The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley (santli)
    santli: A young female protagonist who also stumbles across a strange murder and uses her prodigious knowledge of science to sleuth the answer.
    The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion (aliklein)
    Wonder by R. J. Palacio (bookwren)
    bookwren: Wonder is about a boy with a physical deformity who must interact with people who don't always understand him.
    The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (Anonymous user)
    Lottery by Patricia Wood (suzanney, chndlrs)
    Eye Contact by Cammie McGovern (Booksloth)
    The Dead Fathers Club by Matt Haig (Booksloth)
    The Solitude of Prime Numbers by Paolo Giordano (Johanna11)
    The Earth Hums in B Flat by Mari Strachan (cbl_tn)
    cbl_tn: The protagonists in both books imagine themselves as detectives. Both characters are accurate observers, but because they think differently than most people, they don't perceive the implications or consequences of their discoveries.
    Ellen Foster by Kaye Gibbons (petterw)
    petterw: Similarly, Ellen Foster tells a story in the voice of a child, and the reader must fill in the blanks.
    Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend by Matthew Dicks (silva_44)
    Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper (bookwren)
    bookwren: Out of My Mind reveals the thoughts and feelings of a girl with cerebral palsy.

Read (59)

English (1,126)  Spanish (19)  Dutch (15)  Italian (5)  French (5)  Catalan (5)  German (4)  Norwegian (2)  Romanian (1)  Korean (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Hungarian (1)  Finnish (1)  Danish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (1,188)
A very good book. The author has managed to write a book that is both tragic and sad but hopeful and inspiring. ( )
  nebula21 | Jan 13, 2019 |
Christopher is a 15 year old with Aspergers. He loves maths, patterns and lists but finds human emotion hard to decipher. He writes an account of the mystery of his neighbour's dog's death. Painful and funny account of the journey his investigation takes him and what he learns along the way. ( )
  AccyP | Jan 13, 2019 |
Christopher Boone, the autistic 15-year-old narrator of this revelatory novel, relaxes by groaning and doing math problems in his head, eats red-but not yellow or brown-foods and screams when he is touched. Strange as he may seem, other people are far more of a conundrum to him, for he lacks the intuitive "theory of mind" by which most of us sense what's going on in other people's heads. When his neighbor's poodle is killed and Christopher is falsely accused of the crime, he decides that he will take a page from Sherlock Holmes (one of his favorite characters) and track down the killer. As the mystery leads him to the secrets of his parents' broken marriage and then into an odyssey to find his place in the world, he must fall back on deductive logic to navigate the emotional complexities of a social world that remains a closed book to him.

I loved this book. It was smartly written, and really gave you an idea of what it would be like inside the mind of a person who is autistic. At one point Christopher says "this book will not be funny. I cannot tell jokes because I do not understand them". I have cared for several higher functioning kids over my nursing career, and this has been true for all of them that I know. These kids didn't get jokes. And they didn't understand sayings like "that is water under the bridge". Those kids had me thinking on how to communicate to them so they would understand and be comfortable.

The autism world is complex. There is side a spectrum that I would never begin to believe that you could lump all autistic people into a certain set of characteristics. But this book did a great job in showing what it was like for Christopher - a person with autism. And the play was fantastic. ( )
  JenMat | Jan 10, 2019 |
This book has received reviews ranging from love it to hate it. I don't understand the hate its. Do they believe these personality disorders don't exist? Do they feel threatened by the idea of them? I don't know. I'm one of the many who loved it.
Told from the point of view of a fifteen-year old boy with Aspergers, it gives a great insight into the way someone with this condition thinks and feels, better than any text-book explanation. It also doesn't pull any punches about the effect such a condition can have on other family members, in this case the parents, whose marriage fractures largely as a result of dealing with the boy day by day.
The book is also well written and lucid and an enjoyable read. ( )
  IMSauman | Dec 31, 2018 |
Story of autistic boy in England and his day to day challenges in life, in school, and in his relationships with his parents. The story is narrated by Christopher, a severely autistic boy, and most of the narration reflects the condition with overly detailed descriptions, all of which are very literal. I found this to be a bit tedious, although I know people who love this book (it was selected as a PBS Best Loved Novels book) point to this as its strength. While I thought this technique was interesting, it did become tedious after a while. Christopher lives in a fairly dysfunctional family, and his life is filled with turmoil, but the story ends happily. He has reached most of his goals, including who killed a dog whose death we’re shown in the beginning of the story. ( )
  DanDiercks | Nov 21, 2018 |
Mark Haddon specialises in innovative storylines in his work as an author, screenwriter and illustrator allied to his remarkable ability to demonstrate what it is to be autistic without sentimentality or exaggeration allied to a creative use of puzzles, facts and photographs in the text mark him out as a real talent drawing on a range of abilities.

As Christopher investigates Wellington's death, he makes some remarkably brave decisions and when he eventually faces his fears and moves beyond his immediate neighborhood, the magnitude of his challenge and the joy in his achievement are overwhelming. Haddon creates a fascinating main character and allows the reader to share in his world, experiencing his ups and downs and his trials and successes. In providing a vivid world in which the reader participates vicariously, Haddon fulfills the most important requirements of fiction, entertaining at the same time that he broadens the reader's perspective and allows him to gain knowledge. This fascinating book should attract legions of enthusiastic readers.

The imaginative leap of writing a novel -- the genre that began as an exercise in sentiment -- without overt emotion is a daring one, and Haddon pulls it off beautifully. Christopher's story is full of paradoxes: naive yet knowing, detached but poignant, often wryly funny despite his absolute humorlessness.

Haddon's book illuminates the way one mind works so precisely, so humanely, that it reads like both an acutely observed case study and an artful exploration of a different ''mystery'': the thoughts and feelings we share even with those very different from us.

Mark Haddon's stark, funny and original first novel, ''The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time,'' is presented as a detective story. But it eschews most of the furnishings of high-literary enterprise as well as the conventions of genre, disorienting and reorienting the reader to devastating effect.

Mark Haddonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Boutavant, MarcCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cardenas, AlejandroCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Carella, MariaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kaye, Michael IanCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pallemans, HarryTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tibber, BenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Woodman, JeffNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to Sos
With thanks to Kathryn Heyman, Clare Alexander, Kate Shaw and Dave Cohen
It was 7 minutes after midnight.
Wellington was a poodle. Not one of the small poodles that have hair styles but a big poodle.
I like dogs. You always know what a dog is thinking. It has four moods. Happy, sad, cross and concentrating. Also, dogs are faithful and they do not tell lies because they cannot talk.
All the other children at my school are stupid. Except I'm not meant to call them stupid, even though this is what they are.
Prime numbers are what is left when you have taken all the patterns away. I think prime numbers are like life. They are very logical but you could never work out the rules, even if you spent all your time thinking about them.
I think people believe in heaven because they don’t like the idea of dying, because they want to carry on living and they don’t like the idea that other people will move into their house and put their things into the rubbish.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0099450259, Paperback)

Mark Haddon's bitterly funny debut novel, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, is a murder mystery of sorts--one told by an autistic version of Adrian Mole. Fifteen-year-old Christopher John Francis Boone is mathematically gifted and socially hopeless, raised in a working-class home by parents who can barely cope with their child's quirks. He takes everything that he sees (or is told) at face value, and is unable to sort out the strange behavior of his elders and peers.

Late one night, Christopher comes across his neighbor's poodle, Wellington, impaled on a garden fork. Wellington's owner finds him cradling her dead dog in his arms, and has him arrested. After spending a night in jail, Christopher resolves--against the objection of his father and neighbors--to discover just who has murdered Wellington. He is encouraged by Siobhan, a social worker at his school, to write a book about his investigations, and the result--quirkily illustrated, with each chapter given its own prime number--is The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time.

Haddon's novel is a startling performance. This is the sort of book that could turn condescending, or exploitative, or overly sentimental, or grossly tasteless very easily, but Haddon navigates those dangers with a sureness of touch that is extremely rare among first-time novelists. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time is original, clever, and genuinely moving: this one is a must-read. --Jack Illingworth, Amazon.ca

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:22 -0400)

Despite his overwhelming fear of interacting with people, Christopher, a mathematically-gifted, autistic fifteen-year-old boy, decides to investigate the murder of a neighbor's dog and uncovers secret information about his mother.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,799,338 books! | Top bar: Always visible