dismiss

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas (2006)

by John Boyne

Bored and lonely after his family moves from Berlin to a place called "Out-With" in 1942, Bruno, the son of a Nazi officer, befriends a boy in striped pajamas who lives behind a wire fence.
    The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (Booksloth, frsantos)
    Night by Elie Wiesel (PghDragonMan)
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (JeaniusOak)
    JeaniusOak: Both equally readable by adults and teens alike
    The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank (JqnOC)
    Edelweiss Pirates: Operation Einstein by Mark A. Cooper (davidparsons)
    Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay (vvstokkom)
    vvstokkom: Ondanks dat het een zwaar onderwerp betreft, leest het net zo makkelijk weg.
    The Baker's Daughter by Sarah McCoy (vvstokkom)
    vvstokkom: Written from a point of view of a baker's daughter in Germany. If you liked The boy in the striped pyjama, you will love The Baker's Daughter.
    The Devil's Arithmetic by Jane Yolen (keeneam)
    I'm Not Scared by Niccolò Ammaniti (alalba)
    Number the Stars by Lois Lowry (sleepykid00)
    sleepykid00: Both taken place in WWII, but in different perspectives.
    Goodnight Mister Tom by Michelle Magorian (kiwiflowa)
    kiwiflowa: Another pre-teen book set in the same era.
    Mister Pip by Lloyd Jones (Booksloth)
    I am David by Anne Holm (kiwiflowa)
    kiwiflowa: Another pre-teen book about the same topic.
    Room by Emma Donoghue (soffitta1)
    soffitta1: What connects the books, for me, is the way the story unfolds, with the reader being more clued in as to what is happening around the child at the centre.
    Patterns of Childhood by Christa Wolf (Cecrow)
    Edelweiss Pirates: The Edelweiss Express by Mark A. Cooper (Clivewatkins)
    Briar Rose by Jane Yolen (Cecrow)
    One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Alexander Solzhenitsyn (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: An intense look at one day in the life of a political prisoner in a concentration camp like environment.
    Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein (keeneam)
    The Last Brother by Nathacha Appanah (joririchardson)
    joririchardson: Both books are about young boys who innocently befriend Jewish children imprisoned in concentration camps, without understanding the war or the Holocaust. I would highly recommend both books, especially "The Last Brother."

English (677)  Spanish (27)  Dutch (24)  German (14)  Catalan (10)  Portuguese (Portugal) (8)  Finnish (5)  Italian (2)  Portuguese (2)  French (2)  Danish (1)  Polish (1)  Norwegian (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (775)
I checked this book out from the library but will be buying my own copy. It's poetic, upsetting,engrossing and engaging. I felt immersed in the world and head of Bruno, the main character, transformed into a young boy just trying to make sense of how his life was changing and why grown-ups were behaving the way they were. He just wants a friend and a normal life. There's no mention of "holocaust" and there's even a gentle humor as Bruno misunderstands how to pronounce certain words that have become a seared part of history.

A must-must read. ( )
  jjpseattle | Aug 2, 2020 |
I was recommended to read this book not because of the subject matter but because the writing style was considered amazing and a great lesson in writing for an aspiring author. I don't read books about WWII concentration camps because they affect me too deeply, but since I respect the person who suggested this, I read the book. Well, I sort of read the book. I skimmed through most of the middle chapters not wanting to create a connection a with the characters because I was protecting my emotions given the subject matter and expected outcome.

Personally, I am sorry that I read the book and will better trust my own judgement over the advice of others. Just tells me that no one can know the depths of our souls better than ourselves.

Jolene.M | Jul 30, 2020 |
Irritating but the ending goes for the jugular. ( )
  piquareste | Jun 3, 2020 |
This book tells the story of a young boy who becomes friends with another young boy through a fence. What the reader doesn't initially realize is that this story is taking place is the reason that the fence is separating the two of them. One boy is very well off, has a rich family, a beautiful house and a father who is not a very nice man. The other boy has been brought here due to the orders of Hitler during WWII to exonerate the Jews. As the days go on the boys get closer and closer until eventually, the well off boy ends up on the other side of the fence and eventually in one of the gas chambers.

This book is extremely powerful and shows that just because your religion may be different from others around you, you are still a person and should be treated that way. It is geared towards older students, middle school/high school, and would work well as a tie into a history lesson about the Holocaust. There is also a film that goes along with it as well that would lend well to a book/movie comparison! ( )
  ashewert | Apr 27, 2020 |
It's very hard to review this book without spoilers. Although published as a children's book I think it's one that deserves to be read by adults too.

Set in WWII it's strength is in the things it doesn't say. It tells the story of Bruno who lives with his family in Berlin in what appears to be an idyllic life. One day his father gets a promotion and they move to the country isolated from everyone. Lost and lonely Bruno explores his surroundings and what he finds will change his life and that of his family for ever.
Yes obviously this couldn't actually have happened but in many ways to me that adds to the story rather than diminishing it.
A book which will stay with the reader long after its finished. ( )
  Northern_Light | Apr 25, 2020 |
"Powerful and unsettling.......As memorable an introduction to the subject as The Diary of Anne Frank."
added by cvosshans | editUSA Today (Sep 24, 2009)

"Deeply affecting......Beautiful and sparely written"
added by cvosshans | editThe Wall Street Journal (Sep 24, 2009)

added by ianreads | editThe Guardian, Kathryn Hughes (Jan 21, 2006)

Aunque el uso habitual de un texto como éste es describir las características de la obra, por una vez nos tomaremos la libertad de hacer una excepción a la norma establecida. No sólo porque el libro que tienes en tus manos es muy difícil de definir, sino porque estamos convencidos de que explicar su contenido estropearía la experiencia de la lectura. Creemos que es importante empezar esta novela sin saber de qué trata. No obstante, si decides embarcarte en la aventura, debes saber que acompañarás a Bruno, un niño de nueve años, cuando se muda con su familia a una casa junto a una cerca. Cercas como ésa existen en muchos sitios del mundo, sólo deseamos que no te encuentres nunca con una. Por último, cabe aclarar que este libro no es sólo para adultos; también lo pueden leer, y sería recomendable que lo hicieran, niños a partir de los trece años de edad.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

Escolhi ler este livro porque consegue abordar a época Nazi de uma forma simples, não deixando, no entanto, de ser cruel e realista. Foca a inocência de duas crianças, que apesar de pertencerem a culturas diferentes, conseguem viver uma amizade inocente num mundo ignorante. Recomendo-o pois ele consegue transmitir que somos todos seres humanos e que devemos ser respeitados independentemente dos nossos ideias, costumes e cultura, porque se não o fizermos podemos magoar quem realmente amamos.

John Boyneprimary authorall editionscalculated
Beck, LauraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jakobeit, BrigitteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jonge, Jenny deTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

For Jamie Lynch
One afternoon, when Bruno came home from school, he was surprised to find Maria, the family's maid - who always kept her head bowed and never looked up from the carpet - standing in his bedroom, pulling all his belongings out of the wardrobe and packing them in four large wooden crates, even the things he'd hidden at the back that belonged to him and were nobody else's business.

the best book ever

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,843,949 books! | Top bar: Always visible