Number the Stars (1989)

by Lois Lowry

In 1943, during the German occupation of Denmark, ten-year-old Annemarie learns how to be brave and courageous when she helps shelter her Jewish friend from the Nazis.

English (603)  German (1)  All languages (604)
Number the Stars is a classic award-winning book about the times of WWII. It is set in Denmark and tells the story of two families and the hardships and experiences they endured through WWII between the Germans and the Nazis. I read this book for the first time in fifth grade, and have kept it ever since with my original annotations. I would recommend this book to any of my History or English teachers. I read it as young as 10 years old, and the knowledge and awe of the book has stayed with me all this time. This is an excellent read for anyone. ( )
  KennedyWeldon | Mar 26, 2021 |
Number the Stars is a novel about a 10 year old girl, Annemarie Johansen's contribution to the resistance movement in Denmark during World War 2. Annemarie is faced with knowing that the Nazis are beginning to "relocate" the Jews in her city. This novel is great for junior high students to read, because it discusses real history that happened while giving an insight on what it would be like to be Jewish back in the 1940s. This book is eye opening and very insightful. ( )
  brytniewheeler | Nov 18, 2020 |
This is a story about a ten year old girl and her Jewish family as they escape from Denmark during World War II. ( )
  maggieschneider | Nov 16, 2020 |
The book describes the escape of a Jewish family from Copenhagen, Denmark during World War II. The story is centered around a ten-yea old girl named Annemariea who lives with her parents and her sister in 1943. ( )
  HaileyDelisle | Nov 15, 2020 |
Jan Mark (Carousel 15, Summer 2000)
Morally speaking, Denmark had a 'good war' after it surrendered to the Nazis in 1940. Notably absent from factual and fictional tales of derring-do, the very real heroism of its civilian population is celebrated in Lowry's quiet but stirring story, based on real events, which tell of one family's successful bid to send their Jewish friends to safety in neutral Sweden. Instead of comic-strip heroics with implausible intervention by implausible kids, she gives us a situation in which children must be included because they cannot be excluded, fearfully endangered but willing parties to an ethical struggle. The happy ending is entirely credible, even to those old enough to know what might have happened instead. Category: Older.
added by kthomp25 | editCarousel, Jan Mark

CCBC (Cooperative Children's Book Center Choices, 1989)
Ten-year-old Annemarie, living in occupied Denmark during World War 11, must test the limits of her own courage when she and her family assist their Jewish friends in their escape from the Nazis. Flawlessly interwoven into her personal account are details of the historic and heroic Movement in which Denmark, as a nation, successfully resisted the attempts of the Nazis to exterminate Danish Jews. With their varying degrees of knowledge, each character represents a model of courage in a fast-paced story about individual and collective response to evil. Honor book, 1989 CCBC Newbery Discussion. CCBC Category: Fiction For Young Readers. 1989, Houghton Mifflin, , $12.95. Ages 8-12.
added by kthomp25 | editCooperative Children's Book Center Choices

Lowry, Loisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brown, BlairNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Steinhöfel, AndreasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my friend Annelise Platt

Tusind tak
Mr. & Mrs. Leib Diogenes
"I'll race you to the corner, Ellen!" Annemarie adjusted the thick leather pack on her back so that her schoolbooks balanced evenly.
"It is important to be one of the crowd, always. Be one of many. Be sure that they never have reason to remember your face."
The whole world had changed. Only the fairy tales remained the same.
Dangers were no more than odd imaginings, like ghost stories that children made up to frighten one another: things that couldn’t possibly happen.
"It is much easier to be brave if you don't know everything. And so your mama doesn't know everything. Neither do I. We know only what we need to know."
"You will, little one. You saved her life, after all. Someday you will find her again. Someday the war will end," Uncle Henrik said. "All wars do.
Please do not combine the Literature Guides or "and related readings" with this work, thank you.

During World War II, Annemarie and her best friend face struggles in Denmark when the Nazis invade and Annemarie's and her best friend are Jews. Number the stars tells Annemarie's story as she struggles to deal with her life and her friendships during such a difficult time.

Available online at The Internet Archive:

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,022,108 books! | Top bar: Always visible