The Diary of a Young Girl (1947)

by Anne Frank

Other authors: Otto Frank (Editor)

Journal of a Jewish teenager describes the joys and torments of daily life and typical adolescent thoughts throughout two years spent in hiding with her family during the Nazi occupation of Holland.
    The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (kidzlitsmc, mihmb, alalba, PghDragonMan, l_rigsby)
    kidzlitsmc: this story of a German hiding a Jew and not a Jew being hidden helps you to understand that it wasn't just hard for Jews.
    PghDragonMan: Both side of hiding during the Holocaust
    Night by Elie Wiesel (jmarsico)
    We Are Witnesses: Five Diaries Of Teenagers Who Died In The Holocaust by Jacob Boas (MerryMary, gangleri)
    MerryMary: Puts Anne in perspective with four others of her generation in similar circumstances.
    A Hatred for Tulips by Richard Lourie (khuggard)
    khuggard: a fictional story about a young boy who reveals the hiding place of Anne Frank and her family.
    Anne Frank House: A Museum with a Story by Anne Frank Stichting (JqnOC)
    An Interrupted Life: The Diaries of Etty Hillesum 1941-43 by Etty Hillesum (christiguc)
    The Diary of Anne Frank: A Play in Two Acts by Frances Goodrich (Marie.Veliz)
    The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne (JqnOC)
    Mooie-zinnenboek by Anne Frank (guurtjesboekenkast)
    Parable of the Sower by Octavia E. Butler (amberwitch)
    amberwitch: Both told as diaries written by young women growing up 'under siege'.
    The Upstairs Room by Johanna Reiss (bookel)
    The Journal of Hélène Berr by Hélène Berr (guurtjesboekenkast)
    guurtjesboekenkast: Zowel Hélène Berr als Anne Frank zijn Joods en hebben een dagboek tijdens de oorlog geschreven. In 1945 zijn zij allebei aan tyfus overleden in het Duitse concentratiekamp Bergen-Belsen.
    The Diary of Dawid Sierakowiak. Five Notebooks from the Lodz Ghetto by Dawid Sierakowiak (bluepiano)
    bluepiano: Another diary kept by a Jewish teenager under Nazi occupation. Sierakowiak is remarkably intelligent and level-headed and he is starving.
    Victor Kugler: The Man Who Hid Anne Frank by Rick Kardonne (maryanntherese)
    maryanntherese: A biography of the man who orchestrated the Secret Annex.
    In My Hands: Memories of a Holocaust Rescuer by Irene Gut Opdyke (meggyweg)
    Charlotte Salomon. Leben? Oder Theater? by Edward van Voolen (JuliaMaria)
    JuliaMaria: Zwei junge Frauen, die versuchen dem Grauen schreibend bzw. malend zu entkommen.
    Grace in the Wilderness: After the Liberation 1945-1948 by Aranka Siegal (juniperSun)
    juniperSun: Both deal with young Jewish teen girls in WWII, similar feelings.
    Anne Frank's Tales from the Secret Annex by Anne Frank (Cecrow)
    Cecrow: Fiction written by Anne Frank while in hiding.
    East West Street by Philippe Sands (shaunie)
    Mist in augustus by Robert Domes (gangleri)
    gangleri: The right to live, the right to freedom are the most basic rights. « Nebel im August » (a book written in German) is about the live of Ernst Lossa whom was not granted this right either. The book is written in a very lyrical style, it illustrates that we have more in common then we are aware and reminds us what is really important.… (more)

1940s (4)
Elevenses (105)
Europe (27)
. (3)

English (422)  Spanish (13)  Italian (11)  German (6)  Dutch (6)  Catalan (4)  Swedish (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Portuguese (1)  Czech (1)  Latvian (1)  Hungarian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Turkish (1)  French (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (474)
This book changed my young life. Exterior to Everything Else, the Diary of a Young Girl is perhaps the most intimate account I have ever read, and the honesty with which it was written bleeds through every page. And then there’s the Everything Else.

It is heartbreaking. Truly, a bad book to read in a bad state — but downright mandatory reading if one wishes to experience, through literature, the recognition of the self in another. ( )
  AlunStokes | May 17, 2022 |
It's fascinating how exactly the same 13 year old girls in the '40s and '90s are... em, "were"?

Before Hitler's anti-Jewish acts have their effect on her, Anne Frank's diary starts exactly like every teenage diary ever - I assume. I mean, I only have mine to go by. Okay, every empty-headed but super fun* teenage girl's diary. *yes, I'm flattering myself.

She starts out hilariously:

I'll begin from the moment I got you, the moment I saw you lying on the table among my other birthday presents. (I went along when you were bought, but that doesn't count.)

... but understandably loses some of her humor later on. ( )
  brutalstirfry | May 6, 2022 |
Het Achterhuis is een erg bijzonder boek doordat het een heftig waargebeurd verhaal is. Het verhaal is in dagboekvorm geschreven, hierdoor is dit boek wel alleen geschikt voor de oudere kinderen. Het verhaal kan lastig te volgen zijn omdat je allemaal losse stukken leest in plaats van een lopend verhaal.
Dit boek is vooral fijn om te gebruiken in een projectweek over de Tweede Wereldoorlog. ( )
  noribouwens | Apr 22, 2022 |
Het boek is erg bijzonder, want het is echt gebeurd en het is ook een best heftig verhaal. Ik vind het persoonlijk niet zo leuk om dagboeken te lezen. Met een dagboek werk je niet ergens naar toe en lees je allemaal korte verhalen die niet altijd met elkaar te maken hebben. Het is wel interessant, want je leert meer over hoe het toen was voor joden. Daarom zou het voor leerlingen wel interessant kunnen zijn om te lezen. Er zijn geen illustraties, maar achterin het boek staan foto van de familie Frank. Daarnaast worden er soms lastige woorden in gebruikt en het is ook best een dik boek. Ik zou het boek dus aanraden voor kinderen van 11/12 jaar. ( )
  F.Burgers | Apr 6, 2022 |
I have read this book 3 times and I can't put into words how heartfelt, raw and utterly devastating this book was. I could relate to Anne Frank, she wrote her diary so beautiful and as I was reading it, it felt like her voice was brought to life once more. You need to read this at least once in your life. The first time I read it , I went into this not knowing the ending, not knowing the tragedy, so it hit me dam hard.
RIP Anne Frank and the rest of the people hiding in the secret annexe as well as the helpers and everyone who perished during that horrific time in history. ( )
  crazynerd | Mar 30, 2022 |
It is a truly remarkable book. Its revelation of the emotional turmoil and intellectual growth of an adolescent girl during extraordinarily difficult circumstances is psychologically fascinating. Its portrayal of ordinary people under frightful nervous strain and perpetual forced intimacy is wise and perceptive. Anne was precociously mature in her understanding of both herself and of others.

Anne Frank's diary is too tenderly intimate a book to be frozen with the label "classic," and yet no lesser designation serves... But her book is not a classic to be left on the library shelf. It is a warm and stirring confession, to be read over and over for insight and enjoyment.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times Book Review, Meyer Levin (pay site) (Jun 15, 1952)

Frank, Anneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stevens, GeorgePrefacesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vita, ArrigoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

Is an abridged version of

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

Has as a teacher's guide

I hope I shall be able to confide in you completely, as I have never been able to do in anyone before, and I hope that you will be a great support and comfort to me.
Foreword: Anne Frank kept a diary from June 12, 1942, to August 1, 1944.
[ Comment Added by Anne on September 28, 1942:]
So far you truly have been a great source of comfort to me, and so has Kitty, whom I now write to regularly.
I still believe, in spite of everything, that people are truly good at heart.
There are several distinct versions of Anne Frank's Diary. Please be careful when combining and separating.

The Definitive Editions and the Revised Critical Editions should not be combined with each other or with this group of editions.
This edition of Anne's diary is not a definitive version. Please combine only with older editions.

Il "Diario" della ragazzina ebrea che a tredici anni racconta gli orrori del Nazismo torna in una nuova edizione integrale, curata da Otto Frank e Mirjam Pressler, e nella versione italiana da Frediano Sessi, con la traduzione di Laura Pignatti e la prefazione dell'edizione del 1964 di Natalia Ginzburg. Frediano Sessi ricostruisce in appendice gli ultimi mesi della vita di Anna e della sorella Margot, sulla base delle testimonianze e documenti raccolti in questi anni.
(piopas)

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140264736, 0141315199, 0141336676

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,290,646 books! | Top bar: Always visible