dismiss

The Help by Kathryn Stockett

The Help (2009)

by Kathryn Stockett

24,940139185 (4.37)1 / 1155
In Jackson, Mississippi, in 1962, there are lines that are not crossed. With the civil rights movement exploding all around them, three women start a movement of their own, forever changing a town and the way women--black and white, mothers and daughters--view one another.
    The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd (Alliebadger, Alie, Neale, readysetgo)
    Neale: Both deal with racial issues and are slow moving but enjoyable
    The Color Purple by Alice Walker (Anonymous user)
    Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg (laytonwoman3rd)
    To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (jennyandaustin)
    I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou (olimamma)
    The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver (paulkid)
    paulkid: Race relations on different continents, told from multiple female perspectives.
    Saving CeeCee Honeycutt: A Novel by Beth Hoffman (susiesharp)
    Roots by Alex Haley (mcenroeucsb)
    The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot (krazy4katz)
    krazy4katz: Both works are written from the perspective of a white female who has to gain the trust of her subjects -- African Americans who have suffered before and during the civil rights era -- to tell their story. In the end, they become friends and everyone contributes to the small amount of progress being made.… (more)
    Mudbound by Hillary Jordan (teelgee, BookshelfMonstrosity, momofthreewi)
    Substitute Me by Lori Tharps (DDay)
    DDay: This recommendation might be a little out there, but this book is about a white couple in NYC who hire a young black woman to be their nanny. It's modern look at the issue of race and the role of domestic workers in a family. Sort of a chance to see how things have changed since the 60s and what issues are still present.… (more)
    Jubilee by Margaret Walker (MrsPeachum)
    Velva Jean Learns to Drive by Jennifer Niven (conceptDawg)
    Cold Rock River by J.L. Miles (bookwormteri)
    bookwormteri: Both deal with the disparity between the races in the 60s. The Help focuses more on the present (the 60's) while Cold Rock River is set in a more rural, less gentrified area with excerpts from a journal of a slave.
    The Bad Behavior of Belle Cantrell: A Novel by Loraine Despres (susiesharp)
    Your Blues Ain't Like Mine by Bebe Moore Campbell (mcenroeucsb)
    The Outer Banks House by Diann Ducharme (dawnlovesbooks)
    dawnlovesbooks: same themes of southern racism
    The Dry Grass of August by Anna Jean Mayhew (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: The Help is a moving novel about a young white woman who discovers the effects of racism on black women and their families in mid-1960s Mississippi; The Dry Grass of August portrays similar discoveries for a white teenage girl in the mid-1950s.… (more)
    The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison (krizia_lazaro)
    Jenniemae & James: A Memoir in Black and White by Brooke Newman (DetailMuse)
    DetailMuse: Black domestics in white households in civil rights-era USA.

1960s (66)

English (1,329)  Dutch (26)  Spanish (12)  French (7)  Catalan (4)  Finnish (3)  German (3)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Swedish (2)  Estonian (1)  Danish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (1,391)
Couldn't put this down -- a great, engaging read. Am curious what others thought of this one... ( )
  szbuhayar | May 24, 2020 |
What an outstanding novel!! I loved this story, and fell completely in love with (most of) these characters.

I've known about much of the things that happened in the media, at this time. But since we never had "help", or lived in this area of Miss., I had NO idea it could be this horrible for the people portrayed therein.. Yes, it made me mad. YES, it made me want to time-travel back, and make it - somehow- so that servitude never happened. The story, the characters, and the problems they went through stay with you for a long, long time.. and I sure didn't mind, at all !!

This is one of those few books that grabbed my emotions and interest so deeply that I could not stop thinking about the book when I would set it down to attend to other activities (like eating, sleeping & working!). I was engrossed and couldn't wait to read more, while at the same time savoring every chapter as the story developed.

It only took me 2-1/2 days to read it, but not because it's at ALL an easy read. I just could not wait to get back - the characters had become my friends, and I just HAD to know what happened next!! I do so wish there was more.... and I am having a hard time sinking completely into my next book. *sigh* ( )
  stephanie_M | Apr 30, 2020 |
This is a book written in the early days of the civil right movement in America. It concerns three main characters, Miss Skeeter, Aibileen & Minny.

Skeeter sells the idea of a book about the way that the maids are treated in the homes of the deep south having had her own maid leave without as much as a good bye. It is a struggle to get the maids to work with Miss Skeeter, but they are mostly persuaded to assist as the civl right movement gathers momentum. In amongst all this is Miss Skeeters relationship with a senators son, and the struggle with a Hilly, control freak in charge of the local fundraising League.

In all this the book gets written and published anonymously, and creates a massive stir across the south and the local community.

A powerful story that shines a light on the darkest points of Americas history.
Comment Comment | Permalink
  PDCRead | Apr 6, 2020 |
So glad I did I finally read this. Told in the viewpoints of two maids and a young woman aspiring to be a writer in 1960's Jackson, Mississippi, The Help was funny, difficult, suspenseful, sad and in the end hopeful. Excellent book. ( )
  LisaMorr | Feb 29, 2020 |
Skeeter Feelin grows up in a well-to-do family. In 1963 Mississippi, she has graduated from college and returned home to find that the woman who raised her, the family's maid Constantine, left suddenly. Wanting to be a writer, she undertakes a project that must be kept secret in her strongly segregated community. ( )
  lilibrarian | Jan 15, 2020 |
This is fun stuff, well-written and often applause-worthy. My only problem with The Help is that, in the end, it’s not really about the help.

I finished The Help in one sitting and enjoyed it very, very much. It’s wise, literate, and ultimately deeply moving, a careful, heartbreaking novel of race and family that digs a lot deeper than most novels on such subjects do.

As black-white race relations go, this could be one of the most important pieces of fiction since To Kill a Mockingbird... If you read only one book this summer, let this be it.

“Mississippi is like my mother,” [Stockett] writes in an afterword to “The Help.” And you will see, after your wrestling match with this problematic but ultimately winning novel, that when it comes to the love-hate familial bond between Ms. Stockett and her subject matter, she’s telling the truth.

Her pitch-perfect depiction of a country's gradual path toward integration will pull readers into a compelling story that doubles as a portrait of a country struggling with racial issues.

Kathryn Stockettprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ingrid VollanIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Svendsen, Birgitte VictoriaIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Van Bronswijk, InekeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Grandaddy Stockett, the best storyteller of all
Mae Mobley was born on a early Sunday morning in August, 1960.
De bus jakkert door State Street. We steken de Woodrow Wilson Bridge over en ik klem m'n kaken zo stijf op mekaar dat m'n tanden zowat breken. Ik voel dat bittere zaadje groeien in m'n binnenste, 't zaadje dat is geplant toen Treelore dood ging. Ik wil 't liefst zo hard gillen dat Baby Girl me kan horen dat smerig geen kleur is, dat ziekte niet de zwarte kant van de stad is. Ik wil voorkomen dat 't moment komt- en 't komt in 't leven van elk blank kind- dat ze begint te denken dat zwarten slechter zijn als blanken.
I always thought insanity would be a dark, bitter feeling, but it is drenching and delicious if you really roll around in it.
My face goes hot, my tongue twitchy.  I don't know what to say to her.  All I know is, I ain't saying it.  And I know she ain't saying what she want a say either and it's a strange thing happening here cause nobody saying nothing and we still managing to have us a conversation.
"Can't afford no air-conditioning. Them things eat currant like a boll weevil on cotton."
Constantine wrote to me on parchment paper that folded into an envelope.

Passionnant drôle et émouvant , La couleur des sentiments a conquis l'Amériques avec ses personnages inoubliables .Une jeune bourgeoise blanche et deux bonnes noires . Personne ne croiraient à leur amitié; moins encore la toléraient . Pourtant , poussées par une sourde envie de changer les choses , malgré la peur , elles vont unir leurs destins , et en grand secret écrire une histoire bouleversante . THE LIFE STORIES OF AFRICAN AMERICAN MAIDS LIVING IN ALABAMA BEFORE AND DURING THE CIVIL RIGHTS MOVEMENT.
Black women raise kids/of white women who make them/use separate toilets (LC Brooks)

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0241950805, 0241956536

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,215,694 books! | Top bar: Always visible