The Help (2009)

by Kathryn Stockett

25,973142586 (4.37)1 / 1160
In Jackson, Mississippi, in 1962, there are lines that are not crossed. With the civil rights movement exploding all around them, three women start a movement of their own, forever changing a town and the way women--black and white, mothers and daughters--view one another.
    The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd (Alliebadger, Alie, Neale, readysetgo)
    Neale: Both deal with racial issues and are slow moving but enjoyable
    The Color Purple by Alice Walker (Anonymous user)
    Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg (laytonwoman3rd)
    To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (jennyandaustin)
    I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou (olimamma)
    The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver (paulkid)
    paulkid: Race relations on different continents, told from multiple female perspectives.
    Saving CeeCee Honeycutt by Beth Hoffman (susiesharp)
    Roots by Alex Haley (mcenroeucsb)
    The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot (krazy4katz)
    krazy4katz: Both works are written from the perspective of a white female who has to gain the trust of her subjects -- African Americans who have suffered before and during the civil rights era -- to tell their story. In the end, they become friends and everyone contributes to the small amount of progress being made.… (more)
    Mudbound by Hillary Jordan (teelgee, BookshelfMonstrosity, momofthreewi)
    Substitute Me by Lori Tharps (DDay)
    DDay: This recommendation might be a little out there, but this book is about a white couple in NYC who hire a young black woman to be their nanny. It's modern look at the issue of race and the role of domestic workers in a family. Sort of a chance to see how things have changed since the 60s and what issues are still present.… (more)
    Velva Jean Learns to Drive by Jennifer Niven (conceptDawg)
    Jubilee by Margaret Walker (MrsPeachum)
    Cold Rock River by J.L. Miles (bookwormteri)
    bookwormteri: Both deal with the disparity between the races in the 60s. The Help focuses more on the present (the 60's) while Cold Rock River is set in a more rural, less gentrified area with excerpts from a journal of a slave.
    Jenniemae & James: A Memoir in Black and White by Brooke Newman (DetailMuse)
    DetailMuse: Black domestics in white households in civil rights-era USA.
    Bound South by Susan Rebecca White (infiniteletters)
    The Bad Behavior of Belle Cantrell: A Novel by Loraine Despres (susiesharp)
    The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison (krizia_lazaro)
    Your Blues Ain't Like Mine by Bebe Moore Campbell (mcenroeucsb)
    The Dry Grass of August by Anna Jean Mayhew (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: The Help is a moving novel about a young white woman who discovers the effects of racism on black women and their families in mid-1960s Mississippi; The Dry Grass of August portrays similar discoveries for a white teenage girl in the mid-1950s.… (more)

1960s (93)

English (1,358)  Dutch (26)  Spanish (11)  French (6)  Catalan (4)  German (4)  Swedish (3)  Finnish (3)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Estonian (1)  Italian (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (1,420)
Great story and endearing characters-- I missed them when I finished. ( )
  mbellucci | Apr 10, 2021 |
Might be more of a 4 star book rather than life changing 5 star, but I could not put it down! ( )
  curious_squid | Apr 5, 2021 |
Uh-huh.

Proper review to be added later this week. ( )
  sarahlh | Mar 6, 2021 |
Best book I've read in a long time. ( )
  PamS76 | Feb 17, 2021 |
Hmmm....
I want to...I don't know...it is just a hard subject to tackle and do it well from both sides.
I am not African American but I am from Texas (not really considered the South by Southerners or Texans but there are some similarities :) My guess is that most African Americans would understand the effort but not find this book satisfactory.
On my side, I am kind of getting sick of every female hero being some kind of hippie/feminist and a "writer." Stockett is more subtle than some authors. I understand the genre and occupation of being an author lends itself to certain personalities and viewpoints but the truth is that it is the women who stay behind that affect the most social change.
So once again we have a woman who "finds" herself, hides in the shadows, makes one big statement and goes to the big city to become a successful career woman = Hero. Not convinced. Meanwhile, it is her mother and friends she leaves behind who over the next decade will have to confront these deep social issues. If I keep going this could get too preachy so I'll just end saying that it was a good book but the stereotypes on both sides were too much ( )
  mcsp | Jan 25, 2021 |
This is fun stuff, well-written and often applause-worthy. My only problem with The Help is that, in the end, it’s not really about the help.

I finished The Help in one sitting and enjoyed it very, very much. It’s wise, literate, and ultimately deeply moving, a careful, heartbreaking novel of race and family that digs a lot deeper than most novels on such subjects do.

As black-white race relations go, this could be one of the most important pieces of fiction since To Kill a Mockingbird... If you read only one book this summer, let this be it.

“Mississippi is like my mother,” [Stockett] writes in an afterword to “The Help.” And you will see, after your wrestling match with this problematic but ultimately winning novel, that when it comes to the love-hate familial bond between Ms. Stockett and her subject matter, she’s telling the truth.

Her pitch-perfect depiction of a country's gradual path toward integration will pull readers into a compelling story that doubles as a portrait of a country struggling with racial issues.

Kathryn Stockettprimary authorall editionscalculated
Svendsen, Birgitte VictoriaIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Turpin, BahniNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Van Bronswijk, InekeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Grandaddy Stockett, the best storyteller of all

Black women raise kids/of white women who make them/use separate toilets (LC Brooks)

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0241950805, 0241956536

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,852,829 books! | Top bar: Always visible