The Color Purple (1982)

by Alice Walker

Series: The Color Purple Collection (1)

17,795319233 (4.13)660
As a young, black woman living in 1930s Georgia, Celie faces constant violence and oppression. She survives the brutality of incest before being married off to "Mr.," who routinely abuses her both physically and emotionally. Eventually, Celie develops a deep bond with her husband's mistress Shug, and it is through this relationship that she understands she is a woman capable of being loved and respected.… (more)
1980s (27)
Read (46)

English (305)  Italian (2)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (2)  Hungarian (1)  Vietnamese (1)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  All languages (316)
The story of a woman who watches life pass her by, in part due to family situations and adults who don't care about her as they should. With time she learns about the outside world as she makes acquaintances who help her escape the life she has. ( )
  foof2you | Sep 26, 2022 |
This book was an amazing experience. I knew nothing going into it and coming out of it wanting to watch the movie and listen to the musical adaptations. As a white person, I think it is important for me to read this book because it helped me understand parts of a black woman's experiences and I was about to connect them to history and my personal life. Walker's writing is very easy to understand and shows a lot of character. I was rooting for Celine throughout the whole book. All of her relationships with other people were so fascinating to read. It left me broken but still whole. ( )
  lovethethief | Sep 25, 2022 |
A must read noval, Narrated from the perspective of a suppressed woman. Simple language, informally written.
  Sadia_Baksh05 | Sep 12, 2022 |
Keep forgetting this and Woolf's Mrs Dalloway kind of helped me figure out my sexuality in college. Wish I was more out then though. Might have to reread this book at some point. ( )
  Ghost_Boy | Aug 25, 2022 |
“I think it pisses God off if you walk by the color purple in a field somewhere and don't notice it.”
― alice walker, The Color Purple

I mean let's face it, it is probably one of the best pieces of Historical Fiction ever writen. I have read the book as well as sen the film where they did a great job by the way. The story is one that just settles inside you and never leaves.

Tired so more to follow. One of the all time best though. More later. ( )
  Thebeautifulsea | Aug 5, 2022 |
Walker accomplishes a rare thing: She makes an epistolary novel work without veering into preciousness. Rather, Celie's full-bodied voice emerges, a moody and honest voice, in an inherently intimate literary form.

Without doubt, Alice Walker's latest novel is her most impressive. No mean accomplishment, since her previous books - which, in addition to several collections of poetry and two collections of short stories, include two novels ("The Third Life of Grange Copeland" and "Medridian") - have elicited almost unanimous praise for Miss Walker as a lavishly gifted writer

Walker, Aliceprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a supplement

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

Has as a teacher's guide

"Show me how to do like you.
Show how to do it." -Stevie Wonder
To the Spirit:
Without whose assistance
Neither this book
Nor I
Would have been
Written.
You better not never tell nobody but God. It'd kill your mammy.
Time moves slowly, but passes quickly.

Tells the story of two African-American sisters: Nettie, a missionary in Africa, and Celie, a child-wife living in the south, in the medium of their letters to each other and in Celie's case, the desperate letters she begins, "Dear God."
A woman's tale
on the politics of black
Georgia, 1930s, grit, faith
survival - told from the heart

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 176,904,569 books! | Top bar: Always visible