The Color Purple (1982)

by Alice Walker

As a young, black woman living in 1930s Georgia, Celie faces constant violence and oppression. She survives the brutality of incest before being married off to "Mr.," who routinely abuses her both physically and emotionally. Eventually, Celie develops a deep bond with her husband's mistress Shug, and it is through this relationship that she understands she is a woman capable of being loved and respected.… (more)
1980s (22)
Read (46)

English (291)  Italian (2)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (2)  Hungarian (1)  Vietnamese (1)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  All languages (302)
Just a truly gorgeous book; Walker's character voices are so strong, and there's so much going on while also managing to be very accessible. I somehow hadn't read this until now, but if you, like me, just haven't gotten to it, I strongly recommend you pick it up, and I myself will probably end up rereading this at some point just because I think there's so much going on that I maybe glossed over or wasn't fully attuned to.

Just a beautiful book, and one I know I will return to at some point. ( )
  aijmiller | Apr 27, 2021 |
There's really not much I can say that someone hasn't already said better. This is definitely one of the must reads. ( )
  illmunkeys | Apr 22, 2021 |
It was surprising to me that I'd lived in the world this long without ever having read this book or seen the movie it was based on, but I honestly was glad I was induced to doing so at this point in my life, and in this era of our country. It is interesting what messages Spielberg chose to take from this novel and depict onscreen, and it's fascinating to look at both the book and movie through the lens of what stories could be told in the 1980's versus now. ( )
  EmScape | Apr 9, 2021 |
Winner of the Pulitzer Prize and National Book Award, The Color Purple tells the story of oppression, domination, healing and love through the main character’s letters beginning at age 14. It is a fictional but historical novel, that encapsulates the abuse of black women in early 20th century America.

Review from: The Write of Your Life. A List of Books About Racism.
  stlukeschurch | Mar 8, 2021 |
Such a great book and important read. ( )
  Akacya | Feb 28, 2021 |
Walker accomplishes a rare thing: She makes an epistolary novel work without veering into preciousness. Rather, Celie's full-bodied voice emerges, a moody and honest voice, in an inherently intimate literary form.

Without doubt, Alice Walker's latest novel is her most impressive. No mean accomplishment, since her previous books - which, in addition to several collections of poetry and two collections of short stories, include two novels ("The Third Life of Grange Copeland" and "Medridian") - have elicited almost unanimous praise for Miss Walker as a lavishly gifted writer

Walker, Aliceprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a supplement

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

"Show me how to do like you.
Show how to do it." -Stevie Wonder
To the Spirit:
Without whose assistance
Neither this book
Nor I
Would have been
Written.
You better not never tell nobody but God. It'd kill your mammy.
Time moves slowly, but passes quickly.

Tells the story of two African-American sisters: Nettie, a missionary in Africa, and Celie, a child-wife living in the south, in the medium of their letters to each other and in Celie's case, the desperate letters she begins, "Dear God."
A woman's tale
on the politics of black
Georgia, 1930s, grit, faith
survival - told from the heart

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,758,200 books! | Top bar: Always visible