The Color Purple (1982)

by Alice Walker

As a young, black woman living in 1930s Georgia, Celie faces constant violence and oppression. She survives the brutality of incest before being married off to "Mr.," who routinely abuses her both physically and emotionally. Eventually, Celie develops a deep bond with her husband's mistress Shug, and it is through this relationship that she understands she is a woman capable of being loved and respected.… (more)
1980s (19)
Read (46)

English (294)  Italian (2)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (2)  Hungarian (1)  Vietnamese (1)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  All languages (305)
Such an amazing book with so many emotional turmoils churning just from letters! Now looking forward to watch the award winning movie though still unsure... worried the movie might not portray as much from the book.

Here's my full review:
http://www.sholee.net/2017/06/mpov-color-purple.html ( )
  Sholee | Sep 9, 2021 |
Amazing -- read the whole book in one night. Such interesting, strong female characters and intense but important reflections on race, class, gender, self-esteem and empowerment. ( )
  kendradey | Jul 10, 2021 |
A very uplifting book. This book, though spiritual, reads like a novel. It explores topics which range from survival to sexuality. This book is a must on any book lovers shelf!
  Wexfordian | Jun 30, 2021 |
This is a spectacular book, isn't it? As a white Australian reading this in 2016, I am so far removed from the world of the novel for it to be an anthropological text. Walker's literary skills are superb, leading the reader on despite the often disheartening subject matter. And I can't even explain the thrill that ran up my spine reading sister Nettie's letters about her intellectual awakening in Africa. A classic. ( )
  therebelprince | Jun 24, 2021 |
Just a truly gorgeous book; Walker's character voices are so strong, and there's so much going on while also managing to be very accessible. I somehow hadn't read this until now, but if you, like me, just haven't gotten to it, I strongly recommend you pick it up, and I myself will probably end up rereading this at some point just because I think there's so much going on that I maybe glossed over or wasn't fully attuned to.

Just a beautiful book, and one I know I will return to at some point. ( )
  aijmiller | Apr 27, 2021 |
Walker accomplishes a rare thing: She makes an epistolary novel work without veering into preciousness. Rather, Celie's full-bodied voice emerges, a moody and honest voice, in an inherently intimate literary form.

Without doubt, Alice Walker's latest novel is her most impressive. No mean accomplishment, since her previous books - which, in addition to several collections of poetry and two collections of short stories, include two novels ("The Third Life of Grange Copeland" and "Medridian") - have elicited almost unanimous praise for Miss Walker as a lavishly gifted writer

Walker, Aliceprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a supplement

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

"Show me how to do like you.
Show how to do it." -Stevie Wonder
To the Spirit:
Without whose assistance
Neither this book
Nor I
Would have been
Written.
You better not never tell nobody but God. It'd kill your mammy.
Time moves slowly, but passes quickly.

Tells the story of two African-American sisters: Nettie, a missionary in Africa, and Celie, a child-wife living in the south, in the medium of their letters to each other and in Celie's case, the desperate letters she begins, "Dear God."
A woman's tale
on the politics of black
Georgia, 1930s, grit, faith
survival - told from the heart

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,324,856 books! | Top bar: Always visible