Song of Solomon (1977)

by Toni Morrison

Milkman Dead was born shortly after a neighborhood eccentric hurled himself off a rooftop in a vain attempt at flight. For the rest of his life he, too, will be trying to fly. With this brilliantly imagined novel, Toni Morrison transfigures the coming-of-age story as audaciously as Saul Bellow or Gabriel García Márquez. As she follows Milkman from his rustbelt city to the place of his family's origins, Morrison introduces an entire cast of strivers and seeresses, liars and assassins, the inhabitants of a fully realized black world.… (more)
1970s (56)

English (100)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (2)  Catalan (1)  French (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (108)
There is always a daunted, freighted feeling upon cracking open a [[Toni Morrison]] book, a sense that what lies within may alter perception of reality forever. Few writers have the ability to lull the reader with a narrative so the looming assault is palatable enough to both shift their thinking and keep them coming back for more. The story is far too complicated for any real synopsis but, like most of her books, it is a family epic almost Greek in form. It's a shame we've lost her voice - there aren't enough of Morrison's books in the world. Don't be daunted by what lies within, her parables are necessary to change our world and the writing is a joy.

5 bones!!!!!
Highly recommended. ( )
  blackdogbooks | Jul 31, 2022 |
Macon Dead, Jr. was born the day another man jumped from the cupola of the hospital wearing homemade wings and couldn't fly. When he's a young boy, he gets the nickname "Milkman" when a man comes in and sees that his mother still nurses him. These are just pieces of his story, as he grows up and becomes a man, falls in and out of love, and learns about family.

I am convinced that Toni Morrison writes everything with a precision of language that is truly remarkable. This is only the second novel of hers that I've written besides Beloved. It was written fifteen years earlier and on the surface is very different, with a lot of dialogue and less descriptive passages. But it is stunning. I hesitate to say too much because the way the last third of the book unfolds is amazing. Did I like it? I don't know, but it will definitely stick with me for a long time. An excellent book club pick. ( )
  bell7 | Feb 15, 2022 |
Nice literary book with intriguing characters. The book started off slowly but picked-up halfway through. The last third was fantastic. ( )
  E.Loveless1838 | Jan 16, 2022 |
A beautiful, deeply moving book about family, relationships, communication, community and belonging, about racism and class. There are characters here I will carry with me for a long time, I am so glad I listened to Toni Morrison reading the book aloud. A beautiful reading voice and perfect sensitivity. ( )
  thesmellofbooks | Dec 9, 2021 |
Plot-driven, character-driven, held by history and underlain by myth, with a full command of the possibilities of the written from - at its best, as here, a novel is all these things in creative tension. This is a masterwork. It's been a long time since I have been able to say say that about any novel I've read, particularly any novel written in the last fifty years. ( )
  CSRodgers | Aug 5, 2021 |

Praesent, AngelaÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rué, SylvianeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thigpen, LynneNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Verhagen, PietTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The fathers may soar / And the children may know their names
Daddy
The North Carolina Mutual Life Insurance agent promised to fly from Mercy to the other side of Lake Superior at three o'clock.
He soaped and rubbed her until her skin squeaked and glistened like onyx. She put salve on his face. He washed her hair. She sprinkled talcum on his feet. He straddled her behind and massaged her back. She put witch hazel on his swollen neck. He made up the bed. She gave him gumbo to eat. He washed the dishes. She washed his clothes and hung them out to dry. He scoured her tub. She ironed his shirt and pants. He gave her fifty dollars. She kissed his mouth. He touched her face. She said please come back. He said I’ll see you tonight.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,159,220 books! | Top bar: Always visible