Sula (1973)

by Toni Morrison

6,555801,123 (3.82)1 / 360
At the heart of Sula is a bond between to women, a friendship whose intensity first sustains, then injuries. Sula and Nel are both black, both smart, and both poor. Through their girlhood years, they share everything. All this changes when Sula gets out of the Bottom, the hilltop neighborhood where there hides a fierce resentment at the invisible line that cannot be overstepped.… (more)

English (79)  Danish (1)  All languages (80)
I'm not sure how to give stars to this book. There is some wonderful writing here, but some very graphic and disturbing scenes as well. I was struck by how dark the book is while still filled with light. I wouldn't say I liked it, but I did appreciate the writing. I think that like The Bluest Eye this book will haunt me. Toni Morrison's reading is quite slow and deliberate. An interesting approach. ( )
  njcur | Jul 21, 2021 |
A vivid look at the life of a small-town African American community in the 1920s and 1930s. Though the blurbs made me think it would be a story of two women's friendship, it was as much about the townspeople and their dynamics and the context of Sula and Nel's friendship. ( )
  Charon07 | Jul 16, 2021 |
Adult fiction. Great storytelling done by the narrator (and of course, by Morrison). Listening to it 20-min. at a time during my work commute probably isn't the best way to enjoy it though. ( )
  reader1009 | Jul 3, 2021 |
The amount of meaning and importance Toni Morrison puts into crafting a single sentence is breathtaking. Heartbreaking.

When I wasn't listening to Toni Morrison read this novel, I was thinking about it. ( )
  illmunkeys | Apr 22, 2021 |
Sula and Nel grow up together as best friends in the Bottom in the 1920s and 1930s, the black part of town that is nestled in the hills of Ohio above the white part of town. We learn about their lives and community as they act for foils for each other and for the town.

Toni Morrison's second novel was not at all what I was expecting. Its beautiful language is almost pointillist (I wouldn't have wanted to read this one on audiobook). Despite walking some sharp edges and a lot of darkness, it doesn't give any impression of self-consciousness or pretentiousness. The lack of either plot or clear authorial arguments-in-novel-form made me uncomfortable, and I can't put my finger on why I liked this book. The best I have is that it was fascinating to read something so very different to my usual forms, and also so unbelievably well-executed. ( )
  pammab | Apr 15, 2021 |

Minor, WendellCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Polz, Karinsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vink, NettieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wood, OwenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'Nobody knew my rose of the world but me.... I had too much glory. They don't want glory like that in nobody's heart."

- The Rose Tattoo
It is sheer good fortune to miss someone long before they leave you. This book is for Ford and Slade, whom I miss although they have not left me.
In that place, where they tore the nightshade and blackberry patches from the roots to make room for the Medallion City Golf Course, there was once a neighborhood.
the only way to avoid the Hand of God is to get in it

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,325,002 books! | Top bar: Always visible