Sula by Toni Morrison

Sula (1973)

by Toni Morrison

5,33656822 (3.78)1 / 283

I am so glad I went and read it. Listening to a book is great, but there's something special about reading it. ( )
  pirogoeth | Jul 11, 2017 |
I received this book for free through a complimentary Quarterly Literary Box.

After hearing much about her, I have finally read a book by Toni Morrison. I really enjoyed this book. The way Morrison writes is so beautiful. She definitely has a way with words.

The story itself was interesting. Sula and Nel together were so interesting. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a female friendship quite like that before. Sula had this ethereal quality about her that was really captivating. ( )
  jessicadelellis | Jun 22, 2017 |
1973 book for my birthday challenge (reading a book published from each year I've been alive). Sula is the second Toni Morrison I've read (after The Bluest Eye quite some time back).

It's a memorable novel. Sula and Nel are childhood friends, and also as adults, until Sula does something to split them apart. Several interesting and complex characters in this story.

I admit I read this without trying to find any underlying themes and symbolism that Morrison seems to be best known for. My feeling is that Toni Morrison has high expectations for her readers, and I'm unsure whether I met them in reading this novel. I did appreciate the portrayal of how life was like in small-town America for most African-Americans, and how complex friendships and family can be. ( )
  ValerieAndBooks | Mar 31, 2017 |
I always think I should like Toni Morrison books and each time I read one I remember why I dislike them. I hate the supernatural fiction. For example, in this book there are 3 boys who are all named Dewey and they never grow up and people can't tell them apart, even though they don't look similar or are even the same age. Also the book talked so much about sex. It seems like the main characters are just having random sex all the time. After I finished reading the book I was left with the feeling "What did I just read? None of it makes sense" ( )
  KamGeb | Sep 24, 2016 |
I just reread this--the first time was when I was 19. What struck me most was how little I recognized how transgressive it is the first time around. At 19, Sula's behavior seemed unconventional but I couldn't relate to the reactions of the townspeople. Now grown, with children, married, can I fully appreciate what Toni Morrison was exploring and I am awed by it. ( )
  ltfitch1 | Jun 5, 2016 |

Toni Morrisonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dorsman-Vos, W.A.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vink, NettieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wood, OwenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'Nobody knew my rose of the world but me.... I had too much glory. They don't want glory like that in nobody's heart."

- The Rose Tattoo
It is sheer good fortune to miss someone long before they leave you. This book is for Ford and Slade, whom I miss although they have not left me.
In that place, where they tore the nightshade and blackberry patches from the roots to make room for the Medallion City Golf Course, there was once a neighborhood.
the only way to avoid the Hand of God is to get in it

Book Description Publication Date: 1982 | Series: Plume Amazon.com Review: In Sula, Toni Morrison, winner of the 1993 Nobel Prize for literature, tells the story of two women--friends since childhood, separated in young adulthood, and reunited as grown women. Nel Wright grows up to become a wife and mother, happy to remain in her hometown of Medallion, Ohio. Sula Peace leaves Medallion to experience college, men, and life in the big city, an exceptional choice for a black woman to make in the late 1920s. As girls, Nel and Sula are the best of friends, only children who find in each other a kindred spirit to share in each girl's loneliness and imagination. When they meet again as adults, it's clear that Nel has chosen a life of acceptance and accommodation, while Sula must fight to defend her seemingly unconventional choices and beliefs. But regardless of the physical and emotional distance that threatens this extraordinary friendship, the bond between the women remains unbreakable: "Her old friend had come home.... Sula, whose past she had lived through and with whom the present was a constant sharing of perceptions. Talking to Sula had always been a conversation with herself." Lyrical and gripping, Sula is an honest look at the power of friendship amid a backdrop of family, love, race, and the human condition. --Gisele Toueg

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:14 -0400)

Traces the lives of two African American women from their youth in small-town Georgia, through divergent paths of womanhood, to their ultimate confrontation and reconciliation.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,488,109 books! | Top bar: Always visible