The Bluest Eye (1970)

by Toni Morrison

10,950195463 (3.91)510
The Bluest Eye is the story of eleven-year-old Pecola Breedlove, a black girl in an America whose love for its blonde, blue-eyed children can devastate all others, who prays for her eyes to turn blue: so that she will be beautiful, so that people will look at her, so that her world will be different. This is the story of the nightmare at the heart of her yearning, and the tragedy of its fulfillment.… (more)

English (188)  Spanish (4)  Swedish (1)  French (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (195)
This would have been largely a punishing read--nearly all of the characters exist in misery with little-to-no redemption or celebration--but for Morrison's masterful storytelling. I went into the book expecting one thing and got something else wholly different. Throughout the book, I kept imagining the process of French braiding. From the start, we know what's going to happen, but Morrison is going to spend most of the time before we get there adding piece upon piece to the narrative. Building context. Slowly mounting. The final chapter is possibly the most powerful denouement I've ever read. I am embarrassed that I've gone this long as an avid reader without having read any of Morrison's novels, but I am equally excited to finally be on that road to experience more of her work. ( )
  LibroLindsay | Jun 18, 2021 |
“I destroyed white baby dolls.”

Pecola Breedlove. “Each night, without fail, she prayed for blue eyes.” And even though I'm not sure what ultimately happened with that particular issue, I loved the journey! She lived below an apartment occupied by three whores, China, Poland, and Miss Marie, who’s dialogue is a highlight of this story! “Three merry gargoyles.”!

I loved the way the author used, and repeated, the Dick and Jane mashup sentences throughout the book! Amazing juxtaposition between those sanitized sentence snatches, and the story being told. This whole book is just amazing, especially as it was Morrison's FIRST BOOK! Wow!!! And it's a classic! Highly recommend this book to everyone! And remember, “Don’t nobody need three quarts of milk.”

"And the years folded up like pocket handkerchiefs." ( )
  Stahl-Ricco | Jun 15, 2021 |
I'll never quit reading [[Morrison]] - she is perhaps one of the boldest, most uncompromising voices in literature. She seemed to know that the world needed her voice, and she demands your attention from the first words on the first page. Fair warning, there are stories within this narrative that are hard to read, but ones that are meant to make you change the way you think about race and equality. No one else was writing this kind of story when Morrison started. The book follows the young life of a girl who has lived through the worst kind of violence. But it is rarely told from her own perspective, which lets you in on the violence the narrators themselves suffer. Maybe the best part of the edition is Morrison's rumination, some decades later, on writing and publishing the book True to her own uncompromising nature, she casts her razor-sharp eye on herself. Though I felt she was too harsh with herself and her work, it's a window into what she was trying to do with the book. Highly recommended. ( )
  blackdogbooks | Jun 6, 2021 |
Hard to read in places, just because of the brutal content, but beautifully, beautifully written. ( )
  qBaz | May 28, 2021 |
"The Bluest Eye" is told through the eyes of of girls growing up in a brutal, uncaring, violent world, abandoned emotionally, intellectually, socially, physically and morally by the adults around them. They’re left in ignorance and punished and blamed for not knowing better. They’re able to assess the faults of their elders and yet mimic them in their own social circles. It’s a stark and painful depiction of the desperate condition we – all of us -- have allowed human society to devolve into. ( )
  dcvance | May 4, 2021 |
I have said "poetry." But "The Bluest Eye" is also history, sociology, folklore, nightmare and music. It is one thing to state that we have institutionalized waste, that children suffocate under mountains of merchandised lies. It is another thing to demonstrate that waste, to re-create those children, to live and die by it. Miss Morrison's angry sadness overwhelms.

Morrison, Toniprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Schmidt-Dengler, WendelinAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schneider, HelmutContributorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thigpen, LynneNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vink, Nettiesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the two who gave me life
and the one who made me free
Quiet as it's kept, there were no marigolds in the fall of 1941.
And it is the blackness that accounts for, that creates,the vacuum edged with distaste in white eyes.
But we listened for the one who would say, “Poor little girl,” or, “Poor baby,” but there was only head-wagging where those words should have been. We looked for eyes creased with concern, but saw only veils.
Please distinguish between this complete 1970 novel and any abridgement of the original Work. Thank you.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,057,267 books! | Top bar: Always visible