The Glass Castle: A Memoir

by Jeannette Walls

Jeannette Walls tells the story about her childhood. She talks about living like nomads, moving among Southwest desert towns, camping in the mountains. Retreating to the dismal West Virginia mining town--and the family-- her father, Rex Walls, had done everything he could to escape. He drank. He stole the grocery money and disappeared for days. As the dysfunction of the family escalated, Jeannette and her brother and sisters had to fend for themselves, supporting one another as they weathered their parents' betrayals and, finally, found the resources and will to leave home.… (more)
    A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith (JGoto)
    Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt (cataylor)
    Hope's Boy: A Memoir by Andrew Bridge (meggyweg, Sunflower6_Cris)
    Jesus Land: A Memoir by Julia Scheeres (gaialover)
    Educated: A Memoir by Tara Westover (bjappleg8)
    Running with Scissors by Augusten Burroughs (Monika_L)
    Breaking Night: A Memoir of Forgiveness, Survival, and My Journey from Homeless to Harvard by Liz Murray (itbgc)
    The Liars' Club by Mary Karr (Cecrow)
    Shattered Silence: The Untold Story of a Serial Killer's Daughter by Melissa G. Moore (dara85)
    Life at the Bottom : The Worldview that Makes the Underclass by Theodore Dalrymple (chndlrs)
    My Struggle: Book 1 by Karl Ove Knausgård (julienne_preacher)
    Blackbird: A Childhood Lost and Found by Jennifer Lauck (RoxieF)
    My Abandonment by Peter Rock (SugarCreekRanch)
    Dandelion: Memoir of a Free Spirit by Catherine James (amyreads)
    North of Normal: A Memoir of My Wilderness Childhood, My Unusual Family, and How I Survived Both by Cea Sunrise Person (kristina25)
    Tutto si risveglia con un bacio by Gudrún Eva Mínervudóttir (raudakind)
    raudakind: Both of these books are humorous tales about families splintered by the parents' bohemian lifestyle.
    Hollywood Park by Mikel Jollett (bjappleg8)
    Coming Clean: A Memoir by Kimberly Rae Miller (Deesirings)
    Deesirings: Both these memoirs of childhood are about parents with severe limitations, difficulties, mental illnesses, with the authors nonetheless feeling loved by them.
    All Over but the Shoutin' by Rick Bragg (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Daisy Fay and the Miracle Man by Fannie Flagg (VictoriaPL)

English (726)  German (3)  Spanish (2)  French (2)  Piratical (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (735)
I really enjoyed reading this book. Not only was this a fascinating memoir, but it was very well written. The childlike narration at the beginning was very immersive and atmospheric and it was nice to see the voice grow up as the author did. It really kept me hooked until the end and I couldn't put it down. ( )
  afrozenbookparadise | Apr 23, 2021 |
My review of this book can be found on my Youtube Vlog at:

Enjoy! ( )
  booklover3258 | Apr 9, 2021 |
BuzzFeed once recommended this when I was looking for some memoirs/Non-Fiction books.
It stayed in my TBR pile for, like, 7 years until my Slowly (app) friend recommended it.
I knew that I'd love the narration.
It still exceeded my expectations.
  DzejnCrvena | Apr 2, 2021 |
I usually read memoirs with the mindset that they'll be depressing and a self pity filled story. But I was so wrong about this book!! Jeannette Walls transforms her nothing short of tragic childhood into a inspiring and moving piece of literature. ( )
  arsmith1994 | Mar 3, 2021 |
It’s hard to both hate and love a book in this way. Memoirs are stories from our past- true stories. This memoir holds dark history full of parental neglect, which as a mother I hated constantly. There is no doubt that this family is filled to the brim with intelligence and talent, but to watch it all fade away to nothing due to mental illness is painful. Watching adults neglect the four children they have for two decades is extremely frustrating but you still find yourself cheering the children on throughout the entire process. ( )
  McRaeNaayers | Feb 17, 2021 |
''The Glass Castle'' falls short of being art, but it's a very good memoir. At one point, describing her early literary tastes, Walls mentions that ''my favorite books all involved people dealing with hardships.'' And she has succeeded in doing what most writers set out to do -- to write the kind of book they themselves most want to read.

Jeannette Wallsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gibson, JuliaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dark is a way and light is a place,
Heaven that never was
Nor will be ever is always true
-Dylan Thomas
"Poem on His Birthday"
To John, for convincing me that everyone who is interesting has a past
I was sitting in a taxi, wondering if I had overdressed for the evening, when I looked out the window and saw Mom rooting through a Dumpster.

The child of an alcoholic father and an eccentric artist mother discusses her family's nomadic upbringing, during which she and her siblings fended for themselves while their parents outmaneuvered bill collectors and the authorities.
-Novelist

4 2069

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,689,892 books! | Top bar: Always visible