Running with Scissors

by Augusten Burroughs

Series: Augusten Burroughs autobiographies

13,919296333 (3.54)208
True story of a boy whose mother gave him away to be raised by a psychiatrist. He had to survive a bizarre household where there were no rules.
    The Glass Castle: A Memoir by Jeannette Walls (Monika_L)
    Mommie Dearest by Christina Crawford (Smiler69)
    Smiler69: Memoirs told by the adopted daughter of Joan Crawford, who by all accounts was a raging alcoholic.
    A Wolf at the Table: A Memoir of My Father by Augusten Burroughs (ParadoxicalRae)
    Devil in the Details: Scenes from an Obsessive Girlhood by Jennifer Traig (sarah-e)
    sarah-e: A funny memoir of a person with unusual habits.
    Look Me in the Eye: My Life with Asperger's by John Elder Robison (vancouverdeb)
    vancouverdeb: Look Me in the Eye written by John Elder Robinson, the elder brother ofAugusten Burroughs who wrote Running with Scissors. Each gives a different take on their dysfunctional family.
    Stitches: A Memoir by David Small (meggyweg)
    Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim by David Sedaris (LAKobow)
    Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides (amberwitch)
    Foreskin's Lament by Shalom Auslander (utterlyutter)
    Normal Family by Don Trowden (Publerati)
    Publerati: Eccentric family chaos except Normal Family is entirely set over four consecutive dysfunctional family holidays. Hysterical and bittersweet fun. Promising new writer.
    My Life in Orange: Growing Up with the Guru by Tim Guest (ainsleytewce)
    Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West by Gregory Maguire (khoov00)
    khoov00: This book seems to appeal to some with the same sense of humor as it would take to appreciate the book Wicked.
    Between Nowhere and Happiness by Daniel Kine (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: A young poet battling apathy with drugs and other forms of experimental coping methods.
    Bright Angel Time by Martha McPhee (ainsleytewce, ainsleytewce)
    Sugarless by James Magruder (amberwitch)
    An Underachiever's Diary by Benjamin Anastas (meggyweg)
    A Million Little Pieces by James Frey (wonderlake)
    wonderlake: Crazy lives
    A Child Called "It" by Dave Pelzer (PortiaLong)
    PortiaLong: Disturbing memoirs - I disliked them both for the same reasons (so someone else may LIKE them for those same reasons).

English (289)  Italian (2)  German (1)  French (1)  Portuguese (1)  All languages (294)
WOW! Unbelievable. The only reason it is believable is it is hard to imagine soemone with such an imagination to make this stuff up. It is amazing and terribly sad that people raise their kids this way. I did enjoy the book though and had a hard time putting it down. I really wanted to know how these people were going to live to adulthood. I am not sure I want to see the movie though. I probably will some day though. Thanx again for including me in this ray. It is packaged up waiting for an address for the next person. ( )
  KyleneJones | Apr 25, 2022 |
People have compared this book to David Sedaris's books, but I don't think it's nearly as good. I was deeply disturbed by some of the events in his life, about which he writes lightly. At least in Sedaris's books you felt the pathos of an event even if part of it was funny. ( )
  Dairyqueen84 | Mar 15, 2022 |
I just didn't dig the author's style and I couldn't get past the first few pages. ( )
  zeropluszeroisone | Jan 30, 2022 |
Yes, I listened to "Running with Scissors" in one sitting. It was one of the strangest books I have ever heard or read, almost hard to believe. However, some of the things in my life have been pretty unbelievable too. I'm glad that Augusten Burroughs could laugh about the insanity and let us in on it. I hope he got some therapy.

I'm also glad that his mom realized that the doc was not a good doctor. ( )
  nab6215 | Jan 18, 2022 |
Self indulgent ( )
  envyensor | Aug 12, 2021 |
You will either love Running With Scissors or you will hate it. I loved it. OK, there are tedious passages, when you feel Burroughs is doing the writerly equivalent of adding extra stuffing to a perfectly comfortable beanbag. But it is impossible not to laugh at all the jokes; to admire the sardonic, fetid tone; to wonder, slack-jawed and agog, at the sheer looniness of the vista he conjures up.
added by Nevov | editThe Observer, Rachel Cooke (Feb 23, 2003)

The book, which promotes visceral responses (of laughter, wincing, retching) on nearly every page, contains the kind of scenes that are often called harrowing but which are also plainly funny and rich with child's-eye details of adults who have gone off the rails.

Augusten Burroughsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Leivo, ArtoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Look for the ridiculous in everything and you will find it.

Jules Renard
For Dennis Pilsits
My mother is standing in front of the bathroom mirror smelling polished and ready; like Jean Nate, Dippity Do and the waxy sweetness of lipstick.

A memoir. A story told about a young boy's life living with his delusional mother, her unorthodox shrink, and his dysfunctional kids. A very interesting read!!!

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,408,617 books! | Top bar: Always visible