Running with Scissors

by Augusten Burroughs

Series: Augusten Burroughs autobiographies

13,619292314 (3.55)206
True story of a boy whose mother gave him away to be raised by a psychiatrist. He had to survive a bizarre household where there were no rules.
    The Glass Castle: A Memoir by Jeannette Walls (Monika_L)
    Mommie Dearest by Christina Crawford (Smiler69)
    Smiler69: Memoirs told by the adopted daughter of Joan Crawford, who by all accounts was a raging alcoholic.
    A Wolf at the Table: A Memoir of My Father by Augusten Burroughs (ParadoxicalRae)
    Devil in the Details: Scenes from an Obsessive Girlhood by Jennifer Traig (sarah-e)
    sarah-e: A funny memoir of a person with unusual habits.
    Look Me in the Eye: My Life with Asperger's by John Elder Robison (vancouverdeb)
    vancouverdeb: Look Me in the Eye written by John Elder Robinson, the elder brother ofAugusten Burroughs who wrote Running with Scissors. Each gives a different take on their dysfunctional family.
    Stitches: A Memoir by David Small (meggyweg)
    Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim by David Sedaris (LAKobow)
    Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides (amberwitch)
    Foreskin's Lament by Shalom Auslander (utterlyutter)
    Normal Family by Don Trowden (Publerati)
    Publerati: Eccentric family chaos except Normal Family is entirely set over four consecutive dysfunctional family holidays. Hysterical and bittersweet fun. Promising new writer.
    My Life in Orange: Growing Up with the Guru by Tim Guest (ainsleytewce)
    Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West by Gregory Maguire (khoov00)
    khoov00: This book seems to appeal to some with the same sense of humor as it would take to appreciate the book Wicked.
    Between Nowhere and Happiness by Daniel Kine (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: A young poet battling apathy with drugs and other forms of experimental coping methods.
    Bright Angel Time by Martha McPhee (ainsleytewce, ainsleytewce)
    Sugarless by James Magruder (amberwitch)
    An Underachiever's Diary by Benjamin Anastas (meggyweg)
    A Million Little Pieces by James Frey (wonderlake)
    wonderlake: Crazy lives
    A Child Called "It" by Dave Pelzer (PortiaLong)
    PortiaLong: Disturbing memoirs - I disliked them both for the same reasons (so someone else may LIKE them for those same reasons).

English (283)  Italian (2)  German (1)  French (1)  Portuguese (1)  All languages (288)
This book was very difficult for me to rate. While it was very easy to read based on the writing style and I wanted to know what was going to happen to Augusten, I couldn't believe the craziness that was his life... and this is a memoir?! Just goes to show you how screwed up some people are and how resilient people can be. I wish there was more of a follow up at the end to link us to where Augusten ended up (I don't know much of anything about the author) so would have liked to know. I hate rating memoirs and autobiographies because it's a person's life, and I never end up rating them very highly because nonfiction and I aren't the best of friends, but this was one of the better ones I have read. I give it 3.5* overall. ( )
  courty4189 | Mar 24, 2021 |
More of a 3.5 than a 4. More to do with how certain subjects were presented than the writing itself, cause Burroughs is a damn good writer. Very much interested in the film version now. ( )
  sarahlh | Mar 6, 2021 |
Un manuale di sopravvivenza per adolescenti in famiglie disfunzionali. Ecco quale dovrebbe essere la definizione corretta di questo libro. Credo infatti che sarebbero pochissime le persone che uscirebbero vive da una situazione come quella vissuta dal giovane Augusten. Lui ci è riuscito e non solo, ha anche avuto la forza di raccontarla in maniera consapevole e ironica (l'unico modo, a dir la verità, per raccontare una storia come questa senza rischiare di precipitare in un'atmosfera da tragedia greca).
  JoeProtagoras | Jan 28, 2021 |
Run away from this book! ( )
  Weezer41 | Dec 27, 2020 |
Run away from this book! ( )
  Weezer41 | Dec 27, 2020 |
The book, which promotes visceral responses (of laughter, wincing, retching) on nearly every page, contains the kind of scenes that are often called harrowing but which are also plainly funny and rich with child's-eye details of adults who have gone off the rails.

Augusten Burroughsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Leivo, ArtoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Look for the ridiculous in everything and you will find it.

Jules Renard
For Dennis Pilsits
My mother is standing in front of the bathroom mirror smelling polished and ready; like Jean Nate, Dippity Do and the waxy sweetness of lipstick.

A memoir. A story told about a young boy's life living with his delusional mother, her unorthodox shrink, and his dysfunctional kids. A very interesting read!!!

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,851,853 books! | Top bar: Always visible