Mommie Dearest by Christina Crawford

Mommie Dearest (1978)

by Christina Crawford

Now to My Mother: Very Personal Memoir of Antonia White by Susan Chitty (KayCliff)
    KayCliff: Both books are vicious daughterly attacks on famous mothers.

Mamãe era bem mais louca que a Crawford, mas aposto que ninguém quer ouvir meus choramingos. ( )
  Adriana_Scarpin | Jun 12, 2018 |
Joan Crawford is one of thos old actresses I don't know much about and haven't seen many of her films, so it was sometimes hard to picture her when I read about her in this book written by her daughter.

Sometimes a hard book to read. Christina (or Tina) had a strange love/hate relationship with her mother. She portrayed herself as the perfect child, always trying to please her mother and not succeeding only because of her mother's unrealistic expectations and drunkenness. But you've got to wonder if she really could have been such the "Perfect" child she described. I don't doubt that it was hard to be the daughter of a movie star and a movie star that sounded as though she had some sort of self-worth issues.

Some of the book sounded a bit too much like whining: "I had such a hard life..." That's what you get with autobiographies though! ( )
  jennannej | Jul 13, 2017 |
This is a terrifying story and it's very real. Whether you're reading it because you are curious about Crawford's life or have a "Mommie Dearest" of you own, this book with strike a cord. On another note, there were so many typos--sometimes several a page. ( )
  RojaHorchata | Jul 11, 2016 |
I simply could not put this book down. It was just one thing after another with how mean that woman could be. I had a bad relationship with my mother, and I felt Christina's pain. This is definitely a book that everyone should read. ( )
  angela.k.winters | Jun 18, 2012 |
This book fascinated me as a kid. Can you imagine growing up the child of a slightly insane Hollywood icon? Christina tells a tale of madness, rebellion, narcissism, sabotage, alienation, luxury and deprivation. This book reads like candy. ( )
1 vote citygirl | Dec 14, 2007 |
This book is dedicated with love to
Bernie and Mildred, who helped me find my way,
my brother Chris, who shared much of the journey with me,
and my beloved husband, David, who made it all worthwhile.
DEAD. Joan Crawford. New York City. May 10, 1977, at 10 A.M. Eastern Daylight time. Official cause of death: coronary arrest.

A disturbing account of one child's life with her famous mother. Christina Crawford, the adopted daughter of movie legend Joan Crawford, tells a rivoting and heartbreaking story of her tortured relationship with her mother.

Joan Crawford's daughter exposes the actress as an alcoholic and a child abuser and describes the grim reality of her childhood with a mother who was ruthless, unstable, and violent.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,789,022 books! | Top bar: Always visible