The Girl Who Fell From the Sky by Heidi W.…

The Girl Who Fell From the Sky (2010)

by Heidi W. Durrow

1,519997,383 (3.78)101
Recently added byJayeJ, rena75, juniperSun, Sandee88, jesmlet
    White Teeth by Zadie Smith (sduff222)
    The Other Hand by Chris Cleave (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Breathe My Name by R. A. Nelson (meggyweg)
    Fox Girl by Nora Okja Keller (sduff222)
    My Name Is Leon by Kit De Waal (Booktrovert)
    Booktrovert: Both novels feature coming-of-age stories of biracial children uprooted from their families. Both main characters are trying to understand where they belong, and both children are working through trauma.

Rachel doesn't belong anywhere now that her Danish mother threw her away and her black military father stays away because he can't trust himself to be a proper parent. Raised in Europe at various Army bases, she is sent America to his mother. Everything is different. She previously had no concept of racial identity but now she is seen as Black. She needs to learn how to fit in with classmates and with her grandma's expectations.
This story pulls you along, you won't want to put it down. It doesn't give you a pat ending, but does let you see how she adapts, as she learns that not all the options that look like love really offer any, and gets pointed in the right direction. ( )
  juniperSun | May 17, 2019 |
This sad story is told in the spellbinding voices of several narrators, but it is truly Rachel's story. It is unique and memorable, and one I recommend. ( )
  LMJenkins | Nov 28, 2018 |
Beautifully written book. ( )
  Starla_Aurora | Oct 29, 2018 |
Another brilliant debut novel. The author deals sensitively with issues of race, identity, parenthood, sexuality, loyalty, honesty, and so much more. The tone is somewhat emotionally removed, perhaps because the subject matter is so emotionally loaded. The characters are never as simple as they first seem to be, they are always so much more nuanced, more complicated, and usually more troubled. The story, we learn is based on true events and the main character's racial background is the same as the author's, she has woven her identity and an event into a stunning novel that I can't stop thinking about. Great book club material! ( )
  Rdra1962 | Aug 1, 2018 |
I liked this book. I thought it was sweet and well-written, sort of has the tone of a lot of Oprah book club books. It's touching and interesting, with good character development. I recommend it. ( )
  MissWordNerd | Jul 14, 2018 |
As the child of an African American father and a Danish mother, Durrow brings piercing authenticity to this provocative tale, winner of the Bellwether Prize for Fiction.
added by sduff222 | editBooklist, Donna Seaman (Feb 1, 2010)

Taut prose, a controversial conclusion and the thoughtful reflection on racism and racial identity resonate without treading into political or even overtly specific agenda waters, as the story succeeds as both a modern coming-of-age and relevant social commentary.
added by sduff222 | editPublishers Weekly (Oct 19, 2009)

Nothing especially groundbreaking here, but the author examines familiar issues of racial identity and racism with a subtle and unflinching eye.
added by sduff222 | editKirkus Reviews (Oct 15, 2009)

But there's much more, and if the novel has a weakness, it's that it oozes conflict. Rachel, who is biracial, is abandoned by her father; a boy who witnesses the rooftop incident has his own difficulties, including a neglectful mother who's also a prostitute. But one can't help but be drawn in by these characters and by the novel's exploration of race and identity. VERDICT With similar themes to Zadie Smith's White Teeth and a tone of desolation and dislocation like Graham Swift's Waterland and Jean Rhys's Wide Sargasso Sea, this is also recommended for readers intrigued by the psychology behind shocking headlines.
added by sduff222 | editLibrary Journal, Evelyn Beck (Oct 15, 2009)

In the telling of this coming- of-age novel, Durrow manages that remarkable achievement of telling a subtle, complex story that speaks in equal volumes to children and adults.

If a man calls me a nigger
it's his fault the first time, but
mine if he has the
opportunity to do it again.
— Nella Larsen, Passing
Dedicated to my mother, Birgit, with all my love
"You my lucky piece," Grandma says.

Rachael, whose mother is Danish and father is an African-American, loses both her parents and is forced to move to a new city to live with her strict African-American grandmother, but when she is immersed into an African-American community, her physical appearance draws attention and Rachel struggles with her own uncertainties about her identity.

After a family tragedy orphans her, Rachel, the daughter of a Danish mother and a black G.I., moves into her grandmother's mostly black community in the 1980s, where she must swallow her grief and confront her identity as a biracial woman in a world that wants to see her as either black or white.… (more)

Heidi W. Durrow is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,891,536 books! | Top bar: Always visible