I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings (1969)

by Maya Angelou

Series: Maya Angelou's Autobiographies (1)

12,953201381 (4.01)1 / 526
Author's memoir of growing up black in the 1930's and 1940's.
My TBR (84)

English (195)  French (2)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (200)
Old-school story-telling at it's best. Mark Twain and Harper Lee come to mind, to give you a feel of how delicious the story-telling is. Her matter-of-factly strength, depth and clarity are a delight. A must read. ( )
  SwatiRavi | Jun 27, 2022 |
Inspiring, one of a kind. ( )
  Windyone1 | May 10, 2022 |
Listening to the audio version, read by the author herself, made this extra powerful. What a life, what a woman she was. ( )
  viviennestrauss | Apr 16, 2022 |
The author had a lot of interesting, painful, or valuable experience as a child and a teenager growing up in the 1940s. Reading about her early life helped me understand that time in the U.S. better. The plight of black people is unjust and tragic in both rural Arkansas as well as urban San Francisco. In the former racism overwhelms them, whereas in the latter they are caught in a lifestyle of violence and immorality. The author's grandmother, uncle, brother, mother, and father were vividly described. The grandmother was quite a character!

But the author herself and her personality remains a mystery to me as a reader. I don't understand most of her feelings nor the decisions she made, despite reading pages and pages of her thoughts and observations. ( )
  CathyChou | Mar 11, 2022 |
Beautifully written and moving memoir. There are brutal moments and there is also love and joy. ( )
  AlisonSakai | Feb 20, 2022 |

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Has as a study

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

Has as a teacher's guide

This book is dedicated to my son
Guy Johnson,
and all the strong black birds of promise who defy the odds and gods and sing their songs
What you looking at me for?
Author's memoir of growing up black in the 1930's and 1940's.

James Baldwin Writes:

This testimony from a Black sister marks the beginning of a new era in the minds and hearts and lives of all Black men and women...
I KNOW WHY THE CAGED BIRD SINGS liberates the reader into life simply because Maya Angelou confronts her own life with such a moving wonder, such a luminous dignity. I have no words for this achievement, but I know that not since the days of my childhood, when the people in books were more real than the people one saw every day, have I found myself so moved ...
her portrait is a Biblical study of life in the midst of death."

The Moving and Beautiful autobiography of a talented black woman. She continues her story in gather together in GATHER TOGETHER IN MY NAME, SINGIN' AND SWINGIN' AND GETTIN' MERRY LIKE CHRISTMAS and THE HEART OF A WOMAN.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,570,285 books! | Top bar: Always visible