Beloved by Toni Morrison

Beloved (1987)

by Toni Morrison

16,976308169 (3.88)2 / 906
    Kindred by Octavia E. Butler (susanbooks)
    Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Known World by Edward P. Jones (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    A Visitation of Spirits: A Novel by Randall Kenan (lottpoet)
    Cane by Jean Toomer (cammykitty)
    cammykitty: An often overlooked classic.
    The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead (shaunie)
    shaunie: Morrison's masterpiece is a clear influence on Whitehead's book, and his is one of the very few I've read which bears comparison with it. In fact I'd go so far as to say it's also a masterpiece, a stunningly good read!
    A Killing in This Town: A Novel by Olympia Vernon (hyacinthony)
    hyacinthony: I was reminded by Morrison's poetic narrative voice at the end of part 2 of Vernon's narrative style. Both books convey a powerful and mysterious spiritual force embedded in the violence of post-slavery african american conditions.
    The Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman by Ernest J. Gaines (karmiel)
    karmiel: Both books include a strong woman who attempts to build her life as a free woman after escaping/exiting slavery.
    Mojo: Conjure Stories by Nalo Hopkinson (cammykitty)
    cammykitty: This collection of short stories is nowhere near as dark as Beloved, but it's worth following these tales to the crossroads.
    Bailey's Cafe by Gloria Naylor (PrincessPaulina)
    Sap Rising by Christine Lincoln (edwinbcn)
    Philida by André Brink (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: The true meaning of freedom, the price of freedom, cruel things people do in the name of love and cruel acts performed without love are the focus of these books.
1980s (8)
Reiny (7)

English (293)  French (5)  Spanish (3)  Swedish (2)  Italian (2)  Dutch (2)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (308)
An excellent story, and a very telling one where people can take a poltergeist for granted! While I found a certain comfort in the story and in the dialect, it also pulled me back to places that I remember from my youth that I really don't want to go back to. So I couldn't continue this book after about two-thirds of it. ( )
  FourFreedoms | May 17, 2019 |
Heart wrenching story but offers so much love and hope in the face of tragedy and dispair. ( )
  Kdichard09 | Apr 21, 2019 |
  ShiraDest | Mar 6, 2019 |
Perfect example here of a book that I loved to read and is chock full of stuff and issues and craft and emotions and things to talk about...and yet, I am deep in the throes of not being too interested in writing reviews anymore. Which explains why this review is appearing two months after I finished the book.

But I've been writing them for such a long streak, that I felt like I had to try. And then didn't.

--Really though, Toni Morrison is a genius. I loved every page of this. ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |
Through this novel, Toni Morrison pinpointed the trauma experienced by African American in slavery. Sethe, the main character escaped slavery. Still, she was not free.
  KennedyKing | Feb 15, 2019 |
"Beloved" is Toni Morrison's fifth novel, and another triumph. Indeed, Ms. Morrison's versatility and technical and emotional range appear to know no bounds. If there were any doubts about her stature as a pre-eminent American novelist, of her own or any other generation, ''Beloved'' will put them to rest.

downloadable .mp3 file

Morrison, Toniprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dekker, BesselTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vink, NettieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Beloved ( [1998]IMDb)
I will call them my people, which were not my people; and her beloved, which was not beloved. Romans 9:25
Sixty Million
and more
124 was spiteful.
I will never run from another thing on this earth.
Freeing yourself was one thing; claiming ownership of that freed self was another.
And though she and others lived through and got over it, she could never let it happen to her own. The best things she was, was her children.
Being alive was the hard part.
Nobody stopped playing checkers just because the pieces included her children.
Please distinguish between this complete 1987 novel and any abridgement of the original Work. Thank you.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0452264464, Paperback)

Toni Morrison gently reads her own Pulitzer Prize-winning work in the unabridged version of this riveting tale of ex-slave Sethe and the beloved ghost that haunts her. While Morrison makes occasional odd pauses in her reading, what is lost in smoothness is more than made up for in quiet intensity as the author reads words obviously deeply felt. Her intimate knowledge of the characters and their motivations lends this reading an authority that helps the listener sort out the breaks in time and dialogue in this complex story of a woman coming to terms with her enslaved past and the loss of her husband and baby daughter. (Running time: 12 hours, eight cassettes) --Kimberly Heinrichs

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:50 -0400)

Staring unflinchingly into the abyss of slavery, this spellbinding novel transforms history into a story as powerful as Exodus and as intimate as a lullaby. Sethe, its protagonist, was born a slave and escaped to Ohio, but eighteen years later she is still not free. She has too many memories of Sweet Home, the beautiful farm where so many hideous things happened. And Sethe's new home is haunted by the ghost of her baby, who died nameless and whose tombstone is engraved with a single word: Beloved. Filled with bitter poetry and suspense as taut as a rope, Beloved is a towering achievement. After the Civil War ends, Sethe longingly recalls the two-year-old daughter whom she killed when threatened with recapture after escaping from slavery 18 years before.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,780,869 books! | Top bar: Always visible