Beloved by Toni Morrison

Beloved (1987)

by Toni Morrison

16,521294173 (3.88)2 / 887
    Kindred by Octavia E. Butler (susanbooks)
    The Known World by Edward P. Jones (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    A Visitation of Spirits: A Novel by Randall Kenan (lottpoet)
    Cane by Jean Toomer (cammykitty)
    cammykitty: An often overlooked classic.
    Mojo: Conjure Stories by Nalo Hopkinson (cammykitty)
    cammykitty: This collection of short stories is nowhere near as dark as Beloved, but it's worth following these tales to the crossroads.
    A Killing in This Town: A Novel by Olympia Vernon (hyacinthony)
    hyacinthony: I was reminded by Morrison's poetic narrative voice at the end of part 2 of Vernon's narrative style. Both books convey a powerful and mysterious spiritual force embedded in the violence of post-slavery african american conditions.
    The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead (shaunie)
    shaunie: Morrison's masterpiece is a clear influence on Whitehead's book, and his is one of the very few I've read which bears comparison with it. In fact I'd go so far as to say it's also a masterpiece, a stunningly good read!
    The Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman by Ernest J. Gaines (karmiel)
    karmiel: Both books include a strong woman who attempts to build her life as a free woman after escaping/exiting slavery.
    Bailey's Cafe by Gloria Naylor (PrincessPaulina)
    Philida by André Brink (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: The true meaning of freedom, the price of freedom, cruel things people do in the name of love and cruel acts performed without love are the focus of these books.
    Sap Rising by Christine Lincoln (edwinbcn)
1980s (8)
Reiny (7)
Ghosts (121)

English (280)  French (4)  Spanish (3)  Swedish (2)  Dutch (2)  Italian (2)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (294)
There were several times I dreaded opening this book - I was always afraid to turn the page, to discover what horror waited. This is a brutal, honest work necessary for understanding our nation. ( )
  kcshankd | Sep 5, 2018 |
I read Beloved a long while ago in high school as required reading. I generally really liked it and it had an element of suspense that was somewhat haunting and added to the atmosphere of the storyline. Toni Morrison always provides a new perspective to my own reading and I appreciate her ability to weave a story together that really sends a message and makes the reader think. Definitely recommend this one. ( )
  justagirlwithabook | Aug 1, 2018 |

I get it-horrifying for sure. Why did it need to be so weirdly written? This was sure quite different than I expected the book to be. I have owned the book for years and finally read it for a book group. I won't be reading others by this author. ( )
  melanieklo | Jul 25, 2018 |
Toni Morrison's Beloved is one of the great and enduring works of American literature. It is a story of Sethe who was born a slave and escaped into Ohio, 18 years later she is still not free. She is still held captive by memories of Sweet Home, the beautiful farm where so many things happened. Her baby who died nameless and whose tombstone is engraved with a singe word: 'Beloved' still haunts her. The book is full of pain and is a hard book to read. Toni Morrison's beautiful prose is not to be missed though. ( )
  EadieB | Jul 15, 2018 |
Wow…what a harrowing story. I’ll admit to not having read a lot of stories based around the slave trade or black rights in the American south, particularly not those told from the perspective of a person of colour. I’ve read Harper Lee’s To Kill a Mockingbird and Go Set a Watchman, but Beloved is from an earlier time period and from a non-white perspective and was a real eye opener for me. The core story about the events leading up to the murder of a child and the subsequent haunting kept me turning the page, and though it was a difficult read I’m glad I made it through. ( )
  SadieBabie | Jun 23, 2018 |
"Beloved" is Toni Morrison's fifth novel, and another triumph. Indeed, Ms. Morrison's versatility and technical and emotional range appear to know no bounds. If there were any doubts about her stature as a pre-eminent American novelist, of her own or any other generation, ''Beloved'' will put them to rest.

downloadable .mp3 file

Toni Morrisonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dekker, BesselTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vink, NettieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Beloved ( [1998]IMDb)
I will call them my people, which were not my people; and her beloved, which was not beloved. Romans 9:25
Sixty Million
and more
124 was spiteful.
I will never run from another thing on this earth.
Freeing yourself was one thing; claiming ownership of that freed self was another.
And though she and others lived through and got over it, she could never let it happen to her own. The best things she was, was her children.
Being alive was the hard part.
Nobody stopped playing checkers just because the pieces included her children.
Please distinguish between this complete 1987 novel and any abridgement of the original Work. Thank you.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0452264464, Paperback)

Toni Morrison gently reads her own Pulitzer Prize-winning work in the unabridged version of this riveting tale of ex-slave Sethe and the beloved ghost that haunts her. While Morrison makes occasional odd pauses in her reading, what is lost in smoothness is more than made up for in quiet intensity as the author reads words obviously deeply felt. Her intimate knowledge of the characters and their motivations lends this reading an authority that helps the listener sort out the breaks in time and dialogue in this complex story of a woman coming to terms with her enslaved past and the loss of her husband and baby daughter. (Running time: 12 hours, eight cassettes) --Kimberly Heinrichs

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:50 -0400)

Staring unflinchingly into the abyss of slavery, this spellbinding novel transforms history into a story as powerful as Exodus and as intimate as a lullaby. Sethe, its protagonist, was born a slave and escaped to Ohio, but eighteen years later she is still not free. She has too many memories of Sweet Home, the beautiful farm where so many hideous things happened. And Sethe's new home is haunted by the ghost of her baby, who died nameless and whose tombstone is engraved with a single word: Beloved. Filled with bitter poetry and suspense as taut as a rope, Beloved is a towering achievement. After the Civil War ends, Sethe longingly recalls the two-year-old daughter whom she killed when threatened with recapture after escaping from slavery 18 years before.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,933,936 books! | Top bar: Always visible