Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop…

Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe (1987)

by Fannie Flagg

6,372128608 (4.12)1 / 315
Recently added byperidotty, laurapas, Jennifer.Pryke, private library, banjo123, MelTorq, levelsands, aijmiller, anicat
    The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Both stories are bittersweet - tales of hardship, prejudice and hope although they are set in very different places and very different times. Both are heartwarming, but best of all, both stories also had me laughing uproariously at one point or other. Fried Green Tomatoes jumps around but describes life, race relations and murder in a small Southern town during the Great Depression. Shaffer's novel deals with the occupation (and its aftermath) of the small Channel Island of Guernsey during WWII.… (more)
    Cold Sassy Tree by Olive Ann Burns (citygirl)
    Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind by Ann B. Ross (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Truelove & Homegrown Tomatoes : A Novel by Julie L. Cannon (Yells)
    The Interior Life by Katherine Blake (infiniteletters)
    The Well and the Mine by Gin Phillips (historycycles)

English (117)  Italian (4)  French (3)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  Catalan (1)  All (127)
Fabulous characters. An interesting way of interspersing accounts from the past with the here and now. ( )
  devilish2 | Sep 28, 2017 |
sept 2017

this is probably her best book - it's not as saccharine sweet as some others and although it's certainly not fine literature, it was enjoyable and even a little humorous at points.

i like the use of the epistolary format in general, but don't think that flagg does it well, or maybe this didn't work as well or me because of the heavy reliance on monologuing in the "present" section (of the 3 sections of time) when she's not featuring the newspaper articles. also the news articles are the part that is most small-town-hokey of the entire thing, so i'm disposed against it from the beginning. so that's at least partly why i liked the narrative of the old time the best, it was in traditional third person and not so dialogue/monologue-heavy.

it was kind of annoying the way it jumped around so much in time. back and forth is one thing but all over the place makes it a little hard to keep track of. (even, i guess, for flagg and her editors because she screws it up a few times when she puts the wrong year on sections or when she refers to something in one year that doesn't happen until the future.)

the relationship between idgie and ruth seemed less subtext and more obvious than i remember (except for the "Your friend" signature at the very end) but i'm not sure if a straight person would read it that way or not.

i am really not a fan of her work, so maybe i had super low expectations going in, because i thought this was alright. not particularly well written, and it makes me cringe to read about race when it's written like this (but in her defense she wrote it in the 80's, and was writing about the 20's, 30's, and 40's), but it was light and easy even while touching on real and meaningful issues.

i did also like the storyline of evelyn discovering feminism and herself.

"And when had that woman stepped over the line of having just enough balls to having too much?"

2.25 stars

june 2008 2 stars ( )
  elisa.saphier | Sep 24, 2017 |
Lonely Evelyn befriends elderly Ninny who reminisces about the people she knew and loved in Whistle Stop, Alabama during the Depression. He stories are supplemented by excerpts from the Weems Weekly, a weekly newsletter written by Dot Weems of the Post Office in Whistle Stop, and by third-person narrative that allows the reader to see a bit more than Ninny may have been aware of in Whistle Stop. Ninny’s tales mostly follow the exploits of Idgie Threadgoode and Ruth Jamison. Idgie was a tomboy who loved practical jokes and telling tall tales. She helped people out whenever she could and loved Ruth with all her heart. Ruth and Idgie opened up the Whistle Stop Café after Ruth left her husband in Georgia. The two of them raised Ruth’s son Stump together and were well-loved by the entire town. Meanwhile in the present, Evelyn rises out of her depression through her friendship with Ninny.
I saw the movie 15-20 years ago and vaguely remember enjoying it, but very little else. And that’s good, because this story has a couple of mysteries and I was surprised by both. Who killed Frank Bennett? (I had this one narrowed down to three characters and turned out to be completely wrong. It was great.) Who is Railroad Bill, who throws canned food and goods from the train for the poor black folks in Troutville during the Depression? Troutville characters also play a large part in the book. Sipsey and her son Big George both cook at the café and the story follows Big George’s children as well, especially Artis Peavey.
Overall, I really enjoyed this book. It’s funny and heartfelt, and it’s clear how much love Flagg had for these characters. Since it’s been such a long time, I think I’ll rewatch the movie soon. ( )
  Jessiqa | Jun 12, 2017 |
I love this movie so I was excited to read the book. The book, of course, is better than the movie. I am glad that I saw the movie first, though, because it prepared me for the shifts in time the book used. The book skipped around more in time, but I understood the purpose so it didn't confuse me as much as it could have. The book was better because the characters had so much more to them in the book. They were very multi-dimensional and the book did not limit itself to the social constraints of the time in the way the movie did. Definitely an enchanting read. ( )
  jguidry | Apr 9, 2017 |
Really entertaining. I'm looking forward to reading some others of hers. I've already purchased her new one!! ( )
  gail616 | Jan 3, 2017 |

Fannie Flaggprimary authorall editionscalculated
Langotsky, LillyDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Minor, WendellIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pozanco, VíctorTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I may be sitting here at the Rose Terrace Nursing Home, but in my mind I'm over at the Whistle Stop Cafe having a plate of fried green tomatoes. - Mrs. Cleo Threadgoode June 1986
For Tommy Thompson
The Whistle Stop Cafe opened up last week, right next door to me at the post office, and owners Idgie Threadgoode and Ruth Jamieson said business has been good ever since.
He wanted to get out of Chicago; the wind that whipped around the buildings was so cold that it sometimes brought a tear to a man's eye.
But who could have known that all the shiny shoes and flashy three-piece suits could never cover up the bitterness that had been growing in his heart all these years...
His main problem in life, at the moment, was that he loved too well and not too wisely.

"Watch out for Fannie Flagg. When I walked into the Whistle Stop Cafe, she fractured my funny bone, drained my tear ducts, and stole my heart."

Florence King

"Fannie Flagg is a first-class writer. This book is so much fun it makes me sick I missed the Depression."

Erma Bombeck

From the backcover of the Random House first edition (ISBN 0-394-56152-X

no description

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:44 -0400)

Elderly Mrs. Threadgoode relates the story of her life and of her best friend, Ruth, who ran the Whistle Stop Cafe in Alabama in the thirties.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,526,147 books! | Top bar: Always visible