Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop…

Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe: A Novel (1987)

by Fannie Flagg

7,028144848 (4.12)1 / 334
    The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Both stories are bittersweet - tales of hardship, prejudice and hope although they are set in very different places and very different times. Both are heartwarming, but best of all, both stories also had me laughing uproariously at one point or other. Fried Green Tomatoes jumps around but describes life, race relations and murder in a small Southern town during the Great Depression. Shaffer's novel deals with the occupation (and its aftermath) of the small Channel Island of Guernsey during WWII.… (more)
    Cold Sassy Tree by Olive Ann Burns (citygirl)
    Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind by Ann B. Ross (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Bastard Out of Carolina by Dorothy Allison (sturlington)
    The Well and the Mine by Gin Phillips (historycycles)
    Truelove & Homegrown Tomatoes : A Novel by Julie L. Cannon (Yells)
    The Interior Life by Katherine Blake (infiniteletters)
1930s (45)

English (133)  Italian (4)  French (3)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (143)
Kept me turning pages for an entire transatlantic flight, so that's a huge win right there: funny yet rich prose, warm characters, a mystery whose resolution I didn't remember even though I've seen the movie. So intrigued by what the book has to say about feminism and race in its past (1920s-1930s, mostly) and present (1980s). Unsurprisingly, the feminism was on point (especially the bit about feeling stuck between 1st and 2nd wave feminism) and the anti-racism...could have been worse, but is pretty outdated with a "can't we all just get along?" state of mind.

The way the text treats Idgie and Ruth's relationship vs. how the marketing materials (back blurb, discussion questions) do is fascinating. The text never mentions sex between them, but it's pretty clear they're a romantic couple with Idgie in the "male" role: Momma calls Idgie's first feelings a "crush," Poppa tells Idgie she needs to step it up now that she's "responsible for Ruth and a child," the town newsletter always refers to "the son of Idgie and Ruth." The publisher materials are coy about their "friendship." I don't remember how the movie portrayed it, but I want to re-watch and see? ( )
  SamMusher | Sep 7, 2019 |
This book for me is a solid 4.5 stars.

I am so glad that I found this book at the library and decided to read it.

I adored Mrs Threadgoode and all of the characters of Whistle Stop. I loved watching Evelyn grow into a stronger woman and develop a lot more confidence in herself as the story went along.

How the people stood together, stuck up for one another: black and white alike. Even stood up against the KKK!

But of the whole story, my favorites of course were Mrs. Threadgoode, Dot Weems, Sipsey & Idgie! Like I said, I loved them all, but those were my top favorites! The only reason I only gave it a 4.5 out of 5 stars was because there were some parts of the book I got kind of bored with. There were some stories that she talked about some people that just didn't really interest me but I am glad she put it in there still because I would have wondered what ever happened to many of them.

The ending had it's sadness and I hated to see some things end, but, there is one part at the end that will have you smiling and so happy! I just couldn't help but smile at the last couple of pages.

The love that all the characters had for each other was just amazing. Even for the time it was set in most of the story, and to see the love many whites had for their black friends and how they took up for each other in so many ways. How, even during the tough times, they were willing to still give to each other whenever they could.

This book is just about the love of family, friends and friends who become each others families!

There isn't a whole lot I can say without giving away too many spoilers for those who haven't read the book or seen the movie. I just enjoyed this little town called Whistle Stop, Alabama and it's cafe that was the center of their little world! It had me wanting to find a small little town with that same amount of love some where! (Just without all the racism of course! lol) ( )
  RamblingBookNerd | Jun 5, 2019 |
It took me a bit to get into this book. It was hard for me to relate to the characters with the jumping back and forth between time periods. However, once I got used to the flow and recognized all of the different players in the book (who they were and when and how they connected to the story), I began to enjoy each person. I didn't like every event or connection that happened in the book but that happens in life as well. I do not feel that some of what happened would have been accepted so openly during the time it was presented or even when it was written, but the overall thoughts of friendship, family and compassion work well for any time. ( )
  sgilbraith | Feb 8, 2019 |
Mrs. Threadgoode's tale of two high-spirited women of the 1930s, Idgie and Ruth, helps Evelyn, a 1980s woman in a sad slump of middle age, to begin to rejuvenate her own life. SOFT
  JRCornell | Jan 29, 2019 |
Told in alternating narratives;by an elderly woman in a nursing home named Mrs. Threadgoode and Evelyn, a middle aged woman scared and resentful of everything. The two become accidental friends while Evelyn waits for her husband to finish up visiting his mother every Sunday. Mrs. Threadgoode is desperate to talk to anyone and Evelyn is a captive audience so it works out alright. She spins a wonderful tale about growing up in Whistle Stop, Alabama and paints it so vividly, that Evelyn begins to look forward to their weekly visits. She bceomes invested in Mrs. Threadgoodes past and more interested in her own future. Mrs. Threadgoode's stories are so outrageous that it's impossible to not get sucked into it, especially when she starts talking Ruth and Idgie, two lesbians (although they are never called that) in the deep south that are the heart and soul of the town. For a town in Alabama they were surprisingly open-minded (about some things). The deeper into the story you get, the more surprises unfold and both narratives will be forever changed. ( )
  ecataldi | Dec 26, 2018 |

Fannie Flaggprimary authorall editionscalculated
Langotsky, LillyDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Minor, WendellIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pozanco, VíctorTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I may be sitting here at the Rose Terrace Nursing Home, but in my mind I'm over at the Whistle Stop Cafe having a plate of fried green tomatoes. - Mrs. Cleo Threadgoode June 1986
For Tommy Thompson
The Whistle Stop Cafe opened up last week, right next door to me at the post office, and owners Idgie Threadgoode and Ruth Jamieson said business has been good ever since.
He wanted to get out of Chicago; the wind that whipped around the buildings was so cold that it sometimes brought a tear to a man's eye.
But who could have known that all the shiny shoes and flashy three-piece suits could never cover up the bitterness that had been growing in his heart all these years...
His main problem in life, at the moment, was that he loved too well and not too wisely.

"Watch out for Fannie Flagg. When I walked into the Whistle Stop Cafe, she fractured my funny bone, drained my tear ducts, and stole my heart."

Florence King

"Fannie Flagg is a first-class writer. This book is so much fun it makes me sick I missed the Depression."

Erma Bombeck

From the backcover of the Random House first edition (ISBN 0-394-56152-X

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,852,774 books! | Top bar: Always visible