Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe (1987)

by Fannie Flagg

Series: Whistle Stop, AL (1)

8,088168851 (4.12)1 / 361
Mrs. Threadgoode's tale of two high-spirited women of the 1930s, Idgie and Ruth, helps Evelyn, a 1980s woman in a sad slump of middle age, to begin to rejuvenate her own life.
    The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Both stories are bittersweet - tales of hardship, prejudice and hope although they are set in very different places and very different times. Both are heartwarming, but best of all, both stories also had me laughing uproariously at one point or other. Fried Green Tomatoes jumps around but describes life, race relations and murder in a small Southern town during the Great Depression. Shaffer's novel deals with the occupation (and its aftermath) of the small Channel Island of Guernsey during WWII.… (more)
    Cold Sassy Tree by Olive Ann Burns (citygirl)
    Bastard out of Carolina by Dorothy Allison (sturlington)
    Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind by Ann B. Ross (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Well and the Mine by Gin Phillips (historycycles)
    Truelove & Homegrown Tomatoes : A Novel by Julie L. Cannon (Yells)
    The Interior Life by Katherine Blake (infiniteletters)
1980s (88)

English (157)  French (3)  Italian (3)  Catalan (2)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (167)
One of the most compassionate and brave depictions of life in the South in the past as well as a whimsical yet painful look at women's lives as well.

Fannie Flagg is a brilliant dialogue writer, able to transport her readers emotionally into the heart of her characters. ( )
  Windyone1 | May 10, 2022 |
This is a delightful tale of the Whistle Stop Cafe, told by a woman, Ninny Threadgoode at a retirement home to a visitor, Evelyn. She tells the story of Idgie and Ruth, who ran the cafe in the 1930s, and all the people that were in their lives. Ninny talks and talks and talks about the town and its inhabitants, and Evelyn is initially just letting her go on, but then, the story gets interesting and Evelyn can't wait to hear more. Old fashioned Southern charm, family, and caring for those you love all play a part in this endearing novel. ( )
  rmarcin | Apr 16, 2022 |
Hmm, this was a looooooot of racism. And fatphobia. But also lesbians? The stars are only for the lesbians and for Evelyn visiting Ninny in the nursing home. ( )
  Monj | Jan 7, 2022 |
I watched the movie like 5 years ago but never read the book so I thought I would give it a try. I really enjoyed it, although I found the format somewhat confusing. Once you get used to it though its pretty easy to understand. ( )
  mutantpudding | Dec 26, 2021 |
  revirier | Dec 13, 2021 |

Flagg, Fannieprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Langotsky, LillyDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Minor, WendellIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pozanco, VíctorTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I may be sitting here at the Rose Terrace Nursing Home,
but in my mind I'm over at the Whistle Stop Cafe having
a plate of fried green tomatoes.

--Mrs. Cleo Threadgoode
June 1986
For Tommy Thompson
The Whistle Stop Cafe opened up last week, right next door to me at the post office, and owners Idgie Threadgoode and Ruth Jamieson said business has been good ever since.
He wanted to get out of Chicago; the wind that whipped around the buildings was so cold that it sometimes brought a tear to a man's eye.
But who could have known that all the shiny shoes and flashy three-piece suits could never cover up the bitterness that had been growing in his heart all these years...
His main problem in life, at the moment, was that he loved too well and not too wisely.

"Watch out for Fannie Flagg. When I walked into the Whistle Stop Cafe, she fractured my funny bone, drained my tear ducts, and stole my heart."

Florence King

"Fannie Flagg is a first-class writer. This book is so much fun it makes me sick I missed the Depression."

Erma Bombeck

From the backcover of the Random House first edition (ISBN 0-394-56152-X

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,455,886 books! | Top bar: Always visible