Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe (1987)

by Fannie Flagg

Series: Whistle Stop, AL (1)

7,426154867 (4.12)1 / 342
Mrs. Threadgoode's tale of two high-spirited women of the 1930s, Idgie and Ruth, helps Evelyn, a 1980s woman in a sad slump of middle age, to begin to rejuvenate her own life.
    The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Both stories are bittersweet - tales of hardship, prejudice and hope although they are set in very different places and very different times. Both are heartwarming, but best of all, both stories also had me laughing uproariously at one point or other. Fried Green Tomatoes jumps around but describes life, race relations and murder in a small Southern town during the Great Depression. Shaffer's novel deals with the occupation (and its aftermath) of the small Channel Island of Guernsey during WWII.… (more)
    Cold Sassy Tree by Olive Ann Burns (citygirl)
    Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind by Ann B. Ross (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Bastard Out of Carolina by Dorothy Allison (sturlington)
    The Well and the Mine by Gin Phillips (historycycles)
    Truelove & Homegrown Tomatoes : A Novel by Julie L. Cannon (Yells)
    The Interior Life by Katherine Blake (infiniteletters)
1930s (61)

English (144)  French (3)  Italian (3)  Danish (1)  Catalan (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (153)
Haven't read this book in a long time, but haveing just finished "The Wonder Boy of Whistle Stop" the latest in the Whistle Stop series I really felt a need to start over reading the series, so back to the beginning. And the book was even more wonderful than I remember, the stories in it( it is a novel that reads like connected short stories) are captivating with a flaver of the times as they were. Yep, I will reread them all and enjoy them even more than the first time. ( )
  thosgpetri | Nov 14, 2020 |
Been meaning to read this since I first saw the movie, but I'm so glad I didn't. I don't think I would have appreciated the book as a young woman, since now I identify so strongly with Evelyn Couch that it's painful. Highly recommended. As good as, or maybe better than, the movie. ( )
  Jessica_Olin | Sep 17, 2020 |
The writing in Fried Green Tomatoes is fantastic, and the story is both engaging and very moving. I loved the main romance and the structure.

Unfortunately there is an impossible to ignore presence of white-savior-flavor racism. I assume it may have been progressive at the time (1987), as it clearly attempts to have an anti-racist message via depictions of racism and favorable/varied black characters. The author ultimately fails here though, which again I think is best summarized as white savior-ism (along with some other factors). So, I would only recommend reading if you think you can compartmentalize that kind of thing well. ( )
  blueshiftofdeath | Sep 9, 2020 |
So much of this book is a fun time and I love how accepted Ruth and Idgie are as a couple by everyone around them and Evelyn's aromantic feminist revelations, but damn if there ain't a shit ton of paternalistic racism and fatphobia. ( )
  irasobrietate | Aug 31, 2020 |
Gone Girl
  ksoni1 | Aug 8, 2020 |

Flagg, Fannieprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Langotsky, LillyDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Minor, WendellIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pozanco, VíctorTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I may be sitting here at the Rose Terrace Nursing Home, but in my mind I'm over at the Whistle Stop Cafe having a plate of fried green tomatoes. - Mrs. Cleo Threadgoode June 1986
For Tommy Thompson
The Whistle Stop Cafe opened up last week, right next door to me at the post office, and owners Idgie Threadgoode and Ruth Jamieson said business has been good ever since.
He wanted to get out of Chicago; the wind that whipped around the buildings was so cold that it sometimes brought a tear to a man's eye.
But who could have known that all the shiny shoes and flashy three-piece suits could never cover up the bitterness that had been growing in his heart all these years...
His main problem in life, at the moment, was that he loved too well and not too wisely.

"Watch out for Fannie Flagg. When I walked into the Whistle Stop Cafe, she fractured my funny bone, drained my tear ducts, and stole my heart."

Florence King

"Fannie Flagg is a first-class writer. This book is so much fun it makes me sick I missed the Depression."

Erma Bombeck

From the backcover of the Random House first edition (ISBN 0-394-56152-X

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,507,512 books! | Top bar: Always visible