Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind (1999)

by Ann B. Ross

Series: Miss Julia (1)

1,2034512,393 (3.56)64
Shortly after the death of her husband, a wealthy Southern widow is visited by an impoverished young woman with a small boy. A mistress? A son? Julia Springer can't believe it, only to discover that the whole town has known for years. But she will rise to the occasion when the boy is kidnaped.

Fun book. A really Southern flavor but maybe more than that -- a woman finally finding self. The one thing that bothered me was the presentation of Lillian, the African-American housekeeper. Although the author was careful to appreciate her wisdom in dealing with her employer's problems, there was also a tendency to use some of her stereotypical characteristics for humor. ( )
  phyllis2779 | Feb 4, 2021 |
Delightful southern fiction! Fun & enjoyable! ( )
  LTSings | Jun 29, 2020 |
The audio version of one of my favorite books. This is fun Southern fiction and the narrator did a good job. ( )
  LTSings | Jun 29, 2020 |
I loved this story...I loved the characters...most of them anyway! You have the "villains" in here like any other story....And their villains were that....Made you love to hate them! No, this isn't fantasy, sci-fi or anything like that...It's just regular fiction. Little bit of a suspense and having you wondering what's going to happen but knowing that things could work out.

Now, Miss Julia, sometimes got on my last nerve...but I adored her! But I could understand why she did some of the things she did and thought the way she did...but it was annoying still mostly because, at the age she is, she should know better...but...even that has a flip side because for so long...things went one way all of her life, and after she got out from under those things, they were still deeply instilled in her.

When I saw these books at my local bookstore, I grabbed one of each title that I saw and had to order this one online because it wasn't with the books I bought and this is the first in the series. But I do have the first eight (8) books in what I believe has at least fifteen (15) books total. I'm not quite sure if it has to be read in order, but I do suggest you read this first so that you can understand what's going on in the other books and how things ended up being how they are.

There is very little cussing in this book and Miss Julia and her people are spiritual people but you're not bombarded with it. I really can't say too much more than that without giving spoilers, which I try not to do often.

This was an easy, light read that I will gladly go on to the next one soon. I will read them between other books I am trying to catch up on and/or when I just need a light, cute, make you smile and/or laugh kind of read.

RamblingBookNerd | Jun 5, 2019 |
This book was a nice break from heavier stuff and it was better than I expected. I look forward to reading others in the series. ( )
  tkcs | Feb 23, 2019 |

Ann B. Rossprimary authorall editionscalculated
White, KarenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Alice, Charles, and John Michael
I'd just caught my breath after the shock of my husband's sudden passing when his last legacy showed up on my front porch.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,253,788 books! | Top bar: Always visible