The Well and the Mine by Gin Phillips

The Well and the Mine

by Gin Phillips

English (82)  Italian (1)  All (83)
Simple prose that packs a punch. In a quiet way this book takes on many social issues and everyday family issues. The characters are real and endearing. There is a history of coal mine workers in my family so I am drawn to stories about the mines and the people that worked in them. ( )
  carolfoisset | Oct 15, 2016 |
Review: The Well and The Mine by Gin Phillips.

The story was well written and the characters were created fully for the 1930’s in Carbon Hill, Alabama. The setting was a small mining town suffering the effects of the depression. This was also, during the Roosevelt’s New Deal where people helped one another survive the misery and anguish hovering over the whole country and unfair racial stigma still festered under the surface of daily life.

The story was based on a woman, late at night, dropped a small bundle into the Moore’s covered well near their porch in their back yard not knowing that nine-year old Tess Moore, in the dark shadows, witnessed the horrific scene. However, Tess did not recognize the woman who was tall with a large body frame. Tess told her family but they thought she was seeing shadows and letting her mind wonder somewhat as some young girls do at that age. The next day Tess did not drop the issue so they did have a sheriff look into the matter and Tess was right…Their was a dead baby boy at the bottom of the well….reports came back that the baby had died before it was dropped into the well.

While curiosity hung over the town no real investigation proceeded. Unless, a girl like Tess and her sister Virgie, a fourteen-year-old decided to do their own investigation which sometimes got them into trouble along the way. That incident will filter throughout the story to the end. In the meantime, Gin Phillips gave a first person perspective of all the Moore’s family members from their five points of views. She organized it in a way that was understandable to the reader and it never got confusing.

The youngest child Jack Moore, a seven-year-old wanting to be included in everything began each chapter by reflecting on his childhood. The parents Leta and Albert cherish their three children and made sure they never went hungry. The family was true on respect and hard work. Albert worked hard in the coal mines and was completely unbiased to any racism among the community people or any of his co-workers. Many miners were black and received a lower pay which Albert was not at ease with and he kept trying to befriend some of the men but they seemed to be scared off by ramifications.

The story was laid backed with many issues on the rearing of children, the individual labor at home, the miners working conditions and status of keeping a job, the small town issues among the community, friendship among the children, and Tess and Virgie’s investigation into the baby boy at the bottom of their well.
  Juan-banjo | May 31, 2016 |
A very nicely written book. Well-developed and robust characters. I like the perspective of the different voices. Looking forward to more books by Gin Phillips. ( )
  CarmenMilligan | Jan 18, 2016 |
A book that makes me wonder if Harper Lee ever donated her eggs. Wonderfully done. ( )
  dele2451 | Sep 25, 2014 |
Gin Phillips beautifully and accurately puts us in a mining town during an era before civil rights or OASHA, and gives us characters that are fully formed, complex, and warm blooded. ( )
  vdunn | Apr 30, 2014 |
To Virginia Kirby,
Clara Trimm,
Roy Webb, and
Carson Webb

You are
better than fiction.
I love you.
After she threw the baby in, nobody believed me for the longest time.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 159448449X, Paperback)

Amazon Exclusive:Gin Phillips on The Well and the Mine

The Well and the Mine is the story of one Depression-era family in an Alabama coal-mining town, and the single night that forever changes their view of the world around them. While the Moore family and their story are a product of my imagination, the world they live in was very real. It was a time and place shaped by the hard realities of poverty and racism, and there are still echoes of that world in the one we know today.

Let's start with 1931. Both banks in the coal-mining town of Carbon Hill had closed. The mining industry was close to shutting down, and 75 percent of the town's employment was tied to the mines. Property values were down 60 percent. For all the talk of an economic downturn now in 2009, the stark facts of the Great Depression highlight the gap between then and now. This was the Jim Crow South, with all the strictures of separate-but-not-equal in place. There was no Social Security, no disability, no Medicare or Medicaid, no aid for families with dependent children, no protection for unions. No heath insurance. It was, in large part, life without a safety net. And life was dangerous. If a man was killed in the mines, his widow and children could hope that neighbors or a charity or a church could offer help, but it was only a hope, there was no certainty. On the other side of hope was starvation and homelessness. Mining was demanding, mostly unregulated work. Each morning that a husband or father--there were no women in the mines yet--walked out the door, it was with a family acceptance of the chance that he might not come home. There was a very real chance that he could be killed during an average day's work. But that sense of life on a precipice is part of why this story appealed to me. In the midst of all the brutal labor and struggle and uncertainty, moments of beauty and transcendence have all the more power.

The plot of the book is entirely my invention. There was no baby thrown in a well, no investigation into the local mothers. Or at least none that I know of. But the people and the places do echo some real-life counterparts. Virgie, the Moore's oldest daughter, has my grandmother's sense of propriety. The youngest daughter, Tess, has my great-aunt's sense of fun. Their mother, Leta, has the efficiency and solidity of my great-grandmother, who died when she was 99 and I was 14. My great-grandfather, a coal-miner, died before I was born, but the stories about his razor-sharp sense of right and wrong are what gave Albert his backbone. My great-aunt still lives in the home my great-grandfather built, and I spent plenty of time in the house as I was writing this novel, sitting on the front porch and looking out over the woods, listening to the sound of the creek as I typed.

I grew up hearing stories about Carbon Hill in the 1920s and '30s being told across the dinner table or while sitting around the living room with my grandmother and her siblings. When I sat down to write the story of the fictional Moores, I delved back into my family's memories. Those memories helped bring 1931 rural Alabama to life--they gave me the sights and smells and the feel of the past. Bits and pieces of family lore found their way into the story, but also the domestic details and cultural perspectives that are hard to find in library books. Answers to questions like: What kind of underwear would you wear in 1931? What kind of floor cleaner would you use? How did a teenage girl feel about marriage? I never read good answers to those questions in library books, but I hear plenty of answers, simple and complicated, when I asked the right people.

And yet in the past, there are whispers of the future. The mining industry was unique in Alabama because it had an integrated workforce. In the mines, black men and white men worked side by side in the mines: It was a harbinger of things to come. Albert Moore wrestles with ideas of good and evil--of black and white--and comes face to face with complexities that haunt generations after him. Time and time again, he and the rest of his family struggle to do the right thing--and struggle all the harder to accept the fact that "right" may not always be such a concrete thing. It's that struggle, that drive to do what is fair and that need to see beyond their own perspective, that defines this family. And that struggle has as much relevance in 2009 as it did in 1931.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:52 -0400)

Witnessing what she believes to be the murder of an infant in a Depression-era Alabama mining town, a nine-year-old girl and her civic-minded family subsequently struggle with the darker side of their racially torn community.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Well and the Mine by Gin Phillips was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,834,448 books! | Top bar: Always visible